What is with all the Kukri love?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

fungusmunkey

What is with all the Kukri love?

Post by fungusmunkey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Nearly every post in this forum about blades or swords ends up with someone talking about kukri's.

I have one, and while it mostly works I can't really recommend it.

I regularly clear trails with varied plants and tools so I have quite a bit of experience with chopping and have taken the kukri along and have only been irritated by it. It is much too short to make a good machete and the shape really only lends itself to chopping. But it really needs another 8+ inches. A good knife is better for everything that doesn't need a machete, axe or saw.

The only thing I haven't done with one is try and baton or split wood so maybe it would work good for that. For any kind of imaginary combat I wouldn't like it due to the short reach much like general machete work.

So please someone let me know what I am missing? Is it just that they have been featured in movies quite a bit lately?

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: What is with all the Kukri love?

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 pm

It is slightly more fetishized than it is useful in my opinion. Some people really like them and will give you anecdotes and stats all day while others don't. I find them moderately useful and got rid of my "real one" a decade ago as I needed the money and not the kukri. The only one I have now is the CS kukri machete which it's only advatage to me is it has the chopping power of a full sized "other" machete in a shorter package - which is great for clearing brush on the side of a steep hill or some such; this is how I predominately used mine.

Other than that it works just as good as anything else out there in it's "class".
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 pm

fungusmunkey wrote:I have one, and while it mostly works I can't really recommend it.
What kind of Khukri do you have?

If it's a Cold Steel Khukri Machete, those don't count; they're just machetes that happen to be khukri-shaped. If it's a Cold Steel "real" khukri, those don't count either. They're hollow ground which is all wrong for a khukri.

If you've got a Himalayan Imports or Khukri House, those count. Even a Windlass Steelcrafts, like Museum Replicas sells, counts, although they don't look quite as nice.

I have a junk khukri I picked up for a few bucks at a flea market back in the day, and I'm not a big khukri fanboy, but all too often I see the "khukri debate" drift into territory which is ancillary at best to what a khukri can and should be: convex ground with a rolled edge, kept honed with the little honing tool that lives in the sheath pouch, and if a true sharpening is ever needed, done on a slack belt sander to preserve the rolled edge.

If you do all this, and still don't like it, then I leave this debate to others.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:08 pm

I sold my high-end kukri because it was just as useful as other BFKs I had. It just looked cooler.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:46 pm

I like mine well enough. I have a Windlass made Indian Military Contract version, sold through Atlanta Cutlery, that I have hard for almost 26 years and is still going strong. I also had a CS standard kukri machete that worked quite well before it (and a lot of other gear) was stolen from my truck. I replaced it with the CS "magnum" version for the coolness factor, since I already had the Windlass one.

I have carried the Windlass one with me in the woods hunting for years and it has done everything from digging holes, making blinds from tree branches, cutting firewood and poles for a shelter. But honestly, a good quality medium sized axe or hatchet could have done all that. It has just been easier to carry the Kukri on my belt all these years.

This year will be different. I bought one of the CS Sax machetes one clearance, the 18" version. This has proved to be a very good purchase, since it is almost as good at chopping as my kukri, is lighter in weight and does not seem to get caught on brush like the kukri does while wandering in the woods. And it gets the job done.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Kukri design. It's not just the "end all" of survival type cutting tools.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Why?

This is why:

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:52 pm

^^ Truth.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Afromonk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D

Post by Afromonk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:13 pm

I wouldn't sharpen it on a belt sander, bad idea.
Wet n dry and a mousemat or a hoodo hone will sort out a nice convex edge.

I like Khuris, currently only have a CS machete one, it does the job nicely for a price that is right.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Damn!! James Cannon saved me from hours of wasted browsing of countless photos of some chick with knives...

BAH!!

Personally I am not a fan of the true kukri design. I AM a fan boy of the forward bulge for extra choppin' goodness. I simply feel the need to be able to stab, however pitifully, in a forward thrusting lunge. That's just me. I like karambits and such, but that's 'cause I have been at least a little bit educated on their use. That's a different subject.
I would take a parang over a kukri, I really groovy a forward facing cutting edge. This a kukri has not.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Afromonk wrote:I wouldn't sharpen it on a belt sander, bad idea.
Wet n dry and a mousemat or a hoodo hone will sort out a nice convex edge.

