ZS Hot or Not: Knives Edition

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: ZS Hot or Not: Knives Edition

Post by squinty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 am

I found a knife. Can anyone tell me about this knife, or offer opinions wrt it's quality or lack thereof? The blade has "RG-31 SURGICAL STEEL JAPAN" inscribed on one side, the word "RIGID" and a cheesy picture of a bear on the other.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww23 ... 055739.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww23 ... 055834.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by squinty on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 am

I believe that’s the swamp rat waki. It is out of production, so you’d have to find one on ebay, bladeforms, etc. I think they’re still making the Rucki, a shorter version: http://www.ratknives.com/product.htmlI have no idea of the legalities of importing to England.[/quote]

You star. Thank you. the import laws are complex here. However, This is within the bounds of the law. Why? well simply because it doesn't have a curve on the blade like a traditional katana. UK laws seem to be written by people with no idea about what they are talking. grrr. Again though,,,, thank you.
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Squinty its made by United Cutletry this site says. http://www.knivesplus.com/rigid-knives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here it is forsale but i dont understand the site. http://www.grove-eshop.com/product/966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here it says how United Cutletry is upgranding the name. http://www.agrussell.com/knives-by-maker-rigid/c/13308/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My self i wouldn't put to much faith in it.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Black Optimus

Post by Black Optimus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 am

Picked this up on Amazon...it's a solid little folder. 3 inch blade.

CRKT Drifter

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 am

Rednex wrote:Squinty its made by United Cutletry this site says. http://www.knivesplus.com/rigid-knives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here it is forsale but i dont understand the site. http://www.grove-eshop.com/product/966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here it says how United Cutletry is upgranding the name. http://www.agrussell.com/knives-by-maker-rigid/c/13308/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My self i wouldn't put to much faith in it.
Hunh. That's my knife alright. Like new in box rg-31s (less neglected than mine) sometimes go for 80 or 90 bucks on eBay, but that seems to be based on collector or nostalgia value instead of performance. IDK. I hate the drawing on the blade, and the steel is little different from 440A iirc, but I like the brass bolsters and love the blade and handle shape. Fairly sharp, rust specks cleaned up ok.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 am

Dug out my SAK, a german made little knife. Have it for 20 years at least, been my all day everyday tool until being replaced in 2001 with my first Leatherman PST.

And yes, that includes school.

I took a knife to school.

And no one cared.

Logo inlet made of actual brass. It fell out and has been superglued in place, so I know it's as thick as a coin.

Aside from the usual, this knife has a set of scissors and a set of pliers, something I hadn't seen until then.

"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 am

did someone say kitchen knives?
my budget work horses:
Vintage knife steel
Chicago Cutlery knife, left behind by a room mate, I sharpened it and cleaned it up and it's a great little knife
Thrift store Sabatiers, had been abused, but are now lovingly honed and cared for
$8 restaurant supply butcher knife, holds an edge and handles great
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Here's most of my good ones.

3 Ka-bars, 4 Gerbers, S&W knife, Ontario machete, SOG tomahawk, and a busted ass leatherman.

squinty

Post by squinty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Cheap knives.

A Mora something or other craft knife - cheapest one on amazon - with carbon steel blade, light as a feather and sharp as heck, easily replaceable, prominent finger guard.
And a Gerber Artifact - knockoff of an Atwood design probably. Replaced my Widgy, and seems to be a bit more rigid than the widgy was - I bent the little titanium widgy, don't think this powder coated stainless will bend but it might break. A better bottle opener than my Leatherman, and it can live next to my keys on my front left belt loop. Little x-acto style knife blade has a liner type lock, fairly secure, and works for package opening and such.

Less than twenty bucks together.

Panther220410
Favorite Zombie Movies: The one where zombies DIE!!! ... and Zombieland...

Post by Panther220410 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:42 am

Doesn't matter what kind but you should ALWAYS carry a blade of some kind. What ever condition will work. Sharp blades allow for swift, clean cuts with little resistance while a dull blade will provide you with deep penetration and a lot more bodily damage as it enters and exits. Its always a good idea to keep up maintainance though.

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 am

Panther220410 wrote:[...] while a dull blade will provide you with deep penetration and a lot more bodily damage as it enters and exits. [...]
A dull knife is nothing more than a dysfunctional tool. Dysfunctional tools need to be refunctionalised. There is no need to carry a tool that doesn't do its intended job.

Pics:

This little bugger arrived lately:

Beefed up the handle a bit with paracord:

Like I did with the other wee blade:

I like the handle dimension on the Buck a lot more than on the BK11, but either will do fine. The Buck now needs a Kydex sheath.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

zombievt

Post by zombievt » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Not a knife but....

One I finished up a couple of weeks ago. Cold Steel trailhawk. Stipped the paint off the head and lightly sanded (wanted to leave some of the forge marks), forced the patina by boiling in vinegar, sanded and stained the haft and wrapped with superglue soaked jute twine. Sewed up the leather mask this afternoon.

ModernCombat!!

Post by ModernCombat!! » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 am

M48 Kommando Survival Knife
I couldn't upload the real pictures because the internet is being an ass

Eversor

Post by Eversor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:43 pm

My 3 favourites:

2X Extrema Ratio Golem II Testudo Black
1X Extrema RAtio Golem F Testudo Black

I sharpened the back of one of the Goelm II.

Here with a Training knife.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Just picked up a Schrade SCHF9 off Amazon. Not too bad of a knife for $33 shipped!

georgehumphreys
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (maybe not zombies but close enough!)

Post by georgehumphreys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 am

A couple of blades I made, one is a practical tanto, I made for my wife for C&C, the other is a 'bling blade' complete with rattlesnake skin handle.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-p ... 4264_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-p ... 4080_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sometimes when you cry, no one see's your tears
Sometimes when when you are worried, no one see's your pain
Sometimes when you are happy, no one see's you smile
But, fart just one time.......

Tolerance and diversity, make me want to vomit!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Black Optimus

Post by Black Optimus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 am

Decided to buckle and get a Spiderco. Went for the Tenacious due to it's popularity.
Not bad for $34

NO-ONE

Post by NO-ONE » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Here is mine check the vid as well
http://www.coldsteel.com/two-handed-katana-machete.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 pm

The newest member of the family.

I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:01 pm

i got that machete for 10$,

it is written : sime ,TAINO, Cuba on the handle and i'm sure the sheath is not the original one.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

marbhán marfóir
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead, 28 days later, resident evil series.

Post by marbhán marfóir » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:54 pm

not sure why I never posted when I got the thing but this was made for my by Maldon007 on the forum, photo credit also goes to him

Image[/quote]

and the super custom "We don't need no stinking Kydex, we got some spare vinyl siding" sheath made by Maldon007 as well

It is made to be a neck knife, or belt mount, also has holes that you could put string through to tie to a pack/vest/whatever.

"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
- Thomas Paine, from his essay “The Crisis”
I live in MN now, we dont have a chapter yet. so no more cool AZ ZS 18 banner. I can still take the heat though :-)

Ziolo

Post by Ziolo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 am

Thunderbolt

Post by Thunderbolt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Just finished building this one today:

Thunderbolt

Gr3g

Post by Gr3g » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Martin Swinkels strikes again :clap:

Here is my new SwampRat Howling Rat Little Mishcheif, sent from USA via Holland to Martin Swinkels for an amazing sheath. Eagerly awaiting it's arrival :awesome:

Now I'm eagerly waiting the completion of a custom leatherman wave survival system, it's going to be great.

Return to “Other Weapons”