Modern macuahuitl interpretation

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bumblingbear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.

Modern macuahuitl interpretation

Post by bumblingbear » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Sooooo....

On another board, people were talking about the Aztec macuahuitl and I thought it might be cool to make a quick and dirty, improvised weapon kind of macuahuitl.

For those not familiar with the weapon:

I started brainstorming how I would start the project.

I thought about using a wood plank and then just cutting out the shape I would want, but I decided that it would probably not have the heft I wanted unless I dropped more money than I wanted to on oak or something.

I decided to use a wooden baseball bat and razor blades.

After a trip to walmart and home depot for supplies and tools respectively, I was ready to start on my project.

I started with a wooden T-ball bat.

I then started to shape it with my dremel tool (don't laugh).

The work on this was pretty crude since I was just using a dremel cutting wheel and a screwdriver.

Then I sanded it

I made sure that it was shaped how I wanted it to be and then stained it.

Now the next part was tricky. I was using gorilla glue because it would make such a strong bond and... it was what I had.

The problem was that the razor blades would not stay in their slots and it was just a friggin nightmare. I also didn't want the glue to leak down the handle since it was already stained and the thought of re-staining or sanding a club with razor blades sticking out of it gave me waking nightmares.

My solution ended up being to "overlap" the razor blades.

I situated them spaced out like the traditional macuahuitl but then put other razor blades between them. I staggered them on either side for structural integrity.

What I ended up with was this.

Apologies for the crappy camera phone pics, but I am sure you can get a feel for what I did.

It actually made a really, really nasty weapon. At first I was not impressed, but then I actually thought about the physics of hitting something with this. The blades would easily cut something hit, and then into the cut the full weight and kinetic energy of the club would hit, forcing the blades deeper into the wound and opening the original wound up.

A sword (especially a sharp sword) makes fairly surgical cuts. Sure, the tension of skin and muscle surrounding a wound that is deep enough opens it up, but using a macuahuitl, you'd pretty much be driving a wedge into that wound, both making it deeper, wider, and causing it to tear at the edges.

Nasty stuff.

Anyway, I hope that someone finds this little experiment interesting. I know I did. It was kind of a fun night of tinkering around and it will be the first of my line of improvised weapons I will be doing youtube videos on.

Later
I lust after bullpups. All bullpups.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Modern macuahuitl interpretation

Post by Rednex » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Nice job.

Maybe go yard sale shopping and get 2 old hand saws cut the blades of then to shape instead of razor blades?
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Frank

Post by Frank » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 am

aren't those breakaway razorblades? so..if you hit something with it..wouldnt they break away?...anyways good job..that thing looks vicious.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 am

I don't think that thing would last to long but it will be nasty while it does.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:53 am

All I have to say is ouch :shock: Nice work by the way. Do you have any pics on how you made the blades overlap?
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

bumblingbear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by bumblingbear » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:30 am

Rednex wrote:Nice job.

Maybe go yard sale shopping and get 2 old hand saws cut the blades of then to shape instead of razor blades?
That might work. They'd have to be really thick, though... and you'd have to sharpen them wickedly sharp.

The obsidian on the originals was... well, obsidian. Knapped obsidian is ridiculously sharp.
Poseidon wrote:aren't those breakaway razorblades? so..if you hit something with it..wouldnt they break away?...anyways good job..that thing looks vicious.
No they are not breakaway blades.
kcor_77 wrote:All I have to say is ouch :shock: Nice work by the way. Do you have any pics on how you made the blades overlap?
I don't right now, no. However, I will be making an instructional how-to video soon.

I'm going to make several for different types of urban/ancient weapons.

The weapon I am currently working on is a throwing arrow with duct tape fletchings, paracord used to extend the range of the throwing arm, and a large spearhead made of stone from floor tiles.

I'm going to call the series, "Improvised ancient weaponry"

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 am

I like the name of the series I will be watching for it :D
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

bumblingbear

Post by bumblingbear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:04 am

kcor_77 wrote:I like the name of the series I will be watching for it :D
Cool! It will probably be a few weeks before I really get it going.

I have to test some armor plates first.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:13 pm

One of the reason's the original Aztec weapon was so nasty is that the blades would break off in the wound, was a good slashing/club style weapon that served amazingly well. I say don't worry about the blades coming off, your version looks like a decent modern version and the razor blades a good replacement for the obsidian (?) blades that were used in the past.
Cheers
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Nice build.

Very creative use of modern materials. I will be looking forwards to your videos.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Braver

Post by Braver » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 pm

The original version was sometimes made from shark teeth also, the intention is to have the teeth/cutting material to break off and cause infection if the blow wasnt enough to kill. So i say your version is spot on, those razors would cut deep as hell and create a tough wound to clean or stitch.

