Thoughts on Trail Camera's?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

modF

Thoughts on Trail Camera's?

Post by modF » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 pm

So not directly a piece of survival equipment, however it will help me hone my hunting skills. Can anyone recommend or give some thoughts on different trail cams? All three of these are rated 4+ stars, all seem to have mixed reviews. Having never used one, I'm not exactly sure which features are the most important to me. I plan on putting it in the woods in hopes of capturing deer and hogs, and perhaps on my property at some point for an extra security camera. I'd love to hear any feedback or other recommendations. I don't mind spending a bit more for a quality product, but if I can do fine with the cheaper one, that's okay too.

Cheapiest at $77
http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Truth-Cam- ... ail+camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both $138.xx
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trail-Ca ... ail+camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-M-880-Gl ... ail+camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ssdtopgun

Re: Thoughts on Trail Camera's?

Post by ssdtopgun » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 pm

While I do not have any of the specific models that you have listed. I do have game cameras from each of those manufactures. The best advice I can give you on game camera's is that you do tend to get what you pay for to a certain point.

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:03 am

I prefer the Moultrie's over most brands. Good quality, fair price and great customer service. The big question is Low Glow or No Glow (see below) and the answer is based on where you set them up. In an open field or larger open area, the one you listed works great due to the extended range. In a heavily wooded area or small opening I would go with the No Glow. I have found deer are more apt to steer away from an area in dense cover if they have been flashed by a camera versus in a field.

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-D-555i-I ... ail+camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

modF

Post by modF » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Those both sound like great posts and are exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll give the Moultrie D-555i a try, as I think most of where I want to be this year is fairly heavily wooded.

Thanks!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:02 pm

+1 for the moultrie. I've had about a dozen game cams over the years from cheap bushnells, wildgame to primos. IMO battery life and capture speed are the most important aspects to me.

It sucks when you have an SD card full of deer asses, or an sd card with only 30 pics because the battery died after a week.

BUT, I would still go with a price point that allows you to get multiple cameras. Unless you are hunting a very specific area, you will want more than one. Even if you are hunting a very specific area, it is good to have surveillance on routes in and out.

Also, make sure you have a map or GPS and note where you leave them. I let a friend borrow two of mine to set up at a lease because I could not go. We talked about exactly where to put them, but he decided he would relocate them. Spent an entire day looking for them...found one. I usually will put a bright orange or day goo yellow tape around the tree as well.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

modF

Post by modF » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:46 pm

I must have marked 20 new waypoints when I did my initial drive through of the lease on my tour of spots I want to come back to and scout further. The season opens here in roughly three weeks and I'll be away for one of those, so I'm playing catchup.

I figure if I at least see deer asses ill be in the right round about area :)

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I have no experience with the Moultrie (it does have impressive specs on paper), but that Primos is a piece of junk. Not a fan. The Bushnell is tight, though. We have multiple bushnells, similar to what you linked to, where I work and they are by far the favorites. The user interface is simple and programming time and date is a breeze. SD card is easy to access (not so much on the Primos). Fairly fast snapshot time after being triggered. And, most importantly, it takes decent pictures day or night. I also like the Bushnells because they are light and compact, easy to tote around in a pack and stuff. Finally, at least the Bushnells I've been using, sip on batteries. Very nice 8-)
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 am

want one to keep track of who comes in my drive way.Ifound the thread helpful.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

modF

Post by modF » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Just wanted to give a little follow up, I had such good luck with the first camera, I purchased a second and they are functioning very well. The pictures so far have been much better than what other guys are showing me, and I've even gotten some great night time videos. From what I'm told by others in the hunting club, they have to replace batteries every week, well these have lasted well over a month and they are not even Duracell's.

Thanks again for the recommendations and suggestions.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:19 pm

buck85 wrote:want one to keep track of who comes in my drive way.Ifound the thread helpful.
For that purpose I have 4 remote cameras with a wireless range of 200' that feed into a DVR connected to a monitor. I can see who IS on my property and also who has been there.
My system has infra-red ,LED and audio capability

Return to “Other Gear”