Best affordable flashlight using current battery

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Best affordable flashlight using current battery

Post by azrael99 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm looking to buy a few flashlight that would be affordable to be used almost anywhere (cars, edc, toolbox, home, at work, camping etc....) and that would be durable enough

i'm tired to get pseudo tactical flashlight that would stop working after a single fall that you can get at grocery stores or cheap army surplus.

i can't afford best quality flashlight, but i also can't afford to buy a new flashlight every week if you know what i mean

i also live in a area where *tactical gear* and *tactical battery * aren't common. so i need a flashlight using battery i can find in a grocery, like AA or AAA or D

when i say affordable i would prefer to be under the 50 $ range. i don't need a flashlight that could be used to call Batman with, but it must brighter than a candle if you know what i mean
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Best affordable flashlight using current battery

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:45 pm

There are a lot of choices that are good within the price range that use AA and AAA. There is no need to buy expensive CR 123a batteries. Even D cells are not really needed.

The Mini Mag has a bright setting and the low setting prolongs battery life. It uses AA. I like because you can take the head off and use it as a candle for 360 degree lighting.
http://www.amazon.com/Maglite-SP2P01H-2 ... ds=minimag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The maglight xl 200 is smaller and still very bright. It uses 3 AAA batteries

http://www.amazon.com/Maglite-XL200-LED ... aglight+xl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The classic Maglight with an LED uses 2 d cells. This is a great light that provides lighting and a club all in one package.
http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-S2D036-He ... s=maglight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fenix and Terralux also have some good choices.

This one runs on a single AA battery
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-E11-high-pe ... 6C0EHR943A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLF-3002 ... roduct_top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:40 am

The fenix E-11 that Raptor linked to is a fantastic light. Two modes that are easy to access/change, forward clicky switch, single AA battery, as bright or brighter than my old Surefire G2's and small enough for front pocket carry.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:11 am

Another option would be the Streamlight Stylus Pro. It's pretty cheap, fairly bright for its size (same length but slightly thicker than the average pen), runs off 2 AAA batteries, and is pretty cheap too (currently $22 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UC17E/).

Also, the Maglite XL series is pretty darn nice. The XL50 is bright enough to light up a room, and is about as simple as they get. The XL 100 and 200 have a bunch of extra options, though I can't seem to tell a difference in brightness. However, if you don't feel you need extras like a programmed option in your light to automatically strobe S.O.S. (I generally don't), the XL 50 is a cheaper but still good way to go.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:54 am

for the under $50 budget I'd recommend Fenix or jetbeam. I've had a long history of disappointment with mini-mags.
I'd also strongly recommend going AA. batteries are typically cheaper, higher output, and longer run time with a small increase in size.

I have personal experience with the LD 20 and LD 15

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.a ... d=10&cid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the LD 20 is more of a "tac light" with momentary tail clicky, the LD 15 is a good edc but not very tactical. the LD 20 is also very focused, so it does a lot with comparatively few lumens, and has excellent throw.
by brother has a jetbeam BA 20 witch also seems good (haven't been around it as much as the fenixs) but has more of a flood beam, not nearly as focused as the LD 20.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

tinythief

Post by tinythief » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:00 am

For around $25 I would recommend a stream light stylus pro. They take AAA's and are the size/weight of a pen. Mine has been somewhat drop/toss proof.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66118 ... B0015UC17E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 am

azrael99 wrote:I'm looking to buy a few flashlight that would be affordable to be used almost anywhere (cars, edc, toolbox, home, at work, camping etc....) and that would be durable enough

i'm tired to get pseudo tactical flashlight that would stop working after a single fall that you can get at grocery stores or cheap army surplus.

i can't afford best quality flashlight, but i also can't afford to buy a new flashlight every week if you know what i mean

i also live in a area where *tactical gear* and *tactical battery * aren't common. so i need a flashlight using battery i can find in a grocery, like AA or AAA or D

when i say affordable i would prefer to be under the 50 $ range. i don't need a flashlight that could be used to call Batman with, but it must brighter than a candle if you know what i mean
I need a bit more info. One battery or two? Do you have preference on modes? Low, med and high? What is it going to be? AA or AAA or D?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57 am

i am a fan of the streamlight sidewinder. it is currently the only light that i use that takes regular batteries.
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/produc ... ml?pid=168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 am

I'm a fan of the four sevens quark model, "pro" and "tactical" versions are very similar, minor differences, bot available in AA or CR123. I've dropped mine several times, usually on hard floors or concrete. Bought mine at MEC, who ship free in Canada orders over $50, and often have sales.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:35 am

that awesome

all those are awesome , now i can't choose hahahahaha
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 am

for now those that fit my need is

Streamlight 66118 Stylus

MAGLITE S2D036 Heavy-Duty

Fenix E11 high performance

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

yossarian wrote:The fenix E-11 that Raptor linked to is a fantastic light. Two modes that are easy to access/change, forward clicky switch, single AA battery, as bright or brighter than my old Surefire G2's and small enough for front pocket carry.
I like mine also. The light from a single AA is amazing. My only gripe about (and the Maglight XL) is that they are so small if I put them down I sometimes need another light to find them. So put a lanyard on them or keep them in your front pocket.

