Best overall camo for SHTF

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

Best overall camo for SHTF

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am

So coming off of embarks thread where he was getting suggestions of rig colors, I was wondering what everyone was using. I have a mix of black, OD green, coyote browns, woodland camo and mossy oak/civilian hunting gear. I don't have anything picked yet, but I would be going from the woods of PA, into suburban, industrial and urban areas. That said, if there was some major SHTF event happened, and I would need to be on the run and fighting some enemy force in my area and I needed to pick a catch-all camo scheme, I would go with Multicam.

What do you guys think is the best overall camo pattern?

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Re: Best overall camo for SHTF

Post by Alpha-17 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am

This really depends on your area, and also the time of year. What works for Washington State won't necessarily work for Kansas, and that may not work for Florida.

I personally prefer MultiCam. It works year round in KS, is relatively cheap and available, and there is a ton of Kit in the pattern that can be had. That said, I also like odd ball patterns, and some of them are really pretty effective. All-Terrain Tiger works very well around here, and a seasonal tradition between Flecktarn and Wustentarn would also be very effective around here. The Rhodesian brush pattern would also be one that I think would be very effective around here, but it's also very rare and expensive.

One thing that I will say, for combat uses, hunting patterns have mixed results. Most hunting patterns are overly-detailed, and are designed for a very specific environment. They're also intended to be used when stationary. Back when I still played airsoft, I could always see hunting patterns while the person wearing them was moving way easier than most military patterns. That said, while stationary, some hunting patterns damn near disappear.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 am

None. look at the ACU/DCU experiment. One-camo-to-rule-them-all means a really shitty camo in all envirnments. Multicam was a step up because they said "okay, fuck urban terrain, gravel, and the desert" and focused on blending in to fewer environments, but you're fucked in snow too.

Figure out what works in your environment and use that. Subdued browns tend to work in most of the US until snow falls or unless you're in the wrong desert. Adding snow gear (goretex, pack cover) can help with the winter, but you may end up looking like this:
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:56 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:None. look at the ACU/DCU experiment ...
Yup. Too hard to cover all the bases. For me, I'm more concerned about the right clothing for the weather and environment, in mostly solid, natural colors so I don't attract too much attention. Unless I want to. :D

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:22 am

Prepare to be amazed..............ok not really, but most people don't think of this. :D

Most flannel or plaid patterned shirts make for really good camo patterns. If you pick one with natural hues to match your environment they disappear almost as well as any "designed" camo. Where they also excel is blending in with your local neighborhood hipsters at the Starbucks. If you want to draw attention to yourself try wondering into a coffee shop in camo.

I've hunted my entire life and have tried about every pattern and new space age cloth to come out in the last 25 years. I keep finding myself stepping backwards to wool garments and plaid patterns. They work as good or better for most applications and don't cost near as much.

If I had to choose an actual camo pattern I'm really liking what Kryptek is doing with camo right now.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am

I like plaid. The right shade and it will blend in a variety of environments. Good observation.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 am

None,

But damn doesn't multicam look sexy?

My .02c

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:None. look at the ACU/DCU experiment. One-camo-to-rule-them-all means a really shitty camo in all envirnments. Multicam was a step up because they said "okay, fuck urban terrain, gravel, and the desert" and focused on blending in to fewer environments, but you're fucked in snow too.

Figure out what works in your environment and use that. Subdued browns tend to work in most of the US until snow falls or unless you're in the wrong desert. Adding snow gear (goretex, pack cover) can help with the winter, but you may end up looking like this:
On a side note, camo verse bright white was no help during Return of the Jedi in the forest of Endor.

"Yea, that's right, your wearing Green Camo, and I'm wearing white and I still snuck up and got the drop on you, Bitch!"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:None. look at the ACU/DCU experiment. One-camo-to-rule-them-all means a really shitty camo in all envirnments. Multicam was a step up because they said "okay, fuck urban terrain, gravel, and the desert" and focused on blending in to fewer environments, but you're fucked in snow too.

On a side note, camo verse bright white was no help during Return of the Jedi in the forest of Endor.

"Yea, that's right, your wearing Green Camo, and I'm wearing white and I still snuck up and got the drop on you, Bitch!"

That brings up another good point. how much does color matter when you're in 100% concealment? Howabout on a ridgeline? Or walking through an open field? Or carrying a big black rifle around, or a radio antenna sticking off your gear? Knowing how to move and how to hide is far more important that what you're wearing, at least to a certain extent.

Then there's the other school of thought, often called "grey man."

Alpha-17
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:57 am

+1 For the pack cover/snow gear. Over whites are available, and there are several good snow ponchos on the surplus market right now.

