Your main folder/EDC?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mk_ultra

Re: Your main folder/EDC?

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Been carrying a chinese clone of a Hinderer xm-18 for a while and am quite pleased with it .

I lucked into an Emerson bullnose Kerambit the other day for $20 , so that has been getting pocket time , but I am gonna sell or trade it soon .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

bumblingbear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by bumblingbear » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:02 pm

It may be another year until I get my Carrillo custom, so I just bought an Extrema Ratio MF2.

I will probably start a new thread about it since I hadn't even heard of this brand until I saw an ER knife on truthaboutknives.com.
Last edited by bumblingbear on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I lust after bullpups. All bullpups.

HGButtentee
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HGButtentee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 am

Beloved Benchmade Griptilian Tanto...

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:00 pm

bumblingbear > I had one of those in the Desert Warfare version, that is tan. I also have a BF2 and a fixed that I cant remember the name of. The MF2 wasn't my favorite blade but its nice and has a brutal look, and it's huge. I also had a Khurki from ER once, and I really like the brand. They used to visit SHOT but stopped as far as I know.

Here are a few of my EDCs, ain't carrying the SOCP dagger though...

bumblingbear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by bumblingbear » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Skoll wrote:bumblingbear > I had one of those in the Desert Warfare version, that is tan. I also have a BF2 and a fixed that I cant remember the name of. The MF2 wasn't my favorite blade but its nice and has a brutal look, and it's huge. I also had a Khurki from ER once, and I really like the brand. They used to visit SHOT but stopped as far as I know.

Here are a few of my EDCs, ain't carrying the SOCP dagger though...
Nice!

I just got a Masters of Defense Hornet too.

An MOD CQD was the first nice knife I had when I was Airborne.
I lust after bullpups. All bullpups.

OilMan
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Weeks Later

Post by OilMan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:36 am

GOODdaysir wrote:so ZS, what is your main folding knife, and what do you use it for? Im trying to get an Idea of what to buy for a good Self defense/ Camp / EDC folder, My only criteria is Under $100, preferably under $30
My main EDC is usually pulled from the pile of my favorites as I'm walking out the door depending on what I'm doing that day. If I need to really rely on a blade that day I take a fixed blade which lately has been a RAT3 which is the handiest/least offensive to people or a SwampRat/Busse if I need something a little bigger/thicker.. The knife I ALWAYS have with me is a SAK SuperTinkerer and the blade in my Ti Leatherman. And the Griptillian in my laptop bag. Or the Scrapyard 7" fixed blade in the truck..

Here's my main pull pile for folders. :-)

Doh, sorry, was just coming to get the sheep comment out. :-)

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:43 am

I'd like to see a pic of OilMans scrapyard blade. SOunds a lot like the home made ones I tinker around at making.
Don't worry I've been offended by professionals!

OilMan

Post by OilMan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 am

Scrapyard is the brand name: http://www.scrapyardknives.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Part of the Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard family.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:57 am

I mostly use a Leatherman Freestyle.

I have 2 Utilikeys as backup. 1 with my car keys and another with my house keys.

I'm getting a SOG Trident Tanto soon.
http://www.sogknives.com/trident-tanto.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I carry 3 at least at all times. A standard lockblade (liner lock) in each front pocket and a folding karambit in my left back pocket. If you haven't ever worked with an in curved blade like a karambit or hawkbill then you don't know the utility of such blades. They are incredibly handy in a variety of situations and are a fantastic off hand weapon (held in a reverse grip blade edge forward).
Don't worry I've been offended by professionals!

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:03 pm

The same Strider SnG for about 10 yrs now .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

PaulM
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead ^_^

Post by PaulM » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 am

A multitool is a constant, and it is usually the TTI charge although I do have a separate rotation of MT's, plus I carry one of the blades. I have other blades but these are the ones I found myself using most so I keep them out in my edc cabinet rotation. 3.75-4.00" blades is just about right for my usage I've found with the pink mini grip being a great low profile blade. The only one that is not currently getting used in that pic is the DLC manix XL, which sadly needs to go back to spyderco for warranty work. The silver Manix XL is one of my all time favorite EDC blades.

OilMan

Post by OilMan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:40 am

PaulM wrote:Image

A multitool is a constant, and it is usually the TTI charge although I do have a separate rotation of MT's, plus I carry one of the blades. I have other blades but these are the ones I found myself using most so I keep them out in my edc cabinet rotation. 3.75-4.00" blades is just about right for my usage I've found with the pink mini grip being a great low profile blade. The only one that is not currently getting used in that pic is the DLC manix XL, which sadly needs to go back to spyderco for warranty work. The silver Manix XL is one of my all time favorite EDC blades.
I've got one of the original lockback Manixs and some of the newer models too, love the full height flat grind on the big ones but came to like the sabre grind on the Manix 2's too.

