Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Re: Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet

Post by ppfd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:11 am

Update:
I emailed the company seeing as the product was pushed up to January.

I received my refund back to my card without any hassle.

If this works as advertised, I'll gladly pay full price. I was just a little leery as things stand now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

cssims

Post by cssims » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 am

Apparently they forgot to send out some email updates.

See here:

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most troublesome is the the update from November regarding communications. It's going to use GMRS & Amateur radio frequencies. While I recently obtained my amateur radio license due to wanting to learn about it, it bugs me that it's limited to 2m (136-174 MHz) and 70cm (400-480 MHz). So I feel this makes it completely useless comms wise. If you are in the middle of no where I doubt you are going to pick up a repeater. It seriously bugs me that it causes anyone who wants to use the comms to pay for the GMRS license ($85) &/or take the tests for Amateur Radio ($15).

I guess I'll have to wait and see in regards to other updates if I decide I'm going to get my money back.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 am

I'm not quite sure why you expected a handheld thing to do HF, to be honest. You'd need an antenna tuner and a whole lot of other ancillary gear to make that work, it would no longer be a tablet that has a radio in it, it would be a tablet with the head unit of a bunch of other gear.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 pm

They're still talking out their ass though as far as the FCC requirements are concerned, and still unlikely to gain FCC certification for this device. For one thing, they're taking pre-orders, which in itself is a violation of FCC regs (the regs prohibit offering for sale any device that has not been certificated) and they're foolish if they think the FCC is going to ignore that. Then there's the Part 95 and Part 90 regs. From what they're claiming, that it's in effect two transceivers that should not be a problem, but then they seem to say that they'll be sharing an antenna, which will be a big problem when it comes to Part 95 certification. Big as in "ain't gonna happen", because Part 95 requires the complete transceiver (including the antenna) to be separate from any other transceiver. They can share power sources, but not antennas. And their claim that you're "required to pay $14" for an amateur license is just flat out wrong. The only fee you'll ever pay for an Amateur radio license in the US is if you get a vanity call. That's a special service and the FCC charges for that. The $14.00 they're talking about is the typical (but not universal) testing fee VEC's are allowed to charge you for testing, to cover the costs. It is not an FCC fee however, and is not mandatory. Many organizations waive the fee or charge reduced amounts. I'm a VE myself, and I've participated in a few test sessions that were 100% free, with no charge for the test session.

Bottom line? They have almost 0% chance of getting this thing certificated as it is now being described.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah, glad I got my refund when I did. :)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:24 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:They're still talking out their ass though as far as the FCC requirements are concerned, and still unlikely to gain FCC certification for this device. For one thing, they're taking pre-orders, which in itself is a violation of FCC regs (the regs prohibit offering for sale any device that has not been certificated) and they're foolish if they think the FCC is going to ignore that. Then there's the Part 95 and Part 90 regs. From what they're claiming, that it's in effect two transceivers that should not be a problem, but then they seem to say that they'll be sharing an antenna, which will be a big problem when it comes to Part 95 certification. Big as in "ain't gonna happen", because Part 95 requires the complete transceiver (including the antenna) to be separate from any other transceiver. They can share power sources, but not antennas. And their claim that you're "required to pay $14" for an amateur license is just flat out wrong. The only fee you'll ever pay for an Amateur radio license in the US is if you get a vanity call. That's a special service and the FCC charges for that. The $14.00 they're talking about is the typical (but not universal) testing fee VEC's are allowed to charge you for testing, to cover the costs. It is not an FCC fee however, and is not mandatory. Many organizations waive the fee or charge reduced amounts. I'm a VE myself, and I've participated in a few test sessions that were 100% free, with no charge for the test session.

Bottom line? They have almost 0% chance of getting this thing certificated as it is now being described.
The problem with you people :wink: is you get hung up on semantics and the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law. Seriously, its a lot easier to explain to a layman without a license that "it costs $14 to get a license" than it does to explain that "license tests are almost universally accompanied by a $14 fee so volunteer testers can recoup their testing costs, but the license is actually free."

