jerk needle

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

chuckdog

jerk needle

Post by chuckdog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

"Borrow" a jeans or leather needle from your significant others sewing machine kit. Add this along with the waxed dental floss and multi tool in your kit. Now you have a jerk needle for repairing boots or whatever. Better yet epoxy it into a small rifle cartridge for a permanent handle.
Sorry if everybody already kows about this but I haven't seen it anywhere before.
Chuckdog

Exploriment

Re: jerk needle

Post by Exploriment » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm

"Borrow" a jeans or leather needle from your significant others sewing machine kit.
You couldn’t just go out and buy a needle yourself? I find there is this continual insinuation that sewing is for women, and heaven forbid a man be seen in public buying anything to do with sewing, lest he be thought of as some kinda homo, and I find it really fucking tiresome.

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Exploriment wrote:
"Borrow" a jeans or leather needle from your significant others sewing machine kit.
You couldn’t just go out and buy a needle yourself? I find there is this continual insinuation that sewing is for women, and heaven forbid a man be seen in public buying anything to do with sewing, lest he be thought of as some kinda homo, and I find it really fucking tiresome.
A significant other can be a man too. Interesting that you get butt hurt over your perception of a group you seem to relate to and then proceed to insinuate that “homo’s” are something less than men. Generalize much?

Also a shitty way to welcome someone new who is making an attempt to contribute useful info. Have you noticed that membership as well as viewership on the forum is down?

chuckdog

Post by chuckdog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't realize a little levity was against the rules
Yes I am a man. I have been married to a woman for 32 years.
I do sew. I have my own sewing machine and seger, have had for many years. I make and modify my gear all the time.
I have the skills and tools to make and repair just about anything short of an A bomb. Dont have the plans for one, but for some people I might be persuaded to make an exception.
I think I'll change the name of this post to Needle Jerk!
Thanks for your input.
Chuckdog

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 pm

"It's not sewing, it's upholstery" and Hank Hill considers it "one of the original industrial arts". If Hank approves then it is a manly and necessary skill.

How about some pics or vids of that needle epoxied into the cartridge and how to use it.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 am

Regulator wrote:
Exploriment wrote:
A significant other can be a man too. Interesting that you get butt hurt over your perception of a group you seem to relate to and then proceed to insinuate that “homo’s” are something less than men. Generalize much?
Regulator nailed it.

It's pretty tiresome to see 'much ado about nothing' you know...
Man is a beast of prey

BigKahunaFL
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by BigKahunaFL » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks Chuckdog! That's a great idea! No SO, so I'll have to go buy my own! LOL…

Welcome aboard.

:D

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 am

the_alias wrote:
Regulator wrote:
Exploriment wrote:
Regulator nailed it.

It's pretty tiresome to see 'much ado about nothing' you know...
Im from Massachusetts where two dudes can not only marry, but mack it on the street and no one casts a second glance, and the OPs post was incredibly sexist by design and intent and attempts to defend it are rediculous. I don't normally speak out in this regard but its too obvious to try and defend here. OP Take your lumps and own it

Im a straight dude with a sewing machine and kit, do i still have to borrow a needle from some one or can I use my own leather needles and punches?
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:24 am

What an ironic sig line. Now I haz sad. So much for trying to understand people with a different world POV.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 am

Okay guys, this thread is getting ridiculous. Points have been made for both sides of the debate, which isn't even why we're here.

OP, can you tell us what a jerk needle is used for? I'm not familiar with this tool, please educate me.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

chuckdog

Post by chuckdog » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 am

I had a tutorial I was going to put here today, but to hell with it.
For those who want to know check out a leather craft book.
I'm done I don't need this shit from posers and wannabes.

May you live in interesting times

Chuckdog

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 am

I do all the sewing in my house and even have my own sewing basket and machine.

It's very manly. It even has a little flowery liner.

I am secure in my manhood and have no need to 'borrow' anything.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 am

chuckdog wrote:I had a tutorial I was going to put here today, but to hell with it.

Chuckdog
Look brother, I feel for you. I used to frequent this forum all the time, but it has come to a rare occasion anymore that I browse, let alone post, because of the above ridiculousness.
The bottom line is that this place has been shit up by the loud ass minority who take issue with EVERYTHING. It gets old, then you learn to accept it, and then you realize there are other Zombie themed survival forums where membership is booming and growing, and the people aren't dicks.

