Converting an Estwing into a Tactical Tomahawk

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

st33ve0

Converting an Estwing into a Tactical Tomahawk

Post by st33ve0 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Here is a quick pictorial guide for the grinds you'll want to do. This is not my work, but the grinds and idea came from Ryan Johnson of RMJ Tactical. A small batch of these were made, but I believe they are all spoken for. The idea is a serviceable tactical tomahawk and carry system for under $100. I plan to get one of the larger axes made by Estwing that has the same head and do the same modifications to keep in my vehicle when I'm not in the best part of town as I don't want to lose my Eagle Talon :wink:

Be sure to keep a bucket of water to dip it in while grinding to prevent losing the temper. Other than that it should be pretty straight forward. You can even leave the stickers on it and polish it up nice and leave it in your vehicle as "just an Estwing" :wink:

Bone stock:

Take up the face a bit to give it more of a curve:

Outline to grind for the beard:

Spike progress:

Spike detail:

Top profile:

Finished hawk:
Last edited by st33ve0 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banka87

Re: Converting an Estwing into a Tactical Tomahawk

Post by Banka87 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Wow. Nice work!
JamesCannon wrote:So how much did you pay for those women?

I'm curious where to go to own some women, myself.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:54 pm

I am full awe. You has skillz. Very nice.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:13 pm

I read the title and thought "how crappy will this be?", I'm super impressed!
Looks like a great alternative to RMJ Tactical!

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:56 pm

That is beautiful. Thanks for posting this.

I'm kind of thinking about changing the beard shape a bit though, like a bearded hawk thing.

What were you using for a grinder?
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:03 pm

JohnnyMayhem wrote:That is beautiful. Thanks for posting this.

I'm kind of thinking about changing the beard shape a bit though, like a bearded hawk thing.

What were you using for a grinder?
I didn't do the grinding on this, but Ryan usually uses a Bader.

praharin

Post by praharin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Necrodamus wrote:I read the title and thought "how crappy will this be?", I'm super impressed!
It is an RMJ made 'hawk. Read the damn thread people.
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Wow, way to destroy a perfectly good tool.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:58 pm

CLEAR CUT wrote:Wow, way to destroy a perfectly good tool.
But...but It looks so much cooler now! :lol:

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:57 pm

That's cool for sure. I might have left the hammer head on there.
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

It looks very cool!
I do want to know though, does this mod add anything to the performance of the Eastwing?

Nesrath

Post by Nesrath » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Nice work!
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878
Biggin wrote:I still want to see this.... I mean, a dude weeping and fapping in the wild? Awesome.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Nim I actually just did that, and all I can say is that my right hand makes an even shittier ACOG than it does a vagina.
LEO/EMT-B/TEMS

praharin

Post by praharin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Big B wrote:It looks very cool!
I do want to know though, does this mod add anything to the performance of the Eastwing?
I would imagine it lightens it significantly and lighter=faster, generally. Good for fighting, and carrying. Irrelevant for normal hatchet use

IMO, the only bad thing about it is the length of the spike. If it were longer, it would actually stand a chance of making a killing/debilitating strike on anything other than the skull.

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:21 pm

The curve of the forward edge puts all of the energy on a finer point when striking with the forward edge compared to a flat edge. I agree that the spike is short, but this is a $30 piece plus your labor in grinding so that's to be expected. If my memory serves the steel Estwing uses is either 1075 or 1095 which is decent and it's what the earliest Eagle Talons were made from, but now they are all made from 4140 which is about three times tougher. To my knowledge no one has bent or broken one of the 4140 hawks without the use of a cheater bar or other excessive mechanical forces beyond what a human can impart on the tool.

The curved portion of the beard is very helpful in prying through sheet metal or ripping through material. A lot of guys in the sand box use our hawks to butcher goats purchased from locals for a little barbecue. The curved portion is also good for combat, though really these are tools meant for breaching and other uses and not specifically meant as a weapon. RMJ does have trainer hawks made by the folks at blueguns as well.

EOD guys seem to love the spike because it allows them to carry less gear. For some types of wall demolitions the EOD guys have to have a drill and a smaller charge to blast a hole large enough for their bigger charge to fit in and destroy a larger portion of the wall. With a hawk and some elbow grease they can bust out a section of the wall big enough for the larger charge and not have to carry the smaller charge and drill.

