Help me find a flashlight for my FAKs

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RonnyRonin

Help me find a flashlight for my FAKs

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 pm

I would like to put a flashlight in each of my trauma kits/BOKs/FAKs.

I'm fairly well versed in mid-range flashlights, surefire, fenix, streamlight, etc. and have owned quite a few. but I don't know low-end flashlights very well and can not find what I am looking for.

MUST have features:
1) single AA
2) push button
3) $20 or less

Preferred features:
single output mode, somewhere between 15 and 50 lumens. More modes are OK, but not preferred.

a lot of pocket lights run on AAAs, but I am trying to remove those from my life and certainly will not have spares in my BOB/INCH or fighting rig. I also have a solar charger that can recharge AAs.
My EDC light is a fenix ld15 that I have been very happy with. It is a twist-on light which means it doesn't get accidentally turned on in my pocket like my streamlight micro-stream used to, but it is pretty awkward to use one-handed and certainly would not expect to be able to with greasy/wet/bloody hands.
$20 or less is because I need to outfit about 5 different kits, and I'm on a collage budget right now. If I can't find a light in budget I'll have to buy fewer, more expensive lights and prioritize which kits get them.

And before anyone even BREATHS a word about mini-maglites, NO. I have owned several, and they have all failed miserably. My friend's have failed, and my families' have failed. I have seen more mini-mags fail then any other single product in my life. NO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Olight-i2-E ... 1c283bcf4b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is as close as I've found but it's a twisty.
if I was made of money I'd have a zebralight H51 in every kit, but I'll need a rich relative to die for that to happen.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

aus.templar

Re: Help me find a flashlight for my FAKs

Post by aus.templar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 am

For a FAK, unless it's for optical-response then dw about a flashlight.. get a headlamp.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:50 pm

aus.templar wrote:For a FAK, unless it's for optical-response then dw about a flashlight.. get a headlamp.
I was planning on mouth-holding but I've definitely considered headlamps, the problem is that the market gets even smaller. I bet a cookie you can't find a headlamp that meets my criteria. the rare ones that use AA are way over budget and usually fairly fiddle-intensive with the controls.

AK, Glock, Pie.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Get a headlamp..

Your not holding a flashlight and doing any real first aid.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:03 pm

You will thank me, I promise. I used a flashlight for 1 week in Baghdad , and then had my wiffe ship me a headlamp. http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights ... fenix+hl21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

painiac

Post by painiac » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm

It's unanimous: get a headlamp. The first time you drop your flashlight or have to touch or adjust it with bloody gloves, you're not going to want to put it back in your mouth...

docdredd, that fenix headlamp looks awesome. I'm definitely putting that on my shopping list.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 pm

There's the Fenix HL30.

TK-50 (larger - R), LD-20 (smaller - L) and the HL-30 (headlamp)

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.a ... ilGU7-9Kc0

It uses two AA's and it has several brightness settings (turbo: 200 lumens - High: 100 - Mid: 45 - Low: 4 - Red light mode: 4 lumens and SOS: 45).

They're $38.96 @ Amazon w/free shipping and on mine they sent me some rechargeable batteries and a nifty charger for free as well (that was a few months back, I don't know if they're still doing that or what). I've used mine a couple times, works real well.

So it's double the price of a cheapie flashlight and it uses two AA's instead of one. That's about the best deal that I know of on headlamps though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:21 pm

painiac wrote:It's unanimous: get a headlamp. The first time you drop your flashlight or have to touch or adjust it with bloody gloves, you're not going to want to put it back in your mouth...

docdredd, that fenix headlamp looks awesome. I'm definitely putting that on my shopping list.

This ^

I had an Iraqi civilian run a checkpoint because he was drunk. (Did not want to drink at home in front of his family so he thought he would take a drive) Well the SAW gunner lit up his car with a 30 round burst. But Allah must have been looking out for drunks and fools that night because only 2 rounds hit him. One in his upper arm Destroying his Humerus, and a ricochet that clipped his femoral. This was at night in the middle of the street during a power blackout.... So it was dark. This dudes shooting blood 6 inches in the air out of his upper thigh and Im supposed to save his dumb ass...... So in situations such as this holding a flashlight aint gonna happen.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 pm

For a FAK, I have to agree with other posters that it's a headlight you want, not a flashlight. Actually, most people who "want" flashlights actually need a headlight.

