Best affordable flashlight using current battery

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Best affordable flashlight using current battery

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:07 am

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.a ... yQkc4WGcik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty darn slick if you ask me. Twist for a user defined setting, either 5-20-50 lumens. Twist other direction for 140 lumens. Good enough to light up a room plenty bright

$26 bucks on Amazon
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 am

flybynight wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0 ... UTF8&psc=1

quite bright, reasonably sturdy. incredibly cheap price so you can buy a bunch and stash them everywhere. My everyday flashlight for the past eight months. Small enough to clip to a change pocket. Bright enough to illuminate area hundred yards away. Not a name brand and straight from China , but my wife and I both carry daily and like em. P.S> would make a lousy weapon mounted light due to the design of the adjustable focus.
I have one of these that has been serving as my pocket light for use at work and stuff for about a month, month and a half now.

It is a good little light, and really great for under $4.

A draw back: The front unscrews just as the back does. But because it has a little slider thing on the front that also rotates, it can be very trying to get it back on, or get it on tight at all. Locktite solves this somewhat. The flashlight can go in and out if the front is even a little bit loose.

Pros: The easy little beam adjustment is nifty and easy to use, and in its spotlight mode its pretty bright and has some good range on it. Not sure its 300 lumens, but its pretty bright.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:59 pm

angelofwar wrote:You want a Surefire??? They're are hands down the best "mass-produced" tactical light...but, they're too expensive, right? Well, if you want SF reliability, with-out the cost, it's a little known fact, outside the flashlight community, that Icon flashlights, designed/engineered by the same mastermind that designs most of SF's lights, Paul Kim, were made by SF, in the SF factory. And because the line never took off, Icons have been discontinued, and can be found dirt cheap on Amazon. Last week, I got three Icon Rogue 1's (1xAA) for $24 from Amazon. The normally go for $30-$35 a piece. Hope this fulfills your quest. They look a little "odd" at first, but it's easily overcome once you hold/use it, and see the quality in them.

These are, with-out a doubt, the best lights for the money you can get right now...once they're gone, they're gone...
I have an Icon Rogue 2 that I got for sub-$10 via Amazon. I don't think I could recommend it for a pocket or task flashlight. Firstly, the weird slots along the body make it the bulkiest AA flashlight on the market.

It's probably good that it takes AA batteries because I went through 3 sets of batteries in the first ten days of use (before relegating it to the 'pile of shit I don't use but that is too useful to throw away'). Yes, three sets of batteries. Not because I used it 24x7 or because I used cheap batteries; the non-recessed tailcap makes it incredibly easy to inadvertently activate. 8/10 times when I pulled it from my pocket the light was already on. Tossed it in my glovebox and it even managed to activate itself there.

No pocket clip or even a hole for a lanyard to keyring on the base also made it a poor pocket light.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Our facilities department (maintenance) here issues the streamlight stylus to us.

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Because pretty much any emergency, from a unusually heavy snowstorm to the zombie apocalypse, will result in a loss of power, I consider the flashlight to be the most important piece of preparedness gear besides food and water.

http://www.good-kit.com/blackout-flashl ... ness-gear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's definitely worth it to spend the $50-$60 for a high quality light made by a known manufacturer than a $10-$30 LED of questionable origin.

In this price range (or any price range) it's really hard to beat FourSevens. 10 year warranty, based out of the US, extremely active on Candlepower forums, and all of their lights are extensively tested by 3rd party flashlight nerds.

For EDC, I carry the Mini AA:
http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Black- ... B009159JEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a SHTF/ Do everything 2XAA light, the Quark X is unbeatable:
http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Quark- ... B007JO9HDG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:05 pm

emclean wrote:i am a fan of the streamlight sidewinder. it is currently the only light that i use that takes regular batteries.
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/produc ... ml?pid=168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thread necromancing.... :mrgreen:

I am a new fan of the Streamlight Sidewinder that runs on 2 AA batteries. (There is a new version that runs off of a single CR123). I bought a near new AA version at a gun show for $35 and spent some time last night trying out all of the functions. It is bonehead easy to use, very rugged and combines multiple light sources into a nice package. In addition to 4 selectable light levels it also offers a blinking function. If it was faster it could be a strobe but it is really just blinking. Using only two very common AAs and long run times was the main reason I sprang for it.

Most of my flashlights are Surefires and to me the CR123 is an Achilles heel of sorts. I used to have a lot of MagLights yet some of the issues I had with them turned me away from the brand. I've only purchased a few of the early LED versions and found them lacking enough that I have not revisited them to see how they have improved.

I did not see the Duracell pack mentioned. Sold at CostCo and elsewhere. Three flashlights with a claimed 250 Lumen max and two selectable light levels with a fast strobe for $33 US or less.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durabeam ... B00D3Y3JEE

What I did not like about them is if one of the AAA alkaline batteries even bulges without leaking, the plastic battery holder cracks.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Its an older thread but I'll just throw my opinion out there. I think that Fenix lights are the ticket. Especially for ones using AA or AAA batteries. I've had too many hardware and big box store LEDs either crap out on me, or run thru batteries like crazy. I especially appreciate the ultra low setting, for those times I don't want to blind myself when I just need to read something.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I bought one of these because I needed a cheap flash light for a task. I used it was damned impressed by the quality and brightness for $7.95. It uses a single AA battery and is about as bright a MiniMag LED.

