NIMH Rechargeable Battery Brand

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

NIMH Rechargeable Battery Brand

Post by Arsenul » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:01 pm

What's a good rechargeable NIMH battery brand? I'm looking to replace all of the batteries I use for different things with rechargeable batteries. I just can't figure out what battery will keep powering stuff the longest without needing to recharge it out of all the other brands. Can you help?
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

JayceSlayn

Re: NIMH Rechargeable Battery Brand

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Amongst the brands duking it out for superiority in the rechargable NiMH field, I've found Eneloop and Powerex to be the leaders. They both offer low self-discharge (LSD) batteries with decent capacity ratings, but with any secondary cell you aren't going to get the capacity of a primary cell - primarily because they need to beef up the cell architecture to handle multiple chargings without shorting out. And if LSD is important to you for storage concerns as well, you are going to pay a small penalty in capacity for that type of construction.
Last edited by JayceSlayn on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I use Eneloops and have had no problems with them.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Eneloops hands down...although actual ENeloops can be hard to find locally, "Duraloops" can be found every-where, and are basically rebranded Eneloops. To find them, just look for the white top duracell RC's. I have about 48 AA's and 36 AAA's and none of them have ever given me a problem.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Eneloop and Maha are my picks.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 pm

angelofwar wrote:Eneloops hands down...although actual ENeloops can be hard to find locally, "Duraloops" can be found every-where, and are basically rebranded Eneloops. To find them, just look for the white top duracell RC's. I have about 48 AA's and 36 AAA's and none of them have ever given me a problem.

Hands down the best.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Anyplace I can get them in Bulk at?
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Only the white top Duracall are Duraloops, the black top as Duravac's.

A lot of people say the Rayovac LSD are fine, but I've had some RayoVac's that were pre-LSD that wore out after 5 years, same with Radio Shack. I have Sanyos that are 15 years old now, I gave them to my kids when they were 10 years old and replaced the with Eneloops.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:45 pm

Enloop, I got mine in packs of 8 from Amazon. I also have seen them at my local Costco
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Str8Shooter

Post by Str8Shooter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:33 pm

I've been converting everything to eneloops and I have no issues with them at all. They are precharged (perhaps others are as well?) which is just like grabbing a new Duracell. I get them from amazon as well and with my prime membership I get 2nd day air shipping for free.
My Storage Locker Review - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=82803

ASSume I did search prior to asking my question. Thanks!

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:24 am

I'm planning on getting some AA and AAA eneloops as well as the D-cell adapters (my camp lantern is the only thing I own that uses D cells). However, what I need to know for sure is if they're compatible with both the Goal Zero chargers and the Energizer NiMH wall chargers, so I don't need to duplicate the hardware I already own. Both the Energizer and Goal Zero battery sets are relatively new, so I'm in no rush, but they'll likely need to be replaced within a year or two, and I like to replace the "free" stuff that comes with the equipment with something nice once they wear out.

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Just make sure those energizer are not the 15 minute battery cookers instead of decent chargers.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Crimson Phoenix wrote:I'm planning on getting some AA and AAA eneloops as well as the D-cell adapters (my camp lantern is the only thing I own that uses D cells). However, what I need to know for sure is if they're compatible with both the Goal Zero chargers and the Energizer NiMH wall chargers, so I don't need to duplicate the hardware I already own. Both the Energizer and Goal Zero battery sets are relatively new, so I'm in no rush, but they'll likely need to be replaced within a year or two, and I like to replace the "free" stuff that comes with the equipment with something nice once they wear out.
For the goal zero, relegate those batteries to tv remotes and stuff...and swap them for ene-duraloops ASAP so you can start reliabily using your GZ.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Return to “Other Gear”