I need a suggestion on a cookset

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

I need a suggestion on a cookset

Post by Arsenul » Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 am

The title say's it all, I just need to get a good cookset. I have one, but I'm looking for something I could make a stew in. Any suggestions? Something affordable too.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

kevthemed
Favorite Zombie Movies: The 2008 Election process. 15 candidates...I mean...really??

Re: I need a suggestion on a cookset

Post by kevthemed » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 am

Personally, I carry 2 canteens with cups and cookers. Wet in one and din din in the other. Not big, but how much will you need to cook anyway? if you need a lightweight frypan, buy a milspec chow set, and a can of non stick pan repair spray.
I'll take the little one...She looks like she knows things...

Ahhh, America. the only country in the world to go from Barbarism to Decadency without the benefit of establishing a civilization...

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 am

kevthemed wrote:Personally, I carry 2 canteens with cups and cookers. Wet in one and din din in the other. Not big, but how much will you need to cook anyway? if you need a lightweight frypan, buy a milspec chow set, and a can of non stick pan repair spray.
I want to be able to make a stew or some tea if I need to but being able to fry a fish would be nice. Also he's my favorite character from Bleach. Kempashi.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 am

Been using a GSI dualist pot and one bowl, Look about a quarter of the way down this thread below and you can fit a whole lot of goodness in it. =) Hope it helps.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... i#p2220162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

Grant

Post by Grant » Wed May 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Here's mine, based on a small Kelly Kettle. The bright side is it boils water in under five minutes. The downside is it is a bit bulky. But you don't have to carry fuel, so that offsets it a bit.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 34&t=84404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Headshots...headshots...Do you know how to do anything else?!"

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Fri May 31, 2013 9:44 am

I have the MSR Alpine cookset. This particular cookset came with nesting 1 and 2 liter pots and a cover that does duty as a lid, plate, and "frying pan" (it's not the best backpacking frying pan out there and I have added a non-stick frying pan). The pots work well for stew, soups, and pasta based food and the frying pan works well for pancakes, bacon, and fish.

You might want to also do some research on cozys for your cookset.
KD8EIB

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 am

I use a Coleman Ultralight stove nested in a 1 qt aluminum pot: http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Terra-Wee ... uminum+pot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I also have this in my son's pack. http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpa ... pack+stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Which works well.
I also have 2 stainless cups nested around a Nalgene 1 L water container, a plastic spatula and a small fry pan. I use light my fire spork devices for putting the food in my cobbler hole.

I've cooked lots of stuff including hamburgers, toast, pancakes, rice, falfalel, and coffee. Lots of coffee. I'm known for that.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 am

A can of stew is 24oz, so all you need a pot that can hold a little over 24oz, and a spork. If you want to get fancy you can add a cup and/or bowl.

I personally own a Snow Peak 700 and GSI micro-duelist. Snow peak is going to be crazy lightweight and expensive because its Titanium. The GSI Duelist and Soloist is a good set, but I would shitcan the "Foon" that comes with it (I guess they didn't want to pay for the Spork trademark?), because they suck. The GSI is made of a coated aluminum, a little heavier than Ti, but its real sturdy. MSR also makes some nice Stainless steel stuff. If I didn't settle on my Snow Peak cook set, I would have tried one of those small Stowaway Pot.

Another cheap option is to get a Stanley stainless steel camp cook set, which is a 24oz pot with lid and 2 double walled plastic cups. You can find them in Walmart for $15.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 pm

I carry the GSI Dualist because its got cups, bowls and a pot, as well as the nylon bag it comes with works well as a water basin. The cups and bowls nest and inside you can carry a small can of fuel and a stove.Along with that I carry a 2 qt REI aluminum pot which holds all my kitchen utensils and such. I like the 2qt because I like to have hot water at all times I can fashion a pot stand over a fire or place it next to the fire and keep it on a low simmer. The large pot also works well because I like to have a nice kitchen set up for when I camp I have a dedicated kitchen knife in there, 2 sporks, cutting board, biosoap, scrub pad, kitchen cloth, spice missile, and some other things over all its not much weight and really helps to have a nice set up once you get where your going and I think it weighs in at around 2-3lbs.

