All Purpose Martial Arts Thread

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

All Purpose Martial Arts Thread

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Purpose: For the discussion of all things martial. Empty hand, knife, stick, and staff.

A tasty treat:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

RatDrall

Re: All Purpose Martial Arts Thread

Post by RatDrall » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:53 am

That video shows an excellent range of Kali empty hand techniques.

I did TKD and Hapkido for years, then took a break, then discovered a Kali instructor a few miles from work. After 6 months of old school Kali I was twice as fast as I ever had been before. I had no idea how effective balance disruptions and good footwork could be, absolutely game changing.

Stick trains knife trains empty hand.

Here's my favorite Kali video, the one I use to show people what it's about, as it was taught to me:

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I've been wanting to get into something like this for a while now. Seems like a better alternative to the globo-gym fitness approach.

Repost of a question I asked in the fitness thread, for those more experienced than I (pretty much anyone), Does one need to be in shape already to get into this kind of stuff? i.e. I've been working out at home for about a month (basic weightlifting and calisthenics), but I'm looking for ways to supplement that. Especially something like this. Can I jump in now, or wait till I'm more fit?
Also, I found this gym not too far from me. Any "expert" opinions on this place?

Carrion Suitcase

Post by Carrion Suitcase » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 pm

kbilly84 wrote:I've been wanting to get into something like this for a while now. Seems like a better alternative to the globo-gym fitness approach.

Repost of a question I asked in the fitness thread, for those more experienced than I (pretty much anyone), Does one need to be in shape already to get into this kind of stuff? i.e. I've been working out at home for about a month (basic weightlifting and calisthenics), but I'm looking for ways to supplement that. Especially something like this. Can I jump in now, or wait till I'm more fit?
No, not really...but if you've already started out on the path being in shape definitely helps, especially if your fitness level is tied into things like attention span and tolerance for new information. At my old karate school there was the full range of young-old, in-shape to out. Depending on what kinda workout programs that might be involved in the place you're checking out though, you might get into a situation like I did and realize how out of shape you just might be compared to what you're doing at home...but it's all a kinda fun part of the process. Plus jumping in now will help you find out where your focused physical strengths and weaknesses lie in regards to the specific martial art.
Silent Kube wrote:Cats can't chicken out when thrown.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Carrion Suitcase wrote:
kbilly84 wrote:I've been wanting to get into something like this for a while now. Seems like a better alternative to the globo-gym fitness approach.

No, not really...but if you've already started out on the path being in shape definitely helps, especially if your fitness level is tied into things like attention span and tolerance for new information. At my old karate school there was the full range of young-old, in-shape to out. Depending on what kinda workout programs that might be involved in the place you're checking out though, you might get into a situation like I did and realize how out of shape you just might be compared to what you're doing at home...but it's all a kinda fun part of the process. Plus jumping in now will help you find out where your focused physical strengths and weaknesses lie in regards to the specific martial art.

I say don't wait. I say go now, be reeaallly sore. You'll be fine. Don't worry about being the new guy breathing really fucking hard when everyone else is quiet and trying to learn the next lesson :lol: . Everyone is the new guy at some point. A journey starts with a single step or some shit, so go jump off and get in. Find a good program with respectable teachers in a style that suits you. Go a lot. Have fun!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

CorpsmanUp

Post by CorpsmanUp » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Loved taking American Kenpo Karate.

Really linear system with a lot of well thought out movements.

The school I went to based in San Diego had a lot of fighters. We loved beating the shit out of each other.

Fr33M@s0n

Post by Fr33M@s0n » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 pm

CorpsmanUp wrote:Loved taking American Kenpo Karate.

Really linear system with a lot of well thought out movements.

The school I went to based in San Diego had a lot of fighters. We loved beating the shit out of each other.

I also took Kenpo Karate, American and Chinese with Tactical Street Fighting from Bill Boyd out of St. Louis Mo. Excellent defensive martial art.

RustyG
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by RustyG » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:33 pm

I like Kali a lot. I have practiced kung fu. And Modern Arnis, currently mixed weapons combatives with the Scientific Fighting Congress. I like the focus on unarmed,stick,knife and gun.
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter S. Thompson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Back in the 90's i was big into martail arts. Took kali-arnis escrima, muay Thai, judo, kendo. i still practice it every now and then. Kinda like riding a bike. Don't really ever forget...

