What is with all the Kukri love?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

fungusmunkey

Re: What is with all the Kukri love?

Post by fungusmunkey » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Wow I post and disappear for a couple of days and this thread takes off.

Thanks for all the replies! I think a couple of posts really got through my thick skull. The jack of all trades post and the cultural differences make a lot of sense to me. I probably am not using the thing as intended but since it was not a tool i was raised with properly that is not shocking.

One thing that surprised me that multiple people mention is digging with a kukri! I was taught to NEVER get any blade you want to retain an edge in the dirt so that is a huge cultural difference. But I can see how carrying one tools beats taking a machete plus a shovel around.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:
huntingohio wrote:Knife- this is where most people use the kuhkri completely wrong! as well as a knife! A knife is not meant to batton wood or or de used to cut down tree. Knives are meant for 3 main tasks cutting, carving, and fighting. A knife can be pressed into other roles but is not meant for it. The kukrhi can do all of these tasks with ease, you want to pinch it by the crook then roll it into your palm first! Now you have a knife blade. Easy when your doing it right huh? IMHO the Kuhkri this was not only can do the same jobs as a straight blade but can excel where some straight knives cant. For example while ohlding the blade like this compare it to a "skinning blade" it has very simmilar geometry and is amazing at this task in my opinion [ive skinned serval deer like this, i use it rather than my actual skinning knife because the convex grind seems to make it easier to seperate skin from meat.
Could you elaborate more on this grip? Or post a picture? I'm a bit confused by the description.
If i had a camera i would, ill try and explain it a little better and maybe on of the other members can help with pictures. If you lay your blade in front of you handle facing right and the weighty head end blade side toward you. itll look somewhat like this

_________
/<
/
/

you want to use your thumb and index finger to pinch right where the arrow is. Then you kind roll the blade into your hand, so the spine is touching the very top of your palm. Then you use the other fingers to grip it.

FYI- anyone who buys a khukri needs to buy a convex stone, they are near impossible to resharpen without one, especailly in the field. These can get VERY pricey, but if you shop hard you can find one for maybe $50 in todays market. The shape of these stones make them very fragile [the dip in the center makes it tthinner than your regular stone]. So if their in your bag wrap them in socks[ you can always use extra pairs of socks anyways, right?].

and a second fyi - the crook of the blade is not supposed to be used for ANYTHING!!! This is the main misuse ive seen and it is a big one. Its there to add weight and forward momentum to the head. The only thing ive ever used it for was very light bark stripping duty.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Here's something I've done recently with my khukuri.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=71372
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

Afromonk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D

Post by Afromonk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:03 pm

huntingohio, Going to have to argue on this one man.
Never heard much about Convex stones, i know DMT do one though.
And they arn't that hard to sharpen in the field at all, a hoodoo hone will take you an hour to make max and is very pocketable, also i just strop them on jeans or trousers if i dont have a decent leather strop in the field.

And the crook, or recurve is massively useful for clearing bush, last time i went camping the recurve acted like a shear to the 3 meter long grass surrounding our campsite :)

1SR437, that sheath with the kuk and the CS thrower, what is that, did you make it yourself? it looks pretty cool :D

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:04 pm

fungusmunkey wrote:Wow I post and disappear for a couple of days and this thread takes off.

Thanks for all the replies! I think a couple of posts really got through my thick skull. The jack of all trades post and the cultural differences make a lot of sense to me. I probably am not using the thing as intended but since it was not a tool i was raised with properly that is not shocking.

One thing that surprised me that multiple people mention is digging with a kukri! I was taught to NEVER get any blade you want to retain an edge in the dirt so that is a huge cultural difference. But I can see how carrying one tools beats taking a machete plus a shovel around.
The reason behind that is that most western blades are flat ground, this means that geometricly they look like a v with two lines going straight up off the top, this is actaully a very poor shape because it had to push through anything it cuts.

The convex grind on a khukri looks kinda like a u with a point on the bottom, this makes whatever your cutting almost peel off, and takes the materail away from the blade.

Th best comparrison would be english swords [flat ground] vs katana [convex grind], if i find the youtube video ill post it up

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Afromonk wrote:huntingohio, Going to have to argue on this one man.
Never heard much about Convex stones, i know DMT do one though.
And they arn't that hard to sharpen in the field at all, a hoodoo hone will take you an hour to make max and is very pocketable, also i just strop them on jeans or trousers if i dont have a decent leather strop in the field.

And the crook, or recurve is massively useful for clearing bush, last time i went camping the recurve acted like a shear to the 3 meter long grass surrounding our campsite :)

1SR437, that sheath with the kuk and the CS thrower, what is that, did you make it yourself? it looks pretty cool :D
I guess that is true, now that i think about grass clearing. I was more refering to chopping big stuff, every single person ive let try mine to chop immediately start trying to use the crook of the blade to try and take apart fire wood. This has resulted in me screaming more often than not, i dont want my favorite blade broken.

The Hodo hone isnt that the oval shaped pocket stone? You could sharpen your blade with it but for most people i wouldnt advocate it, most people dont understand the shape and how to hold the stone in relation to that. If you do awesome ,it took me quite awhile to understand it.

Afromonk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D

Post by Afromonk » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:32 pm

The hoodoo hone was posted earlier,but heres the link again :) http://bill-hay.com/Convex/Convex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

And i keep convex edges sharp with the Mousemat/wet n dry technique.
At first i found the recurve on my CS to be a problem until i just placed the mousemat over the edge of my desk to create a circular partition.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Afromonk wrote:
That's the original kuk sheath and a TFT sheath tied together w/ paracord and an M-11 EOD pouch strapped to it. It serves me well

EDIT: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=70884
Check the bottom of the page to see what I have in it
Last edited by Israel on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"

LifeStraw Review

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Afromonk wrote:The hoodoo hone was posted earlier,but heres the link again :) http://bill-hay.com/Convex/Convex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

And i keep convex edges sharp with the Mousemat/wet n dry technique.
At first i found the recurve on my CS to be a problem until i just placed the mousemat over the edge of my desk to create a circular partition.
ha i never would have thought of that, im gonna go make one right now!

