The Pat Crawford Survival Staff

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

WiLLiE B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead remake, Original Romero Series, [REC.], Dead Set (Tv Series), The Walking Dead (Tv Series), Highschool of the Dead (Anime)

The Pat Crawford Survival Staff

Post by WiLLiE B » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:14 am

What do you guys think of this? It's a walking stick/staff/baton/knife/lance/blowgun all in one! Plus it can probably hold some small goodies of your choosing! Sounds pretty cool to me.

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Equipm ... ival-Staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL% ... GE%201.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TEAM: S.A.V.A.G.E.

Merovech

Re: The Pat Crawford Survival Staff

Post by Merovech » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 am

These words come to mind:

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

Looks like a piece of crap to me, Id rather have one of the bazillion put together 'survival necklaces' than that thing any day.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 am

300 bucks??? What are they smoking???
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

WiLLiE B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead remake, Original Romero Series, [REC.], Dead Set (Tv Series), The Walking Dead (Tv Series), Highschool of the Dead (Anime)

Post by WiLLiE B » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:38 am

Ok Mr. Merovech, what is so crappy about it in your expert opinion since I am such a sucker... :roll:
Last edited by WiLLiE B on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 am

"Jack of all trades master of none" springs to mind...
Just seems a bit gimmicky. If you need a staff in the wilderness you can make one pretty easily after all.
Man is a beast of prey

WiLLiE B

Post by WiLLiE B » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 am

Dawgboy wrote:300 bucks??? What are they smoking???
Ok, price aside. Do you guys think this is a good concept or no?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 am

While the concept is good, I question the execution... Also, where I live that knife stuffed in there is a felony...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 am

WiLLiE B wrote:
Breaking down my statement looking at the component parts:
It gives you a staff, walking stick and baton - I argue you can craft those in the wilderness just fine.

You then have a "blowgun" can't see myself using that but maybe others will...seems one would need training and a lot of luck to use it to take game - a slingshot would seem to fill that role better.

Then a knife - meh I have a knife already.

Then a lance - a CS Bushman can be attached to a selfmade wooden staff and hey presto you have a DIY distance weapon for critters.

So the concept seems a bit flawed to me - a metal staff that can be broken down.
Man is a beast of prey

ahenry

Post by ahenry » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:19 am

Cool concept. Can easily be made yourself.

Blowgun very impractical, and kinda childish.

Ill stick to attaching an arrow point to my trecking pole for my fishing spear over that.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

WiLLiE B

Post by WiLLiE B » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 am

Great insight as always 'alias'.
ahenry wrote:Cool concept. Can easily be made yourself.

Blowgun very impractical, and kinda childish.

Ill stick to attaching an arrow point to my trecking pole for my fishing spear over that.
A blowgun childish? If by childish you mean AWESOME then yeah! Ok all jokes aside, I agree the blowgun is impratical. And everything can be crafted yourself if given enough time and you are carrying a good knife which you should be if possible. But just like a previous weapon I posted on the forum I just thought the concept of having all of these items in one was pretty neat.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:55 am

Meh, its a stick. Yeah, its kinda cool in a Sharper Image, Rambo survival knife sort of way and it looks to be well made but its still just a stick with some semi-useful attachments you could make yourself with a little skill and a lot less money. I'd much rather see a DIY version made of hickory with bicycle spokes for a fish spear.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 am

440 is fine for a butter knife. That was my first clue that that thing is total crap.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 am

I think you could put a better one together with 80$ and a trip to the hardware store.
To be honest that thing reminds me allot of this thing
^15$

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 am

A buddy of mine has one. They've been around for years, to the point that many cheap imitations have sprung up. The real ones are made by Pat and Wes Crawford, who are well known in the custom knife making world and are also responsible for a few of CRKT's knife designs. Essentially it's a custom made piece, just like their custom knives, so quality and fit/finish are excellent (which is why it's ~$300+). With that said, it's a niche product. If it's something that you really want and think you can make use of, than it's probably worth buying. If not, than it isn't.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 am

So, TWO concealed weapons (knife and blowgun), and the ability to pop it apart, and arm both hands with (essentially) metal sticks, providing yet more weaponry unsuspected by the average citizen. Here in NY, you could end up with a life sentence by the time they got done with you in court. The design IS neat- I thought so when I saw an even better version in a ninja movie thirty years ago. Practical? Not at all, regardless of how well it's put together. $300+ by the time it's shipped could buy you a bunch of other, better stuff.