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Quote from conquistador Bernal Diaz del Castillo:

"Pedro de Moron was a very good horseman, and as he charged with three other horsemen into the ranks of the enemy the Indians seized hold of his lance and he was not able to drag it away, and others gave him cuts with their broadswords, and wounded him badly, and then they slashed at the mare, and cut her head off at the neck so that it hung by the skin, and she fell dead."

...just because I love the terrifying imagery of someone beheading a horse. A fearsome weapon indeed!

Good job man! Keep us informed for when you get a good melon destruction video on the youtubes.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Someone I knew in the SCA who was a welder made a really nice mace-and-chain by welding some kind of a gear to the end of a chain, and then hafting the opposite end. It was like a flanged mace on a chain. It was really sweet looking. Maybe something like that could be a future part of this project.

Fishing weight bolas?

Crazy African throwing knives made of scrap metal?

Maori war club made from a canoe paddle?

Atlatl darts made of pool cues? (I've already done this one, it works great!)

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Interesting.

Here is the one I made about 15 years ago:

Main body is ash, blades are obsidian driven from a 25 lb. core.

One thing about these is the fact that is the obsidian blade brakes, it still is sharp since a new edge is formed.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

bumblingbear

Post by bumblingbear » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Jeriah wrote:Someone I knew in the SCA who was a welder made a really nice mace-and-chain by welding some kind of a gear to the end of a chain, and then hafting the opposite end. It was like a flanged mace on a chain. It was really sweet looking. Maybe something like that could be a future part of this project.

Fishing weight bolas?

Crazy African throwing knives made of scrap metal?

Maori war club made from a canoe paddle?

Atlatl darts made of pool cues? (I've already done this one, it works great!)

These are all excellent ideas.

Now that my life has settled down a bit after a move and my finances are not giving me restless nights anymore I am planning on actually doing all these videos I was planning on a year ago.

So far I have added a field expedient throwing dart to the armory as well. A post about that should be up soon. I think I got the idea from Dave Canterbury.

MonsterZero
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George A. Romero.

Post by MonsterZero » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Up until medical lasers were developed (heavily used in the last 20 years or so), obsidian was used to make cuts too fine to rely on steel scalpels, like in eye surgery. Yours looks just as nasty with razor blades. Nice work.
"Call me the dark intruder
Call me the haunted sea
Call me your Monster Zero
Call me anything you need."

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Now you just need to do a Deadliest Warrior style pig chop.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am

Would the chain off of a chainsaw work for that or would the teeth be too short? It would be fairly durable and it would wrap easily enough in the track I think...
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

bumblingbear

Post by bumblingbear » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:19 am

Hachiman wrote:Would the chain off of a chainsaw work for that or would the teeth be too short? It would be fairly durable and it would wrap easily enough in the track I think...

The chain would be a bit short and not sharp enough.

The chain saw chain idea would make a great club, but the point of the Aztec weapon is to make something wickedly sharp where blades can break off of come off to be stuck in the wounds you make as well.

Individual blades are part of the weapon design.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 am

Well, I'm not an expert in ancient weapons, but I think perhaps a circular saw blade would work. I'm thinking a bat with a slit cut in it and then the slide the blade into the slot and bolt through the bat and center hole of the blade.

Not only would it have slashing ability, but you could get through heavy clothing and thin metal. Also would be more durable I think when working your way through a horde of zombies.
WWSD?

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 am

The saw blade would hang up after slashing very well, the teeth would have to be slightly modifyed to work properly in that application Paladin1. If you were to trim a large circular blade and attach a good handle you would basicaly have a toothy battle axe.
cheers

bumblingbear

Post by bumblingbear » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:The saw blade would hang up after slashing very well, the teeth would have to be slightly modifyed to work properly in that application Paladin1. If you were to trim a large circular blade and attach a good handle you would basicaly have a toothy battle axe.
cheers
Yes indeed... and it's actually not a bad idea (with a little bit of modification) to make a field expedient weapon.

I will have to think about it, but I think that some circular weedwacker blades would probably be better than the circular saw blade idea.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Are they the ones with four large blades or are they actualy like circular saw blades? Either way if it were me I'ld cut them in half and mount them on one of those big flat sticks that the English call bats.
cheers

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Well, I'm not an expert in ancient weapons, but I think perhaps a circular saw blade would work. I'm thinking a bat with a slit cut in it and then the slide the blade into the slot and bolt through the bat and center hole of the blade.

Not only would it have slashing ability, but you could get through heavy clothing and thin metal. Also would be more durable I think when working your way through a horde of zombies.
Gosh, I feel like I've seen that in a movie but I can't for the life of me remember which one. Or maybe it wasn't a movie. Damn...anyway, IIRC it looked awesome.

Google found me a few things:

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wi ... ll_Bat_Saw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zombie Wars on Facebook?

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/threa ... 09/Axe-Bat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also mentioned in this thread here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I can't find a good image of the one I'm thinking of, but it looked cool and sounds fun.

Return to “Other Weapons”