Help me ID this Blade

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gun_Nut_2k1

Help me ID this Blade

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:10 am

I located two more blades I had stored. The one I have a question about is a Made in the USA Kukri. The blade is in good shape with a nice edge. Very thick blade material. Any Idea who made it or its value?

GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Shep45

Re: Help me ID this Blade

Post by Shep45 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:13 am

Looks like a S&W bush hog. Or a knock off of a S&W. Can you knock off a pos knife?
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Looks more like the kukri put out by Ontario Knives.
http://www.ontarioknife.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

Icemancometh

Post by Icemancometh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Review from Internet. see red text

Spec-Plus Sp2502 Kukri

I was very disappointed with the rendering of this version of the legendary Kukri used in Nepal and India. At $49.95 + shipping and handling, it could have been much better executed. The spine is very uneven and varies in thickness. The flat of the blade has pronounced warps, which will cause the edge to wobble off the axis of cut. The grind lines are crude and very uneven. I bought this knife as a camp tool because of its versatility. The design has great potential, being made from quality steel and well hardened. This Kukri is lightweight and therefore very fast. The Cordura sheath needs improvement, as this large knife needs a suspender instead of a simple belt loop. Without an ambidextrous suspender this would give left handed-users some serious problems. There is a leather welt along where the edge rests, which can cause potential corrosive problems from the tanning acids. The hilt does not fit properly in the sheath, but protrudes at a 32-degree angle. The edge on my Kukri was sharpened more on one side than another. This causes the bevel to be more prone to "peening" on a serious cut. Oddly enough, this knife only says "Kukri" and "made in U.S.A." at the hilt, whereas all the other Spec-Plus knives I have seen are stamped "Ontario USA" on one side, and then the model name and number on the other.
Last edited by Icemancometh on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You might as well change your name to Icemancometh because I own you.

Shep45

Post by Shep45 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm

muscleman_coffeemesto wrote:Looks more like the kukri put out by Ontario Knives.
http://www.ontarioknife.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, you are absolutely right. I stand corrected.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Sucks that the review is so negative. I do like the shape of the profile very much. :D I laugh a bit at the implication by the reviewer that $50 for a knife, especially a big one, is expensive. Not that the quality should have been so poor simply because the price was low.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:47 am

Hey guys thanks for the help. I'd say ice hit the nail on the head. I'll look for the issues the commentator indicated in his Kukri. My only complain at this point is the sheath. Kydex gives me the shivers. :wink: Storm you know any good Sheath designs for this knife? Storm is it possible to rework a knife like this into one of your excellent sword/knifes?
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:18 am

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote: Storm you know any good Sheath designs for this knife? Storm is it possible to rework a knife like this into one of your excellent sword/knifes?
Well, the traditional khukuri sheath is a wooden core with leather sewn around the outside. The funky nature of the blade shape makes it more challenging to make a sheath, since the portion near the mouth of the sheath has to be large enough to let the wider forward section of the blade through. Wastelander could probably tell you more about sheaths in general than me, though I'm not sure if has ever done a wooden sheath.

As for your second question, I'm not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you asking if the one you have could be re-worked into a quality blade? Depends very much on the steel and the heat treatment. If this is truly an Ontario piece, one would think that it would be good quality steel and that any problems with the grind could be fixed. I'm not sure how the reviewer's spine "varies in thickness", but it's not necessarily a bad thing. On the student's hybrid khukuri, we deliberately made the thickest part of the spine be over the chopping sweet spot, tapering toward the tip and toward the handle from that point. Warping across the flats would be more of a problem and probably not fixable without doing major disassembly, heating and careful hammering it out, re-heat treating, and re-assembly. It'd be more labor doing that than the knife cost originally. Might as well get a custom khukuri at that point. If only the very edge is problematic, it should be a simple matter to keep the blade cool and grind it into a better bevel.

All that's based on the reviewer's comments. What does the quality of *your* blade look like?
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:56 am

Storm Crow wrote:As for your second question, I'm not sure I follow what you're asking. Are you asking if the one you have could be re-worked into a quality blade? <snip> All that's based on the reviewer's comments. What does the quality of *your* blade look like?

That what I meant exactly. I was wondering if it could be sharpened properly and maybe have a non rubber handle made for it. Possibly smoothed up and refinished. I could probably do it but you're the Knife maker guy on ZS with a great rep. :D The metal looks ok to me. The back is a little rough from the manufacturing process. I should have been ground smooth but the sides and edge look ok to me. If you would be interested in the work maybe we could work a deal out? Pm me if interested. Of course I would want your mark on the blade.
GN

Nomad77

Post by Nomad77 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:36 am

i own the ontario kukri and for what it is and how much it usually runs its ounce for ounce a fine blade i take mine camping and hiking every time and it never fails me oh and i see u have the kydex sheath for it that the i believe was custom thru one perticular place that i can't remember the name but very nice man .......

Return to “Other Weapons”