Misericordia and Lobo

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BlueSilkRibbon
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Walking Dead
Location: Pocono Mountains, North Eastern Pennsylvania (NePa),

Misericordia and Lobo

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 pm

I view the Zompoc in a fairly simple manner. Stay calm, stay quiet and survive. To this end I feel eventually the Zom's are eventually going to be more like flies and need to be dispatched quickly, quietly without passion or prejudice, just like swatting flies. Think "The Walking Dead" on the farm when they casually got out of the truck and dispatched 4 or 5 walkers feasting on a cow. To accomplish this I have my Lobo and now my Misericordia. Misericordia or "mercy" has several meanings but one of the originals was to describe a long thin dagger or spike used to give the the "mercy stroke" to dispatch an adversary or friend for that matter. Both of these items are cheap quiet and lethal but no more complex than a fly-swatter.

My Misericordia is made from a modified pry-bar/alignment bar from Harbor Freight for 3 bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools ... 31383.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The inspiration for such a weapon comes from a brief reference in a piece of zombie fiction called "Area 187 - Almost Hell' by Eric Lowther which is a cracking good read btw.

Misericordia

A field test of the Misericordia can be found here:
http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 5cbbfb.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a field test of my Lobo (Lobotimizer, from "World War Z") can be seen here:
http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 61b01d.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zombie Patrol: It's like neighborhood watch...with Zombies.
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: Misericordia and Lobo

Post by Jeriah » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:23 pm

I fucking love your Lobo CS Spetsnaz Shovel mod. It looks like it would be decently effective as a shovel and totally badass as a weapon. Nice work! Great if you're attacked while gardening, great tool to keep in a vehicle kit, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the misericordia, I dig the concept of having a sharp spike for stabbing through skulls to finish 'em off, but I have some suggested improvements regarding the implementation. You took a tool, made of decent (or at least hard) steel, and ground one end to sort of a point, it looks like, and then added a paracord wrist thong. One thing I've recently learned is that a wrist thong can be more effective on some tools, like riot batons, if it's on the OTHER end, that is, on the blade end of the handle, as opposed to the pommel end. It requires a difference in use, but once done, really locks the tool/weapon into your hand, as opposed to just holding it to your wrist if you drop it. It actually adds strength and support, like the wrist brace on a "wrist rocket" or something. You hook the end of the thong over your thumb, roll your hand so the thong passes across your knuckles, then grasp the handle, trapping the remaining length of thong between your hand and the grip. It sounds weird, but once you try it, you'll love it.

Info here: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... riot.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... j8S4Yf9_-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's great for an ad-hoc weapon, like say you just grab a gutter spike from Home Depot, throw some cord on there, and start busting zombies. But if you're really making a weapon, I would consider some improvements to the two most important parts of a weapon like this: the blade, and the guard. The blade should be fluted, for light weight and rigidity. If it can't be fluted, a triangular section (like the WWI trench spike) may be better than round. But I'd just get a triangular SKS bayonet for a buck or two and add a guard (see below).

For the guard, I'd go with either a D-guard (trench spike again), or a rondel. The rondel is a medieval form that's just a disk with a hole in it for the tang. Basically like a fender washer. In fact...haha...that's what I'd do. Take your blade, SKS bayo or whatever, and weld some threaded rod to the tang. I know, I don't have a welding rig either. But in theory. Stick a big fender washer on there, then whatever you want for a grip, then another fender washer, and then a nut to hold it all together. Use thick rod for a stronger tang than the 1/4" rat tail shit they usually use. The fender washers, like the original rondel, lock your hand in place, making it wicked effective in an "icepick" stabbing grip.

Or buy one (but I know, defeats the fun and purpose.) A true M1917 trench knife (triangular blade, NOT the double-edged M1918) would be great, but originals are expensive and I can't find where to buy the really nice Schnipperfabric reproductions. Windlass Steelcrafts makes a nice brass-handled rondel dagger for about $100 or so.

greenear123
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28DL, Sean of the Dead, Sean the Sheep?

Post by greenear123 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 am

Great stuff BSR, simple, effective and easy to source. I think I have some 1' sections of thread rod, nuts and fender washers in the tool box. Hmmm...

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Jeriah wrote:I fucking love your Lobo CS Spetsnaz Shovel mod. It looks like it would be decently effective as a shovel and totally badass as a weapon. Nice work! Great if you're attacked while gardening, great tool to keep in a vehicle kit, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the misericordia, I dig the concept of having a sharp spike for stabbing through skulls to finish 'em off, but I have some suggested improvements regarding the implementation. You took a tool, made of decent (or at least hard) steel, and ground one end to sort of a point, it looks like, and then added a paracord wrist thong. One thing I've recently learned is that a wrist thong can be more effective on some tools, like riot batons, if it's on the OTHER end, that is, on the blade end of the handle, as opposed to the pommel end. It requires a difference in use, but once done, really locks the tool/weapon into your hand, as opposed to just holding it to your wrist if you drop it. It actually adds strength and support, like the wrist brace on a "wrist rocket" or something. You hook the end of the thong over your thumb, roll your hand so the thong passes across your knuckles, then grasp the handle, trapping the remaining length of thong between your hand and the grip. It sounds weird, but once you try it, you'll love it.