It will not replace a Streamlight, Sure Fire, Fenix or a Maglight but for $7.95 and using a single AA I have found a good giveaway/spare even tool box light.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Comp ... 1vZc23tZfw

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 pm

this is interesting , i like it
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:47 pm

On my duty belt, I carry a MagLite XL200. It is an excellent light for $30. It doesn't offer quite the throw of a Sureblaster or Screamfright but it seems to be a choice for flooding a wide space with medium light. The XL200 is a solid light for considerably less cabbage than the competition.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:Its an older thread but I'll just throw my opinion out there. I think that Fenix lights are the ticket. Especially for ones using AA or AAA batteries. I've had too many hardware and big box store LEDs either crap out on me, or run thru batteries like crazy. I especially appreciate the ultra low setting, for those times I don't want to blind myself when I just need to read something.

Older and moldy yes, but I did not want to create a new thread on the same topic. :v: Glad that you chimed in. :mrgreen:

I have a friend who was an early adopter of Fenix lights and they were SO inexpensive back then! Now they seem to be "only" reasonably priced, LOL.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:26 pm

that not a problem, i usually don't use a compact flashlight as a Lighthouse spot anyway :rofl:
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Since we're talking flashlights, let's just say I love flashlights almost as much as my guns, but more than my knives. So I love them.

My 2 favorites:
-AAA: Rayovac Indestructibles. Brighter than anything remotely in its pricerange and size. I own 5, none have given me problems and I have tried to break one just to see since they are less than $15 at WalMart.
-D: Maglight LED with the 3D batteries. I have never broken a Maglight but I also don't purposely try to. I use it as a deer spotlight because it can shine over a football field and has a battery life of like 80 hours or something. ALSO... I found a fullsize Maglight at the bottom of the lake, with the batteries being expired 3 years before and all the paint eaten away from the aluminum... it still worked. I should probably send it to Maglight as a success story. But since then, I swear by Maglight

Note: My brother uses "Coast" brand lights, and while they are bright, they are pricier than mine, and he has broken a few on the job site, especially the lenses.

http://www.rayovac.com/Lights/Outdoor-L ... light.aspx
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/ful ... light.html
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:29 pm

that also interesting

i guess i gonna need a grocery flashlight list then :rofl:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:31 pm

azrael99 wrote:that also interesting

yeah.... the struggle is real.... then you have to buy batteries for them.... then it gets worse
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:05 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
azrael99 wrote:that also interesting

yeah.... the struggle is real.... then you have to buy batteries for them.... then it gets worse
Indeed especially when you like lithium batteries like I do. That is why I really like the single AA lights. :lol:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:48 pm

In the second post Raptor linked to the Fenix E11. It has been replaced with the E12
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights ... tle_sports

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:56 pm

ho ! thanks !! :D

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:11 pm

I totally agree with you on keeping to AA or AAA batteries. While the special batteries can have more light output, the availability and cost tend to make them less attractive.

I have 3 main flashlights. The Fenix LD22 G2, Foursevens Quark Tactical, and Energizer Night Strike LED Light with Swivel Head. all of them are good flashlights for different reasons.

I would highly recommend you check out the Energizer Night Strike line.

Night Strike handheld is priced a bit higher at around $100 but worth mentioning as it is a high output 3 AA flashlight http://www.bowhunting.com/videos/new-pr ... light_1071

All the Night strike line has been tested for durability and have done extremely well.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:51 am

Minimags, baby. Incredibly durable, very reliable, common cells, stupid simple operation.

Minimag Pro+: 245-35 lumen output, 2xAA, street price about $25.
LED Minimag: 84 lumens, 2xAAA, street price $14 (My EDC)
LED Solitaire: 34 lumens, 1xAAA, street price $12

As for Fenix lights, this is only one man's experience, but I've had 3 (E2D, E01 and one other I can't remember), and they're all dead from every day use and carry within 6 months of purchase.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

bc99

Post by bc99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:16 am

Unorthodox wrote:http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.a ... yQkc4WGcik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty darn slick if you ask me. Twist for a user defined setting, either 5-20-50 lumens. Twist other direction for 140 lumens. Good enough to light up a room plenty bright

$26 bucks on Amazon
I just bought this on your recommendation. I like it. It's a neat little light to keep around, and is slim enough for easy carry.

Thanks!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:10 am

bc99 wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.a ... yQkc4WGcik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$26 bucks on Amazon
I just bought this on your recommendation. I like it. It's a neat little light to keep around, and is slim enough for easy carry.

Thanks!
it also one of the more interesting that recommended too.

bc99

Post by bc99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Yes, you can set the secondary function, which I like. The cap screwed tight is the max output. Then you can set either medium, low, strobe, or SOS for the secondary. You access the secondary by unscrewing the cap.

I have it set max/min. It's a great little light.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:58 pm

I have a Fenix E-11, LED Maglite, and a few Streamlights. I also have a Coleman "tactical" LED that works well and is bright on 3 AAAs. I've never really been impressed with the output on the Maglite. My favorite is my Streamlight Polytac which does run on CR123s but I buy those in bulk for my TLR1 and don't find them prohibitive on cost.

Return to “Other Gear”