I really need to start clicking more links

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:15 am

What, no love for the chakmak? :lol:
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Sealegs wrote:What, no love for the chakmak? :lol:
I honestly dont understand how to use the chakmak. Ive contemplated putting a good edge on it, but nothing else

Bluboots

Post by Bluboots » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:09 pm

I love my kukri! It's turning into quite the little EDC with all my custom modding, i'll post pictures soon. Lets not forget the smaller blade for cutting, and the sharpener. A kukri is one of those tools you learn to trust, like a multi-tool or duct tape.

Edit: my karda is sharper than my gerber gator. (not that it can compare though)
Last edited by Bluboots on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:45 pm

huntingohio wrote:
Sealegs wrote:What, no love for the chakmak? :lol:
I honestly dont understand how to use the chakmak. Ive contemplated putting a good edge on it, but nothing else
It does take forever to use. The kukri edge is harder than a
kukri spine, but softer than the steel in a chakmak.

You scrape the edge decisively and w. a rythm, from point towards
handle. Takes a nice long while :D must be where the ghurka learn
that stoic patience they've got going.
(also really nice people the lot of them)

Edited, now w. pictures.
This is how I remember them doing it.

http://www.khukuriblades.com/handling_kukri/5.php
Gotta love google.

The chakmak can also be used as a steel to a flint so to speak. Making sparks when struck against suitable rocks.
Last edited by Sealegs on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Bluboots wrote: A kukri is one of those tools you learn to trust, like a multi-tool or duct tape.
So true. I was so cautious with my wave when I first got it, I don't remember NOT trusting duct tape, but I learnt at a young age if I made my crafts with it I wouldn't need as much tape as I would if I'd used masking tape. And my kukri is with me anytime I consider going into the bush. Doesn't matter if I'm collecting firewood or a ten day hike, the weight is incomparable to the usefulness.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

mr. right-wing

Post by mr. right-wing » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:43 am

Because Ive used them forever and they work :P
R.I.P HK33K

RedArmyCommissar

Post by RedArmyCommissar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:18 pm

My first kukri was a tourist made model from KHHI. Pleasing to the eye but with all the handling of a short sharpened crowbar (and less useful). However, that experience changed when my Tora Blades kukri arrived.

This is my 2nd Battalion, 10th Gurkha Rifles Regiment model, based on an original from that unit which was carried by a Gurkha Private killed in action at Gully Ravine in 1915. Nice taper to the blade, excellent steel, serviceable edge right out of the box, lovely woodwork on the handle.

Basically, if you like the design, buy a good one and use it often. Milla Jovovich post apocalyptic garters notwithstanding.
"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S. Thompson

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

What is with all the Kukri love?

Post by Israel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Red
That's a fine piece of steel you've got.

LifeStraw Review

JoeTosco

Post by JoeTosco » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:41 am

Well, never had one, and I think they would be kind of a wrong tool for my AO, but they sure look good.

A knifemaker here in Brazil recently made a damascus kukri that looks attractive to me... :D

Andre Miranda

Just a guy who likes Guns, Bows, Blades, Tactical Gear, aircooled VW's, and girls.

My bowie
My small utility knife
My sharp finger knife
My longbow

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:51 am

JoeTosco wrote:Well, never had one, and I think they would be kind of a wrong tool for my AO, but they sure look good.

A knifemaker here in Brazil recently made a damascus kukri that looks attractive to me... :D

:shock: That it absolutely beautiful.... I will be right back, i need to change my pants.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

Exploriment

Post by Exploriment » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:15 am

When you see a woman in Nepal use one, you realize there is a lot to be said for using one your whole life for every task imaginable, and wielding one once in a while.

It's a bit like seeing someone use an axe for the first time and a woodsman with a lifetime of experience with one.

I only have a CS Kukhri right now, have used real ones in past, and will get a proper one from Kukhri house at some point. I like them a lot myself. I realize that they aren't perfect (is any tool?), but they definitely serve a purpose, and so far I've found them well suited to what I've done with them. I suppose it's a familiarity thing to a degree. And I don't have a fetish for them or anything like that. To me they're a bushcraft tool rather than a zombie killing tool.

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 am

JoeTosco wrote:Well, never had one, and I think they would be kind of a wrong tool for my AO, but they sure look good.

[SHINY]

Ooooh nice. Me like.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 pm

Sealegs wrote:

[SHINY]

Ooooh nice. Me like.
I'm more interested in that sheath in the bottom pic with the toggle on it. I have a "thing" for toggles ( :lol: ) and also wonder what it is for?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Israel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:05 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
I'm more interested in that sheath in the bottom pic with the toggle on it. I have a "thing" for toggles ( :lol: ) and also wonder what it is for?
Looks like the toggle holds the frog in place, in many khukuris, the part that hangs on your belt (the frog) is a separate piece from the sheath. Can't tell you the reason. Perhaps one, more educated than myself, could elaborate.

LifeStraw Review

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

1SR437 wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
Looks like the toggle holds the frog in place, in many khukuris, the part that hangs on your belt (the frog) is a separate piece from the sheath. Can't tell you the reason. Perhaps one, more educated than myself, could elaborate.
That's what I was thinking too but cannot see how that would be applied on that sheath and the cord would be in the way when it comes to taking the knife out or putting it back in a practical sense. It'd be nice to be able to take your whole knife off your belt with out undoing your belt though, I like that myself.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Return to “Other Weapons”