Took this picture this morning after coming back from deer hunting. Figured with the fresh snow, it would be a good chance to try out the snow ponchos I ordered this summer:

Ponchos like this are pretty cheap, and all four that I ordered seemed to be in good condition. They weight about as much as a bed sheet, so you're not looking at a huge increase in weight to your pack.
Linky:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/416854 ... -snow-camo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Well down here I live mostly in a jungle enviroment. Jungle with low brushes but heavy vegeatation is present everywhere even inside cities. But camo settings are pretty much urban. My particular local SHTF scenario would probably be a social unrest / civil war so mostly a urban setup.

"camo" here would be looking mostly a non-attention getter or even trying to look like pro-government urban militias (usually heavy on red) if bug out is needed and you have nothing at hand. Here camo and blending with surroundings take another meaning, mostly looking like you belong to the unrest causing people.

My personal gear is a mix-up of various gear colors, mostly OD green, some stuff in Tan/Coyote, and some russian gear in Les and M21 patterns. I have a main setup in russian camo, although the camo is the less of my worries; the set is obviously compatible with AK magazines which would be the dominant rifle available if shit ever goes down. My other "frankengear" is a mix up of colors but I dont care much about that, I mostly care about what works and what doesn't. We aint got much choice, either.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Earth tones with a snow Camo jacket kept for some winter use.
Beretta accept no substitute.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm

In the woods around here, plain old olive drag actually works great and blends in nicely especially if you cover your face with a mosquito net...which works nicely since the mosquitos and flies can be really abusive.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:21 am

Black work clothes.

It is the one type of clothes that are the least likely to draw attention to you regardless of the urban setting, they are robust, hard wearing and practical(lot's of pockets, warm but designed for people that actually need to do shit while wearing them), they aren't ideal anywhere except at night but then again most people don't rely on camo to hide them in plain sight and tend to hide in the darker spots when there is a need to not be observed, if you are moving about in front of any type of terrain/woodland etc you are likely to be spotted regardless of the camo type so black is pretty much the closest you will get to universal camo and in work clothes you will stand out less in any urban setting than you would in black BDU's.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm using Austrian 70's dot pattern for winter / fall, US woodland for spring /summer...... pines local.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:12 pm

MasterMaker wrote:Black work clothes.

It is the one type of clothes that are the least likely to draw attention to you regardless of the urban setting, they are robust, hard wearing and practical(lot's of pockets, warm but designed for people that actually need to do shit while wearing them), they aren't ideal anywhere except at night but then again most people don't rely on camo to hide them in plain sight and tend to hide in the darker spots when there is a need to not be observed, if you are moving about in front of any type of terrain/woodland etc you are likely to be spotted regardless of the camo type so black is pretty much the closest you will get to universal camo and in work clothes you will stand out less in any urban setting than you would in black BDU's.
Black is literally the opposite of universal camo. It stands out in nearly every environment.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Black is literally the opposite of universal camo. It stands out in nearly every environment.
Actually it is the one color you are guaranteed to find in any environment, even in the middle of winter and snow there will be some black spots/spots with shade, black will always stand out when compared to any environment specific camo in its intended environment but all other alternatives will stand out in a lot of different environment where as black will have some potential for camouflage regardless of the environment.

So as far as the best color/camo regardless of environment is concerned, the closest you will get to something that has the potential to work in all of them is black.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:14 pm

MasterMaker wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Black is literally the opposite of universal camo. It stands out in nearly every environment.
Actually it is the one color you are guaranteed to find in any environment, even in the middle of winter and snow there will be some black spots/spots with shade, black will always stand out when compared to any environment specific camo in its intended environment but all other alternatives will stand out in a lot of different environment where as black will have some potential for camouflage regardless of the environment.

So as far as the best color/camo regardless of environment is concerned, the closest you will get to something that has the potential to work in all of them is black.
Black does not exist in nature. Mostly. See above about universal camo. Black guarantees that if you are doing anything other than actively hiding, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:51 pm

MasterMaker wrote:… the closest you will get to something that has the potential to work in all of them is black.
Doc's right on this one. Solid black is terrible. Especially at night.

Alpha-17
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 am

Agreed. Black is a terrible choice. Small amounts of black do help simulate a "dark spot", or shadows, depth, etc, but solid black stands out, even in the shadows. Dark gray or even a dark brown/khaki would work better.

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:14 am

Actually black does exist in nature. I don't know where people get this shit.

It's not that great of a choice for a camo though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Evermoore

Post by Evermoore » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:42 pm

The new Multicam colors are pretty sexy IMO..

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:20 am

I have a mix of subdued earthtone colors for most of my clothing, being various shades of khaki and olive or forest green depending on manufacturer. I found out accidentally that if you want to disappear in most of South and West Texas, a brownish Magellan work-shirt and OD or khaki BDU pants with boonie cover work just fine beyond a couple hundred meters. If I got separated from my survey crew, I'd be lost forever, so I went back to wearing eye-melting lime green or sky blue shirts with my workwear.

"Camo:"

Normal:

Return to “Other Gear”