Captive bolt pistol, under-barrel, spear, what can we do ?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Captive bolt pistol, under-barrel, spear, what can we do ?

Post by azrael99 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:20 pm

i was thinking.

how a Captive bolt pistol, or another weapon made in the same style would work as a static , or mobile weapons ? i was talking about the pistol but that would not be a good idea (the idea of be at 2 feet of a zombie is not a good idea in my mind. but to convert the idea into a spear or something that would give us ranges. with a bottle of compress air or gas to make it work. air pump is away a solution to refiled bottles.
something like that
Image but with a longer barrel
i was also thinking about a under-barrel variant looking like a grenade launcher or a masterkey, with a compact portable gas bottle.
something like that but with a longer barrel to give us range.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
but with a captive bolt rifle instead of the less-lethal gun.

*edit*
when i was talking about a static weapon, i was thinking about : zombie stopped by a fence or something like that, they can't move toward you and you just need to kill them like a fish in a barrel. with the captive bolt spear (for extra safety and range), so size weigh and mobility is not a problem
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Grey Mann

Re: Captive bolt pistol, under-barrel, spear, what can we do

Post by Grey Mann » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm just not sure of the effectiveness of this. You'll still need a way to contain pressurized gas, and any tank that would contain enough gas to drive the bolt in a lethal fashion would be rather large to carry around on your back or on a rifle, regardless of your means of pressurizing the gas.
Last edited by Grey Mann on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:33 pm

i would lie if i would say i didn't think of him :wink: :mrgreen:
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Fish in a barrel? Spear, large stick, broken neck, decapitation and a good stomping...the only reason a captive bolt pistol is viable now is the massive numbers of dead cattle that must be produced, and the availability of gas. Without those two things, they might move to a spring loaded device, or go back to slitting throats/lopping heads.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:14 pm

using a spring loaded device sound like a good idea but i'm afraid that it would need a strong spring to give enough ballistic energy to pass through the human skull. it would need a strong muscular effort to reload it. as for the spike it would use, well i think that would not be a real problem, a pipe cut diagonal, or a steel stick shaped like a spear or a pen.

and as for gas availability, well air pump can be powered with many way, electricity, hydro energy, wind energy, human or animal strength. even as slow and hard to design at first pneumatic tools could be one of the only powered source tools available. we could also include hydraulic tools too.

air can be contained to be used later, fairly easier than electricity. for as long as the bottles of compress air are hermetic and sealed. making the air pump working demand energy but it can pay-off when we need energy later.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:53 pm

google "bang stick"

no need for air, its slow to reload though

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 pm

well it would consume your ammo reserve.

the advantage of air is.........well you ARE surrender by air.so you ain't gonna consume air a lot.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:12 pm

azrael99 wrote:well it would consume your ammo reserve.

the advantage of air is.........well you ARE surrender by air.so you ain't gonna consume air a lot.
but you are consuming another resource in order to pressurize a cylinder

I wonder what the ratio would be for shots from a gas cylinder versus 22LR ammo?
I'm pretty sure the 22LR would win

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Punch/push dagger, also called a gimlet. In, twist, out brain stem destroyed. Legality may vary by AO.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

foxx

Post by foxx » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Zombies behind a fence, I'd rather have a spear. No need to refill air or ammo, just stab stab stab...

I'd rather carry a master key, if I was adding to an AR, with a spear as it's own weapon. I'm all for saving ammo.

If you did go with a static spear, I would want it to retract itself automaticlly, to allow for rapid "semi-auto" firing.

Duke Raze
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. I like the first two remakes of the series.

Post by Duke Raze » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Some of the captive bolts run on .22 blanks like you can buy at lowes....last I saw they cost more than .22lr :?

I have thought about this as well. A three foot metal pipe, there would need to be rubber buffers on the end so it would not beat it self to death, like a cross bow. So it would look like a pipe with a silencer, the probe should be an inch or so long no bigger than a screw driver and use a bicycle brake like trigger. Hold Trigger down, pull back spring Using a bolt that would have to ride in a channel on the pipe, let the trigger reset to hold it in place. Repeat. I think it could be done with springs. However it would ended up being a big task for something with a narrow application. Like a previous person said. Only through a fence or and extended model from a roof. I think a pike/spear for silent removal would be the best option listed. Mainly because of the strength of the springs that would need to be used.

Return to “Other Weapons”