Worst knife you ever owned?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Worst knife you ever owned?

Post by greenbeetle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Curious to see what everyone thinks. Remember, you have to have owned and used the knife you post.

For me, Cold Steel Kudu. Threw it out because I thought it was too dangerous and otherwise useless to give away. Usually a fan of Cold Steel for the money.

Shadowalker

Re: Worst knife you ever owned?

Post by Shadowalker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:07 pm

That would have been a vintage 1988 'Cobra' (read that so bad but it still needed a sticker to make it out of tiawan) brand survival knife.

The hollow part with the threads for the compass end (lol) broke off just below the threads. then after a couple months in the truck tool box it finally did the blade/handle snap.

I would imagine the newer machined hollow handle knives from china will just do the standard blade/handle snap lol.

We are cold steel fans as well. Price vs abuse is pretty hard for anyone to beat. We all have cold steel bushmen on our primary and secondary bags. Hard to beat a knife, machete, spear/trapping kill stick, in one product. Then everyone has their own good knives, and one per group has a kershaw blade changer set for butchering. (older sets, not the new ones) Lets us boil out, for sanitation in a small pot.

Right now I carry a case hunter and a case trapper folder in addition to the bushman.

but yeah you remember the bad ones lol.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Hard to beat the $1 walmart camping folder for worst knife. I tested one for a comparison of uber cheap junk VS similar sized, over priced piss drinking buffoon folder (orange & grey, made ostensibly by Gerber, you know the brand. I won't dirty up my keyboard by typing his name!) ...Anyway, while checking the side to side play in the blade I accidentally broke the knife, yeah it just broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziXJ9QzPx8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's way too long, just skip to the last 30 sec. for the conclusion.

core404

Post by core404 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:33 pm

A Case Tri-fold. I had one in high school.
A weak design that was more of a novelty than a useable (by my standards, both then and now) tool.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 pm

The infamous $1 Walmart folder. I had to know.

The plastic handles cracked within the first couple of weeks of ownership. Which is to say more or less the first time I actually tried to really use it.

I tried to patch it together with duct tape, figuring I'd throw it in my GHB as a back up for my other knife. But with the cracked handle, the knife body lost a lot of it's rigidity and the locking mechanism was no longer reliable. It became unsafe to use. I still couldn't bring myself to throw it out, so I put it in the utility drawer in my kitchen.

Months later I needed to cut something and thought of it. When I pulled it out of the drawer, I discovered that the blade had started to rust significantly; deep enough to cause some pitting. That's when it went into the trash.

I know it's hard to believe that a $1 knife can be overpriced, but I'd say this one lists for about $1 more than it's worth.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Some no-name fixed blade I bought at a fair some years back. This thing had the most uncomfortable handle I've ever had in my hand, and it's was hard to call that grind an "edge", more just a beveled surface more like. Ended up giving it to a friend to use as a wall-hanger.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Lacerated1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead, zombieland, return of the living dead, Shawn of the dead, dawn of the dead, and any romaro film

Post by Lacerated1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Worse knife I ever owned, I never used. No name, plastic handle, and single side sharpening.

[L1]Lacerated1
KD0USE
KD0USE

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:43 pm

my worses knifes don't even have brand , or i never knew about, they were 420 and 440 made in china knifes that was like 5 to 12 $ each , and got them in flea market
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Gerber LMF. I'll catch some heat, most likely, but the damn thing couldn't hold a candle to the knife I bought after it, the ESEE 5.

Handle scarred up quickly, serrations, too much retention in the sheath ... It was trying to do too many things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 pm

As a kid I bought a lot of shitty knives. The coolest shitty knife I owned was a folding bowie knife. It had a 12 inch blade and a 6 inch handle. The handle and the locking mechanism were pretty well built, but the blade was cheap stainless steel that would get a roll edge if you tried to sharpen it. You could push the locking tab down and flick the knife open like a tactical folder.

The knives I hated the most were folding Barlow knives. Even oiled you needed a pair of pliers to open them.

The most overated knives I have owned have been Kershaw folders. I can't use them for long without breaking them. I use knives pretty hard though. Emersons are my go to now.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:57 am

Cold Steel Medium Clip Mate. When it broke under a light load to the swedge, it sheared the locking notch on the lock bar. Add to that their industry non-standard, 100% craptastic one year warranty on folders, and I was convinced never to buy their overpriced junk ever again.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 am

Scharade Clip Hanger.

Steel and blade shape were ok, the clipping mechanism was unique (and later on they made metal pocket clips if you didn't like the lanyard type)

now what sucked, was the thumbstud and liner lock. I could never get the knife snapped open in a hurry, and the tinfoil thin liner lock didn't hold worth a darn, the worst was trying to close the knife one handed where if you were not careful you would wind up de-padding your thumb.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:34 am

This hollow handle Rambo / Survival knife things that flooded the shops in the mid 80's. I had one of those around age 10.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:41 am

I thought I was going to have a new addition to this thread after yesterday. I picked up a hella cheap ($9) "boot knife" at a ren fair. 9" overall length, with a kinda janky but serviceable leather sheath and a decent handle. It looked cool as a wallhanger, so I figured what the hell.

