Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

js31337
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by js31337 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm

In a ZA scenario if you had to choose either weapon which would it be and why. My vote is for the Katana.

Image

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8821
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 pm

js31337 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm
In a ZA scenario if you had to choose either weapon which would it be and why. My vote is for the Katana.

Image
Kalashnikov FTW though...
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
Ellywick
* *
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 am
Location: Central MO

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by Ellywick » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:05 am

Okay, I hate to say this as I love katanas and would do a lot of things to own a really good one. They are sexy, excellent examples of elegant craftmanship That being said, if I am specifically looking for use during a real end of the world Z-poc scenario and I could only choose between those two weapons, I'm going to go kukri.

First, katanas really are finesse weapons and while lots of people on YouTube will twirl them around and slice through watermelons and milk jugs, it takes a decent amount of ability to actually use one in a fighting situation. Additionally, although the tips of katanas are sharp and can pierce, they are mostly slashing/slicing weapons. And, if you are mowing through hordes of the undead, really limbs and heads flying off is all that matters. Piercing a zombie through it's mid-section like in your comic will do nothing but get you closer to its bitey teeth and clawing hands unless you want to drop your weapon (and it isn't always easy to pull a knife out that is stuck into something).

Plus, to get one that was head-chopping sharp to begin with and keep it that way would be difficult during the end of the world. Less access to sharpening materials and time to do so. Finally, katanas are kind of uni-taskers. They are only meant to be used to hurt living things, and for the most part human living things.

In contrast, kukris are excellent tools as well as weapons. They are sturdy, easier to maneuver, and made specifically to chop off bits of anything that gets in its way. To be honest, if I happened to survive at all during a zombie apocalypse, I would probably try my hardest to avoid the roving herds of the undead. Avoidance of zombies equals less chance of becoming one yourself. Which means something I could use to chop through wood or brush is infinitely more useful.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7431
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:21 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:11 pm
js31337 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:55 pm
In a ZA scenario if you had to choose either weapon which would it be and why. My vote is for the Katana.

Image
Kalashnikov FTW though...
Yep. I like to have a good bit of distance between me and things that want to have me for lunch. An AK would go a long way in helping with that.

That said, I've got more experience with a kukri than I do with a katana. From what I've learned over the years, a katana takes years of hard work and lots of practice to wield properly.

If I didnt have my AK handy and I absolutely had to grab either one, I'm going with the kukri.

ETA: Edited because I guess I tripped the spam filter with my reference to a certain shoe company. :lol:
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 am

If I "HAD" to pick, I'd go katana because it's longer. That's it. Hopefully, my baseball seeing will easily translate to difficult katana skills.

But I'd prefer a blunt weapon. And if I had my pick of blade, it'd be a traditional machete.

But now I'm thinking kukri. I dunno...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by flybynight » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm kinda more intrigued by the all female zombie apocalypse cartoon.

In the event of an actual zombie event hand to hand combat should be avoided. Pandemic infection spread and all that. If a bite will cause infection, splashing blood can't be a good course of continued survival
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
bodyparts
* *
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: land of the dead
Location: sw , mo

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by bodyparts » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:53 pm

I have had both and found the kukri to be way more useful. so im going kukri. in fact i liked the kukri so much i made myself a machete size kukri. :D

yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2179
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by yossarian » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:16 pm

NOOBS!! Go lochaber or go home!
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

User avatar
The Twizzler
* * * * *
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Well I have no experience with either but if we are fighting the undead I will take a Kukri. The Katana is very cool but it seems to me you need a lot of hard earned skill to use.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by boskone » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Kukri.

Zombies don't use weapons, and it's more useful elsewhere than a katana.

User avatar
Ellywick
* *
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 am
Location: Central MO

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by Ellywick » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:24 am

yossarian wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:16 pm
NOOBS!! Go lochaber or go home!
Twizzler-style, we were only given two options, the Lochaber not being one of them. But, if we are debating polearms for the sake of being funny, I'll choose a ko-naginata. I think it would be much less heavy and look way cooler for me to twirl around before my complete and utter lack of training caused it to fly from my hands and I was devoured by the hordes of undead :D
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1667
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by emclean » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 am

Katana, wrapped in blue phone wire....

on second thought, the Kukri, cause it is very unlikely that you will get a quality katana, as most of them are built for looks not combat, its long think blade will damage easily. even with a cheap Kukri, you have a thick heavy blade, that is less prone to damage in use.

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by lailr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Kukri, even the cheap machete ones are viable, and actually have some tool use...




Not to mention, anyone ever tried to swing a Melee weapon in a hallway? The extra length would get in the way. If reach is what your after, get a polearm, spear, etc

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17059
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Anything but a katana ...not even a blue wire wrapped one.

viewtopic.php?t=117112

In all seriousness :roll: if in the very unlikely event I was in a Hollywood style ZPAW and had to have a melee weapon to deal with zombies I would prefer a 6 ft long 1/4 galvanized pipe that had one end sharpened by grinding it down. That and a quality modern made (or original) 1917 US Naval Cutlass...or quality kukri.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by flybynight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Anything but a katana ...not even a blue wire wrapped one.

viewtopic.php?t=117112

In all seriousness :roll: if in the very unlikely event I was in a Hollywood style ZPAW and had to have a melee weapon to deal with zombies I would prefer a 6 ft long 1/4 galvanized pipe that had one end sharpened by grinding it down. That and a quality modern made (or original) 1917 US Naval Cutlass...or quality kukri.
Gecko45 was the first name for zantra right?
F!
How about a quality reproduction U.S. 1917 bolo machete (knife)?

