Nunchaku OK or Not (Vid)

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Power Fail

Re: Nunchaku OK or Not (Vid)

Post by Power Fail » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:08 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:There was that guy in New Zealand that totally flipped out with chucks in a mall: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/591718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As much as I would not want to get cracked in the face with some chucks, I'm slightly surprised that two cops were too afraid of the guy to just take him down right then and there, to the point that a negotiator had to be called in.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Power Fail wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:There was that guy in New Zealand that totally flipped out with chucks in a mall: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/591718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As much as I would not want to get cracked in the face with some chucks, I'm slightly surprised that two cops were too afraid of the guy to just take him down right then and there, to the point that a negotiator had to be called in.
Obviously he had a better Haka then they did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f3fvUvOiLQ
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm

KentsOkay wrote:Yeah they work, but a sword works WAY BETTER. SO do tomahawks. Axes and machetes have this wonderful aspect of being useful in MOST situations, wheres 'chucks are good in a total of... two. You cant chap trees, prepare dinner, start a fire, build shelter or anything like that with nunchaku. All you can do with them is bean somebody and bean yourself.
You can also flail rice! Always handy, that. Just this morning i found myself with some rice that needed flailing, and i thought to myself "I wish i had some rice flails..."
:mrgreen:
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

bamboo spear

Post by bamboo spear » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm

I never really got too much into the "specialized" weapons like nunchaku, sai or tonfa. I always thought it was better to learn something simple like a hanbo (3 foot staff), rokushakubo (6 foot staff), sword/knife or something like that, something you can improvise with weapons like a long common stick, branch, shovel handle, axe handle, machete, baseball bat, kitchen knife, rope, belt, chain, etc. The basics work best. If you master the nunchaku or tonfa and don't have that exact weapon handy, it's not very useful, and those types of weapons are always illegal to carry.

That being said, my favorite weapon is the kusarigama, which is very specialized. Besides, I wouldn't be able to take it anywhere to begin with!

Acquisitor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Acquisitor » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm

josephlys wrote: One question, why is zombie used as a metaphor for natural disasters like tornado/volcano/earthquake...etc. :?
I look at it as a universal foe... Here in Kansas, I don't worry about hurricanes, and somebody in South Florida doesn't worry about blizzards as a primary concern; but if the zombocalypse makes your home unlivable, well, we can all prep for that.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 pm

THIS is nunchucks...

This is YOUR brain on nunchhakus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8xJgQv ... re=related

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 pm

frogdude wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:Yeah they work, but a sword works WAY BETTER. SO do tomahawks. Axes and machetes have this wonderful aspect of being useful in MOST situations, wheres 'chucks are good in a total of... two. You cant chap trees, prepare dinner, start a fire, build shelter or anything like that with nunchaku. All you can do with them is bean somebody and bean yourself.
You can also flail rice! Always handy, that. Just this morning i found myself with some rice that needed flailing, and i thought to myself "I wish i had some rice flails..."
:mrgreen:
haha!! good
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:00 pm

This is just cheating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45hTIEE ... re=related

No nuts to smash
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:48 pm

josephlys wrote: the spinning stuff is just to confuse the opponent so he doesnt know where the strike is coming from.

While you're busy spinning your nunchacku, your opponent just shoots/stabs/punches you while your weapon is out of position.

The people I have seen who actually were skilled with these, spent little to no time spinning them.

The flail action, as stated earlier, makes a great force-multiplier over a bare-handed strike and there are a variety of other combat uses, but "looking cool" isn't one of them.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

bumblingbear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by bumblingbear » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:51 am

'chucks are a good weapon to use against an unarmed opponent.

....but so is anything else.

Against a real weapon in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, they're worthless.

A dude with a jian could cut a 'chucker into shreds.
I lust after bullpups. All bullpups.

