Kukuri v machette v axe v black jack viking raider?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: Kukuri v machette v axe v black jack viking raider?

Post by Chef » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:07 pm

WELL! I am certainly glad to see no one is using guns as their primary weapon
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Chef wrote:
WELL! I am certainly glad to see no one is using guns as their primary weapon
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What chef said... you best be 'trollin....
NLeFort, please check out this section of the forum: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NLeFort
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (European Version), 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by NLeFort » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:01 am

hey man, to each his / her own...
you just won't see me firing a gun unless it's at someone trying to take what's mine...
"You Don't Need To Re-Load A Knife!"

NLeFort
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (European Version), 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by NLeFort » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:26 am

I should also add that I think if you're in a group with people - someone should definitely have and use a gun of some sort... Either a shotgun or a full out machine gun... Hahahah.. I just don't see me being that person..

If you're solo, or just with one other person... There should be a gun.
BUT - guns attract unwanted elements and should only be used when need be.

You dig?

So.
No knocks to people who prefer guns... That wasn't my point..
I think I was just elated to see people so into the knife / blade option.

:D
"You Don't Need To Re-Load A Knife!"

Beowolf1911

Post by Beowolf1911 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm

blades aren't necessarly weapons, I think my post was pretty clear about my uses my blades are tools. My primary weapon would be a tech-sight equiped AK and my secondary would be a 1911. And I don't plan on stealing anything but it is a heck of a lot easier to gather food with a rifle.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

Unassigned
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead
Zombieland
Night Of The Living Dead
Diary Of The Dead
Resident Evil 1-4

Post by Unassigned » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:47 pm

JollyRoger762 wrote: Himalayan Imports 20" Chiruwa Ang Khola:

Where did you get this war hammer? Name? Company? Cost? Weblink?
I am AR/Glock AND 1911*gasp!*/Blue Wire/Pie/Coke/Ford/Chuck Norris
Jeriah wrote:And for the record, I once had a GREAT time at a gay bar in New York.
ZSC:029 - North East Ohio Zombie Squad - Founding Member, Chapter Officer.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:17 am

IMHO if you're going to go with any bladed weapon that has the name 'Viking' in it then it's probably best to stick with the traditional offerings.

To me that would be much better than the cheap looking tool I see above in Stormriders post that he and Jeriah found.

He's also dead on as far as it looking like something you'd find at Bud-K.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

WheelgunDave
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by WheelgunDave » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Stormrider wrote:
Jeriah wrote:I did some brief research (Google) into the Black Jack Viking Raider and superficially, it looks like a piece of shit.
I beleive you are right, Jeriah:

Looks like something you'd get from the clearance section of a Bud-K store...
I actually have one and it's a nice little hand axe. I have used it camping several times.
Mickey in Divorce Court:
No Your Honor, I didn't say I wanted a divorce because she is crazy.
I said I want a divorce because she is f***ing Goofy...

Marxist

Post by Marxist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Go with a Real Gurkha Army Issue Kukri, from GK&CO. Cheaper than the Cold steel models, official, and extremely well made. They Use 5160 steel.
[img]41UBYX0WIwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img]

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a Ka-Bar Kukri and it gets a lot of use. it's a great chopper, but my axe is way better. It does excel at wood craft as a bark skinner and draw knife, and I find I use it in the garden for things like cutting out roots. The one thing I do not like about the Ka-Bar is the crappy sheath. I have replaced it under warranty twice now as the tip ends up slicing its way out... Bad design on the sheath, but a rock solid blade and warranty.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I have a Ka-Bar Kukri and it gets a lot of use. it's a great chopper, but my axe is way better. It does excel at wood craft as a bark skinner and draw knife, and I find I use it in the garden for things like cutting out roots. The one thing I do not like about the Ka-Bar is the crappy sheath. I have replaced it under warranty twice now as the tip ends up slicing its way out... Bad design on the sheath, but a rock solid blade and warranty.
My favorite large choppers are a 14" Tramontina Bolo machete, the Kabar Khukri, my Kabar Potbelly (smallest and most expensive of the lot), my old style Fiskars hatchet and my Fiskars X7 hatchets (bought two on sale-the old style handle is actualy better IMHO) and last my slightly modified Cold Steel Trailhawk. Of course that dosen't include axes but those are in a seperate league again. In reality the hatchets are the least expensive and the safest of the lot to use, the straight edge are very much like a carpenters axe and facilitate carving while giving up nothing to curved edge hatchets when it comes to chopping or splitting.
The only advantage a curved blade hatchet/tomahawk has over the Fiskars is skinning which can still be done with the Fiskars with no great energy expense.
The only reason more people are injured by axes is the simple fact that more people use them, they are cheap and people neglect them while heaping praise on the simply idiotic idea that a large knife/machete is safer and more versatile than a hatchet/tomahawk when nothing could be further from the truth.
The only edge a large knife has over its more humble kin is expense, Mall Ninja good looks and honest fun factor.
I own a few large blades but wouldn't trade my hatchets for any large knife same as I wouldn't ever trade my Lee Enfield rifle for a Garand or M14.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

forthewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (I dont care if you think it is or not.) Zombie Land, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead. Land of the Dead was ok but John L. was the only half decent actor.

Post by forthewolf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:11 pm

My vote would be for a kukri. I bought the $20 cold steel kukri machete a few years back and it still works great even after many trips of abuse. After seeing how great it worked I put some more money down and bought myself a kukri made by Ontario that had a much thicker spine.

I always refer to a camping trip I went on with a bunch of mates because when they saw the thinness of the coldsteel kukri they laughed at it thinking it wouldnt do much compared to their axes and hatches. However, after a while the wieght of the axe and hatchets made them need to rest while I kept working because of the light wieght of the kukri/machete.

