Backpack to carry field gear: Plate carrier, war belt, etc.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Backpack to carry field gear: Plate carrier, war belt, etc.

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:33 am

Looking for inexpensive solution to carry my range/field gear to and from.

I have a PIG plate carrier with IIIa plates, war belt, head set, knee pads, and bunch of other gear. I usually spread gear between range bag and rifle bag front pocket, and throw my plate carrier in the back of the SUV by itself. However, I would like to get a back pack where I can throw all this stuff into and be able to carry it all together. For inexpensive solution I am thinking MOLLE II ruck sack. Any suggestions?

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Re: Backpack to carry field gear: Plate carrier, war belt, e

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:27 pm

You could get the ILBE with the assault pack. Put the plates in the assault pack and either put that in your car or in the main pack towards your back and up a little. Then put the knee pads and stuff in there to brace it. I wouldn't leave the plate carriers where they can be seen outside of a bag for certain. Not that they're illegal (they might be in certain areas) but that they draw unnecessary attention.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:51 am

Large Alice?

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:05 am

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:Looking for inexpensive solution to carry my range/field gear to and from.

Any suggestions?

Gotcha covered!

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 am

I like the setup. Two nice front compartments for gear and tools. Two side pockets for knee pads and ear protection. Just not sure about the size. Looks rather small.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 am

zero11010 wrote:
CipherNameRaVeN wrote:Looking for inexpensive solution to carry my range/field gear to and from.

Any suggestions?
Gotcha covered!
I think the OP is looking for something a little more "Mature"

But seriously I think an ILBE or any other assault pack sized backpack will do. I just don't know how to properly carry it comfortably with a plate carrier, but it can be done. I am assuming a vet or someone in the military has a trick on how its done.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:24 pm

Any reason a duffel style bag wouldn't work for you? I've found they make better gear bags. It will be a tight fit using the assault pack.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:36 pm

I just recently got this backpack from LA Police Gear:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3- ... pack1.html
This thing is a lot bigger than I expected, I think your gear should be able to fit pretty easily. I used the MOLLE II ruck sack in the Guard and hated that damn thing, give me an ALICE pack any day over it, that and I hate UCP "camoflage".

Now I will go hide behind a wall of sandbags to avoid the oncoming fire for suggesting this
:crazy:

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:16 am

If you just want a cheap pack with good access and long term comfort isn't an issue, Large ALICE might be good. no cool kid points but it is wide and shallow so everything stays close to the surface and easy to get in and out. Less bulky and fiddly then the MOLLE II, should be cheaper too.

Better option: just buy a FILBE pack (bag only) and throw it on a cheap ALICE frame. similar shape to the large ALICE but looks cooler.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:50 am

Back when I was in we were issued some of these Tacticool wheelie bags they have back pack straps as well. Held every thing clothes armor boots including rifles if needed.

http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-packs/ ... onfig.html

I think mine is Eagle not LBT but same shit, I know others make them at various price and quality points

streetshark1966

Post by streetshark1966 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:29 pm

for the price the large alice pack is the way to go. I sell then from time to time and I only charge $40 and for that price you just cant beat it

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Seabag. Newer ones have two vice one shoulder straps and you can padlock it shut. The old ones were canvas and subject to dry rot but the nylon ones should last forever. Hauled my plates and all my other crap back and forth to Afghanistan a few times without a problem.
$30 or so for new, USGI on Amazon.

Assault LIfe, I just realized we are probably talking about the same piece of gear. So, what he said.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

JerryNguyen

Post by JerryNguyen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I just recently got this backpack from LA Police Gear:
This thing is a lot bigger than I expected, I think your gear should be able to fit pretty easily. I used the MOLLE II ruck sack in the Guard and hated that damn thing, give me an ALICE pack any day over it, that and I hate UCP "camoflage".

Now I will go hide behind a wall of sandbags to avoid the oncoming fire for suggesting this
Good backpack with me. I bought it last week :)
platejudge.com Best Plate carrier vest reviews guide

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:52 pm

nolongpork wrote:Back when I was in we were issued some of these Tacticool wheelie bags they have back pack straps as well. Held every thing clothes armor boots including rifles if needed.

http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-packs/ ... onfig.html

I think mine is Eagle not LBT but same shit, I know others make them at various price and quality points

These things are money. For just toting gear around I'm a big fan of the duffle type of bag. Because they lay flatter and you and dig through them they make more sense than a backpack. Plus all your kit stuffed into a ruck really is an award pain in the ass to carry.
Absit invidia.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Either one of the duffels linked, or a seabag. Packing a plate carrier into a Ilbe daypack would be a pain in the ass. Seriously, packing them for deployment that would generally be the first piece of gear into the bottom of my seabag, shit just doesn't fit comfortably anywhere else... even in a full size ILBE (with other kit inside, without it would just be a lumpy mess). There was one instance where I packed it in my ILBE during any serious use: We were wrapping up a week long field op and headed to the company bivouac to truck out (after hiking in). We were damn near out of water before we started, but an hour and a half later the platoon sergeant called for us to pack our kit (As the LT had us lost). Mine ended up stuffed between the lid and main compartment...during the next halt I just put it back on.

(Should be noted my experiences are with packing the inerceptor, spartan 2, MTV and FSBE.)

maxfarrand
Favorite Zombie Movies: Milla Jovavich...uh I mean Resident Evil.

Post by maxfarrand » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:43 am

USMC grunt. I've got some experience walking in armor under a load. Alice packs are the best affordable solution. If you have some cash, Alice frame with a FILBE ruck. It's a good set up, and your lower back will thank you.

To answer to Ronnyronin, you will always get cool points for the ALICE. It's like a mans version of the female black cocktail dress.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't think the ILBE assault pack is going to fit a plate carrier. I have the ILBE assault and corpsman packs, my Banshee Shellback w/ plates "might" fit in the corpsman pack but not much else goes in after that. The "Tacticool wheelie bags" mentioned above looks like the ticket. I've seen some similar bags come up for sale from time to time. I think that particular one is over $400.00.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:40 pm

JerryNguyen wrote:
ManInBlack316 wrote:I just recently got this backpack from LA Police Gear:

Good backpack with me. I bought it last week :)
I liked the first one so much I bought a second for my wife. They're our regular overnight packs.
@Cypher If you want to see them before buying, just let me know. I'm in Conshy every day and drive through your AO pretty regularly, too.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Dude I'm the gear whore from hell, but the best thing I did was just go to a sporting goods store and buy a big sports duffle bag (mine's adidas I think). Doesn't look retarded going to the car and back, and it holds shit!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

quino171

Post by quino171 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:38 pm

I have a PIG plate carrier with IIIa plates, war belt, head set, knee pads, and bunch of other gear. I usually spread gear between range bag and rifle bag front pocket, and throw my plate carrier in the back of the SUV by itself. However, I would like to get a back pack where I can throw all this stuff into and be able to carry it all together. For inexpensive solution I am thinking MOLLE II ruck sack. Any suggestions?

I have jumped all of the equipment in a MOLLE ruck. Flip the PC upside down so that the top of the straps are on the bottom and pack the plates in the middle that way they don't break. It shells out the bag. Then pack all of your stuff. You can do the same with the ALICE....but you lose a lot of room. But since all you want to move is the PC, belt and helmet......it would suffice since you don't have to take the plates out you ate gaining that room.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Return to “Other Gear”