Nesrath

Post by Nesrath » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Would this be possible with a regular bench grinder and files? I'm a cop and the RMJ hawks are a little steep in price.
Biggin wrote:I still want to see this.... I mean, a dude weeping and fapping in the wild? Awesome.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Nim I actually just did that, and all I can say is that my right hand makes an even shittier ACOG than it does a vagina.
LEO/EMT-B/TEMS

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Nesrath wrote:Would this be possible with a regular bench grinder and files? I'm a cop and the RMJ hawks are a little steep in price.
It would be pretty hard to pull off. Your best bet is to find a local knife maker or machine shop with a nice grinder and pay them in the form of a six pack or something. If you think the hawks are expensive you should see how much a Bader costs :shock:

Here's a pic I took today in the shop of Ryan starting work on something new and interesting. I'll post more on it later, but it shows you one of the grinders he uses.

Nesrath

Post by Nesrath » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Ok, thanks for the info.
LEO/EMT-B/TEMS

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:10 pm

praharin wrote:
Necrodamus wrote:I read the title and thought "how crappy will this be?", I'm super impressed!
Look at RMJ's website and you WONT see this for sale.
Read the post and it says "the grinds and idea came from Ryan Johnson of RMJ Tactical".
NOT "it was produced by RMJ".
The Kestrel is the closest thing to this that RMJ sells and its $450 vs $100 for this Estwing with mods.
So learn to read, use a dictionary to look up "alternative", and learn to research.

Have A Nice Day! :mrgreen:

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Necro, you are just full of the snarky sauce this evening. :lol:

praharin

Post by praharin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Necrodamus wrote:
praharin wrote:
Look at RMJ's website and you WONT see this for sale.
Read the post and it says "the grinds and idea came from Ryan Johnson of RMJ Tactical".
NOT "it was produced by RMJ".
The Kestrel is the closest thing to this that RMJ sells and its $450 vs $100 for this Estwing with mods.
So learn to read, use a dictionary to look up "alternative", and learn to research.

Have A Nice Day! :mrgreen:
Who do you think "RMJ" is? I did not use the word "Tactical" in my post. Mr. RMJ of RMJ Tactical made the hawk. Any way you look at it, it is an RMJ made tool. The OP seems to work for RMJ Tactical, so I would surmise that that thing above was ground out by someone who works there.

Also, it states that a "small batch" was made. So it appears that it was a limited production item. A custom modified piece, maybe in a way.

:roll:

You piss off easy. I could make a hobby of this.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 pm

st33ve0 wrote:EOD guys seem to love the spike because it allows them to carry less gear. For some types of wall demolitions the EOD guys have to have a drill and a smaller charge to blast a hole large enough for their bigger charge to fit in and destroy a larger portion of the wall. With a hawk and some elbow grease they can bust out a section of the wall big enough for the larger charge and not have to carry the smaller charge and drill.
I'll admit my bias up front: I think that tactical tomahawks are only this much above BudK katanas. But you've provided a nice example of real-world utility... A couple more examples and I might even stop being immoderate about them :) . Thank You.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

cowboyfromhel86

Post by cowboyfromhel86 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:51 am

To lengthin the spike you could forge the hammer head out square...then start from that

Also honestly if you had good files an angle grinder and a hacksaw you might be able to pull something like this off ... might just give it a try.. but it will be a bitch since the blade is allready tempered and if you cant retemper or heat treat it your gona be dipping that thing in water a lot.
CitizenZ wrote:After seeing what she did with a spoon, I can only imagine what she could do with that machete.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Glocks never killed no Nazis. :D
AR15: Pray (it works) and spray
AK47: Spray and pray(you hit something)
Mosin-Nagant: The hammer of God

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 am

praharin wrote: You piss off easy. I could make a hobby of this.
I thought the thread was fantastic in showing how a mission specific tool can be constructed from an everyday tool.
I know who Ryan is I have seen other reviews of his work on bladeforums.
Not even close to pissed off, if anything Im LMAO at you.
If you will read my post I was comparing DIRECTLY to RMJ Tactical, meaning what is available on the website.
Please make a hobby of lacking comprehension, america has a severe shortage of that! :roll:

PS if B Gates writes a program, and even publishes that program, it doesnt make it MicroSoft.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm

praharin wrote:You piss off easy. I could make a hobby of this.
And I could make a hobby of putting you on probation for trolling. Knock it off and take your pissing match to PM. Consider this a warning.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Return to “Other Weapons”