ST-1 stabby thing self defense tool

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

ST-1 stabby thing self defense tool

Post by Storm Crow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 pm

On the mid-tech side of things, I came up with a self-defense tool that debuted at Blade Show this summer: the ST-1. They're waterjet cut from 1/4" 4140, ground and heat treated, with a Cerakote ceramic gun coating, with Boltaron sheaths.

Imagest102 by James Helm, on Flickr

Imagest105 by James Helm, on Flickr

Imagest104 by James Helm, on Flickr

There's no blade, but the tip is quite pointy and beveled.

Imagest106 by James Helm, on Flickr

A closer look at the tip prior to heat treatment and Cerakote.

Imagest110 by James Helm, on Flickr

More details in this video:

As Tobin demonstrates, they can even be quad-wielded. :D

Imagest111 by James Helm, on Flickr
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: ST-1 stabby thing self defense tool

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:40 am

Sadly, I think my home state of Virginia would classify that as a dirk, making it illegal for carry unless completely out in the open. :(
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:19 am

I agree, although in Alabama they are legal. I like it though. Does is it come in plastic? I see some push knives in plastic to get around basic metal detectors.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 am

Great for poking the brain.

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 pm

I might experiment at some point down the road to see how a G10 version would hold up, but they are designed with the idea of wearing them on a plate carrier or similar LBE as a backup. The handle on it gives a lot of stability, with the tradeoff of it being wider and a little less concealable. But on a vest, they should be slim enough to be mounted unobtrusively behind a pouch and not be obvious.

Local laws, as always, apply. That's why I donate a blade to Knife Rights for their Ultimate Steel fundraiser every year. They've done a lot for my native Texas, as well as many other states across the US. :mrgreen:
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Storm Crow wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 pm
I might experiment at some point down the road to see how a G10 version would hold up, but they are designed with the idea of wearing them on a plate carrier or similar LBE as a backup. The handle on it gives a lot of stability, with the tradeoff of it being wider and a little less concealable. But on a vest, they should be slim enough to be mounted unobtrusively behind a pouch and not be obvious.

Local laws, as always, apply. That's why I donate a blade to Knife Rights for their Ultimate Steel fundraiser every year. They've done a lot for my native Texas, as well as many other states across the US. :mrgreen:
I'm glad to hear about Knife Rights, and I'm very glad you work hard to support them.

Great pokers! Like you said, nice for a carrier.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:01 pm

The only weird knife law we have in Alabama is no concealing a bowie knife which is generally agreed to have an 11" blade.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:29 pm

Looking at VA laws, I'm not sure this would even be legal carried openly, due to this:
§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Other Weapons”