Anyone ever do anything with the standard japanese Bo Staff?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Meat N' Taters

Re: Anyone ever do anything with the standard japanese Bo St

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu May 19, 2011 3:02 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
Meat N' Taters wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:It's a stick - the most basic of weapons.
You will be getting exercise with it thus gaining familiarization with a stick and health.
This will translate to muscle memory and combative skill in various degrees.

All good things :)
The obvious downside being the boatloads of gangs that will try and recruit you.
Is that 'chucks or bo staff? Been awhile :lol:
Bo staff. 8)

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Thu May 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Always preferred the shorter staves, live the jo and hanbo, but the bo is fun.

The one long staff method that I had the most non-stop fun with was the sibat method from Arnis: a great long range system tied to the spear (that's actually what "sibat" translate to: "spear"). I found the jabbing with the end and the "defanging the snake" witik strikes to be much better than the "hold it in the middle and wack 'em with both ends" close range methods.

As an aside, I've found that the sibat method plays well with the quarter staff materials in Silver treatis.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

plainsman

Post by plainsman » Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 pm

I purchased this book to learn some bo staff fundamentals. It seems like a good start.

The Fighting Staff by Dwight McLemore
http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Staff-Dw ... 581607148/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have his book on tomahawks.
http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Tomahawk ... 581604416/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chuck Norris and Jason Statham movies. I mean, you can't kill them, they don't suck blood so they aren't vampires, or change into an animal during a full moon so they aren't were-beasts, so they pretty much have to be Zombies, right?

Post by Gaston » Thu May 19, 2011 11:07 pm

The roshakubo (six-foot-staff) is very useful, and can be used in a surprisingly small space. If you can't attend a martial arts school that teaches it (many traditional schools do not teach weapons to beginners, while others start beginners with weapons before teaching empty hand technique), surf the net and see if you can find any traditional bo katas. Don't get dazzled by the fancy twirling and jumping about that seems to win sport karate kata competitions, a traditional kata will have all, or nearly all, of the moves needed for defense and offense. As you do more advanced kata, you will find more subtle technique, but just one basic kata performed correctly will teach loads. Just be careful that the stick moves around your body, not the body moves to avoid the stick. You'll find that most of the "twirling" done is simply to reposition the stick quickly, although it does add some deception. The Chinese-inspired styles tend to do a lot of work at the end of the stick, using its full length; the Okinawan styles more often hold the stick in the middle with hands shoulder-width apart, and block and strike with the ends at closer quarters. Neither of these statements should be taken as an absolute, they're just tendencies that I've noticed.

Quarterstaff is a longer, heavier stave usually with steel/iron reinforced ends, and very different style. If you're interested in that I'd suggest Terry Brown's "English Martial Arts". Again, if you can find a school that would be far preferable.

bamboo spear

Post by bamboo spear » Fri May 20, 2011 3:36 pm

I haven't been camping in ages, but the last time I went I took a Japanese white oak jo staff, to be used as a walking stick. If you've ever used white oak for kata or randori, you know how much abuse it can take. I came across some kind of big, brown water snake on the Frio River near Garner. I didn't see it well because I was hauling ass in hip-deep water and it was moving right at me fast. I couldn't see it's markings but the jo saved my ass if it was poisonous!

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Sat May 21, 2011 12:23 pm

:roll: I'm 27 :lol:
I'm glad I got a good response out of this thread I also bought a book with a technique but the reviews only said it had one form... That is why I asked...
Defensive Weapon = Yes

That and something different...

Thanks for all the responses...
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Okinawan Bo is different than the long Chinese staff, and the use is different, too. Reading about it isn't the same as actually getting training. I've been taught how to use one Okinawan style, and I've been shown Chinese style, and the Chinese practitioner had a hard time working with my Bo since it is heavier than the Chinese staff. I personally prefer the Jo and sword, and am fortunate in that there is a school local to me that teaches Koryu Jo classes. I've practiced Kendo and Iaido, there's something visceral about working and cutting with a sword that something as utilitarian as a stick just doesn't have.

Jim

rburch

Post by rburch » Thu May 26, 2011 11:19 pm

When I did martial arts, I did a little bit of staff stuff.

Way I looked at it then, of all the weapons I could train with, the staff would be the one I was most likely to have available. (Aside from a knife, but they didn't cover knife much)

I dabbled a bit with sai, chucks, swords, tonfa, but staff was probably the most practical of them.

My little brother got his blackbelt, and his instructor's son was probably the best staff guy I've seen in person. Then again he also liked to practice the kata using a 35lbs weightlifting bar.

Still I believe staff isn't a bad choice to practice if you're wanting a non-firearm defensive weapon.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 am

Holy crap... if I was using a 35# weight bar I would be built pretty well...

But it would be nice just to get home and start practicing... Make no illusions I don't plan on this being my primary go to weapon. More for just a little extra "What If" thing and some decent exercise also...

Next to find a sparring partner...
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 am

The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Sun May 29, 2011 2:47 am

Sigged

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:16 am

Sorry, no offense intended, but it had to be done. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9S-SKJUJQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WWSD?

Donikage

Post by Donikage » Mon May 30, 2011 1:01 am

I trained with one when I was taking Kenpo as a kid. Nice thing is it's one of those "easy to pick up, harder to master" kind of things. It's a handy weapon, long reach, easy to make one, and you can put a tip on it and spear Zack if you feel like it. Other than that, it's got good stand off distance, you can attack different parts of your opponent very quickly both whacking and poking, and you have your combination tent pole/hiking stick/tree climbing aid/shallow water crossing brace. Well worth training in, good luck!

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 am

Paladin1 wrote:Sorry, no offense intended, but it had to be done. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9S-SKJUJQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lol wow... I already said its not gonna be a go to thing... I have several pistols and a AR57 to use those for and I definitely wouldn't bring a big knife,sword or my bo to a gun fight lol...

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 pm

I practice regularly as part of my Kenpo program.

The drill mentioned earlier of practicing striking with both ends is a good start.

Understand you have two basic strikes-- a swing that hits with the"edge" and the poke that uses the tip.

The poke is typically much harder to block or dodge.

The swing can include the 1/3 strike described earlier, or can use more of a baseball bat hold. There are also some more sophisticated holds where the palms are reversed.

BTW, pretty much all police deparments still issue batons (shorter staffs) to patrol men and many departments use a longer staff bearing member as part of an integrated crowd control/ anti-riot team. And any cop will tell you these are very handy in a fight where lethal force is not justified.

When you start spinning the thing be careful, it's real easy to hit yourself in the knees or thighs!!

Targets: A poke is aimed at the torso or face. Swings are best aimed at the arms & legs of the opponent. Striking the head (when swinging) is not recommended, both because it's easier to dodge and the chance of doing fatal damage. (If you plan on killing the guy might as well use a gun).

The staff gives a great advantage when targeting the wrist, shoulder, or forearm of an opponent. If he is holding a weapon, definately go for that arm first. Strikes to arms and legs can definately break bones, although intentionally swinging hard enough to do that makes the strikes slower and more telegraphed until you get a lot of practice.

After your opponent has incurred a cumulation of strikes to the arms & legs, he'll pretty much call it a day.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

Return to “Other Weapons”