If you did need to defend yourself from hoards of zombies, you wouldn't want to get worn out from swinging an axe around. Also, you can't control an axe as well as all the others so you will need to follow through each swing wich will slow you down. Seeing how the OP wanted a blade for CQC I would say no to the axe at least.
In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. -Tyler Durden

Deliver me from clever art, deliver me from Swedish furniture.-Tyler Durden

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Re: Re:

Post by phoenixmastm » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Girlfriend got me one of those GK&CO Gurkha Army Issue Khukri for my birthday. I love it. :D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Stormrider wrote:
Jeriah wrote:I did some brief research (Google) into the Black Jack Viking Raider and superficially, it looks like a piece of shit.
I beleive you are right, Jeriah:

Looks like something you'd get from the clearance section of a Bud-K store...
I LOLd. :ohdear:
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

forthewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (I dont care if you think it is or not.) Zombie Land, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead. Land of the Dead was ok but John L. was the only half decent actor.

Post by forthewolf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:41 pm

alfred10 wrote:I am looking for a survival edged weapon to use for various tasks. I am considering a machette, black jack viking raider, or a kukuri. This will also be used if I run out of ammo for cqb. Which will do the most damage

So I know it hasn't been very long but did you decide on anything? Im curious to see what you picked. :)
In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. -Tyler Durden

Deliver me from clever art, deliver me from Swedish furniture.-Tyler Durden

Nuclear Genie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Nuclear Genie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 pm

In my experience the answer depends on what you find yourself needing the most. If you live in an area where thickets are a common terrain feature then a machete makes sense. Personally I use a medium Gerber hand axe with a carbon handle. It's relatively light weight, holds an edge very nicely, and has Gerber's "lifetime" guarantee. I like this tool because it can be used to chop and split fire wood, crack open a rib cage on an elk, and you can use it to drive stakes plus it fits well in an ice axe loop which is a standard feature on most modern backpacks. I recommend against the model that incorporates a saw into the handle however. I have seen the handle on those fail because they are more of a gimmick than an actual utility.

One other point of consideration is this, I also use a Silky Pruning Saw on hikes. It isn't a folder but it is a damn nice saw which can be used to clear branches or pare down logs, cut blocks for an igloo, or in a real pinch you could probably rip someone up pretty damned seriously with it since it has an 18 inch replaceable, serrated blade. My suggestion is consider what you'll be using this tool for the majority of the time and buy accordingly.

Good luck!
"Lost? No, I've never been lost. I will admit to being pretty confused for several weeks..."

~Daniel Boone

frogdude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night & Dawn (obviously)
28 Days later
Shawn of the Dead
Braindead (aka DeadAlive)

Post by frogdude » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 am

Unassigned wrote:
JollyRoger762 wrote: Himalayan Imports 20" Chiruwa Ang Khola:

Where did you get this war hammer? Name? Company? Cost? Weblink?
Looks like the Cold Steel one to me, with a modified handle.
Lionel wrote:
Paquita wrote: Your mother ate my dog!
Not all of it....
http://www.electricfrog.webs.com

Sen

Post by Sen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm

JollyRoger762 wrote: Image
Nice collection.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Estwing Carpenter's hatchet for ax, Zombie Tools Vakra for Kukri. Why have mediocre when you can have a Fist Full of Fuck Yeah?

The Phalanx is soo sexy too...

Shucks, their entire lineup is awesome:
http://zombietools.net/tools/
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Beowolf1911

Post by Beowolf1911 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I have a Ka-Bar Kukri and it gets a lot of use. it's a great chopper, but my axe is way better. It does excel at wood craft as a bark skinner and draw knife, and I find I use it in the garden for things like cutting out roots. The one thing I do not like about the Ka-Bar is the crappy sheath. I have replaced it under warranty twice now as the tip ends up slicing its way out... Bad design on the sheath, but a rock solid blade and warranty.
I'll second that on the Ka-bar crappy sheath, I didn't bother with the warantly and stitched it back together the right way, and glued in a strip of leather, so you know, the balde isn't against the stitching.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

M14fan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead

Post by M14fan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:22 am

Kind of cool looking axe, like the choke=up design for using the blade as a knife blade. Overall looks a bit light and insufficiently well built to me to be a serious axe and a bit short to be a melee tool. Prefer the Estwing 16" camp axe for my gear.

Machetes come in so many size/shape configurations that any opinion on that would have to depend on identifying a specific type.

Kukri blades, like machetes come in many sizes/weights/shapes. Select which kukri and machete you like and then compare.

Serious suggestions from my perspective include
Marbles SwampMaster machete: http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... A3218.html

Kukri handmade in Nepal: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Gurkha-Afghan-Ku ... ~60_57.GIF

Estwing camp axe: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/produc ... 28_300.jpg

I actually have and use each of these exact tools. Lightest and fastest as well as extremely versatile is the Swampmaster (careful, mine sliced through the stitching the first time it was pulled from the sheath)

Second lightest and very versatile is the axe. In addition to the chopping and cutting duties handled by the machete, the ability to hammer things (like tent stakes etc) is quite useful.

Last is the Kukri. This one is very thick and heavy. Sharp as delivered and heavy enough for felling if needed. Blade is thick enough for the spine to handle hammering chores. Comes with two smaller blades (one is blunt and hard, made for sharpening duty) for increased utility. Very heavy. Added a lanyard to mine to help with retention.

Hope this helps.
"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing.
I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing.
They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...And I won't." John Wayne in 'The Shootist'

Return to “Other Weapons”