Image
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17059
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by raptor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:06 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 pm
raptor wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Anything but a katana ...not even a blue wire wrapped one.

viewtopic.php?t=117112

In all seriousness :roll: if in the very unlikely event I was in a Hollywood style ZPAW and had to have a melee weapon to deal with zombies I would prefer a 6 ft long 1/4 galvanized pipe that had one end sharpened by grinding it down. That and a quality modern made (or original) 1917 US Naval Cutlass...or quality kukri.
Gecko45 was the first name for zantra right?
F!
How about a quality reproduction U.S. 1917 bolo machete (knife)?

Image]
gundown/gecko45/zantra while they may or may not be the same person they had similar personalities.

BTW I like the bolo machete especially matched with a 6 foot long 1/4 pipe spear. The combo would be useful and accretive to a hollywood style CQB ZPAW conflict situation. :wink:

Lettuce Pray
*
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:54 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by Lettuce Pray » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm

The first rule of Zombie Land...cardio.
BTW, I vote Kukuri.

User avatar
Xavier Green
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:02 am

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by Xavier Green » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm

I have no experience with either but if we are fighting the undead I will take a Kukri.

User avatar
BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3207
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:10 am

Zero katana or edged martial arts experience, but based on maintenance alone, I opt for the kukri. It's shorter and heavier, but better utility, and less specialized movements.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

User avatar
darmstrong
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by darmstrong » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:54 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:10 am
Zero katana or edged martial arts experience, but based on maintenance alone, I opt for the kukri. It's shorter and heavier, but better utility, and less specialized movements.
Kukri for those same reasons. Plus the chance of cutting my thumb off is minimal.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

demonskull
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by demonskull » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 pm

I have both but the OP's question is 'Which is the better weapon ?". My vote is the katana. Don't get one from the mall or Ebay, you need to do your research and buy a reputable manufacturer. Katana provides better reach and correctly made ones whether, traditional or differentially heat treated mono-steels will flex. They aren't going to break easily and sharpening doesn't have to be any different than a decent knife.

JF89
* * *
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by JF89 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:12 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 am
If I "HAD" to pick, I'd go katana because it's longer. That's it. Hopefully, my baseball seeing will easily translate to difficult katana skills.

But I'd prefer a blunt weapon. And if I had my pick of blade, it'd be a traditional machete.

But now I'm thinking kukri. I dunno...
I train a little in HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts) and ive trained in escrima, honestly the kukri will probably have the reach advantage, it is one handed and you dobt have to grip it with both hands. The katana is a cool weapon but I would take a kukri, its also much more versatile.


I use to love the two-handed longsword but now of days im getting back into basket hilted back/broadswords and probably quarterstaff. In my opinion you at least need to do some practice cutting,Pell work and sparring(with weapon simulators) a bit before considering it a useable weapon. Really it would be a liability otherwise.

Anyhow , thats my 2 cents.

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by lailr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 am

JF89 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:12 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 am
If I "HAD" to pick, I'd go katana because it's longer. That's it. Hopefully, my baseball seeing will easily translate to difficult katana skills.

But I'd prefer a blunt weapon. And if I had my pick of blade, it'd be a traditional machete.

But now I'm thinking kukri. I dunno...
I train a little in HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts) and ive trained in escrima, honestly the kukri will probably have the reach advantage, it is one handed and you dobt have to grip it with both hands. The katana is a cool weapon but I would take a kukri, its also much more versatile.


I use to love the two-handed longsword but now of days im getting back into basket hilted back/broadswords and probably quarterstaff. In my opinion you at least need to do some practice cutting,Pell work and sparring(with weapon simulators) a bit before considering it a useable weapon. Really it would be a liability otherwise.

Anyhow , thats my 2 cents.
What's the cheapest basket hilt you can get into? Ala Scottish style, not a mortuary or anything like that? I looked at a Deepeka awhile back, but heard mostly bad reviews, although someone told me their QC has gotten better

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7431
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Which is the better weapon Kukri or Katana?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 pm

lailr wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 am
JF89 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:12 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 am
If I "HAD" to pick, I'd go katana because it's longer. That's it. Hopefully, my baseball seeing will easily translate to difficult katana skills.

But I'd prefer a blunt weapon. And if I had my pick of blade, it'd be a traditional machete.

But now I'm thinking kukri. I dunno...
I train a little in HEMA(Historical European Martial Arts) and ive trained in escrima, honestly the kukri will probably have the reach advantage, it is one handed and you dobt have to grip it with both hands. The katana is a cool weapon but I would take a kukri, its also much more versatile.


I use to love the two-handed longsword but now of days im getting back into basket hilted back/broadswords and probably quarterstaff. In my opinion you at least need to do some practice cutting,Pell work and sparring(with weapon simulators) a bit before considering it a useable weapon. Really it would be a liability otherwise.

Anyhow , thats my 2 cents.
What's the cheapest basket hilt you can get into? Ala Scottish style, not a mortuary or anything like that? I looked at a Deepeka awhile back, but heard mostly bad reviews, although someone told me their QC has gotten better
I've heard Windlass and Cold Steel make some decent basket hilt swords. The Cold Steel is probably the more expensive of the two, though.

I considered getting one of Cold Steel's Cossack sabers awhile back, but the price (around 350 to 400 bucks) threw me off. That and I sort of lost interest in swords during that time period.

Post Reply

Return to “Other Weapons”