Nunchaku OK or Not (Vid)

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

josephlys

Nunchaku OK or Not (Vid)

Post by josephlys » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H0OKsBamo4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a video on youtube, where a guy smashes open the cranium of a replica human being in a testing facility, with Nunchucks. Cool stuff, a normal human wouldn't stand a chance with a direct hit don't know about zombies thou'.

Wastelander

Re: Nunchaku OK or Not (Vid)

Post by Wastelander » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:56 am

josephlys wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H0OKsBamo4

This is a video on youtube, where a guy smashes open the cranium of a replica human being in a testing facility, with Nunchucks. Cool stuff, a normal human wouldn't stand a chance with a direct hit don't know about zombies thou'.
From the subject of your post it looks like you had a question about this? Yes, swinging a stick on a rope at someone's head can kill them, if that's what you're asking.

josephlys

Post by josephlys » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am

I know a nunchuck can kill if it scores a direct and hard hit. But this is a zombie forum, so what about in a zombie situation. In the Vid the guy struck the human skull 3 times to bash it open. So what Im asking is what do you think of the nunchuck as a zombie melee weapon.
It wont get stuck in the cranium + its really fast and looks cool ;D

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:28 am

This is a clip from "Deadliest Warrior" and while i enjoy the program, i wouldnt take everything presented as absolute truth.

Back to the original point, about 20 years ago, when i was starting to get into martial arts more seriously (been training for 28 years now) i got some nunchaku (1 real pair, 1 foam) and an instructional book. After several months "training" with the foam ones i realised that if i ever used the real ones i'd probably do more injury to myself than to any opponent. I havent touched them since.

So yeah, nunchaku are likely a superb weapon in the hands of someone who's had proper instruction for many years. Everyone else should probably stay clear.

Edit : to take into account the new post

1 - At least the zombies will have something to grab hold of to make eating you easier
2 - Hitting yourself accidentally with 2 sticks joined with cord or chain does not look cool
3 - Zombies on this site are generally used as a metaphor for disaster type stuff. Swinging nunchaku at a tornado/flood/earthquake will just make you look like a loon.
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 am

frogdude wrote: 3 - Zombies on this site are generally used as a metaphor for disaster type stuff. Swinging nunchaku at a tornado/flood/earthquake will just make you look like a loon.
Or a LEGEND! :lol:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:37 am

No. Forget about 'chucks.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:54 am

Nunchaku are flashy and interesting, and can certainly be used as a weapon effectively with proper training, but that's about the end of it and looking cool has absolutely nothing to do with defending yourself. Unless you receive training from a knowledgeable instructor for several years on the use and application of nunchaku you will do more damage to yourself than any opponent you might face with them. I've trained with them in the past and I can tell you that there are a lot of subtleties to using them safely and effectively, and I don't have them down. If you really just want to know about zombie weapons then stick with firearms, or an axe or machete if you are dead-set on a melee weapon.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:36 pm

congochris wrote:
frogdude wrote: 3 - Zombies on this site are generally used as a metaphor for disaster type stuff. Swinging nunchaku at a tornado/flood/earthquake will just make you look like a loon.
awesomeness ^
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:38 pm

You just need razor sharp spikes all over them, then your set.

lonewolf15002000

Post by lonewolf15002000 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:45 pm

congochris wrote:
Or become a LEGEND! by video taping it and put it on youtube :lol:
There I fixed that for you guys.
Lonewolf15002000
Semper Fidelis

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:37 pm

congochris wrote:

I was in a shitty mood all day till I read this! :lol:

HellSpork

Post by HellSpork » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:05 pm

When it comes right down to it, the Nunchaku are just a type of flail where both ends are the same. It'll work fine, as long as you skip all the fancy shit. No spinning, no dancing. Just use it like a damn flail.

That said, I'd rather have a flail with a heavier business end.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:07 pm

You can spend years training with a hand-to-hand weapon that's usually illegal to carry, or you can spend those years training in practical self-defense techniques including unarmed, knife, pistol, and carbine use. Try to use nunchaku without training and you'll look silly, whack yourself in the nuts, and not kill anything. Doesn't sound like it's the best use of one's time, but if you spend years training with them, I'm not going to dis your hobby.

josephlys

Post by josephlys » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 pm

:D Haha... thats a good one. :lol:

One question, why is zombie used as a metaphor for natural disasters like tornado/volcano/earthquake...etc. :?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 pm

josephlys wrote::D Haha... thats a good one. :lol:

One question, why is zombie used as a metaphor for natural disasters like tornado/volcano/earthquake...etc. :?
Because you can't kill a flood with a headshot. Therefore prepping for zombies is more fun. But most of the preps map, so it's not a total waste of time.

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm

josephlys wrote: One question, why is zombie used as a metaphor for natural disasters like tornado/volcano/earthquake...etc. :?
Uh, 'cause they're not real, dude.

It's a way to catch someone's attention, it's a way to add levity to often serious, somber topics, and many people enjoy talking about them.

Essentially, if you're ready for a zombie uprising, you're ready for disasters that are actually possible.

I'm also quite certain that somewhere on the homepage or FAQs this is spelled out in detail. Just fyi.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

josephlys

Post by josephlys » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Power Fail- That makes total sense if you are ready for a zombie uprising you will be ready for most disasters. Here I thought this was a fun and play forum, silly me.

Hellspork, you are right the spinning stuff is just to confuse the opponent so he doesnt know where the strike is coming from. But to the undead (If there will be any) it will do yo no good. :lol:

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:01 am

If you head to the zombie combat/zombie biology sections, that's where the disbelief is suspended and we discuss the daft stuff in a serious fashion :D

I actually came to this site cos i was bored and googling zombie stuff, but once i lurked a bit and found out what actually goes on here i was hooked. If it had been just a silly/fun site about zombies i probably would have browsed for a while, then moved on never to return.

So stick around, read a lot of the old posts, post some fun stuff, join in with discussions on blue phone wire wrapped katanas (dont ask me, i'm new here) and pie vs cake. And whilst having fun, it's possible to learn a lot without even realising its educational! Most of the people here are friendly helpful and knowledgable, and a good bunch to talk to.
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:45 am

There was that guy in New Zealand that totally flipped out with chucks in a mall: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/591718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
President ZSC011

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:11 am

This is my reply-see if you can guess what I think about using chucks? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 pm

JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 pm

I bet flippin out with 'chucks like that get's hella' chicks too.
President ZSC011

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Yeah they work, but a sword works WAY BETTER. SO do tomahawks. Axes and machetes have this wonderful aspect of being useful in MOST situations, wheres 'chucks are good in a total of... two. You cant chap trees, prepare dinner, start a fire, build shelter or anything like that with nunchaku. All you can do with them is bean somebody and bean yourself.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:04 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I bet flippin out with 'chucks like that get's hella' chicks too.
nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. :mrgreen:

Return to “Other Weapons”