I would have PM'd you this, but its high time the mods and everyone else start realizing that ZS has become a culture of know it all elitists that are generally unfriendly.

I will always have a special place for ZS in my heart, there is a vast wealth of information here, and when I google topics it usually leads me back here, albeit for old posts generally. It actually just makes me sad, not even angry, just upset really.

Thank you for posting the info about the needle kit, it was a good idea, and not something I have directly thought of. I appreciate the info and I understand your frustration for simply trying to contribute something. I happen to fall into the category of needing to borrow a needle from my wife's sewing stuff........not because I think only women should, or do sew. I wish it was a skill I had, I hope one day to learn, but you certainly aren't sexist by assuming that most men would need to borrow a sewing needle...... I would imagine that on statistics alone the vast majority of people who know how to sew are women. its a shame really. Absolutely no one judges a man who sews, this is 2013, if anything I assume most guys would be jealous of another guy with the skill.

Thanks again for the post.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 am

I'm with chuckdog.

There is too much intolerance of differing world view points on this site for me to continue to be a part of it in good conscience. This is not the first, second, fourth or forty-fourth time. I may look in from time to time to see if anything changes but the pointless self centered bickering is actually even more than I can stand and that is saying a lot. Trying to crush a new guy because he suggested borrowing a needle from the wife? Like woman don't fucking sew? Who needs this kind of shit?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:52 am

chuckdog wrote:I had a tutorial I was going to put here today, but to hell with it.

Chuckdog
I'm sorry you feel this way, and I'm sorry this thread has gone the way that it has. I hope you may consider hanging around a little longer, even just reading a bit more. There is useful information from useful people around here, it's not all a giant dick wagging contest.

Everyone else; unless you have a comment to make on the use or utility of a jerk needle, please stfu. It doesn't matter if you're a professional tailor, or a bum who wants this information to fix his last garment of clothing, that's not what this thread is about.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Hoppy wrote: Im from Massachusetts where two dudes can not only marry, but mack it on the street and no one casts a second glance, and the OPs post was incredibly sexist by design and intent and attempts to defend it are rediculous. I don't normally speak out in this regard but its too obvious to try and defend here. OP Take your lumps and own it

Im a straight dude with a sewing machine and kit, do i still have to borrow a needle from some one or can I use my own leather needles and punches?
Exploriment wrote:You couldn’t just go out and buy a needle yourself? I find there is this continual insinuation that sewing is for women, and heaven forbid a man be seen in public buying anything to do with sewing, lest he be thought of as some kinda homo, and I find it really fucking tiresome.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Does it work like this? He calls it an American Straight Needle but apparently if that sounds too homophobic it's also known as a McKay Needle

" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

carrion

Post by carrion » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:24 pm

I think that there was another post on a similar subject, one item that was mentioned was a Speedy Stitcher. I have used one for over 40 years and with a small kit of different needles and threads it really is easy to use. It a awl with a bobbin in the handle and extra storage for replacement needle. A great tool for your BOB or just around the house.
Look to the future but remember the past

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:52 pm

"jerk needle"

I'm unfamiliar with that term. Could you post a pic?

BigKahunaFL
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by BigKahunaFL » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 pm

This is what Google found…

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:39 pm

what does a jerk needle do that a regular needle doesn't :?:

never ceases to amaze how butthurt people get over the stupidest shit..
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:what does a jerk needle do that a regular needle doesn't :?:

never ceases to amaze how butthurt people get over the stupidest shit..
Maybe it's called that because you pull or jerk the string back through the garment because of the hook? I'm totally taking a shot in the dark, just a guess.

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:55 am

I've owned and used a sewing Awl in the past, think I got it from Tandy or the like; Seems pretty similar, is the difference just size / length or in the usage? (I am quite rusty on leatherwork, sad to say)
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:04 am

Blacksmith wrote:I'm with chuckdog.

There is too much intolerance of differing world view points on this site for me to continue to be a part of it in good conscience. This is not the first, second, fourth or forty-fourth time. I may look in from time to time to see if anything changes but the pointless self centered bickering is actually even more than I can stand and that is saying a lot. Trying to crush a new guy because he suggested borrowing a needle from the wife? Like woman don't fucking sew? Who needs this kind of shit?
QFT

Locked.

Disappointing.
Man is a beast of prey

Return to “Other Gear”