A question for US Crossbow owners...

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Drake122

A question for US Crossbow owners...

Post by Drake122 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 am

Do you need to own a license to own a Crossbow or Compound Bow of any sort in all states or certain states?

I ask this because of the gun laws there, since there's like a year's waiting period for foreigner's to purchase and legally own a firearm, would it be the same for something like a Bow or a Crossbow.

And another question, if in the event that I cannot own a viable HD firearm (should I eventually consider moving to the US) what is the consensus of using a crossbow as a HD weapon (this would be a last resort weapon if a firearm was not available)?

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: A question for US Crossbow owners...

Post by LowKey » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:04 am

Short answer, no. No license needed to buy one or keep it at home.
Slightly longer answer, check the state and local laws where you intend to reside. I can't guarantee that some place <cough...CA....cough...NJ....hack-cough MA> may or may not have passed something asinine. Most places all it takes to buy one is being over 18 years of age and the cash. No waiting period...unless the clerk walks reeeaaallll sloooooowwww when he gets one in the box from the back of the store.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:05 am

In Kentucky I can walk into a sporting goods store and buy a bow or crossbow with no paper work. The same holds true for muzzle-loaders. I can not speak for the other states.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:34 am

Note that while in most places there will be no restrictions, paperwork or waiting period to purchase one, there are states and locales where they do not count during archery season for hunting. This has been changing lately in order to appeal to more hunters and gain revenue, so before you take game with one consult with your local applicable hunting or law enforcement agencies.

Edit: In the 'states. I don't know a darn sight about the UK.

Edit: A crossbow would be a shitty home defense weapon, and I would personally rate it below pepper spray, a baseball bat, a katana, or a sock full of Hot Wheels monster trucks. Large, not a fast stopper without vital organ penetration, and single-shot. No way.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 am

Drake122 wrote:Do you need to own a license to own a Crossbow or Compound Bow of any sort in all states or certain states?

I ask this because of the gun laws there, since there's like a year's waiting period for foreigner's to purchase and legally own a firearm, would it be the same for something like a Bow or a Crossbow.

And another question, if in the event that I cannot own a viable HD firearm (should I eventually consider moving to the US) what is the consensus of using a crossbow as a HD weapon (this would be a last resort weapon if a firearm was not available)?
http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html Buy a Hunting Lisence, then, federally, you can legally own a firearm. AFAIK

What would your status as an alien, where would you be going?

Don't use a crossbow for home defence. One Shot, and then it's a cumbersome hunk of junk, one shot, which although easily lethal, will not stop an attacker as quick as a firearm will. I'd honestly rather have a hockey stick or some such for home defence, over a crossbow.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Bluesman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Bluesman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:00 pm

I've shot both a bow and a crossbow, but I'm no where near and expert on either. However, the crossbow was easier to learn since it functioned like a rifle (more or less) and those I am familiar with. We cannot use crossbows on deer, unless you have a handicap. The value of the crossbow, IMO, is that it is silent and can be left ready to fire and requires very little motion to bring it into firing position and you don't have to worry so much about fatigue while waiting for the pesky deer to step out from behind a bush.

If you don't have a multiple shot firearm, go with something manageble in confined spaces.
Ignorance is a self-inflicted wound - Bluesman

KC0KSV Extra Class

Group Think = No Think

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Bows are not Silent!

Sorry pet peeve, they are quieter, but they are not silent. It takes a lot of effort to get a bow to something approaching silence.
My Guide to Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Hatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Land of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hatch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:40 pm

In the State of North Carolina, buying a crossbow requires a handgun purchase permit, issued by your county sheriff. Legally, a crossbow is treated the same as a handgun. You even have to fill out a 4473 when buying one, silly as that may sound.

But ironically, you can buy a muzzle-loading black powder rifle (the weapon that historically replaced the crossbow), over the counter, no permit or NICS check required. Yes, sometimes our State legislature is a little retarded. :lol:

--Hatch
3d6. That's how I roll.

