Kukuri v machette v axe v black jack viking raider?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alfred10

Kukuri v machette v axe v black jack viking raider?

Post by alfred10 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

I am looking for a survival edged weapon to use for various tasks. I am considering a machette, black jack viking raider, or a kukuri. This will also be used if I run out of ammo for cqb. Which will do the most damage

bonanacrom

Re: Kukuri v machette v axe v black jack viking raider?

Post by bonanacrom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:03 pm

The one you know how to use.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

ioda006

Post by ioda006 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Is the viking raider an axe?

Depends on what type of damage you're looking to do. You won't be able to thrust/stab as well with a traditional machete or axe as you would be able to with a kukri. Axe will obviously chop better. Axe will likely be a lot heavier too. If you plan to be on foot, I'd recommend against it.

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 pm

bonanacrom wrote:The one you know how to use.
seconded.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm not sure which does more damage. I have not seen the latest DnD 4th Edition stats on those weapons yet.

Here's some 3.x ed stats though:
Kukri 1d4 slash, x3 crit
machette 1d6 (as short sword but since it is a tool and not a weapon it is improvised so -4 to the attack), x2 crit
axe 1d8 (as battle axe, but again a tool so -4 attack due to it being an improvised weapon), x3 crit
black jack viking raider ... isn't that an NPC?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:13 pm

The black jack viking raider not only has a lot of adjectives in the name, but it sounds scary. That makes me think it would be better.

As a bonus, when you write on discussion boards that you have a Black Jack Viking Raider for when your CQB ammo runs out, people will instantly respect you. There is also a guy looking for a "bad boy knife" for when he runs out of ammo, but I just can't link to that thread. You can find it in the Bug Out Gear section I believe. You two would have a lot to discuss.

Try these threads for more info:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... ri+machete" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... ri+machete" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Broken1

Post by Broken1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
alfred10 wrote:I am looking for a survival edged weapon to use for various tasks. I am considering a machette, black jack viking raider, or a kukuri. This will also be used if I run out of ammo for cqb. Which will do the most damage
I'm not sure which does more damage. I have not seen the latest DnD 4th Edition stats on those weapons yet.

Here's some 3.x ed stats though:
Kukri 1d4 slash, x3 crit
machette 1d6 (as short sword but since it is a tool and not a weapon it is improvised so -4 to the attack), x2 crit
axe 1d8 (as battle axe, but again a tool so -4 attack due to it being an improvised weapon), x3 crit
black jack viking raider ... isn't that an NPC?
QOTD!
Broken1

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Stoppard

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:36 am

Doesn't anyone here answer a question seriously before you digress into irrelevance?
Both the machette and the kukri are good slashing weapons, the kukri has an edge in 2 places
1: it's pointy so you can thrust with it
2: with it's belly/weight forward design and thicker blade you get more chopping power for your money
I have no idea what a black jack viking raider is (is it made by black jack knives?)
Of the 2 i know and have used I would recommend the kukri. Although there are more modern and better designs based on the kukri or the greek kopis. Cold Steel has 2 that work( the LTC and their kukri) and Benchmade had the BushMaster (out of production) Black Jack Knives also had 2 versions of the kukri.
Hope that helps.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

Christian for Israel
Favorite Zombie Movies: original Dawn of the Dead

Post by Christian for Israel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:49 am

cold steel's kukri machete would probably be the most versatile. it makes a great chopper and can be used to fell trees up to 6". as a weapon it'd be outstanding as a slasher and functional for thrusting. it's light enough not to be a burden but heavy and stout enough to last a long time even with hard work. also it's inexpensive at under $20.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Doesn't anyone here answer a question seriously before you digress into irrelevance?
Depends on whether the issue has been covered eleventy billion times already . . . .

Lots of folks come to ZS with with original bright ideas (like bugging out to "the woods" or Wal-Mart when the shit comes down) or obvious n00b questions that have been hashed over ad infinitum (what kind of knife/backpack/food do I get?) or chips on their shoulder about how their high-speed background makes them uniquely qualified to Do It Right (as if nobody else in the incredibly skilled and varied ZS populace has any survival or E & E skills). ZS will always supply the information, but a mild dose of good-natured hazing indoctrinates the good ones in the institutional culture and sends the bad ones off to LiveJournal in a huff.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:52 pm

alfred10 wrote:I am looking for a survival edged weapon to use for various tasks. I am considering a machette, black jack viking raider, or a kukuri. This will also be used if I run out of ammo for cqb. Which will do the most damage
I tested various weapons, both purpose-built and improvised, against coconuts, to test how much damage they did. The machete was disappointing. Good marks went to the Gerber Sport Axe and, somewhat surprisingly, the 4D Maglite, which absolutely DETONATED the coconut. The Woodman's Pal was also effective.

The khukri (various spellings are acceptable) is widely popular; I have several cheap ones and am not a huge fan. I'm sure if I had a good one, I'd like it. Note that the Colt Steel "Khukri Machete" is NOT a khukri, it's a machete that happens to be shaped like a khukri. Not that it's a bad machete, necessarily, but it doesn't have the heft, weight, and tip-heavy balance of a real khukri.

The Woodman's Pal is a reasonable investment; the Deluxe model has a D-guard to protect your knuckles. It's got an axe-like convex grind to its blade, making it good for chopping, splitting wood, etc. It is not as good as an axe or hatchet for these tasks, but better than a machete. It can also be used for machete-like tasks, such as slashing brush.

