One weapon/tool

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tool/weapon

crowbar
28%
hatchet
30%
axe
25%
katana/long sword
7%
short sword
7%
sledgehammer
0%
spear
3%

Total votes: 231

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:55 am

Cold Steel makes a shovel that is modeled from the Spetznaz "fighting shovel". It's the official "Boy Scout" shovel. They won't let those Boy Scouts have a fixed blade knife, but they will let them have a Spetznaz fighting shovel. LOL

Undeaded

Post by Undeaded » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:11 pm

I'd go with a Maul. Who knows when you might want the sledgehammer aspect of it?

Ranked Below

Post by Ranked Below » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:06 am

Erik wrote:
dymaxium wrote:And first prize goes to:
The Maul!!! Part sledgehammer, part ax, all that is man.

Not intended for metal to metal contact (too brittle, can cause small metal fragments to fly), but in a desperate situation, I'm sure it would do very nicely for almost anything. I've handled these before and they have a very nice heavy feel to them with a lot of momentum once they get moving. I'll take mine with a fiber-reinforced polymer handle instead of the wood, however.

Ah, I do love the maul. In my part of the country, we call it a "go-devil." If I have one of these, I can split 3-foot wide logs without a wedge, although you can use a wedge with the sledgehammer end.

Of course, the ultimate wood-splitting combination is the maul and wood grenade.

I have never had a log stand up to one of these, regardless of thickness.

-Erik
Wood Grenade?
INFORM

JimBobVT
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by JimBobVT » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:08 pm

I'd go with the Gator II camp axe, with the handle knife from the Gator. As an aside, can anyone come up with a survival/disaster situation where the levering capabilities of a crowbar would beat the wood chopping abilities of an axe? I mean, you know that fire may be a necessity (food, warmth, etc) but when would you really NEED 3 ft of leverage? And B&E does NOT count as a necessity. (see any wal-mart/looting posts)
Am I a Noob or a Newb here?
I was once voted most likely to be patient x.

Vampire

Post by Vampire » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:24 pm

If you're in a city, your source of fuel is a little different than in the woods. Closets can be broken down with an axe, but also with a crowbar. It could also be used on metal, something like a bicycle lock or a train rail. A lot of activities that can be taken participation in with a crowbar are now seen as illegal, but may be handy for those few survivors.
3 foot leverage is quite a crowbar I must say, not really the easy to handle type.
Anyway, the number one argument for a crowbar is that it doesn't break. Sure, it can be done, but it's a though job, while an axe needs repair all the time. In classical warfare weapons with a wooden shaft have always been popular, not just because they cost less, but because a metal shaft is way too heavy. If you're not lucky enough to have a blacksmidt arround however, longetivity starts counting.
Oké, so the thing sucks, and then? I mean, cool factor counts...
Seanwins wrote:Zed = Dead stupid thing that wants to bite you a lot.
I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:58 pm

I'll take this. I don't know what it's called yet, I'm still making it. Paladin Blade? I'm planning on wrapping the handle with paracord, that could be unwound and used to lash it to a pole for serious spear/halberd type tool/weapon. Open to suggestions on improvements.

16" overall length, 10.5" blade, .23" thick 1085 heat treated steel. Still working on it so final weight TBA, probably 1.5lbs? Front edge is for cutting/chopping. Back edge is for sawing. End is beveled for digging/prying. Spike for puncturing, leading to a sharp hook. Holes are for pulling nails, twisting rope/wire. handle end for hammering.

[img][img]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj21 ... /Tool1.jpg[/img]][/img]]

Gorebucket

Post by Gorebucket » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:27 pm

JimBobVT wrote:As an aside, can anyone come up with a survival/disaster situation where the levering capabilities of a crowbar would beat the wood chopping abilities of an axe? I mean, you know that fire may be a necessity (food, warmth, etc) but when would you really NEED 3 ft of leverage? And B&E does NOT count as a necessity. (see any wal-mart/looting posts)
I consider the crowbar more of an urban bug out tool. No trees to cut, but lots of crap that might get in the way and need prying if the buildings are damaged and the roads are blocked with rubble. Escape after a citywide bombing? Massive earthquake?. If you're heading for unaffected populated areas rather than traversing the wilds, you might never miss the chopping abilities of the axe. B&E can serve escape and rescue purposes as well.

Choosing 'the one weapon/tool' is very situational. If your bug out includes traveling through / staying in the woods, then an axe is a prime choice. In some other situations, a crowbar might be nice... :D

xxxero
Favorite Zombie Movies: i zombie, day otd '04, notld, braindead (dead alive),

Post by xxxero » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:21 pm

i agree with everyone who said machete.
quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 am

Paladin1 wrote:I'll take this. I don't know what it's called yet, I'm still making it. Paladin Blade? I'm planning on wrapping the handle with paracord, that could be unwound and used to lash it to a pole for serious spear/halberd type tool/weapon. Open to suggestions on improvements.

16" overall length, 10.5" blade, .23" thick 1085 heat treated steel. Still working on it so final weight TBA, probably 1.5lbs? Front edge is for cutting/chopping. Back edge is for sawing. End is beveled for digging/prying. Spike for puncturing, leading to a sharp hook. Holes are for pulling nails, twisting rope/wire. handle end for hammering.

[img][img]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj21 ... /Tool1.jpg[/img]][/img]]
That looks like a sawbacked scramisax Woodman's Pal.

I like it.

Stitches

Post by Stitches » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 am

thorian wrote:what about a TNT or "Denver Tool"

FIVE tools in one: an axe, sledge hammer, pry tool, ram, and D-Handle pull tool. No other large hand tool gives you the versatility as the TNT Tool to chop, pry, pull, strike, beat, and reach. The TNT Tool will open 95% of doors. The TNT Tool is completely made in the U.S.A. Cast with high carbon head treated steel and finished with a baked on powder paint coat and a solid fiberglass handle.

SHIT YEAH!
i would loooove that or a halligan tool. will buy one as soon as i can.
Move quickly in life
or you will trudge slowly to death.
MS8725 wrote:I will start to worry when I can't get my Kraft Deluxe fix. :D

CrimsonChaos

Post by CrimsonChaos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 am

Bear in mind the crowbar has lots of other uses as well, jamming doors, freeing loose debris, and makes a good weapon when the need arises.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:19 am

Stanley Fubar for me. (Sorry for the long link. I'd post the pic, but I'm at work and online photo storage is blocked)

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... tility+Bar[/url]

Coyotes Brother
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Coyotes Brother » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 am

BrassMonkey wrote:Stanley Fubar for me. (Sorry for the long link. I'd post the pic, but I'm at work and online photo storage is blocked)

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... tility+Bar[/url]
I tried one of those a few months back; wound up taking it back to the store the next day. Tried using it as a hammer and scratched the hell out of my forearm from the angled edges of the crowbar. It looks cool but I don't like a tool that demands blood as payment for its service. YMMV.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Ouch. Good point. Good to know before I bought one!

spacetyrant

Post by spacetyrant » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Chose short sword in the poll, but what I had in mind was this.

Busse AK47 (phone cord handle sold separately)

I think the reputation of the maker speaks for itself. There are YouTube videos of this thing chopping through a 2 x 6 lengthwise in a few seconds, none the worst for wear. Only problem would be cost -- they run $800+ in the secondary market.

SpaceTyrant

Return to “Other Weapons”