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 pm

in your case, I would get a pair of black powder revolvers and black powder riffle for hunting,
and a cross bow to have fun playing with.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

Bluesman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Bluesman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Ad'lan wrote:Bows are not Silent!

Sorry pet peeve, they are quieter, but they are not silent. It takes a lot of effort to get a bow to something approaching silence.
LOL! You are correct Sir! I should have said they are very quiet. But, if your around guns a lot, you consider them to be silent :wink:
Ignorance is a self-inflicted wound - Bluesman

KC0KSV Extra Class

Group Think = No Think

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:01 am

Brendan Sullivan wrote:Note that while in most places there will be no restrictions, paperwork or waiting period to purchase one, there are states and locales where they do not count during archery season for hunting. This has been changing lately in order to appeal to more hunters and gain revenue, so before you take game with one consult with your local applicable hunting or law enforcement agencies.

Edit: A crossbow would be a shitty home defense weapon, and I would personally rate it below pepper spray, a baseball bat, a katana, or a sock full of Hot Wheels monster trucks. Large, not a fast stopper without vital organ penetration, and single-shot. No way.
This.

Where I'm from (PA) you are not allowed to hunt with them UNLESS you have use of only one arm. If you have a handicap that affects the use of one of your hands then you can use a crossbow to hunt with.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:21 am

I belive it's generally that you have to have a doctor certify you as unable to use a vertical bow.
My Guide to Fletching

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:34 am

TerryGecko wrote:
Brendan Sullivan wrote:Note that while in most places there will be no restrictions, paperwork or waiting period to purchase one, there are states and locales where they do not count during archery season for hunting. This has been changing lately in order to appeal to more hunters and gain revenue, so before you take game with one consult with your local applicable hunting or law enforcement agencies.

This.

Where I'm from (PA) you are not allowed to hunt with them UNLESS you have use of only one arm. If you have a handicap that affects the use of one of your hands then you can use a crossbow to hunt with.
PA you may now use crossbow special reg zones.
Release #032-01

CROSSBOWS APPROVED FOR LIMITED USE IN SPECIAL REGULATIONS AREAS
BOARD APPROVES USE OF CERTAIN TURKEY BLINDS GAME COMMISSION
RELEASES RESULTS OF HUNTER/TRAPPER SURVEY
HARRISBURG -- The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners gave final approval to a measure allowing deer hunters to use crossbows in Special Regulations Areas during the upcoming regular firearms deer season (Nov. 26-Dec. 8, and Dec. 26-Jan. 12). Special Regulations Areas counties are Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia.

"The Game Commission believes it should move cautiously in an effort to incorporate the use of crossbows in our deer hunting seasons so we can measure what impact, if any, crossbow hunters may have on the resource," said Vern Ross, Game Commission executive director. "Special Regulations Areas serve as fine testing grounds for the crossbow because they demand short-range sporting arms and have excessive deer populations. Our greatest interest now is measuring what type of following the crossbow attracts. Determining that will help guide us in future crossbow-hunting decisions. "

Under the new regulation, a crossbow is defined as: "A device consisting of a bow fixed transversely on a stock, the string of which is released by a trigger mechanism, has a mechanical safety and propels an arrow." The new regulation also requires crossbows used for deer hunting to have a draw weight of not less than 125 pounds nor more than 200 pounds.