I like Khuris, currently only have a CS machete one, it does the job nicely for a price that is right.
Can't tell if this is clear, but a slack belt sander is not just an ill-fitting belt sander, it's a specific piece of kit.

That being said, I don't own one, so I'll try the mousepad and wet n dry (you mean wet-dry sandpaper, like aluminum oxide multi-surface paper, right?) technique. Got a link to a tutorial or something? Thanks!

cowboyfromhel86

Post by cowboyfromhel86 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:55 pm

here is a start don't know if anyone ever heard of Bill Hay here is a link to convex sharpening

http://bill-hay.com/Convex/Convex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitizenZ wrote:After seeing what she did with a spoon, I can only imagine what she could do with that machete.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Glocks never killed no Nazis. :D
AR15: Pray (it works) and spray
AK47: Spray and pray(you hit something)
Mosin-Nagant: The hammer of God

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm

cowboyfromhel86 wrote:here is a start don't know if anyone ever heard of Bill Hay here is a link to convex sharpening

http://bill-hay.com/Convex/Convex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Considering that kukris are a staple of the Gurkha Regiment, I'm not going to claim they are crap. However, using them effectively is probably a matter of both culture and training. I'll stick with straighter blades because they are what I know already, but kukris are a lot of fun to look at.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Afromonk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead :D

Post by Afromonk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Yeah i know what a slack belt sander is and most of the time its a adjustment made to a normal belt sander, i was trying to say its not good for keeping convex edges sharp.
its fine to establish one or bring a particularly bad or blunt convex up to par, but not for touch ups or sharpening.
Cowboyfromhell posted a useful link on the hoodoo hone, its quite good.
And yes wet n dry is Aluminium oxide paper, often found in Car repair stores and DIY shops.
Just buy a few, ranging from 180ish through to 1500 grit depending on how blunt it is, then tack it down to a softish mousemat, this short guide will help you through the rest.
http://www.barkriverknives.com/convex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using this technique and materials I got a CS Khukri machete to shave hair easily and slice hanging paper. :D

Angrypirate

Post by Angrypirate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm

In my 3 months living in rural Nepal, I guess you could say I learnt a little about the khukri... And how exactly it can be used for everything from cutting timber, to chickens, to birthday cake. Basically, most families have a few. A wide one for heavy duties, and an older one which has been sharpened continuously over the years, making the blade thinner, which is often used in the kitchen. They aren't intended to be used like machetes, they are more like hatchets. I carried one of these: http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/ ... 3733fd3d10 much of the time, and the locals all loved (to "borrow") it.

I ended up giving it to a Nepali friend who quite possibly saved my life when i had frostbite and HACE in the mountains. He didn't have a khukri, was finding it hard to get by without one and was too broke to buy one. So he got the best one in Nepal!

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Considering that the forward sweeping style blade of the khukuri has had its place in many parts of history, from Greece, to Egypt to Nepal. The concept has been proven by several societies to be an effective tool/weapon. It's not some new-fangled, fancy design to sell to tourists because it looks "cool". However just like any other blade design it has its pros and cons. It all depends on what you like and what you want.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:25 am

The kuhkri is just a jack of all trades, just like anyone of them it wont be the be all end all in any category. It will do them all pretty darned good but not be the end all.
heres a comparrison to the other tools for tasks just off the to of my head.

Axe- with its heavier head it is the most effective tool for chopping. This weight and signifigant downward momentum, along with the shave of the head allow you to chop with relative ease. The kuhkri on the other hand has a lighter weight head and ideally the same blade angles on the head make it less effective but stil very very useable. I know a guy who built a tiny tiny log cabin with a kuhkri, woulda have been easier with an axe, but was doable with a lot of work. The reason most people dont like the kuhkri in this way is because of misuse, you dont chop with the crook, you want to focus the chop on the head, the crook is there to ad weight and momentum to the head.

Machete- this is a great tool to blaze trails because of its relatively thin and flexible blade. It chops threw vines and overgrown vegetation with ease. you can also use to to take down small trees, by chopping downward, removing the blade then making and upward chop and while the blades in the work give it a slight twist to pop out a little piece of wood. The kuhkri with its uniqe shape and weight make it well suited to the same trail blazing tasks as a machete, al biet slower because of the smaller cutting area, as well as chopping as covered in the axe subject.