Generally speaking- there ARE exceptions- anything that tries to do or be a bunch of things, fails at doing/being any one of them in a decent manner. Where multi-purpose is great, there are an awful lot of products out there that take it to the extreme, and ruin the whole thing by doing so. I try to keep the "multi" portion of the description down to four or less functions- beyond that, the tendency to drop off in satisfaction is pretty strong, and seems to be the only strength IN most of the items I've looked over.

A better way to consider your equipment might be the old adage of "the right tool for the job"- if you need a hammer, use a HAMMER, not the wrench that happens to be closer.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 pm

WiLLiE B wrote:
No. Not unless you plan on carrying a bunch of blow-gun ammo... Constructing the skirts on those things is a bitch - you may as well fletch arrows.

I think you would be better served by a solid walking stick.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Just what are the blow-gun darts for? I can't see killing anything larger than a mouse with a blow-gun dart unless it has curare on the tip. Even a rabbit would run for along time before dying with a needle stuck in him.

It seems very gimcricky - cool, but a lot of money for something with extremely limited use.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

I'd rather have a good Mora and a stout stick for one tenth the price. Oh, and Linspeed the stick and toss on a stabby point to boot. Done.

My .02
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:50 pm

Not for me but I'm no role model. I shove a couple of good lengths of wood up in the rafters of the barn each year so I have dried and solid walking staffs.

My main uses are fording. I'd say the metal stick is somewhat slender to give good purchase in that use.

I also carry a bit of cord wrapped on them, hang my kettle from it, chase away angry fowl with it (don't even know what those are called in english), measure distance, digging stick, fulcrum for moving rocks while making camp and rarely as a staff sling. I use it for tarp shelters, clothes lines, net tying, game hauling and spare eqipment. Wood just has too many uses while not costing a fortune.

I probably could do allot of those things with that blow gun staff but how well would it work as a blow gun after a god whack and bend? Maybe it'd do splendid, what do I know, still can't just toss it in a ditch if I can't fit it on the buss home though. Which is really nice with the wooden ones.

I like blow guns, for what it's worth. In my AO though you could mostly get small birds, and those are easy enough to snare.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:19 am

Do not want.

I dont really have much beef with the maker or the cost. My beef is its a rather one-dimensional approach to survival, in that its all "weapons". Its only the sexy part of survival, nothing of the dol-drums. Id be more impressed if it came with a ferro rod, para cord, lengths of snare wire and fishing line, a small fishing kit, a button compass, a heat sheet and handful of micro-pur tabs.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

WiLLiE B

Post by WiLLiE B » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:19 am

BobtheBreaker wrote:Do not want.

I dont really have much beef with the maker or the cost. My beef is its a rather one-dimensional approach to survival, in that its all "weapons". Its only the sexy part of survival, nothing of the dol-drums. Id be more impressed if it came with a ferro rod, para cord, lengths of snare wire and fishing line, a small fishing kit, a button compass, a heat sheet and handful of micro-pur tabs.

What's keeping anyone from putting stuff like that inside a staff like this? That is why I think this is a good concept. Something like this obviously wouldn't be my first weapon/tool of choice but I still could put it to use.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 pm

From the videos and images I've reviewed, the voids in the staff or the "system" in general doesn't appear to be designed for that application. So its not about what I can hokey up, but what the manufacturer designed the product to do.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06 pm

If you dropped in a river, you just lost a bunch of gear and $300.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

raven nightshade

Post by raven nightshade » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 am

Honestly in today's money market, you would be better off taking that 300 bucks and buying more quality survival gear than one james bond survival stick. It's innovative, just not practical imo.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

Quote the Raven

Return to “Other Weapons”