Need a good medieval sword!

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

USPatriot556

Need a good medieval sword!

Post by USPatriot556 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Now Ive recently decided I need a sword to hang on my wall. I'm thinking a bastard or hand and a half sword. This type of sword was made more popular by the Lord of the Rings movies. I'm not looking for a replica, but something in that neighborhood.

I refuse to buy garbage, but neither do I want to blow much money on it. It has to be sharp and strong, because I see no point in having a dull or cheaply made sword, even if I never intend to use it.

http://www.coldsteel.com/handandahalf.html

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Ra ... PS701.html

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Ha ... 88HNH.html

Does anybody have something like this? These seem even a little pricey but I could swing under 300 it if there are no other options. Thanks!
New HAM Callsign: KF7BHX. Unfortunately only 2m band access at this time...

Slow is smooth; smooth is fast.

KnightoftheRoc

Re: Need a good medieval sword!

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon May 10, 2010 12:59 am

First off, welcome to the world of the sword aficionado. Second, you'll want to lose the term "bastard sword" from your vocabulary altogether, unless you're playing D&D at the time. Gary Gygax invented the term for his game system out of ignorance, and it's stuck. The proper term would be a "hand and a half sword."
Now, D&D influences aside, why do you want this particular style sword? Is it just as a wallhanger? Do you want to be able to defend your home with it? Are you going to enter into some sort of secret underground bloodsport arena? All this will affect what your criteria will be when you buy the sword, and the price will show it.
Cold Steel makes excellent stuff, but it's NOT up to the levels I'd want if fighting with live steel. It would, I'm pretty sure, handle F-ing up some idiot who broke into your home, but you'd better be able to prove he posed such a threat that decapitation seemed a reasonable response. For just a wall hanging accent piece in your home, shop around for something pretty- there's tons of them, and they are cheap enough.
If you are looking for something that's made for, tested for, and ready for battle, check out http://angelsword.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and see what he wants for your own design. I've used his stuff, and you don't even want to LOOK at the blade funny, or it'll cut you. The balance and weight are excellent, and you won't be hurting the blade anytime soon- he makes them jackhammer bits.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:First off, welcome to the world of the sword aficionado. Second, you'll want to lose the term "bastard sword" from your vocabulary altogether, unless you're playing D&D at the time. Gary Gygax invented the term for his game system out of ignorance, and it's stuck. The proper term would be a "hand and a half sword."
I do not believe this is true. I believe that the term "bastard sword" is in fact the older term, and has been replaced by the term "hand and a half sword" by modern writers who are ashamed to use the word "bastard," much as they use the term "kidney dagger" to refer to what was known at the time as a "ballock dagger" because the hilt looked like a cock and balls.

This argument is based largely on intuition. A little Wikipedia checking backs it up, but, it's Wikipedia, so I'll forgive some skepticism.
Contemporary terminology includes the Dutch grootzwaard, German Langschwert, Spanish espadón or mandoble, Italian spadone or spada longa (lunga) and Portuguese montante. The French épée bâtarde references the bastard sword, a type of longsword. English Medieval and Renaissance manuscripts refer to the longsword as the two hand sword. The terms "hand-and-a-half sword", "greatsword", and "bastard sword" are used colloquially to refer to longswords in general.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay, it's not just wiki:
Definition and Origin of the Bastard Sword -
Why do they call it a bastard sword? The term Bastard sword originates from the the French 'epee batarde'. This term was used to refer to a 'hand and a half sword' or a 'long sword'. The blade could be the same length as a single hand sword but the tang and the grip were long enough to accommodate two hands providing better leverage and more power. The versatility of the design prevented the sword from being specifically categorized as either a one-handed or two-handed weapon. The word bastard was therefore to this sword meaning something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin, having a misleading appearance.
http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info ... -sword.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bastard-sword or hand-and-a-half sword are modern terms for several varieties of straight-bladed European swords that can be wielded in one or two hands. The contemporary term used in the German school of swordsmanship was langes schwert "long sword", and Spadone in Italy. The term bastard-sword retrospectively views these swords as a compromise between the one-handed knightly sword of the High Middle Ages, and large two-handed zweihanders of the 16th century. The bastard-sword appeared in virtually all West European countries after 1300 AD and remained in use well into the 1500s. Most specimens are not actually desigend to be wielded with one hand, this impression probably arose in comparison with the enormous zweihander swords. To the contrary, there is evidence that regular 13th century knightly swords were occasionally used two-handed, when the fighter's shield had become useless, or in the final stages of a fight, when he was too tired for continue one-handed use.
http://www.patriotfiles.com/index.php?n ... 889&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I freely grant that "bastard sword" is a modern term, as is "hand-and-a-half," but dispute that Gygax invented the phrase. Rather, the above sources suggest it came from a French term, which was Anglicized in the modern era. If I am in error, as well may be the case, I hope you can provide some evidence or citation on Gygax inventing this phrase.