Info here: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... riot.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... j8S4Yf9_-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's great for an ad-hoc weapon, like say you just grab a gutter spike from Home Depot, throw some cord on there, and start busting zombies. But if you're really making a weapon, I would consider some improvements to the two most important parts of a weapon like this: the blade, and the guard. The blade should be fluted, for light weight and rigidity. If it can't be fluted, a triangular section (like the WWI trench spike) may be better than round. But I'd just get a triangular SKS bayonet for a buck or two and add a guard (see below).

For the guard, I'd go with either a D-guard (trench spike again), or a rondel. The rondel is a medieval form that's just a disk with a hole in it for the tang. Basically like a fender washer. In fact...haha...that's what I'd do. Take your blade, SKS bayo or whatever, and weld some threaded rod to the tang. I know, I don't have a welding rig either. But in theory. Stick a big fender washer on there, then whatever you want for a grip, then another fender washer, and then a nut to hold it all together. Use thick rod for a stronger tang than the 1/4" rat tail shit they usually use. The fender washers, like the original rondel, lock your hand in place, making it wicked effective in an "icepick" stabbing grip.

Or buy one (but I know, defeats the fun and purpose.) A true M1917 trench knife (triangular blade, NOT the double-edged M1918) would be great, but originals are expensive and I can't find where to buy the really nice Schnipperfabric reproductions. Windlass Steelcrafts makes a nice brass-handled rondel dagger for about $100 or so.
Excellent notes, thank you. I was really going for the "AREA 187-Almost hell" prybar thing, which I believe I captured and for 3 bucks...ya cant go wrong lol. I actually have a long thin bone handled Misericordia dagger by a knifesmith I know. The SKS bayonet would be ideal and a prefab handle is availbale here: http://brassstacker.com/SKS-Bayonet-Handle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But it lacks the weight for blunt trauma (mine actually weighs 1.2 lbs.)

As for my Lobo, it lives in my BOV and makes for an excellent digging tool, though I cringe when I do so since it will easily shave hair. Anyone with bayonet training would find themselves VERY comfortable using this puppy. No accident I assure you lol.

Your work in the past with Maglites and coconuts was in no small way the inspiration for the weapon and the tests, so thank you.

BSR
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

ericrlowther
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Romero trilogy. Otherwise, all of them.

Post by ericrlowther » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 am

Very nice work. It's a little shorter than I envisioned for the dual purposes of leverage, but a great design. Mind if it I use it in the next book?

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:03 pm

ericrlowther wrote:Very nice work. It's a little shorter than I envisioned for the dual purposes of leverage, but a great design. Mind if it I use it in the next book?

Uhhhh hell yeah! High praise indeed from the master. Please be my guest.

I would have preferred a tad longer but I wanted it no longer than my thigh.

Thank you for your work, I enjoyed your book immensely and recommend it to all my zombiephiles.

The Primanti's reference at the end was classy :)

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

ericrlowther
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Romero trilogy. Otherwise, all of them.

Post by ericrlowther » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks for spreading the word, small press needs all the help it can get. I can also recommend the work of a good friend of mine, Tony Faville, and his novel "Kings of the Dead". If you haven't checked it out yet, I think you'll enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of blunt melee weapons, so let me know if you make another misericordia, there might be a signed hardcopy of "Area 187; Almost Hell" in it for ya in trade :) It would look great on my table at horror conventions and to display with the original painting for the cover, as well as the odd times where it might be needed for more practical purposes...

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:56 am

Nice work on the misericordia, BSR! I also now have another book in the to-read queue!
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 pm

ericrlowther wrote:Thanks for spreading the word, small press needs all the help it can get. I can also recommend the work of a good friend of mine, Tony Faville, and his novel "Kings of the Dead". If you haven't checked it out yet, I think you'll enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of blunt melee weapons, so let me know if you make another misericordia, there might be a signed hardcopy of "Area 187; Almost Hell" in it for ya in trade :) It would look great on my table at horror conventions and to display with the original painting for the cover, as well as the odd times where it might be needed for more practical purposes...

Allready read "Kings of the Dead" another excellent read indeed. I am currently finishing Mark Tufo's excellent "Zombie Fallout" series. Frankly I am soooo very impressed with the skill of the authors plying this genre, you guys rock!

PM me somewhere to send it and the Misericordia is yours without reservation. (Although a signed copy of your book would be an honor)

End Transmission.

BSR

My Lobo:

Return to “Other Weapons”