Previously, only hunters with permanent disabilities and a permit from the Game Commission could use crossbows. However, Act 111, which was approved by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Tom Ridge at the end of 2000, removed crossbows from the list of unlawful devices and methods for hunting in the Game and Wildlife Code (Title 34). The new law also allows hunters with temporary disabilities to apply for a permit to use a crossbow throughout the state for up to one year.
End derail :mrgreen:

OT crossbow bad idea for HD.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:04 am

new regulation wrote:[...]consisting of a bow fixed transversely on a stock, the string of which is released by a trigger mechanism, has a mechanical safety and propels an arrow.
I saw a show, Jackass or one of those, where the guy donned a cuirass and let an archer shoot him in the chest with his modern crossbow. The strange thing was that it was vertically-aligned rather than transverse, though it looked like a production xbow rather than a mod to a regular bow. Has anyone seen the video clip? Hope I'm not misremembering, can't find it on the 'nets. Ever encountered one of these? How would the regs above handle such a thing?

Example

Edit: D'yarr, maties. Thar be the clip but I can't view it to confirm.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 am

Hatch wrote:In the State of North Carolina, buying a crossbow requires a handgun purchase permit, issued by your county sheriff. Legally, a crossbow is treated the same as a handgun. You even have to fill out a 4473 when buying one, silly as that may sound.

But ironically, you can buy a muzzle-loading black powder rifle (the weapon that historically replaced the crossbow), over the counter, no permit or NICS check required. Yes, sometimes our State legislature is a little retarded. :lol:

--Hatch

Just out of curiousity, why would a federal form (the 4473) be used for something the federal government doesnt care about?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Hatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Land of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hatch » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:06 pm

crypto wrote:
Hatch wrote:In the State of North Carolina, buying a crossbow requires a handgun purchase permit, issued by your county sheriff. Legally, a crossbow is treated the same as a handgun. You even have to fill out a 4473 when buying one, silly as that may sound.

--Hatch

Just out of curiousity, why would a federal form (the 4473) be used for something the federal government doesnt care about?
In a nutshell, foolish consistency. The law requires that a crossbow purchaser have a handgun purchase permit (we don't do NICS for handgun purchases in NC), or a concealed handgun license (which eliminates the need for the purchase permit). The law also requires that businesses that sell crossbows keep a record of those sales, just like they would for a firearm. So since businesses have to treat the crossbow purchase like a handgun purchase, collect the permit, verify the ID, and maintain a record of sale, they just use the 4473 like they would for a handgun purchase. I imagine it simply makes their records easier to maintain, rather than having a different form for crossbows. I can't find any state law that specifically requires a 4473 be used, it's just the standard practice.

--Hatch
3d6. That's how I roll.

unkieford

Post by unkieford » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Here in the wild west (Arizona) you can own pretty much anything you want, short of WMD's.
The requirements for purchasing a crossbow are i think, 18 years old, and enough money to pay for it. :wink:

---Ford---
He was one of God's own prototypes... a sort of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. He was too strange to live, and too rare to die. ---HST---

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:45 pm

In Vermont, people really don't care other than game wardens. Hunting with them is frowned on without a note from your doctor or military medical discharge papers saying you are unable to use one of your arms. Sticking a flashlight on there for surprising the deer would make you even less popular with Fish & Game. *laughs*

People have funny ideas about crossbows. Yes, I own one. No, it isn't like shooting a rifle. No, it isn't like shooting a bow. It isn't quite like anything else.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 pm

I kinda want one. The nice ones are a bit expensive for me at the moment though.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:08 am

ninja steve wrote:I kinda want one. The nice ones are a bit expensive for me at the moment though.
They try making one of these at home.

Or one of these
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Humblesteve

Post by Humblesteve » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:41 pm

check these out:
http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've built one, and I know a guy who's built dozens. The guy claimed (and had proven) he could put bolts on target (headshot sized groupings) at 12 bolts per minute at 25 yards. I'm not much of a gun guy so I don't really know how that stacks up, but I was impressed when he did it.

Back to the Xbows, the one I built cost about 90-120 bucks in the end. The website takes forever to fulfill an order though, expect 6 months.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:03 pm

no laws restricting crosbows or air rifles here in MA aside from Age 16 + i believe

but like others have said, unless you qualify for disabled hunting season, crossbows arnt allowed in hunting
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Return to “Other Weapons”