LED Lanterns?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

LED Lanterns?

Post by Akin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Greetings all!

Anyone have any advice about LED lanterns?

I'd like one that is durable, preferably waterproof (or at least heavy rain proof), and of course able to last a long time before needing new batteries.

Bright as can be would be nice, too; though some form of dimmer might be nice as well...

I was looking at the "Olde Brooklyn Lantern", 'cause I like the way it looks, but my experience with "As Seen On TV" stuff hasn't been the greatest...

Thanks!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: LED Lanterns?

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 pm

We have a Coleman CPX6

Coleman CPX6

Works great. Bright, low, off. 4 "D" cells, or rechargeable pack. I don't know how long it lasts, but I charged it up last year, and it lasted for a weekend camping trip last week. Water Resistant. I wouldn't throw it in a lake, but it operates in the rain just fine.

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm

We bought this Coleman Max rechargable LED Lanern:

Used it on a camp out in a primitive non-electric cabin and on bright with fully charged batteries its just enough to not really bump into things, not comfortable to read by. Disapointed.

We also have the old Brooklyn lantern:

Image and I would rate it just as useful/useless. I cant recommend either for a primary light.

At that Camp out on of my friends bought a Propane Coleman Lantern and that thing rocked! like staring into the sun on full bore.

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:21 pm

I've had a Rayovac Sportsman lantern I got on an impulse buy at Lowe's clearance section three years ago and have been very happy with it. I've used it more for when the power was out than camping, and it's still on the same 3 D cell batteries I put in in 2010. It saw me through my month long Field Camp in West Texas and New Mexico, and is a sturdy thing much smaller than the 6v battery-operated lanterns Dad had from the late 1980s by the same company. I'd recommend them to anyone, and I'd like to pick up at least two more for our hurricane/disaster kits at home.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, I've got a Coleman lanetern that runs on either unleaded gasoline or Coleman fuel, and it's bright as hell.

But I want something I can carry around in the back of the car with some other supplies, and I'm also likely to get several to leave around the house for the odd power outage.

I'm liking that Rayovac Sportsman lantern... 240 lumens is pretty damn bright!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Akin wrote: Anyone have any advice about LED lanterns?
Yeah. Black Diamond Apollo. Just get one. It's an incredibly well-engineered, very high quality modern lighting solution.

I also own the Brunton Polaris (solid, but a little heavy) and the Joby Switchback (endlessly flexible, but fussy in real world use), but the BD Apollo is in a completely different league.

crowdaddy

Post by crowdaddy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I have a Joby switchback. I have had it for almost two years. It has been great, right up to the point where it has decided to not work anymore. It suddenly started to turn itself off a second after it is turned on . Does this on every mode with both switches. Has not been abused, just started doing it one day. It's mostly just a couple of circuit boards, so I'm not sure if it's gona' get "fixed" by me. Kinda sucks for a $60.00 light.

crowdaddy...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 pm

crowdaddy wrote:It suddenly started to turn itself off a second after it is turned on . Does this on every mode with both switches. Has not been abused, just started doing it one day.
Sounds like it has a bad motivator.

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:09 pm

I'll stick with --------

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

ProstheticWeasel

Post by ProstheticWeasel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I had been looking for a lantern for awhile and picked this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1-5- ... bU08RXwCQE at home depot here. It does not throw a lot of light but the frosting keeps it from blinding you. For $10 I am going to pick up a couple more. I have not tried to abuse but it seems rugged enough. I suspect if you dropped it the battery compartment would open and the batteries would fall out.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I have two of the other Black diamond. They are an excellent product

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

movingchicane
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Luci inflatable

Post by movingchicane » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 am

I bought a couple of these inflatable led solar lanterns for camping/backpacking a couple months ago. They were on sale at the time at a price that wouldn't make me flinch if they had turned out to be rubbish. It turns out that they are awesome!! It is in no way super bright by any means, but it puts out enough to read or create a nice ambiance. They are light and pack down fairly small. There are three modes low, high, and strobe (which is more of an annoyance) I'm not really sure how long the battery lasts as I was only running them a couple hours at night and they recharge when the sun comes up.