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 am

Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am

@2:42 he makes some profound statements.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Fun thread idea. I'm looking at getting back into martial arts for general fitness. I was going to use the mat room at college, but after one session I got yelled at and told it was for classes only. All the teachers are complaining about low enrollment, and they want to harass the guy who paid cash.
Anyway, since I can't do that, I'm planning on dusting off my bokken and escrima sticks and doing an hour or two of drills a day, plus empty hand. If anyone from STL is interested, I could use a partner.
My background is wrestling in high school, followed by TKD with a smattering of mixed martial arts including Silat, Escrima, Muay Thai, and "shootfighting" (Pre-UFC).
When I joined the Army I found a good Hapkido school, and if I had to say that any one art is what I do, it'd be that.
Once I got out, I took up Aikido for about two years until the school closed. I then got in with a lady who teaches Bagua and Escrima.
I haven't practiced formally in a couple years, but I have been teaching my son the basics, and working out on my own, which has kept me fairly up to speed.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:53 am

Interesting use of the Fence. Also of interest is the point at which this turns from self defense to battery. By moving forward after his opponent has been knocked down, and especially by kicking him, our hero becomes the attacker and loses his court case.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

JasonNorin

Post by JasonNorin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:28 am

Thanks for sharing this video. In a post-apocalyptic world, we really cannot rely on any weapons that require manufacturers to function such as guns, grenades or even non-lethal weapons like pepper sprays. That's because manufacturers will no longer be around during those times. With this, it is important for us to learn how to fight barehanded or with the aide of knives, sticks, or anything that we can use for striking. I used to train for Arnis (a Filipino stick based martial art) and I also find it quite useful in case of an apocalypse. The weapons used will never run out of bullets and can come very handy anytime..
Part time football odds setter, Combat Sports fan, somehow a doomsday prepper and a freelance writer.

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Now we're in my wheelhouse :clap:

I don't really have any experience with kali, except a 1.5 hour seminar on some basics, but I will say that there are a lot of things I've seen done in kali that are very similar to some old-school karate methods. I've been training in karate since 2006, and since then I also did about 4 years of judo, and dabbled in Okinawan weapons and Japanese swordsmanship. My focus, these days, is analyzing karate kata and figuring out how to apply the movements in self defense. Some of it takes a lot of supplementary training to use, though, and is not really "self defense seminar" material that you can learn in an afternoon and be proficient with.

JasonNorin

Post by JasonNorin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Now that's mixed martial arts, buddy, lol

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 pm

JasonNorin wrote:Now that's mixed martial arts, buddy, lol
I did try an MMA fight, once, actually. The tunnel vision hit me hard and I got taken down and punched a lot in the first round. He was crazy strong, and slammed his way out of a couple armbar attempts, but had no idea how to actually position himself to submit me, or how to throw proper punches (he was a wrestler). I actually rolled with the punches, slipping them off my forehead, but it made it look like he was smacking my head all over the place :P. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, and in the video I can see all kinds of things I should have done, but I was sort of on auto-pilot in Round 1. Thankfully, that wore off in time for Round 2, and I exploited an opening I knew he had and knocked him out 11 seconds in. All his friends told him it was a lucky kick, so he still hasn't fixed that opening. He got knocked out, again, recently, and I haven't seen the video but I kind of suspect it was because of that same opening. You could drive a truck through it.

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:45 am

Leif3141
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like fast zombies! I like the infected!

Post by Leif3141 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:53 pm

To experienced martial artists I have a question...what is the ratio, when discussing being successful in practical fighting, of natural skillset like speed/strength/eye coordination/etc vs technique of the art itself? Like for instance...when practiced martial artists fight each other, if you'd say success is a result of %50 skill for %50 technique, or whatever you want to call it? I mean in most sports where fighting takes place they separate it based off weight divisions (such as wrestling and boxing) because it is assumed a heavier person has more muscle and can generate a lot more power, but you'll hear martial artists mention it doesn't matter how old/experienced/strong you are come join our place. To me if fighting a non-martial artist in post-apocalyptica, the natural skillset would go a lot further with maybe learning a few easy technique moves on your own, if you didn't want to invest a few days a week into a martial art. Just curious of your opinions.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:05 pm