Having said that, and acknowledging that you said AA battery power is a must-have feature, if it's a simple, quality compact flashlight you want, it's really hard to beat the AAA-powered Coast G10 for free (well, $3.50 to cover shipping).

https://www.coastportland.com/surveys/survey-cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this light. It lives in the tank bag on my KLR 650. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I use this light. It's totally worth the $3.50 and your time completing the survey.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:28 am

What you really need is a headlamp(The felix docdredd linked is very nice and will do the job nicely). HOWEVER, if you are deadset on a flashlight, I'd recommend a Streamlight Stylus Pro. It's nice and small, it is under $20, but it uses 2 AAA batteries. It's my EDC flashlight and is perfect for lighting up small areas.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 pm

If I were to get a headlamp, I'd get the HL21. I had to talk my Dad into one to replace his Petzl, Its about the only headlamp on the market I like (other then the double priced zebralight) I wasn't blown away by the controls though.

what I'd rather have is a small flashlight and make my own headstrap, ala this:
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KLHB/Kl ... EDC-Lights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand I need two hands for first aid, no one needs to convince me.

having said that, I don't think anyone actually read my OP, if AAA was acceptable I would have no problems finding a light, there are hundreds of single AAA lights on the market that fit my needs, other then the fact that they are AAA. I'm a big believer in EDC lights and have tried several, I am happy with the one I have and know what I will buy if I have to replace it.

I'm starting to think the light I asked for might not exist, if no one knows of one I'll probably buy the Olight I2 I linked in the OP.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Like other people said, headlamps are the way to go.

But to play along and answer the OP's question...

I have a couple of the AAA Coast lights (Only branded as whatever...) that majorhavoc mentioned. I liked them enough to buy a couple, and they stand up pretty well to being used. I had one on my key chain for about a year.
majorhavoc wrote:Having said that, and acknowledging that you said AA battery power is a must-have feature, if it's a simple, quality compact flashlight you want, it's really hard to beat the AAA-powered Coast G10 for free (well, $3.50 to cover shipping).
For AA, the best I've found is Energizer's Tactical 1W LED light:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Tactica ... B0018OUWQO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, I've got a couple of them. They've held up pretty good. Again, I had one on my key chain for about a year. It took lots of abuse, and flickers now, so there is probably a loose contact or something. I'd still give it a thumbs up through.

ZS Hot or Not: Flashlights Edition (PICS ONLY)
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=89176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The top row is Coast AAA's and Energizer AA's
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

As the others have note, a headlamp is always a good thing. Occasionally, Costco will sell AA-powered 3 packs of really nice LED ones for $25-30. Not a bad deal, as they usually have 2-3 different modes, and can put out a bit of light, or a whole lot. Gearhog.com also runs a deal every few weeks for a LED flashlight that can run on either an AA or CR123 battery, and is in the 100+ lumen range in the $20 range. It isn't a head light, but it does work. Another suggestion would be a Maglight mini-mag. It is a 2 AA light, but you can get the LED versions most places. It puts out a lot of light for its size, and doubles as a wicked, but very innocuous kubaton or impact weapon. I was traveling in Europe this last spring, and I had a hell of a time trying to carry a knife with me in England. But nobody blinked twice at the minimag. The one other thing that I might recommend, even though it doesn't run on AA batteries, is one of the Everready head lights that they sell at most Walmarts. It is tiny, and powered by a 2032 lithium battery. I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it is inexpensive, and both the light and extra batteries are small enough that you can stuff them in a small pocket in your bag as an extra or a back-up. The last few times I went traveling, I made sure I had one in my backpack or pocket.

