Knives for females

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Equuleus

Knives for females

Post by Equuleus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a knife for my wife. I'm slowly working her to the point that she might get a CWP in the next year or so but we are not to that point yet. She did mention the other day that she wanted a knife like what I have, which is a Benchmade Barrage.

Figuring she just wanted something that was sharp that she could use to open boxes and other random stuff, I put a real nice edge on a little Buck knife I've had for about 15-20 years and handed it to her. She then stated that she wanted something for self defense and the little one inch blade wasn't going to do her any good and how what she supposed to get the damn thing open in a hurry when she had to dig her nail into that little slot on the back of the blade.

She likes my EDC but the size is a little big for her. Also, it's molded a little thick so that you can get a better grip and I was looking for something that would lay a little flatter if she has it clipped to a pants pocket, otherwise I would get her a mini-barrage. I don't want anything overtly tactical but also not pink or any other feminine color as she tends to be more conservative in that respect (she just shakes her head when a woman pulls out a pink gun on the range).

I was looking for something with a spring assist like my Barrage and found the Kershaw Ken Onion line but the dummy knives at the store seem like they take a week to open and don't have that full force thump/thwack that the Barrage does. This may be because they are dummy knives that have been handled over and over but I don't know.

I guess I'm looking for a recommendation on a good ~2 inch blade, assisted opening knife that isn't too hard to put a good edge on.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: Knives for females

Post by TDW586 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:45 pm

I like the Kershaw Leek/Scallion series, they seem to fit your criteria. Make sure your wife is the one to pick it out, though, it's her knife after all.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:55 pm

I support a Leek's quality and design, love the things. I don't like any assisted opener for SD, but if she wants it she wants it. I buy a lot of girls CLB Subcom variants, the Hawkbill style for defense and the standard models for girls who used them a lot. Blades are small, but they meld with your hand and have amazing ergonomics. Take it from me, I have abnormally small hands, probably the same size or smaller than the average female. If I can get that much out of a knife, any female with similar hands can. Not assisted, not as sexy as a Leek, but that's my soapbox rant. I admire the Leek as a piece of art and engineering, can't argue with any recommendations for it.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:59 pm

The aforementioned Leek/Scallions would be fine. Spyderco makes good stuff, medium-sized, in pink if she's that kinda gal. The CRKT M16-10 series is also a good size for smaller hands.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

JägerZ

Post by JägerZ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Take her a sporting goods or gun store that has a good selection of knives and let het pick out what she feels most comfortable with. Help her by pointing out various features and pro/cons but otherwise let her pick her own. Same thing applies to firearms.

You wouldn't want someone else picking out your defesive weapon for you, would you?
"Running isn't a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails!" - E. Bassett
"My mommy always said there were no monsters, no real ones, but there are."

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Equuleus wrote:She then stated that she wanted something for self defense and the little one inch blade wasn't going to do her any good and how what she supposed to get the damn thing open in a hurry when she had to dig her nail into that little slot on the back of the blade.
Um, if she's looking for something for self defense, I think she should probably steer away from knives all together. Maybe some pepper spray?
I say this only because I think a knife is a terrible defensive weapon for anyone really, but especially for someone who knows so little about knives that they need someone else's help picking one out.

Trained professionals have a poor chance of surviving a fight where a knife is involved without getting cut pretty bad, let alone a total amateur.

Note: This is NOT me saying, "Ohhh she's a woman, she can't handle a knife." For all I know she's build like Vin Deisel but with slightly nicer boobs. This is just me saying that a knife as a poor defensive weapon, especially in the hands of someone with no training.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

Equuleus

Knives for females

Post by Equuleus » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:31 pm

I'll have to take a closer look at the Kershaw knives again as they do seem to fit into what I was looking for, but the leek is a little big in my opinion just from the stats. The scallion looks like it's a little better at 2.25.
KnifeStyle wrote:I don't like any assisted opener for SD, but if she wants it she wants it.
Can you explain your reasoning? Is it because of the danger of cutting yourself? I've always had a hard time getting a non assisted knife open quickly from my pocket. I always have to reposition my hand to get it all the way open.
KnifeStyle wrote:I buy a lot of girls CLB Subcom variants, the Hawkbill style for defense and the standard models for girls who used them a lot.
It looks nice but a little too modern for me to go out on a limb for without seeing one in person. I'm gonna assume that there wouldn't be anywhere I could hold one? Also, is the Hawkbill the sub claw ( http://www.clbdesign.info/content/view/31/80/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )?

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:33 pm

I say try 'em all. If it has to be an assisted opener, this guy has some good stuff and great customer service:
http://www.uniqueblade.com/
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:39 pm

My wife EDC's a CRKT Crawford/Kasper in her purse. It fits her hand well and is simple to open and close.

