Knives for females

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MichaelM

Re: Knives for females

Post by MichaelM » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:04 pm

My old EDC knife (before I got a RAT 1) was a Kershaw Zing.

It's got a 3 inch blade with a hollow grind and a spear point, made from Sandvik 14C28N steel. It comes with either a black or bright orange handle. The clip can be moved right handed blade down, or ambidextrous blade up carry. It's a liner lock variety.

It isn't assisted opening, but it does have one of those little flippers. With practice and a tiny wrist flick the thing pops open like a switch blade. When open, the flipper acts as a small guard between your hand and the blade.

When it was clipped to my pocket, I found that the knife sat very flat against my body. It's got a slim handle that easily disappears under a fold of fabric, but without making it difficult to find and pull quickly.

Most of what I used it for was basic cutting tasks around home and work. The thing takes an edge like a razor and keeps it through a lot of use. I cut a lot of boxes to pieces with the thing. I did some food prep with it as well. It's small enough that if you open it slowly, people don't freak that you've pulled a knife, but the definitely notice when you flick it open quickly.

I highly recommend this knife. And it's a Kershaw, so you know it's good.

Art
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Art » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 pm

I got my gf this:

She calls it her "Butterfly" knife, I tried correcting her to no avail, and she loves the color. She likes the size and the cutout for easy opening. I know it's a ripoff from Spyderco but I don't hold it against Benchmade for going with something simple that works. The axis lock is perfect in that the lockup is tight. All in all she likes it and when she left it at my place would not stop hounding me to get it back to her. I almost kept it and would have bought another one for her since I really like the 154cm hollow grind but I've got enough knives as it is.
Endure to the End

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:31 pm

I know this isn't particularly helpful in choosing a folder for your wife, I just wanted to applaud y'all for taking a step toward her defense. It does make a difference.

I got my girlfriend a Cold Steel Delta Dart, but she wanted something more girly. She wanted a knife with a pink handle. She is an interesting mix of practical and frilly. She's fine with self-defense items, but they need to be "cute". Fortunately, she finds things like subcompact pistols and shotguns with pink camo stocks to be "cute".

So, I found a pink wood named "pink ivory" (from Africa), and made her this:

I also got her some pink pepper spray.

So, one night as she is walking through the parking garage after a night class, there's some creepy guy hanging around. She reaches into her bag, pulls out the knife in its sheath, and sticks it in her back pocket in a non-chalant manner. The guy beats tracks out of there.

The point being, while a knife may not be the ideal self-defense weapon, it dang sure gives you options. And I really like options when it comes to things of this nature. :mrgreen:

Good luck with y'all finding the appropriate knife.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Equuleus

Knives for females

Post by Equuleus » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Art wrote:I got my gf this:

She calls it her "Butterfly" knife, I tried correcting her to no avail, and she loves the color. She likes the size and the cutout for easy opening. I know it's a ripoff from Spyderco but I don't hold it against Benchmade for going with something simple that works. The axis lock is perfect in that the lockup is tight. All in all she likes it and when she left it at my place would not stop hounding me to get it back to her. I almost kept it and would have bought another one for her since I really like the 154cm hollow grind but I've got enough knives as it is.
Do you have a model number for this knife?

ETA: It looks like a Mini-Griptilian (555) but they don't have the blue color listed on their site. I'm not a big fan of the sheepsfoot blade (it doesn't seem like it would work very well for stabbing, correct me if I'm wrong) but I do see that they have the 566 in a modified spear-point.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:38 pm

The CRKT Drifter is a good knife, but unassisted:

http://bladereviews.com/1467/crkt-drifter-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CRKT Ichi is super small, right at 2", and is assisted:

http://www.google.com/search?q=CRKT+Ich ... 90&bih=601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have both of these knives and like them a lot.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

BladeReviews

Post by BladeReviews » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey, if I might offer some assistance I highly recommend the Spyderco Dragonfly. I am testing one of these out now and it's a knife I do not want to give up.

Very small and impossibly light weight but it allows for a full 4 finger grip - even with larger hands. The choil is excellent for control and safety and the knife is fully ambidextrous. Perfect for opening packages and EDC type stuff.

This is a little knife that I would love to give to every member of my family.

BlakeS

Post by BlakeS » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 pm

This is what my wife carries mostly for utility use. Its a 2.41 in. OTF microtech , Bought this for my dad 3 Christmas's ago cause he liked mine and the company sent me the small version (2.41) instead of the regular sized one , and I ended up giving it to my wife and she loved it .

By blakesan1 at 2011-09-12

Mampfies

Post by Mampfies » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:07 pm

by-the-throat wrote:
Mampfies wrote:Unless your wife belongs to a much tougher sewing circle than I do, we're not likely talking about her surviving a knife fight.
The first rule of sewing circle is you do not talk about sewing circle.
The second rule of sewing circle is you do not talk about sewing circle
**Blush**......How about, "Never bring a quilting needle to a knitting fight...."?

Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 am

I've had noticeable problems with a lot of popular knives mentioned in this thread (as I proofread this post I added others not mentioned :D)-
Leek- Super thin tip, almost unusable for me; so far off center the tip is bent, also pretty heavy.
Delica- WANTED to like it, but it has an unsat lock (up and down) and for me (almost 7 feet tall) it's not the most ergo knife.
Drifter- I have the stainless one. Good up and down lock, some side to side play, HEAVY, and I'm not a recurve guy. That's what's kept me from the smaller Kershaws.
Kershaw Chill- Sweet blade shape, pretty good lockup, not impressed with the strength of the handle.
Mini KaBar Dozier- Too much up and down play, weaker handle.
Benchmade Mini Griptilian- The Lewis/McChord PX had some SWEET prices on them but they were all combo blades. :lol:
CRKT M16s- Thin liner lock (I don't mind the AutoLawks), some blade play, impossible to put back together. I do like the shape and feel of them and might try another.

Something I like in the 2" range is the Kershaw OD-2. A very little bit of blade play (but it does have a pretty thick liner lock for the size) but it's barely noticeable during use. Not assisted but that flipper kicks it right out. It's more of a utility blade than a defense thing but the original post did say 2" knives. I think mine was 16 bucks. My Byrd Robin 2 is OK but still has a bit more play than I would like.
I've mostly gone to SAKs, some fixed blades, and a few carefully selected folders. The OD-2 is one of those though the SAKs are more useful.

FWIW, the tightest folder I own is my Kershaw Scamp. It's a bit smooth feeling overall but that thing is a LOCK up and down with only the slightest, slightest bit of side to side play.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:05 am

This is not the thread I thought it would be.

I purchased a Spyderco Delica. She loves it. A co-worker borrowed it and tried to keep it. She got pissed, he gave it back.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Return to “Other Weapons”