US Army Camouflage Improvement Effort

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

irukandji

US Army Camouflage Improvement Effort

Post by irukandji » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Couple interesting new designs, especially the ones from Kryptek. Here are some links to some of the patterns, not in the service so maybe someone can add some more info.
http://www.armynavyblog.com/2013/04/wha ... ttern.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ADS - http://www.invictustacticalreview.com/b ... show-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brookwood - http://soldiersystems.net/2012/03/06/th ... ubmission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kryptek - http://www.soldiersystems.net/2011/12/08/kryptek-leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crye Precision - No link to pattern, Multicam I'm guessing?

U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC) - No link to pattern.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: US Army Camouflage Improvement Effort

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 pm

I really wouldn't mind ATACS or Multicam becoming the next adoption. I lean towards ATACS because they already have it designed for green and not so green areas.

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:56 pm

They already have the supply chain setup for Multicam. It's a good all around pattern. Just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Whiskey wrote:They already have the supply chain setup for Multicam. It's a good all around pattern. Just do it.
I wouldn't bitch at all about Multicam being the new hotness, but using the supply line as the reason is just an easy out. I think Multicam has the same shortfall as the crap currently issued. I mean, it at least works in a couple of environments, but it's not a be all pattern. Afaik, there isn't an awesome cool sauce that does it all, which is why I lean towards ATACS (or something similarly effective) that has patterns for different areas. If they changed up Multicam's colors, I'd be all in. The pattern works. Heck, I'd be all in if they changed the colors of ACU/ABU. The patterns are fine, the colors suck hairy monkey scrotum.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
Whiskey wrote:They already have the supply chain setup for Multicam. It's a good all around pattern. Just do it.
I wouldn't bitch at all about Multicam being the new hotness, but using the supply line as the reason is just an easy out. I think Multicam has the same shortfall as the crap currently issued. I mean, it at least works in a couple of environments, but it's not a be all pattern. Afaik, there isn't an awesome cool sauce that does it all, which is why I lean towards ATACS (or something similarly effective) that has patterns for different areas. If they changed up Multicam's colors, I'd be all in. The pattern works. Heck, I'd be all in if they changed the colors of ACU/ABU. The patterns are fine, the colors suck hairy monkey scrotum.
Man, who could have predicted that trying to use 1 pattern for everything wouldn't work? Surely no one though ahead ad made two differentcamo patterns that would cover a broader spectrum of seasons and environs!

Except the Marines...:mrgreen:

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Man, who could have predicted that trying to use 1 pattern for everything wouldn't work? Surely no one though ahead ad made two differentcamo patterns that would cover a broader spectrum of seasons and environs!

I would really love to give the Marines credit for coming up with something useful, but all they did was replace a Maple Leaf with a Globe and Anchor. I give them credit for not going full retard though.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Man, who could have predicted that trying to use 1 pattern for everything wouldn't work? Surely no one though ahead ad made two differentcamo patterns that would cover a broader spectrum of seasons and environs!

I would really love to give the Marines credit for coming up with something useful, but all they did was replace a Maple Leaf with a Globe and Anchor. I give them credit for not going full retard though.
Yeah, and the British had different uniforms for different environments long before WWII. I just get a kick out of ACU.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:14 am

The Marines had green/brown reversible cammies in 1942.........just sayin'
"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

Achilles21

Post by Achilles21 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 am

I think we should all rock the special operations uniforms. IBA, tac pants, Oakleys, and flip flops.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 am

I'm not saying one pattern is perfect for everything either. But especially with military budgets getting cut, you know cost is going to be a big issue now more than ever.

I love ATACS. But having a supply chain in place for Multicam is a big bonus. And Multicam does work in a multitude of environments, better than UCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:46 am

Sheesh, you guys dropped the ball on this one.

This video shows the best new camo available:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxlbHaErRk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:36 am

Dave_M wrote:Sheesh, you guys dropped the ball on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxlbHaErRk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clap: HA!

The eagle helmet kills me. Guess I have to throw out all my multicam stuff now
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 am

Lol that Dr's. mustache :awesome:

Time for the obligatory...

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:47 am

America, Fuck yeah!
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:57 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:
Whiskey wrote:Heck, I'd be all in if they changed the colors of ACU/ABU. The patterns are fine, the colors suck hairy monkey scrotum.
Here's the irony. CADPAT, MARPAT, UCP, and NWU are all the same pattern, just with different color pallets.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:00 am

How come these clowns get machine guns and I don't?

:cry:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Assuming we won't get sued into poverty, I'd love someone to do a mockup of Multicam in a more woodland/tropical and desert/arid colorway with the original pattern in the middle showing itself as a transitional pattern. Urban pattern is optional, since I think the standard Multicam seems to be okay for that too. Personally, I'm really digging Guy Cramer's patterns, especially the woodland and transitional colorways for the area I live in. lol

Leckie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Leckie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 am

Honestly IMHO it's not that much about the pattern and colors as it is about HOW you use it.. When I trained against the Norwegian TMBN we had full khaki uniforms in a completely woodland environment and TMBN had normal Norwegian woodland.. We dominated, but only because of our training and not because we had a better uniform(which we clearly didn't)

If you're moving through the woods, the guy with the fortified position will spot you LONG before you spot him(unless he's and idiot that gives away his position), regardless of what pattern you have on your uniform..

If you have the fortified position it won't matter what pattern you have because, well, you're down in your awesome foxhole!

This is based on experience and not just some pictures of the internet.. Obviously a pink camo jacket is not optimal unless you know the enemy is colorblind, my point is that whatever pattern you use is good enough if you use it right
Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die.
- Tom Clancy

My topics:
Mylar bags FAQ and tips
Winter Survival 101
My BOB

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 am

Achilles21 wrote:I think we should all rock the special operations uniforms. IBA, tac pants, Oakleys, and flip flops.
Back when I was in we rocked a loin cloth and warpaint!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 pm

And beer guts.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Hopefully whatever pattern DoD picks less will cost less than Caleb Crye's Costly and Cunningly Copyrighted Camouflage Colors. Crye Precision is soaking DoD over that contract.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:44 am

crypto wrote:And beer guts.
Calorie storage units. :clap:
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Wed May 01, 2013 1:18 am

crypto wrote:Hopefully whatever pattern DoD picks less will cost less than Caleb Crye's Costly and Cunningly Copyrighted Camouflage Colors. Crye Precision is soaking DoD over that contract.
Mix and match enough pouches and gear and it'll be pixelated from a distance :v:
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Return to “Other Gear”