-Mb

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Murph wrote:
For AA, the best I've found is Energizer's Tactical 1W LED light:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Tactica ... B0018OUWQO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THATS more like it. bigger then I'd like but for that price I won't complain. I think we have a winner.

tell me about the button, will I need to tape it to keep it from getting turned on accidentally?

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:Another suggestion would be a Maglight mini-mag. It is a 2 AA light, but you can get the LED versions most places.
-Mb
Seriously? I'll give the benefit of assuming this is in jest.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:THATS more like it. bigger then I'd like but for that price I won't complain. I think we have a winner.
tell me about the button, will I need to tape it to keep it from getting turned on accidentally?
The rear tail switch for the Energizer is a standard forward clicky. You can half push it for monetary on, or push it till it clicks for constant on. (Same for the Coast light too.)

If you prefer a different switch method, I've got the River Rock AA light, and Life+Gear AA light. I can't remember off-hand which methods they have, but each is different.

I suppose if you really wanted to make sure any of them didn't accidentally turn on, you could unscrew the end cap half way or something. But you'd lose any water resistance they'd have.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:38 pm

A compromise would be a AA flashlight and a headstrap.

The Fenix E11 would fit right in but it's $27.
If you can find the Inova X1, that should be in the $20 range.

I'm streamlining all my gear to run on AAs since I have a Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus AA/AAA charger and Nomad 7 Solar Panel.

For a pure headlamp, the Fenix HL21 is my current go to light.
I have a Fenix LD10 (my EDC) and an MC11 angle light. Both run on AAs but cost about $45 each.

Regarding the LED Mini Maglite, it's a good light for the money if you could get past the PWM. Because of that, I really notice the flickering and it's very annoying. I keep mine in the car wih a spare set of AAs.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:16 am

I picked up a surefire helmet lamp on e-bay brand new for like $35.

You can get them pretty often for cheap since they are not as popular as the flashlights.

Good lamp if you are planning on wearing a helmet in a situation where you need to treat someone with an ifak.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Look at the Princeton tec byte. 15$ head lamp, runs on two AAA batteries.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:40 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Murph wrote:

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:Another suggestion would be a Maglight mini-mag. It is a 2 AA light, but you can get the LED versions most places.
-Mb
What's wrong with the minimag?

They're tough, inexpensive, reliable, and your old ones can be upgraded to LED. They're a great handheld light for in camp or when looking into rooms, packs, vehicles, or whatever, without being blinded by reflection. We've got probably 20 of them spread around packs, night stands, and cars.

Not the end all, be all flashlight, but a steady soldier none the less.
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Regardless of what you go for, I would say to get one with a green lense to flip into place. Blood really pops in green light and could be pretty helpful with your initial pt assessment.

As for the mini-mag, I used the same led one for years. Had it on me at all times on my last deployment in 07, hiked 700 mi withIit and had it for general use since. Its been a pretty bad ass light for me n I beat the hell out of it.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

painiac

Post by painiac » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:47 am

Personally, my experience with them has been that they are everything a piece of EDC gear should not be: Chincy, fragile, and unreliable. I've owned and carried five mini-maglites, and every single one of them has failed prematurely without abuse.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:56 am

Whats wrong with AAA?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 am

hotlead wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:
Murph wrote:

-Mb

They're tough, inexpensive, reliable, and your old ones can be upgraded to LED. They're a great handheld light for in camp or when looking into rooms, packs, vehicles, or whatever, without being blinded by reflection. We've got probably 20 of them spread around packs, night stands, and cars.

Not the end all, be all flashlight, but a steady soldier none the less.
Minimags are like having a horse on the highway. Back in the day everyone had a horse, and it will still get you from point A to Point B, but there is so many better and cheaper options these days.

A CREE LED flashlight will be physically smaller, more durable, significantly brighter and have tons more battery life than a traditional Minimag, even if you go thru the extra expense of upgrading the minimag to LED.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:27 am

http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E02-P2-Head ... B001SARHV6

I really like my E-lite. One of our corpsman swore by them, they come in a handy waterproof crush-resistant container, and they're wee. I think I paid $15 for P2 at REI during a sale.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Other Gear”