Also, if a baofeng and a wouxon can get certificated for part 90, and all the crazy software defined radios in use on the computer side of things can get certificated for Part 15 operations despite being perfectly capable of transmitting wildly out of their bands at much higher than the allowed power limits, I think it's safe to say that the world you're used to has changed significantly from the old days.

You sure seem like you're cheering for this thing to get shot down, whats your problem with it?
What do you have against this tablet?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm

crypto wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:They're still talking out their ass though as far as the FCC requirements are concerned, and still unlikely to gain FCC certification for this device. For one thing, they're taking pre-orders, which in itself is a violation of FCC regs (the regs prohibit offering for sale any device that has not been certificated) and they're foolish if they think the FCC is going to ignore that. Then there's the Part 95 and Part 90 regs. From what they're claiming, that it's in effect two transceivers that should not be a problem, but then they seem to say that they'll be sharing an antenna, which will be a big problem when it comes to Part 95 certification. Big as in "ain't gonna happen", because Part 95 requires the complete transceiver (including the antenna) to be separate from any other transceiver. They can share power sources, but not antennas. And their claim that you're "required to pay $14" for an amateur license is just flat out wrong. The only fee you'll ever pay for an Amateur radio license in the US is if you get a vanity call. That's a special service and the FCC charges for that. The $14.00 they're talking about is the typical (but not universal) testing fee VEC's are allowed to charge you for testing, to cover the costs. It is not an FCC fee however, and is not mandatory. Many organizations waive the fee or charge reduced amounts. I'm a VE myself, and I've participated in a few test sessions that were 100% free, with no charge for the test session.

The problem with you people :wink: is you get hung up on semantics and the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law. Seriously, its a lot easier to explain to a layman without a license that "it costs $14 to get a license" than it does to explain that "license tests are almost universally accompanied by a $14 fee so volunteer testers can recoup their testing costs, but the license is actually free."
Don't look at me, that's an FCC requirement that us VEs must never say that there is any charge for the license.
crypto wrote:Also, if a baofeng and a wouxon can get certificated for part 90, and all the crazy software defined radios in use on the computer side of things can get certificated for Part 15 operations despite being perfectly capable of transmitting wildly out of their bands at much higher than the allowed power limits, I think it's safe to say that the world you're used to has changed significantly from the old days.

You sure seem like you're cheering for this thing to get shot down, whats your problem with it?
What do you have against this tablet?
My problem with it is that they're doing their damndest to just rake in money, without a chance in hell of getting it certificated. And that's as far as I can say without getting into confidential areas.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:20 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Don't look at me, that's an FCC requirement that us VEs must never say that there is any charge for the license.

My problem with it is that they're doing their damndest to just rake in money, without a chance in hell of getting it certificated. And that's as far as I can say without getting into confidential areas.
LOL yeah but they arent VE's. From my perspective, it has cost every single amateur operator I know exactly $14 to get their license.

From my perspective, the people making the Earl are doing their best to do something new and get a really awesome sounding product to market, and getting heckled the entire time by old people like you who want them to fail, for reasons I cant discern. But they all seem pretty much agreed that its fun to laugh at the new company and giggle at the delays.

Maybe I'd have a clearer understanding if I was in the secret squirrel old radio engineer meetings, but since I dont get on HF and dont have a bad hip, I dont get invited to those meetings. :vmad:
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:52 am

It will be interesting to see where this thing goes. I really like the idea of a shock/water resistant E-ink tablet. I am just not sure about the inclusion of a radio. On the SW/LW side of thing, it doesn't cover all of HF. Being able to listen to the HF ham bands could be very useful in a disaster. Of course if it doesn't have an external antenna port, that limits it's capabilities as a short wave receiver. I am not sure how useful having GMRS/2m/70cm in a tablet would be. Especially since the current specs say it's only 2 watts. 2 watts through a rubber ducky wont get you much. I love operating QRP, but what makes QRP work is a decent/good antenna. also, if the radio doesn't have offsets and PL tones for repeaters, that would seriously limit it's 2m/70cm capabilities. I also have to wonder if they will get FCC approval. Even though the BaoFeng radios are FCC approved they aren't legal to use for FRS/GMRS/MURS. I think this tablet would probably be better without any radios other than WiFI, Blue Tooth and GPS/GLONASS.