What I found, competing in Olympic-style TKD sparring on track for state and national competition, was that it was so limited in terms of enagement that you had to practice specifically for the event. You hear the same complaints about various firearms competitions, too.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 pm

In college, I dabbled in Shotokan and with Judo. It was a great workout, and a lot of fun; quite possibly the best way for me to break up a day's load of classes (like recess for elementary school kids.) I'm currently training for next year's Guns 'N Hoses boxing event; hopefully I'll get a fight.

I'd love to get back into formal martial arts but a lot of the traditional stuff is more -Do than I'm interested in doing.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:32 am

Leif3141 wrote:To experienced martial artists I have a question...what is the ratio, when discussing being successful in practical fighting, of natural skillset like speed/strength/eye coordination/etc vs technique of the art itself?
I would say it is like a lot of other physical activities.
A good athelete is a good athelete. But good training can make them far better. Bad training can actually make them worse.
And being good doesn't mean you will win every time.

But regardless who you are, good training can take what ability you have and improve that.
So do some research to find good schools around you that match what you are hoping to learn/accomplish if this is something that interests you.
One of my first instructors told me that there is always something to learn from every style. Even if it was only 'there was nothing to learn'.
And good luck.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:48 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:What I found, competing in Olympic-style TKD sparring on track for state and national competition, was that it was so limited in terms of enagement that you had to practice specifically for the event. You hear the same complaints about various firearms competitions, too.
That's why I get my training done on the streets. I was actually a pretty well known street fighter and underground boxer. Recently, I recieved a call from the heavyweight boxing champ of the world. I thought it was for sparring, but it turns out I'm getting a shot at the title. Luckily, my brother-in-law is letting me train at his palce... a meat packing plant where I punch steaks. Hopefully I can beat this Apollo Creed fellow.

Seriously though, that's why there will always be the battle of styles. Karate people always train for karate, wrestling for wrestling, MMA for MMA, Krav for Krav, etc etc etc. However, I am glad that MMA is around becuase it has busted a few myths about what styles don't work like advertised... am I right, Royce Gracie??
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Leif3141 wrote:To experienced martial artists I have a question...what is the ratio, when discussing being successful in practical fighting, of natural skillset like speed/strength/eye coordination/etc vs technique of the art itself? Like for instance...when practiced martial artists fight each other, if you'd say success is a result of %50 skill for %50 technique, or whatever you want to call it? I mean in most sports where fighting takes place they separate it based off weight divisions (such as wrestling and boxing) because it is assumed a heavier person has more muscle and can generate a lot more power, but you'll hear martial artists mention it doesn't matter how old/experienced/strong you are come join our place. To me if fighting a non-martial artist in post-apocalyptica, the natural skillset would go a lot further with maybe learning a few easy technique moves on your own, if you didn't want to invest a few days a week into a martial art. Just curious of your opinions.

Clearly natural strength and speed are an advantage. The key to regularly practicing martial arts is developing muscle memory so your motions are much more fluid, whatever your speed.
Second, the biggest disadvantage in a fight is that most victims hesitate while the attacker (particularly an experienced predator) usually takes advantage of the fact his victim will hesitate.
Weekly practice in martial arts- including some form of sparring- will help reduce this delay in reaction. Indeed, you will probably successfully block a first strike almost without thinking.
I do kenpo which has a strong street fight/combat focus, but really any style that provides basic technique and develops the muscle memory is going to help.
Many of the strikes you learn- such as eye poke, throat jab, kick to knee, etc. take very little strength to employ. And I don't care how tough the opponent, the strike is going to do serious damage.

To be specifically answer your question, my son who is 19 and practices kenpo with me is far faster than I am and we really can't spar together anymore, even though I'm still stronger and significantly bigger. But I'm not practicing to confront a trained martial artist, I'm practicing to confront a thug. And in those situations (I've had several) my practice has overcome other limitations.

P.S.- there is another long thread in a simiar vain that died out a couple years ago:

Reflections on Self Defense and Martial Arts classes
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

Return to “Other Weapons”