I'm carrying a Kershaw Ti Bump and my SAK SuperTinkerer today but I've been carrying a Swamp Rat Rodent 4 lately on construction days and will carry a Busse AD as soon as I get a decent sheath that I can crossdraw from.

PaulM
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead ^_^

Post by PaulM » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

I've got one of the original lockback Manixs and some of the newer models too, love the full height flat grind on the big ones but came to like the sabre grind on the Manix 2's too.

I'm carrying a Kershaw Ti Bump and my SAK SuperTinkerer today but I've been carrying a Swamp Rat Rodent 4 lately on construction days and will carry a Busse AD as soon as I get a decent sheath that I can crossdraw from.

I love the look of the Manix lockbacks. I really wanted and searched for one before the XL came out. That is one sweet blade. I was looking over your rotation, you have some extremely nice blades there :mrgreen:

royalflush

Post by royalflush » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:19 pm

benchmade griptillian (wish I would have went w/ the tanto blade)
and
CRKT m16

never really considered either a defensive carry item, but they are both good utility knives. I've used the crkt longer bc I've had it for years. never sharpened it- it's not razor sharp but still does what I need.

will benchmade replace my griptillian if i dropped and broke the tip on it?

OilMan

Post by OilMan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Weekend Carry

Leatherman Ti Charge
Swamp Rat Rodent 4
Busse Anaversary Mean Street
CRK Website Sebenza w/Damascus AND S30v blades
SAK Super Tinkerer

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:23 pm

I rotate through most of these with the zero tolerance knives getting more pocket time.

ZS#4545

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Got this Gerber paraframe Tanto from Academy a few months back

turned out to be a piece of shit that dulled easily and had a tip that lost its point even easier :vmad:

I'm looking for something better now

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Two of my most recent acquisitions.

Ontario RAT 1 - Awesome, cheap folder!!!

Another CRKT Big Dog - M16-14DSFG w/ my M16-04Z - Love the 14DSFG so far. Not a fan of the extra flipper so much, but it serves as a pseudo-wave for tip-up pocket carry. I picked it up as a stop-gap for my lost Griptilian. :(

I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

tohubohu

Post by tohubohu » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 am

I generallly avoid folders... but a spyderco would be my first choice

OilMan

Post by OilMan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Boondock wrote:
GOODdaysir wrote:
Boondock wrote:Also, you still live in Illinois, correct? Carrying a knife for self-defense is taboo.
Yessir, Still in IL. How is it taboo?
Illinois knife laws are vague. You can carry a blade 2-3" depending on where you live, and longer knives--if you can demonstrate they are being used for camping, hunting, fishing, etc.

But you cannot carry a weapon, of any kind, open or concealed, for self-defense. Unless you're a copper.

Yup. There are loopholes and differing opinions. I don't recommend trying to explain any of them to a police officer if stopped and asked, "What's that for, bub?" If your answer is, "To protect myself," have a lawyer on speed dial.

That's my understanding of the law and if I'm mistaken, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Yep, that's how I always interpreted it too. I'm an IT Dept Manager and I carry a FB on my belt right next to my flashlight and my Leatherman Ti Charge, if I was ever asked about it by law enforcement I'd tell the truth, I'm half construction guy/half computer geek and it's just one more tool I carry to do my job. Never had a problem. When I used to just carry big folders I would always play show and tell with LEOs who happened to be at a location I was working at the time and never had an issue. Never understood how a LEO will spend $600+ on a sidearm that they will use maybe once in their lifetime but $6 on a folder that they use every day. As far as not getting hassled about them by a LEO I always figured don't put yourself in a position that they would be dealing with you in the first place and then it doesn't matter what you carry.. YMMV

Here's my typical loadout although I had an extra FB with me that day because the little Busse was new.. :-)

ps.The folder is a CRK Sebenza that I have a S30V blade and a Damascus blade for.
pss. LOL, didn't notice I already posted that pic.. still carrying it though.. :-)
psss. Actually I lied, I finally got that sheath I was talking about above for my Busse AD so that's the FB I have today.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:59 pm

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 am

My Dad gave me a Buck 110 in 1965- I have had no need or desire to replace it.

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 am

gundogs wrote:My Dad gave me a Buck 110 in 1965- I have had no need or desire to replace it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

Return to “Other Weapons”