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:48 am

I wouldn't say worthless, I'd rather have nunchacku than nothing, which I believe is why they were invented to start with, but they don't make you Chuck Norris or anything. :)

But knowing when to fight, and when not to fight, is pretty important too.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 am

Dont make me Haka you ... with Nunchucks :P

Or this !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGxd4xZjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 am

Most vids of that variety remind me of that self-flagellating guy from The Da Vinci Code. :)

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer

Tireur

Post by Tireur » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 pm

SPIN THE NUNCHUCKS AROUND YOUR HEAD, NOT YOUR HEAD AROUND THE 'CHUCKS!
I did not slap you in the face, I high fived your head and your hands did not get in the way.
Epicest th'd evah http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=29034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lunchy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (orig)

Post by lunchy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I spent many, many years (about 25, give or take) praticing with the nunchaku. While most kids were kicking around a football, I was learning the latest double handed technique. I've taught hundreds of classes, performed countless exhibitions with single chuks, double chuks, blindfolded. I've broken bricks, blocks, you name it.
I could even tell which part of their body a student had accidentally hit just from the noise it made.

Then one morning I had an epiphany, a realisation that maybe these ultimate weapons... these uber-violent whirling sticks of Death were maybe not the weapon of heroic mass destruction that I had once thought them to be. Or to quote the Simpsons-

"Nunchaku.... Fun, but pointless."

How right they were. 8)

Lunchy.
Keep yapping, li'l doggy...

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:35 pm

For me, nunchaku are kind of like unicycles. It's cool if you can use one, but there are better ways to get from point A to point B.
I'm a normal guy with nothing to hide.

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:34 pm

kodiesmith wrote:hi i just passed by find it interesting this topic is awesome.... :)
Welcome to the Forums, head over to "introductions" and introduce yourself.

Really, I try not to resurrect old threads unless I have something productive to add.
For example, I now know three section staff beat nunchaku everytime. 3 is 2, 2 is 1, etc
I'm a normal guy with nothing to hide.

Marxist

Post by Marxist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Unless you're super well trained I wouldn't risk it.

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

This is all i think about when i hear the 3 part staff mentioned.

When they swap weapons.
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

Turd Fergueson

Post by Turd Fergueson » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Unless you're recieving decent training with them, I'd say don't bother with them. Nunchucks aren't exactly as easy to learn as some impact weapons. If you're looking for a system that teaches impact weapons right off the bat in an easy to learn fashion that will definitely improve your skill level fast, find an escrima or kali class.

Phantomgrift
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hmmm...
George A. Romero's Entire Filmography
(Including original and remakes)
Undead
28 Days Series
Night Of The Comet
Evil Dead Series
Zombieland
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Slither
Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Phantomgrift » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:26 am

For the original poster:

Get two pieces of wood, tie them together and swing it around. See how long you can go before smacking yourself somewhere that's both entertaining and painful.
Now pick up say, a staff, or hiking stick, or mop handle. Just as fun to swing, and less chance of smacking yourself.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I love nunchaku. In trained hands they look awesome and can do a great deal of damage. That being said, I started learning joint locks and compliance techniques with them. That won't help against a Zed, but an unruly human it should work.

Just do lots of training. Good luck finding a dojo that focuses on them for anything more than tricking and XMA forms.
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

bamboo spear

Post by bamboo spear » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 am

I've never been a nunchuks guy. I'd rather just have some sort of truncheon, tanbo or extendable baton. If I were to carry a flexible weapon like that, I'd at least use a manrikigusari or kusarifundo - much easier to carry, and not as recognizable as a "martial arts weapon". Nunchuks can deliver an enormous amount of energy, but if you get into a ground scrap or start grappling, you can do more with a short baton gripped with both hands.

DarkPhoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead series, BrainDead, ZombieLand, Shaun of the Dead, and for really bad movies, Video Dead.

Post by DarkPhoenix » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:03 pm

bamboo spear wrote: if you get into a ground scrap or start grappling, you can do more with a short baton gripped with both hands.
I drop the weapons at that point. I can do more damage without them at that point.
I feel like you eye-ballin' me, dawg!

Return to “Other Weapons”