Knife- this is where most people use the kuhkri completely wrong! as well as a knife! A knife is not meant to batton wood or or de used to cut down tree. Knives are meant for 3 main tasks cutting, carving, and fighting. A knife can be pressed into other roles but is not meant for it. The kukrhi can do all of these tasks with ease, you want to pinch it by the crook then roll it into your palm first! Now you have a knife blade. Easy when your doing it right huh? IMHO the Kuhkri this was not only can do the same jobs as a straight blade but can excel where some straight knives cant. For example while ohlding the blade like this compare it to a "skinning blade" it has very simmilar geometry and is amazing at this task in my opinion [ive skinned serval deer like this, i use it rather than my actual skinning knife because the convex grind seems to make it easier to seperate skin from meat.

The main reason people dont like a kuhkri is either beacuse they dont know how to use it properly or have not had a good one.
AGAIN ITS A JACK OF ALL TRADE, AN ACE OF NONE. it simply reduces carried wieght in unitasking blades, or allows you to be more flexible.

Uh oh, I Jeriah'd it

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:10 pm

They look cool, but I've never been a fan of having that much weight that far forward. It just feels wrong to me.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 pm

They're kinda like a katana. People masturbate over them, so they've got to be good.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I have a few "original" ones for collecting value etc.

I like the different edge bevels, makes it a neat, not perfect but passeable, multi tool.

My old cs khukri is a full flat grind though, what am I doing wrong? :lol:

Edoted for spelling.
Last edited by Sealegs on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:53 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:I have carried the Windlass one with me in the woods hunting for years and it has done everything from digging holes, making blinds from tree branches, cutting firewood and poles for a shelter. But honestly, a good quality medium sized axe or hatchet could have done all that. It has just been easier to carry the Kukri on my belt all these years.

That matches my thinking. The Kukri is just an axe that you can more easily carry with a belt sheath.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 pm

huntingohio wrote:Knife- this is where most people use the kuhkri completely wrong! as well as a knife! A knife is not meant to batton wood or or de used to cut down tree. Knives are meant for 3 main tasks cutting, carving, and fighting. A knife can be pressed into other roles but is not meant for it. The kukrhi can do all of these tasks with ease, you want to pinch it by the crook then roll it into your palm first! Now you have a knife blade. Easy when your doing it right huh? IMHO the Kuhkri this was not only can do the same jobs as a straight blade but can excel where some straight knives cant. For example while ohlding the blade like this compare it to a "skinning blade" it has very simmilar geometry and is amazing at this task in my opinion [ive skinned serval deer like this, i use it rather than my actual skinning knife because the convex grind seems to make it easier to seperate skin from meat.
Could you elaborate more on this grip? Or post a picture? I'm a bit confused by the description.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Brother Bill
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Post by Brother Bill » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Most people can't use them because of their western mindset of how to use a blade. I had trouble with mine until I watched some vids on how they are used in India. It's all in the hand placement. Once you learn how they were meant to be used you can do almost anything with them.
Not all that wander are lost.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Afromonk wrote:Yeah i know what a slack belt sander is and most of the time its a adjustment made to a normal belt sander, i was trying to say its not good for keeping convex edges sharp.
its fine to establish one or bring a particularly bad or blunt convex up to par, but not for touch ups or sharpening.
Cowboyfromhell posted a useful link on the hoodoo hone, its quite good.
And yes wet n dry is Aluminium oxide paper, often found in Car repair stores and DIY shops.
Just buy a few, ranging from 180ish through to 1500 grit depending on how blunt it is, then tack it down to a softish mousemat, this short guide will help you through the rest.
http://www.barkriverknives.com/convex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using this technique and materials I got a CS Khukri machete to shave hair easily and slice hanging paper. :D
I'm going to go with this technique since I have a mousepad and aluminum oxide paper, but do not own a slack belt sander. Or...actually I think I do, but I'm not sure where it is and don't have belts for it.

I do maintain that this principle doesn't really apply to the khukri machete, because they're flat sheet metal, but if it works for you, who am I to argue?

Return to “Other Weapons”