I did some brief research (Google) into the Black Jack Viking Raider and superficially, it looks like a piece of shit. I would MUCH rather have a Gerber Sport Axe. And I do.

Also, don't neglect a basic fixed blade knife like a KA-BAR or Cold Steel SRK.

I can provide further guidance if I got some clarification on what "various tasks" you had in mind. Also, whether this item is to be used around the home, on a farm/ranch/homestead, in a car kit, strapped to your combat gear for running around killing shit (which you plan on doing...why?), packed in a Bug Out Bag (and your Bug Out plan is...what?). Different tools are better for different tasks; please clarify.

But, short answer, if you have a multitool, a "tactical" folding knife, a fixed blade knife, and a hatchet, you'll be well prepared for most wilderness tasks. The multiool and tactical folder are probably all you need in a town or city.

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Veritas wrote:There is also a guy looking for a "bad boy knife" for when he runs out of ammo, but I just can't link to that thread. You can find it in the Bug Out Gear section I believe. You two would have a lot to discuss.
OP is that same guy :lol: He always comes around to ask vauge questions (what kind of tent should I get?) that he should be able to research and figure out for himself. Some people just have to be told everything :roll:

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Jeriah wrote:I did some brief research (Google) into the Black Jack Viking Raider and superficially, it looks like a piece of shit.
I beleive you are right, Jeriah:

Looks like something you'd get from the clearance section of a Bud-K store...

Christian for Israel
Favorite Zombie Movies: original Dawn of the Dead

Post by Christian for Israel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:16 pm

The khukri (various spellings are acceptable) is widely popular; I have several cheap ones and am not a huge fan. I'm sure if I had a good one, I'd like it. Note that the Colt Steel "Khukri Machete" is NOT a khukri, it's a machete that happens to be shaped like a khukri. Not that it's a bad machete, necessarily, but it doesn't have the heft, weight, and tip-heavy balance of a real khukri.
i never meant to imply that it was a real khukri, but it still is a good chopper and the weight is balanced towards the front, just not as much as a real khukri. but that can be a good thing as he said he was considering a machete to begin with.

mpi

Post by mpi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:05 pm

I've seen more people injure themselves seriously with an axe or axelike object than most other tools combined. in a survival or even extended camping scenario i would prefer any less experienced person with me to have something with less self damage potential!
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:49 pm

I agree.

I would suggest a sven saw or even one of those small gerber folding saws instead of an axe for a novice user. Hell, for safety's sake use a saw for firewood even if you know what you're doing.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

mpi

Post by mpi » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:21 pm

i have the Gerber saw and it's very good for the purpose. part of the shtf strategy should be to carefully [as time and circumstance allows] evaluate and minimize the danger factor of everything you do. the safer and healthier you are the longer you survive!
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:22 am

IMO for overall utility as a tool and a weapon, the kukri wins out.

But get a real one, not a kukri machete.

Himalayan Imports M43:

Himalayan Imports 20" Chiruwa Ang Khola:
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

wbfos
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days later

Post by wbfos » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:34 am

I usually keep this in my vehicle Get Home Bag, although it has a short reach I can attach it to a pole handle with no problem. I have killed and skinned a rabbit with it (just to see if I could) I have modified it from the origonal design and will likely add a MOLLE shotgun ammo pouch to the front for some extra ammo. This is a picture of the one I modified with saw teeth and a few other things
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... 2229423061
a .22 and a 12 ga "Who could ask for anything more..."

"People are like tea bags, you dont know how strong they are untill you drop them in boiling water"

Beowolf1911

Post by Beowolf1911 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:31 pm

These are my two survival blades, Ka-Bar cutlass machette, and a Cold Steel Tamahawk I can't remember the name it was the largest one with the hammer back.
If I had to pick the machette does more for less weight, but the two together can build a nice camp shelter and all in a surprisingly short time.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Beowolf1911 wrote:These are my two survival blades, Ka-Bar cutlass machette, and a Cold Steel Tamahawk I can't remember the name it was the largest one with the hammer back.
If I had to pick the machette does more for less weight, but the two together can build a nice camp shelter and all in a surprisingly short time.
Rifleman's Hawk, I believe, and the Trail Hawk is the lighter one. Could be the other way around, though.

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:50 pm

That's the riflemans hawk.
One other knife you might want to check out is the Kershaw D-5 Outlander. Good heft and plenty of blade for chopping. That's what I got my wife after she was eyeing my BenchMade Bushmaster.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

Beowolf1911

Post by Beowolf1911 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:14 pm

I looked at the Kershaw when I got the Ka-bar the kersaw was more compact and used D2 steel the reason I went with the Ka-Bar was the handle was biger and looked better for serious hacking. Plus D2 is a pain in the butt to sharpen.
When a man says never or always he is usually wrong

NLeFort
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (European Version), 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by NLeFort » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:54 pm

WELL! I am certainly glad to see no one is using guns as their primary weapon (guns are for the living who try to steal from you).
I vote for anything you can wield that doesn't slow you down - like the Ka Bar Tomahawk... Which doubles as a skull smasher for those days when you just want to make sure they're dead...

I personally use a SOG Tactical Tomahawk http://www.sogknives.com/images/flash/F01T/pic1.jpg
It's lite, versatile, and best yet - cheap (yet very very well made).

There's also nothing wrong with a baseball bat....
Really... It's not going to do anything but be a baseball bat - but there's nothing like using on to hit a homerun.

I am so glad I found this forum..... :mrgreen:
"You Don't Need To Re-Load A Knife!"

Return to “Other Weapons”