If they do manage to get FCC approval and make them available at a reasonable price. I may have to pick one up.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:47 am

KJ4VOV wrote:My problem with it is that they're doing their damndest to just rake in money, without a chance in hell of getting it certificated. And that's as far as I can say without getting into confidential areas.
What confidential areas?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 am

74 or more wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:My problem with it is that they're doing their damndest to just rake in money, without a chance in hell of getting it certificated. And that's as far as I can say without getting into confidential areas.
What confidential areas?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:58 am

74 or more wrote:
What confidential areas?
Um... what part of "confidential" are you not understanding?

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
74 or more wrote:
What confidential areas?
Um... what part of "confidential" are you not understanding?
:lol: saw that coming.

What confidential information could there possibly be about the Earl Tablet? I just don't see what's so secret about anything in this thread.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:19 pm

I got out ... asked for, and received, my refund.

J
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jolly Green

Post by Jolly Green » Thu May 22, 2014 2:52 pm

I, for one, am excited about this project still. Even if the radio isn't included, for a ruggedized, waterproof, solar charged GPS tablet that I can store any backcountry manuals or books on and still use like any android tablet the price tag is more than worth it IMO

Seeing as how they just got the radio concept back from design and are submitting it to certification soon means that they are close to production, so I finally put money down on it.

Naysayers will always naysay, but even with half the features it promotes I'm totally down with it.
~Jolly Green Survival
"It takes 3 seconds to make a stupid decision"
ZS Paid Member, no thanks to staff failures...
WFR certified
CitizenZ wrote:while they have their legs up, jam a tube up their pooper and administer fluids through that.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:39 am

I still want one.

I've certainly lost more money on less ambitious projects working against greater odds just to see what happens. :crazy:

If MIB show up, I'll let y'all know.....
Boldly going nowhere

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Looks like a good idea. For long term bug out I would carry it inside a good tupperware
container with as many silica gel desiccant dehumidifier packets as I could fit
and maybe closed cell foam to prevent rattling around.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 am

I've been tracking this product for over a year and saw today that it's been pushed back again. After two months of silence on their 'Updates' page, the developer reported over the weekend that Earl's case had a high chance of failure if dropped and didn't meet their expectations for a 'rugged' tablet.

The developer has decided to stay with his existing production partner after considering changing manufacturers and "throwing in the towel." There was no mention of a revised delivery date but the delay will surely be measured in months and not days.

More info here: http://www.meetearl.com/updates/
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:38 am

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'd love it, if it happens...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 am

Its a shame. Reminds me of the way the military use to make electronics. By the time it comes out, it will be outdated.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:30 am

Just checked back in on this product and there has not been an update on its status for 6-months. A volunteer is moderating the backers' forum and is just keeping his head above water removing obscenity and threats. Early backers are pulling out at an ever increasing rate but the site continues to pull donations, which, at this point, the truly are.

If there are any 'B' School students out there this would be a great case study of how not to work a crowd funded project. My feeling is that if the developer had posted weekly updates vice semi-annual and engaged users on the Earl forum, he'd still have backers instead of critics.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:45 am

KYZHunters wrote:Just checked back in on this product and there has not been an update on its status for 6-months. A volunteer is moderating the backers' forum and is just keeping his head above water removing obscenity and threats. Early backers are pulling out at an ever increasing rate but the site continues to pull donations, which, at this point, the truly are.

If there are any 'B' School students out there this would be a great case study of how not to work a crowd funded project. My feeling is that if the developer had posted weekly updates vice semi-annual and engaged users on the Earl forum, he'd still have backers instead of critics.
Thanks for the update. If nothing else, this shows the hazards of trying to make a new product - offshore or not....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Other Gear”