It is also a more traditional looking folder.. she is not big on the tacticiool stuff.

She is quite proud of it, lol.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Too many moving parts, too much maintenance, and if something bumps the blade mid-action you're stuck there with a half-open blade that has to be opened manually with a thumb-stud that wasn't designed to be used. The Leek is a sexy little utility knife, I honestly may order one because you have me thinking about it, but the action freezes if the blade spin bumps your leg or anything else. If scrambling or grappling, it's not happening. You're relying on tiny, delicate actions...Once the blood starts pounding, assisted openers become more of a challenge than an advantage. Also, the handles are small, smooth, and slick. I enjoy holding it, but do not trust the surface unless I added skateboard tape to it, and even then I'd like a larger handle. That's coming from a guy with hands smaller than his girlfriend's.

I hated how the Subcoms looked as well, I won't sell it to you blindly. I've given away literally a few dozen of them, will do so again in the future, but I agree your in-person opinion and more importantly her opinion come first.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:Too many moving parts, too much maintenance, and if something bumps the blade mid-action you're stuck there with a half-open blade that has to be opened manually with a thumb-stud that wasn't designed to be used. The Leek is a sexy little utility knife, I honestly may order one because you have me thinking about it, but the action freezes if the blade spin bumps your leg or anything else. If scrambling or grappling, it's not happening. You're relying on tiny, delicate actions...Once the blood starts pounding, assisted openers become more of a challenge than an advantage. Also, the handles are small, smooth, and slick. I enjoy holding it, but do not trust the surface unless I added skateboard tape to it, and even then I'd like a larger handle. That's coming from a guy with hands smaller than his girlfriend's.

Sounds like a great case for the purchase of a large auto knife. :D
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 pm

I wouldn't reccomend a knife without training any more than I would reccomend a gun without training, but the case can be made for discreet push knives for someone that is not going to invest in training with a knife.

They are easy to draw from concealment, requiring only gross motor skills to deploy and use. They are mechanically simple and unlikely to break.

There are problems with the blade for self defense, but I don't think they are automatically disqualified. However, not everyone has it in them to cut someone with a knife at eyeball distance; make sure she knows that pulling it to intimidate is a bad idea. The knife should be drawn and used immediately, preferably in the same motion.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Mampfies

Post by Mampfies » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 pm

"Trained professionals have a poor chance of surviving a fight where a knife is involved without getting cut pretty bad, let alone a total amateur."

Unless your wife belongs to a much tougher sewing circle than I do, we're not likely talking about her surviving a knife fight. We're talking about, say, a guy who outweighs her by 75 pounds grabbing her and stuffing her into a car trunk, or a carjacking, or attempted rape. Guys usually don't need weapons to pose a threat to most women, but women usually need a weapon to escape such a situation. And most men don't expect a woman to have a weapon. A well-concealed knife gives some advantage that may be life-saving. Remember, ~she'll~ be the one doing the cutting.

I have a little Gerber amulet knife hanging on my purse, doesn't look like a knife, and doesn't scare people when I use it in Cash 'n Carry to free a pallet of something from that plastic wrap.

My serious knife is a one-hand opening feather knife I got at a powwow: four-inch blade, doesn't scream OMG! she's got a ~KNIFE~!!! Fits in my bra, and can inflict serious damage unopened, even.

When they finally installed metal detectors at our courthouse, one deputy said, "Who knew so many grandmothers carry knives?"

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Mampfies wrote:Unless your wife belongs to a much tougher sewing circle than I do, we're not likely talking about her surviving a knife fight.
The first rule of sewing circle is you do not talk about sewing circle.
The second rule of sewing circle is you do not talk about sewing circle
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 am

This is what my wife carries. Pink Spyderco Native.

Its legal and she loves it :)
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 am

Knives are not ideal for defense. Look into pepper spray, tasers, etc.

For utility work, my wife is very, very pick about knives. Interestingly, her pickiness doesn't correspond to expensive. She wants a plain edge, non-tanto tip, and slim grip. She's been very happy with Smith and Wesson branded "Tactical" knives. Paid $10-20 for them at Knob Creek. She buys one every time we go because she always loses 'em.

Ken Onion "Leek" might be a good choice for a slim knife if your lady doesn't lose hers. Although, a good lady friend of mine lost hers...or had it stolen at a party.

CRKT is excellent knife for the money if she likes the fit.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 am

My wife has pretty much made my Kershaw Leek "her knife", so that would be my first suggestion for a good folding knife for your wife. (reminds me, I need to buy another Leek)

As others have said though, a knife isn't the best choice for a self defense weapon. Especially for a person with no training or little experience using one as a weapon.