The down side is that the 2qt pot takes a lot of room IN a pack but, I JB welded little hooks to the sides and have an elastic band keeping the lid on so I can strap it to the outside of my pack.

hope this helps some

Edited to correct the name brand of the Duelist
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

The MSR alpine set mentioned above is a cadillac of camp cookware. It's a bit heavy for long distance backpacking, but you could certainly pick a few components and only carry those. Canoe camping its great. For SHTF, in my opinion Stainless is the only way to go. I personally use a MSR Blacklite set for backpacking. Truthfully the blacklite set I carry with a GSI teapot inside is a little over the top for backpacking. Those MSR stow away pots are a great option for a single pot option.

If you are looking for something a bit bigger you might look at the tatonka line that is very popular in the UK and europe. I personally don't have any experience with them, but several of my friends across the pond swear by them.

http://www.amazon.com/Tatonka-4006-TATO ... B0036B81QU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Redsky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's stuff

Post by Redsky » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

I've carried the following for over twenty years and they have sevred me very well.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-75zV ... SL500_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.combatsportsupply.com/images ... 026450.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing fancy but they've met my needs
“Next time go faster! Fulton who the fuck told you that you could choke out a stenchie? Jesus!

Do I have to do everything?” he yelled at the squad staggering to his feet again.

“Oh he’s fine. He’s back in asshole mode.” Erica said

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 am

Arsenul wrote:The title say's it all, I just need to get a good cookset. I have one,
What one do you have?

Might help people from posting what you've got already.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 pm

If you can find them, one brick and mortar store has them here and I got mine off Amazon a few years ago but they aren't on Amazon right now, get a simple Zebra Billy Pot.

Mine in action - 12cm size. Fits about 4 cups of water (32 oz Nalgene's worth). Makes enough stew for 2-3 people, I make too much all the time. I am in the market for a smaller one like a 10cm or the like... another story really.

Pros:
Simple.
Versatile.
Tough.
Works all the time.
Made in Thailand - support my people!!

Cons:
Can be "action-packed" when you need to pour boiling water out of it.
Slight modification - remove some plastic locking bits.
Heavy.
Now, slightly hard to find in the US.

I have learned a lot using a simple pot. It is good and has directed me in the right direction according to my usage and needs (basically, showed me I want a "Mors Bush Pot").
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Kinda like a Zebra pot, the mucket is for sale multiple places.

Stainless steel with pour handle and loop for use with open fire

Search string 'steel mucket'
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:07 pm

I will also put in another good word for the GSI Soloist. Like mentioned above, the foon is crap, choose another spork or spoon of your choice.

Things I like about it:

A pot handle that locks and is coated so you don't burn your hand.
Clear lid so you can see when the water starts to boil and can turn off the stove sooner so you don't waste stove fuel.
A fuel canister and snow peak giga stove fit inside along with a bowl and a little Baggie of tea, coffee and spices. My spoon too.
It is pretty light weight compared to many option out there, but still has good capacity to do boil only meals or boil up some lip tons sides.
It is non-stick, unlike plain titanium or aluminum.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 am

I use a couple different things at different times. My favorite is the Jetboil and a MSR alpine pot. Definitely not the most low bulk kit but I like it. I also like the Esbit stove with a canteen cup. A few months ago I bought the stainless steal canteen Kit from The Canteen Shop - http://www.canteenshop.com/id82.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I've been meaning to post some pictures and/or a review of it but haven't had the chance/time. It's a pretty sweet kit though. A little pricy but I highly recommend.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

111t

Post by 111t » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am

Adam Francis over at e2e just did a review of a ss version of the Gsi dualist.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I love this pot so far, but I guess not really a cook set... I think it holds about a liter filled to the top, weighs 4.7oz and is 5.5" across the top, 3" tall.

Return to “Other Gear”