Knives other than Mora with real full tang?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Knives other than Mora with real full tang?

Post by moab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm

I was perusing Lamnia and saw several Mora type knives from Finland etc. And was wondering if any of these similar styled knives were actually full tang? And not rat tails like the Mora? Anyone know of any? Thinking sub $15. Or even $20.

https://www.lamnia.com/en/sc/5/knives/f ... e&odir=asc
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Re: Knives other than Mora with real full tang?

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Turkey Creek has a few. You have to look for the ones that have the tang exposed.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Klenk's Duct Knife

I keep a few of these on hand in addition to my Moras.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:52 pm

I was thinking more of something made in Scandinavia. In a similar style to the Mora. Not something made out of questionable Chinese steel. They have a few on Lamnia at that link. But it doesn't say whether it's full tang or rats tail. It's in the full tang section. But so is Mora. And it's a rat tail.

I'll try to look up those other brands on Lamnia and see if I can find out anymore info.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:12 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:52 pm
I was thinking more of something made in Scandinavia. In a similar style to the Mora. Not something made out of questionable Chinese steel. They have a few on Lamnia at that link. But it doesn't say whether it's full tang or rats tail. It's in the full tang section. But so is Mora. And it's a rat tail.

I'll try to look up those other brands on Lamnia and see if I can find out anymore info.
All I can say about the Klenk's is that they have stood up to everything I've used them for (including gardening and cutting tree roots) and held an edge very well. They can be a little hard to resharpen by hand but a few passes on my belt sander with a fine-grit belt and they're ready to go again.

Edit: the steel is 440 stainless
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I emailed Hultafors about which of their knives are full tang and which are rat tail. It doesn't say on their site. BTW you have to buy in bulk from their site. But Lamnia carries pretty much the full line. Very very similar to Mora. And similar prices. I've never had a knife so sharp as a cheap Mora. Well my ESEE 5 keeps a nice edge. But if I had to operate on myself (kidding of course) or cut something that needed the utmost sharp blade. I'd use a Mora. That carbon steel from Sweden or Finland and that scandi grind is just amazing. I've got no other knives with that sharp of an edge. I just wish they weren't rat tails. I know they sell their full tang version. But dang. Isn't it like $50+? For that price I'd put it into a smaller ESEE 3 or something.

I've looked at those Klenks before. But the blade shape just looks more like that of a fighting knife than a bushcraft or bugging out knife. And they also look hard to sharpen. But ya, a belt sander will fix anything.

I've also got a long term lust relationship with the Husqvarna Forest Axe for 65 bucks! I always have an extra 65 bucks. But I always have something more important than an axe to buy. Once I get back to the PNW I'll have more of a need for one. But man those are slick. Made in Sweden heaven. (My father actually grew up in a place way up in the mountains of the PNW called Swede Heaven. No kidding. It was a small community of farms outside Darrington WA. We used to hunt there every hunting season. When we were poor my father would go shoot two deer. And then go back and take my grandmother up to the hardware store to buy another tag. So he could transport them both home. Sorry. Got off on a fond memory train there.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:21 pm

While I had it, I really liked this knife. Hope whoever found it has gotten good use out of it. It's full tang
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Canad ... 81RMSPJRD0

I really like my roach belly, But can't remember if it's a full tang and I'm Not going out to my truck to check right now. It's all wet and sparky with that hard cold white rain

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-20RBC ... KWJ4V7T1JV

Didn't Woods walker do a thread about a heavy full tang English glazing knife that could double as a hatchet by battoning.?

There's also this.
https://www.amazon.com/USA-MT-20-35BK-P ... way&sr=8-7

I have no experience with this knife but I do with the brand. Good working knives
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:29 pm

I found this full tang similar style from Condor in 1095 carbon.

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/46144/knive ... lade-black

Return to “Other Weapons”