On the subject of brands, I think Cold Steel is totally functional, and is pretty much up to snuff for live combat. Historical accuracy is questionable, I don't know about that, but they're well-made, of good steel, properly heat treated.

Museum Replicas, although made in India, is also pretty well-made and should prove satisfactory.

Albion is Tier 1, but expensive: http://www.albion-swords.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon May 10, 2010 1:25 am

Here's a pretty Hand and a half from Windlass Steelcrafts:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1216-ch ... sword.aspx

Windlass makes a quality product, Based on my experience.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon May 10, 2010 10:54 am

Windlass/Museum Replicas ougta' be fine for $300 usable wallhanger duty.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Invis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Invis » Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 pm

I made a sword out of a piece of cold rolled steel. It took about 10 hours on an angle grinder but it works pretty good. I brought it out to our local ZS bug out and let the members play with it. It was well recieved. It's not pretty but wicked strong. Here is a pic of one of our members splitting a 8 inch log with it(one swing all the way thru)

http://lonelyraven.zenfolio.com/p606481 ... #h1509e05f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fun and function.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Mon May 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Like Jeriah I would classify ColdSteel as totally functional.
I would suggest a short handled Assegai.
About 12" of double edged head with a 3' spear handle.
Cost is ~$35. There is a 6' version too.
Head is SK5 medium carbon steel that has a good temper.
Im NOT a CS fanboy and there are few of their knives that I will recommend but I will recommend this one. While not a sword it has reach, it is not too long for close quarters, and in relative terms it is very inexpensive.

Mine...

the head...

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Mon May 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Anything with the name Tinker Pierce (available from Hanwei) attached will be top notch. If you want something cheap and cheerful, Hanwei's Iberia range provides a lot of bang for your buck. I own several Windlass (museum replica) swords, and they are superb for the money. If you want to spend a bit more, you cant really go wrong with an Albion.

Look up the Sword Buyers Guide forum for some good advice!
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon May 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Just slightly above your price range, but I'll pimp them since Impus is on the road and driving... :lol:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 pm

frogdude wrote:Anything with the name Tinker Pierce (available from Hanwei) attached will be top notch. If you want something cheap and cheerful, Hanwei's Iberia range provides a lot of bang for your buck. I own several Windlass (museum replica) swords, and they are superb for the money. If you want to spend a bit more, you cant really go wrong with an Albion.

Look up the Sword Buyers Guide forum for some good advice!
I know Tinker and own one of his scramsaexes and, if you got the cash and can wait for the custom build tier, he's the man. Also:
http://www.strongblade.com/prod/sbch-tinker-viking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a bit above your price range but you can get dull or sharp. It's production Tinker stuff. I'll have one soon enough.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Mon May 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks, Chris! Patriot, come out and see us at a faire, ask for me and we'll chat over a beer.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

TheOwl

Post by TheOwl » Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Check out Valiant Armory's signature line. They're made in collaboration with Christian Fletcher and Angus Trim and are done a bit closer to the original specs than the Hanwei Tinker line.

Fire

Post by Fire » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 am

Right- this is my assessment of the production sword lines out there that I have sold and have experience with....

Cold steel- nice, but highly overpriced- they will break just like anyone elses, and there is nothing magical about em- great if you buy on sale, otherwise they are good, but not excellent....
about on par with hanwei, sturdyness wise, sturdier on average than windlass/museum reps also often delivered sharper than the others on the list.... not that that really matters all that much in real life, even if you do hit something with one.....

Hanwei- good combo of price and durability, and usually well balanced too...overall I rank them better than cold steel or windlass....

Windlass/ MRL - good, and they tend to make limited runs of most stuff, so they make more swords overall than anyone else, and if you want something specialized they may often be the only one making one.... overall, nice swords, well balanced overall and moderately durable, but the least durable overall of the three.... but that is to say that they take ABUSE less well than the other two, not that they are somehow worse......
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Fri May 14, 2010 4:42 pm

I've owned 3 Badger Blades over the years. They have all been great, but I've been low on money a few times, so I only have 1 right now.