:shock: Apparently the Pakistanians have at least some idea of what they're doing. The edge isn't the best, but dang if it doesn't hold it for a while. I used that thing all day to cut open boxes, slice zip-ties, trim wooden pegs for tent poles, and all other manner of chores. And the edge kept all day. :awesome: Could use a little touch-up, but definitely better than most cheapo knockoffs.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

mough

Post by mough » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:59 am

I can't narrow it down to one, but I have four.

As others mentioned the 1$ wallmart folder. I bought one to use at work as a beater knife for cardboard and such. It didn't last a day. The lock broke and the blade would dangle freely. Weeks later I found it on one of the packing lines. Someone on another shift dug it out of the trash, fashioned a new handle for it out of a dowel rod. amazingly they are still using it, though it has been resharpened so many times it looks more like a prison shiv than a knife.

The frost cutlery emergency service knife. http://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Emergenc ... B004BBNZ7Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one was only slightly better than the wall mart knife. The lock broke and the blade dug into my fingers.

Generic 1980's rambo survival knife. I got this one as a kid, and it is the 2nd most prized knife that I own, 2nd only to my grandfathers hunting knife from the '30s. It awful in every possible way, except the wonderful memories I have thinking I was such a badass. The knife in the video is the exact knife model that I have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdO6DWQBhY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last but not least is a gerber FAST tanto knife. The steel is so soft I rolled the serrations after cutting just a couple of flimsy plastic straps. It literally won't hold an edge, at all. I'll never buy a gerber product again after buying this knife. I'd expect this kind of performance out of the above examples, but I paid 50 bucks for the thing. complete garbage.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/GB00011 ... 10-Handles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 am

Probably a flea market butterfly knife. The whole idea of a butterfly knife seemed cool when I was 13, I guess I'm glad I grew out of that and still have all my fingers.

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 am

I agree those Kudus are crap, but they're what $5? You get what you pay for generally.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:15 pm

I had a whole drawer full of candidates for this thread a couple years ago.

The worst one was a Pakistani made boot knife that had a handle made from what was probably driftwood and a blade made from what probably used to be a front bumper from an old Chevy pickup. It didn't hold an edge very long, rusted if you looked at it weird and basically stunk out loud for anything other than opening letters. It still managed to suck at that as well.

It did teach me an important lesson, though. That lesson was to never buy a knife simply because it looked cool.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm

See, I have had some good experiences with the Walmart $1 folders. None of the 2-3 of them I have bought over the years were spectacular. But they worked reasonably well for cutting the twine on hay bales, or other simple cutting tasks.

The worst knife I have ever owned is a Fury. It actually has a good blade on it. And is better made than some of the various Pakistani things I have picked up over they years. But the handle on it is atrocious. It is stamped out of a piece of sheet metal, and every single corner on it, from the cross guards to the pommel are 90 degree angles that are almost as sharp as the blade. The undersized wooden panels on the sides of the handle only make things worse. They are polished slick wood. I have tried wrapping the handle, and a host of other options over the years, but none of them have worked well. If it weren't for the blade actually being good, I would have chucked it long ago.

-Mb

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Some Gerber folder with a tanto blade (never again...). It didn't keep an edge for long, and I never could get it decently sharp again. The steel was awful.

Honorable mention to the CRKT M16 (with plastic handle). Sticky opening that never seems to smooth out, and the blade was the most out-of-center blade I've seen in a knife when it was closed. It looked like it had been run over or something.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 pm

If you don't count the "Rambo" survival knives ordered out of the back of "Boys Life" magazine when I was a kid (yeah, the 80's were that awesome) I would vote for this Schrade/Old Timer that I bought to use as my first "real" hunting knife when I was probably about 12. Blade was about as sharp as a butter knife which made gutting deer a rather dangerous affair.

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Maverick299 wrote:If you don't count the "Rambo" survival knives ordered out of the back of "Boys Life" magazine when I was a kid (yeah, the 80's were that awesome) I would vote for this Schrade/Old Timer that I bought to use as my first "real" hunting knife when I was probably about 12. Blade was about as sharp as a butter knife which made gutting deer a rather dangerous affair.

I used to have the gut hook model of that same knife when I was a kid. It bore the scars of hundreds of sharpening sessions, which did nothing to help the crap edge.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 am

Cost to durability ratio, I haven't been happy with Gerber the past few years.

Worst of the lot was a Gerber Crucial multitool.
It hade great features but horrible execution
Belt clip snapped at the bend.
I got a second one thinking the first was an isolated case. I transfered the clip of the new one via the required torx screwdriver and it stripped the tread on the knife body. So I ended up using it without the belt clip. One time, I cleaned the multitool and as I was screwing back the screw which held the blade in place, the slot for the screwdriver suddenly shredded off. Now there's no way to tighten it.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Smü wrote:This hollow handle Rambo / Survival knife things that flooded the shops in the mid 80's. I had one of those around age 10.
I had 2 different ones. Both sucked, but this one I think every boy in my generation either owned or wanted to own but they were not allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gj9CMvwfv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”