Did you all have one of these as a kid?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:30 am

shortly after I saw "Rambo: First Blood"...
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 am

Yes. My dad's an electrician and did the wiring for G.I. Joe's Army Navy Surplus Store on 6th and Market in downtown San Diego. One time we were down there and the owner came out with a pair of those, asking my dad if it was okay to give them to my brother and I. The compasses were broken, so he couldn't sell them. My dad said, sure, so we both had those knives for a while.

Can't recall what happened to it, but I don't remember breaking it or anything. I think maybe my mother ditched it in one of her "no war toys" purges.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:34 am

Haha, yeah, the only thing my mom was ever really hardcore about me not doing was playing with guns.

Yeah, that didn't work out so well as you can see (me on the right with the grenade bags and K98k)

Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

gtflash

Post by gtflash » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:41 am

Oh yes, I had one during the Rambo craze. I don't remember what happened to it, but I do remember that I never could get a decent edge on mine. The steel just sorta crumbled away...lol I also remember trying to use it as a spear :oops: :roll: but that didn't work out so well either.

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:46 am

"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 am

lol
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:00 pm

We used to use one to clean horse clams when I was a kid. I thought it was the coolest knife EVER! Now I just want one for nostalgic purposes...
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Yep, it was $6.95.

Wire saw broke first time unfolding it. Compass got stuck. The other stuff never got used. The blade started to wiggle and it finally broke while I was using the knife to make a "fort" in the woods we played in.

Saved up my money and bought a Swiss Army knife and had a better time.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

thekessel

Post by thekessel » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 pm

I had one. My uncle got one for me and my brother one christmas.

Raven927

Post by Raven927 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm

I still have one. And a real old one.
crypto wrote:The Ruger Hokey-Pokey

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:29 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Yep, it was $6.95.

Wire saw broke first time unfolding it. Compass got stuck. The other stuff never got used. The blade started to wiggle and it finally broke while I was using the knife to make a "fort" in the woods we played in.

Mom took away the matches, blade rusted after swimming with it in my teeth like a pirate, lost the compass/cap, made it dull trying to "sharpen" it with the stone.

Good times. :lol:
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:50 pm

The tacticool kids in my gaming groups all had them. Gods, what a memory!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:20 pm

Ricky Romero wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Yep, it was $6.95.

Mom took away the matches, blade rusted after swimming with it in my teeth like a pirate, lost the compass/cap, made it dull trying to "sharpen" it with the stone.

Good times. :lol:
I never swam with mine in my teeth before. That's friggin' awesome. :o
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

PAW for President

Post by PAW for President » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:23 pm

Ricky Romero wrote:...blade rusted after swimming with it in my teeth like a pirate...
You got to swim with a knife in your teeth? Your childhood kicks my childhood's ass.

I was afraid of everything as a kid, & my mother would have been terrified that I'd inadvertently gut myself; I’ve never seen one of these. Was this, like, standard issue for you guys? I've never even seen Rambo...
mdg
Doc Simon wrote:Fix your fucking sig lil sister.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:37 pm

Ok this thread actually reminded me of one of my favorite toys as a kid.

http://www.retrostatic.com/videos/p803_ ... 03_js_on/1

That shit was SO aweome.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:38 pm

My grandpa got me one, i was prob 6 or 7 when He gave it to me.

I still have it laying around somewhere. It never got an edge, the compass lasted for a couple of years then broke, and i always kept a Mini-bob in it.

I'd love to find another one of these, just in case I have kids one day.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Never had anything like that. When I was ten my Dad gave me a Swiss Army Penknife. I loved that thing. I would spend ages using it to make spears and carve my names in things and that sort of thing. However, when I started boarding at school, I took it with me and it got confiscated and I never saw it again. But still I loved it.
"Went the day well?"

By Outsider_XT at 2007-08-21

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Hell, no, I never had one, and my childhood didn't suck!

When I was 7, my dad gave me my first pocket knife, an official Camilus Cub Scout Knife. When I was 12, he made me a hunting knife from an old broken blade someone had given him. I still have it, along with the personalized sheath he made for it as well.

My old man knew better then to trust a cheap knife in the woods, where a quality blade could make the difference and would never let me have one of those "Rambo" knives.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:21 pm

czechnology wrote:Ok this thread actually reminded me of one of my favorite toys as a kid.

http://www.retrostatic.com/videos/p803_ ... 03_js_on/1

That shit was SO aweome.
Holy shit, I had the pistol! I think my uncle bought it for me as a christmas present. I loved that thing. I had forgotten about it until I saw that.

drunkensurvivor

Post by drunkensurvivor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:43 pm

I ordered one of the cheap ones out of the back of a boyscout magazine(I think?). It was a real piece of crap, you could just bend the blade in half with your hands. The blade also rusted easily. I don't even think the compass worked when I first got it.

I still have another one that was given to me. It is quite a bit better quality than the other one, but by design has almost no tang. So not a completely horrible blade, but it wouldn't have the strength for any real survival work like chopping. The compass still works though.

I have yet another hollow blade knife, but this one is a decent blade. A bit of a tang, but still not as much as I'd like. This one wasn't designed as a rambo blade, it was actually designed as a serious survival knife for explorers and isn't a cheap POS.

There is also a Randall custom blade that has a hollow compartment, but that blade costs big bucks.

solliz

Post by solliz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:57 pm

I never had one. My grandfather let me pick between one of those knives or a bb gun for my birthday. I took the bb gun.

Edit: Army Gear was awesome, but I got stuck with about 3 of the stupid compasses.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:16 pm

solliz wrote:I never had one. My grandfather let me pick between one of those knives or a bb gun for my birthday. I took the bb gun.

Edit: Army Gear was awesome, but I got stuck with about 3 of the stupid compasses.
my best friend had the M16. It was the coolest thing in the universe.

Zamboni

Post by Zamboni » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:23 pm

The Rambo III knife seemed to be actually well made. I tink that it was a Hibbon design. A friend of mine had one and I remember thinking that it would be pretty cool if it hadn't had "RAMBO III" etched on hte side.
Rectum? It nearly killed him!

Return to “Other Weapons”