Howaido

Post by Howaido » Sat May 15, 2010 8:45 am

Those short Assegais do have a certain I don't know what going for them. "Run away" comes to mind when I see them.

I have a garbage can in the corner of the garage that I use to keep rakes, shovels, brooms, etc. in. There is a spear made from a fairly heavy ash utility handle and a bowie bushman tucked in there. The handle is darker than the others, so it is easy to identify and grab. Nice to have around.
Run into the crowd as they're coming toward us and start punching the women...They're going to kill us anyway...At least you will steal their victory."

-Christopher McQuarrie

Der Wanderer

Post by Der Wanderer » Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 am

I personally would never buy a sword without some practice swings and thrusts...

That said the ranger sword is off the charts in the weight department. The cold steel hand and a half is just about right in that department. I'm missing information concerning the centre of balance and the centre of percussion (the first should be ~5 cm from the guard the latter ~14-25 cm from the tip).
Rule 9: Guns Are for Hunting, Not for Zombie Killing: When your running who has time to stop for bullets? Keeping a shotgun on hand is important but only when your pinned in and need a quick getaway. Its not a proper means for killing zombies as they run out of ammo and need reloading. Remember a Cricket Bat, or Toilet Lid do not need loading!

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan » Mon May 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I would look at DarkSword Armory. The swords they make are made in Canada instead of China. Which right there is a big plus for me. http://www.darksword-armory.com/swords.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jinn
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Jinn » Tue May 18, 2010 1:17 am

Take a look here:
http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-gui ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this is what they recommend.
http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-gui ... night.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Test results are done on the site:
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/knight-sword.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
txKingfisher wrote:I'm all for treading lightly and being a responsible steward of the land, but if that thing comes near me Imma fuck it up.
Jeriah wrote:Anyway, Steph lobbed it to me and I cut it the fuck in half.

jhoonday

Post by jhoonday » Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 am

In our house, we put 1 Sword and Scabbard Display Case Cabinet - Lockable w/ UV arylic Door with 7 Sword Wall Mounted Sword Display. This could be a perfect combination for wall display. Currently, we are still collecting sword stuffs.
Last edited by jhoonday on Thu May 27, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KayGee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead'04

Post by KayGee » Wed May 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I cant recommend Armourclass enough for both function and beauty. He does both sharp and blunt to suit your needs.

AcidExfoliate
Favorite Zombie Movies: NotLd, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (new), Zombie Lake, ZombieLand, Pontypool

Post by AcidExfoliate » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Valiant Armoury Signature line or CAS/Hanwei Tinker line. End of story.

Cold Steel was made by Windlass until recently (two or three years ago) and WERE phenomenal, but now seem to have lost some QC, which is a shame. I have an Old CS 1917 Saber, and TheOwl has an old Hand & a Half, both are great. However, we were taking a look at a newer made Hand & a Half and as we unthreaded the pommel it BROKE OFF. from Unthreading. by Hand. We also had a guy about a year ago accidentally step on a Hand & a Half that was in its' box and the tang snapped.

The Tinker pieces are my favorite, because I like his aesthetic, but the Valiant are just AMAZING build quality, and generally come with superior scabbards/suspensions.

Hope you get something good, welcome to the world of swords, and Enjoy!
Only Hits Count!
Fast is fine, accuracy is final; you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.
.45/Cheesecake/M1A (Till i get a FAL anyway)

bobhir

Post by bobhir » Sat May 22, 2010 10:50 am

http://www.albionarmorers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not cheap, but it's hard to beat the quality

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Sat May 22, 2010 7:55 pm

shrimpwd wrote:I've owned 3 Badger Blades over the years. They have all been great, but I've been low on money a few times, so I only have 1 right now.
Thanks! Always nice to hear a satisfied customer pimpin'! Which show do you see us at?
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Sat May 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Back when I lived in Florida, I'd spend 1/2 of each day hanging around your tent at BARF. The other 1/2 would be spent right down the way at the Empty Hats stage, directly across at Crimson Chain, or on the other side of the grounds getting my free food on. As a semi-rennie, I have friends all over. Right now, I miss the faires. Been nearly 2 years since the last one.

Return to “Other Weapons”