The other thing that I would suggest is what I am doing phase out using any batteries except AA and AAA. The D cells do provide longer run time but they cost more and take up more space. The run time with the AA and AAA lights are still great and two spare AA batteries or 3 spare AAA in your bag take up less space than a single D battery.

You can buy 16 AA for about the same price as 6 D batteries.

My other suggestion is that if you buy a quality flashlight that you keep only lithium batteries in the light or rotate out the alkaline batteries every 6 months. Lithium will not leak and if you rotate out the alkaline batteries they likewise will be less likely to leak.

zhins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, world war Z,

Post by zhins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm

I carry the streamlight stylus pro. Takes 2 AAA batteries about .5 in diameter and six inches long $30-40 from streamlight website, snap-on truck, Napa may still have them also. I thinks it has a 7hr battery life, at full battery it's 48 lumins falling to 4.8 when dead. Durable i have had one for two years now w it on to cement countless times, the package claims water resistant, I have seen one submerged in antifreeze, on, and working fine still. As I said I carry mine always I feel naked without it.
"Remember boys, spine is divine, but those knee's, they'll do just fine" (world war Z)

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 pm

interesting , can be a new option

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 pm

You want a Surefire??? They're are hands down the best "mass-produced" tactical light...but, they're too expensive, right? Well, if you want SF reliability, with-out the cost, it's a little known fact, outside the flashlight community, that Icon flashlights, designed/engineered by the same mastermind that designs most of SF's lights, Paul Kim, were made by SF, in the SF factory. And because the line never took off, Icons have been discontinued, and can be found dirt cheap on Amazon. Last week, I got three Icon Rogue 1's (1xAA) for $24 from Amazon. The normally go for $30-$35 a piece. Hope this fulfills your quest. They look a little "odd" at first, but it's easily overcome once you hold/use it, and see the quality in them.

These are, with-out a doubt, the best lights for the money you can get right now...once they're gone, they're gone...
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 pm

that also good advise thank you

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:59 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quite bright, reasonably sturdy. incredibly cheap price so you can buy a bunch and stash them everywhere. My everyday flashlight for the past eight months. Small enough to clip to a change pocket. Bright enough to illuminate area hundred yards away. Not a name brand and straight from China , but my wife and I both carry daily and like em. P.S> would make a lousy weapon mounted light due to the design of the adjustable focus.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:16 pm

flybynight wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0 ... UTF8&psc=1

quite bright, reasonably sturdy. incredibly cheap price so you can buy a bunch and stash them everywhere. My everyday flashlight for the past eight months. Small enough to clip to a change pocket. Bright enough to illuminate area hundred yards away. Not a name brand and straight from China , but my wife and I both carry daily and like em. P.S> would make a lousy weapon mounted light due to the design of the adjustable focus.
Would never be my main edc or go-to light, but I was VERY impressed by these lights. Due to the weird focus they have more throw then any single cell AA light I've ever used. I'm definitely buying a few to keep in cars and around the house.

And I also might tape the focus adjuster and mount it to an AK just to satisfy my curiosity :awesome:
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:34 pm

flybynight wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0 ... UTF8&psc=1

interesting to get a few of them just in case.

6shooter

Post by 6shooter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:56 am

For cheap, but great lights, check out the Defiant brand lights from Home Depot. I got a three pack of 3xAAA lights for $17 or 18 bucks. High, low, and strobe mode, Cree LED, impressively bright. I keep em in the glove boxes in the cars. I also got a 3xC battery one for about $22 that is a monster. It has a Cree XM-L LED. Throws quite a bit better than my Jetbeam BC40 or my Fenix TK35, granted the reflector is huge. No other modes but it's a lot of fun.

The Fenix E-11 mentioned above is awesome. I carry one on my keys every day. Really solid all around light for the price and size.
7mm Mag/9mm/Pie/Blue wire-green when I can't sleep

Warriors And Wonders, The Best Knife Shop in Vancouver

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:00 am

thanks !!

more option is always awesome !!!!!

Ruger44

Post by Ruger44 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:57 pm

The Larry by Nebo. Enough light to dress game. :clap:

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 pm

I have several of these and they are worth full price

http://www.lapolicegear.com/coast-tx40- ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:06 pm

i like that one too, good option.

Return to “Other Gear”