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Sorry that I've been AFK all day, I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off at work.
JägerZ wrote:Take her a sporting goods or gun store that has a good selection of knives and let het pick out what she feels most comfortable with.
All the sporting goods stores in the area are more interested in stocking POS folding knives then anything else and their selection sucks. The one gun range in the area that I can stand going into is the one with the display of Kershaws that I was looking at but I wanted to get a few other opinions.

offcamber wrote:My wife EDC's a CRKT Crawford/Kasper in her purse. It fits her hand well and is simple to open and close.
This may be an option if I can't find an assisted knife that she likes.

KnifeStyle wrote:Too many moving parts, too much maintenance, and if something bumps the blade mid-action you're stuck there with a half-open blade that has to be opened manually with a thumb-stud that wasn't designed to be used.
This is something I noticed with my old EDC, a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker, which I am glad my Barrage does't do. I can close it a fraction on an inch and it will pop right back open. The striker would revert back to a standard knife if the blade was more than 30% open. The moving parts didn't seem to be an issue with me as there were not that many on the Stryker. The spring was a tension spring off of the frame and there was just a roll pen holding a roller that moved against the rear of the blade. I'm not sure how the Barrage works as I've never had reason to take it apart.

Mampfies wrote:Unless your wife belongs to a much tougher sewing circle than I do, we're not likely talking about her surviving a knife fight. We're talking about, say, a guy who outweighs her by 75 pounds grabbing her and stuffing her into a car trunk, or a carjacking, or attempted rape. Guys usually don't need weapons to pose a threat to most women, but women usually need a weapon to escape such a situation. And most men don't expect a woman to have a weapon. A well-concealed knife gives some advantage that may be life-saving. Remember, ~she'll~ be the one doing the cutting.
She has stated that this is the reason for wanting a knife. Then again, the reason I have a knife is to defend against a gun grab. I don't overestimate my ability to win a knife fight which sits just above 0% if the other person has any training.

Jeriah wrote:She wants a plain edge, non-tanto tip, and slim grip. ... She's been very happy with Smith and Wesson branded "Tactical" knives. Paid $10-20 for them at Knob Creek. She buys one every time we go because she always loses 'em. ... CRKT is excellent knife for the money if she likes the fit.
Our wives are looking for the same thing in knives, she just doesn't like how standard folders open, but liked both of my spring assists. The S&W knives I've had have all been crap. The only last me about a month before they crap out, the blade starts to wobble, or something falls off. CRKT will be another knife brand I'll look into.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far. You have all given me more products to look at and made me feel like I am able to better narrow down the selection a little more.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Currently I EDC a Spyderco Persistence, which I really like. I don't consider it a primary self-defense tool, though. I also have a Kershaw Skyline on the way. For self-defense, she'd probably be better off with pepper spray and training in how to use it.

If there are no stores around where your wife can handle and try out knives, at least encourage her to look around a site like Knifecenter or Cutlery Shoppe and read reviews on Amazon or elsewhere before deciding on a knife.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:58 pm

My wife has been carrying a Spyderco Delica for so long that her Delica still has the integral plastic clip. I plan to replace it with a "waved" Delica for faster deployment. The Delica is simple, ergonomic and functional without being too tactical. Along with the CS Urban Pal that lives clipped to the dash of her car, these are the only two knives out of the dozens that she has access to that she has taken too.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Does it have to be a folder?

If she's worried about opening a folder (especially under intense stress), she's not looking to get into any knife fights, and she has little or no training, why not look at a Kabar TDI?

As previously suggested, regardless of what route she decides to go, physical and mindset training would be highly advisable.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

MonsterZero
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George A. Romero.

Post by MonsterZero » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:01 pm

A lot of ladies I've seen carry Leeks or customs.
"Call me the dark intruder
Call me the haunted sea
Call me your Monster Zero
Call me anything you need."

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Power Fail wrote:Does it have to be a folder?

If she's worried about opening a folder (especially under intense stress), she's not looking to get into any knife fights, and she has little or no training, why not look at a Kabar TDI?

As previously suggested, regardless of what route she decides to go, physical and mindset training would be highly advisable.

Not legal for carry in many areas, it should be noted. Not a bad idea, though.

Equuleus

Knives for females

Post by Equuleus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Power Fail wrote:Does it have to be a folder?

I've thought about this before, but honestly I don't think she would use it. She wants a knife for utility uses as much as SD and I think a folder would be more useful. If the TDI was inside her purse that would be one thing, but I have finally convinced her that on body carry is the best solution (but not the easiest for females) for pistols and knives, but knowing that she more often than not has a skirt on with no pockets, I don't see how she would be able to secure a knife holster enough that she wouldn't just pull the holster out on the draw stroke. With a folder she would be able to secure it inside her waistband.

Return to “Other Weapons”