Currently they are hanging in the back of my M109 as temporary work lights, so they have gotten any direct solar exposure but they still light up like new. Everyone I've shown them to has been really impressed so far, and I plan on picking up more just to have around the house. The only downside I've found is the switch can be difficult to press, as it is tiny and between the solar cells. Image
The cake is a lie

Mr_Dove

Post by Mr_Dove » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 am

I currently have a nice coleman lantern but since this is about LED, I've been wanting that Rayovac Sportsman for some time. Just the reviews are enough to make me give it a try.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Luci inflatable

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:53 pm

movingchicane wrote:Image
I bought a couple of these inflatable led solar lanterns for camping/backpacking a couple months ago.
Source?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

movingchicane
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by movingchicane » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Greenlife Adventure Sports in Ghent. http://www.greenlifeadventuresports.com/ I want to say they were around $10. I can bring one with me to the next get together if you want to check them out.
The cake is a lie

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38 pm

movingchicane wrote:Greenlife Adventure Sports in Ghent. http://www.greenlifeadventuresports.com/ I want to say they were around $10. I can bring one with me to the next get together if you want to check them out.
I'd appreciate that, but I don't know when I'll make it to the next one. The wife is scheduled for surgery on the 29th and will take a month or two to recover.

ETA: thanks maconcj7
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Well, probably not what you wanted, but a couple of years ago I bought 3 of those $5 mini LED lanterns at Walmart for me and the kids.... I think they were Ozark Trails or something like that. Now, I only use mine in the event of a power outage, as a night light when I get into bed(my wife is usually asleep before me so I don't turn on the lights), or if I have to get up from bed in the middle of the night, but I have never changed the batteries. The one kid has beat the crap out of hers but I keep putting it back together and turning it on and it works. The other one keeps losing the lantern but when it resurfaces, it works.

If I'm bugging out, I'm running to my bedroom and grabbing mine off my nightstand... the kids lanterns too if I see them.

H2L

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 pm

grennels wrote:I'll stick with --------

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've heard good things about those... actually, I think I have one in my Amazon shopping cart, "saved for later"... somebody recommended them once (Commander Zero, I think)?

But, for this specific purpose, I'm definitely looking for some sort of electric lantern. This is for "routine" use, ie., non-SHTF power outages and whatnot. Ideally, it'll be durable enough that it can also be used in emergencies, too...

But anyway, would you be comfortable running one of those in the house? Say, if the weather was bad and you had it all sealed up? I'm always leery about burning things indoors, even candles. Maybe I'm worried for nothing; I guess we did use lamps for centuries before electricity, after all; but I doubt old houses were as tightly sealed as modern ones...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Candle lanterns are nice, but an led lamp is much brighter. I have both and use the candle lamp for ambiance. If you want to really see what you are doing, get an led lamp. I really think the black diamond is the best one I have handled, and bought one and used it hard for almost two years. I still use it on every trip and got another with my rei dividend and it sits on my nightstand.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... it-lantern

shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 am

Well, the Black DIamond is only 45 lumens, while the Rayovac Sportsman is 240...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, I didn't say it was a klieg light... It's bright enough for any camp chores and reading, and won't blind you.

If I want really bright, I will break out a Coleman lamp.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:40 am

I just use a Fenix LD10. Durable and waterproof enough with a high IPX Rating then I just add a diffuser tip when I need a lantern. Will put out as much light as some larger lanterns but this is smaller and more durable.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_ld10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of diffusers and accessories.
http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How the light will look like.
It's much brighter in actual use.

I'm getting a Fenix TK22 so I have a 650lumen tactical light.
Also has diffuser accessories.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

dpurgert
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later.

Post by dpurgert » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:02 am

Most of the LED lanterns that've been mentioned are pretty good, though in my experience batteries tend to die at the most inopportune times.

For "keep it in the car" type stuff, LED lanterns should be OK for "stuck in a summer rainstorm" type situations where you don't want any more heat. For my AO, it gets COLD in the winter, and as such something that can make heat is a better plan (a single candle can heat a sedan by something like 8-10 degrees). Actually, the best bet for a similar AO would be something like the UCO lanterns with LED insert. Just picked up one from Amazon (plus "9 hour" candles), so not sure how well they'll work yet; and plan to swap out the LED bits for a pack of candles in the fall/spring (Labor Day/Memorial Day).

MFG specs say that the LED portion will run for up to 40h on a pair of CR2032 batteries, and that you get ~20 lumens/1900 BTU out of a candle (which lasts up to 9h).

For "keep at home" type stuff, I'm eyeing the coleman dual-fuel lanterns (gasoline and coleman fuel), and their propane lanterns. On the fence as to which one to buy, since dual-fuel seems like a better option long-term (due to fuel costs), though requires more money up front. Suppose it depends on how much camping I end up doing every summer 8-)
Last edited by dpurgert on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dawgboy: I knew a chick that carried a dog in her purse, everywhere... It was a tiny little Yorkie and it went literally everywhere with her...
cv66er: I prefer oatmeal bars. You don't need to waste time butchering, building a fire, etc.

Return to “Other Gear”