Most Effective School of Martial Arts

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Most Effective School of Martial Arts

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 am

I was wondering what opinions were on the most effective school of martial arts. By effective we will say something that can be employed without firearms to provide an adequate defense against an aggressor who is also not armed with firearms.

My personal belief is that Shoalin Kung Fu may be the best school out there. Unfortunately it is not practical to learn since you have to become a monk and train for decades. Also the proof of it is limited as they do not conduct matches for sport. They train extensively in armed combat which most other schools do not do, and several of those that do train in it do not do so effectively.

Thoughts and opinions?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

woodsghost

Re: Most Effective School of Martial Arts

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:31 am

I have 9 years of experience with Tai Kwon Do. I feel the most useful feature of that is I have 9 years of mostly free-form force on force training, which I think gave me a proper mentality. The focus on kicking was probably less than useful.

Using a few simple techniques from a medieval fighting treatis I have kicked the asses of Army and Marines with Combat and Non-Combat MOSs. However, when they outweigh me by 70 lbs and are fairly good athletes and quick learners, my ass-kicking only carries on so long. The trick in my experience is to be fluid in the mind and use methods they are not expecting. But mental fluidity seems to be the biggest asset, in my experience. Strength, weight, and tenacity are huge too.

I think it is most useful to learn a few basic techniques, and learn to apply them quickly and in many different situations. Force on force being the biggest assest.

For me, Greco Roman Wrestling, BJJ, and maybe Judo are where it's at. Wing Chun Kung Fu could be worth looking at (I like the Sticky Hands exercise).

I have heard from some that 3-6 months of Krav is useful, and then take the basic techniques and practice those consistently.

In my experience, the better athlete will be the winner, if comparing styles. Ground fighting seems to be the most useful set of techniques because most fights, in my experience, end up on the ground. Having a basic stable of well practiced techniques and a willingness to invent/apply new ones as opportunity arises in the melee seems to me to be a winning strategy. Having a proper mental attitude is essential. Having experience fighting opponents who are bigger and stronger is rather helpful.

Just my limited experiences.

[EDIT]

My memory says the original MMA, in the very beginning, they had very few rules and the people who dominated were people who used small joint locks to gain pain compliance. However, this made for bad TV, so they were excluded from future events. This would make a good candidate, IMO, for a useful Martial Art to learn.

I spent some time with a knife fighting trainer who taught stuff to Police entry teams. He is actually an employee of the State, so not just some yahoo who had a few students once. He is enamored with Fairbairn and Sykes, and the methods they taught. Despite his 20+ years in several impressive Martial Arts, he felt the stuff best used in a real fight is the simple stuff when under stress, and taught by F&S. This fits with my own experience, and looking over my copy of Kill Or Get Killed, I have to say I think it is a good starting place for armed and unarmed.

Just some more food for thought.

[Warning: Opinion Ahead]

I have never been a good martial artist. In any tournament, I would usually finish in the bottom 30%-50%. I got my ass kicked a lot. But it forced me to get better or the ask kickings would get worse. Actually, they did get worse. But I got tougher and better as a result. Over a 9 year period. At the end of that period I was quite successful against untrained and marginally trained people who otherwise were physically superior opponents. I"m not impressed with early levels of Military training. I think that training is more about building confidence than actual skills/capability. I have heard of some Police training academies which provide a solid grounding in unarmed fighting. But I think any actual force on force, with full power contact, will provide a good environment to develop the mental and physical skill set to prevail against lesser trained opponents even with a physical disparity.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:45 am

+1 with the majority of Woods post. A few personal observations:

1. Train as you will fight because you will fight as you have trained. If you have not trained, I don't recommend fighting. Run. Run right then & there.

2. Most of the fights I was in, or saw, started & ended quickly. Usually (not always) the person who landed the first blow, stood a better chance of winning the fight.

3. Physical condition. A: Endurance & stamina. B: Agility & Dexterity. C: Physical strength.

4. A good friend of mine who had either a 2nd or 3rd degree BB in TKD told me point blank one day, "if you want to learn how to use your hands, learn how to box". I will 2nd Woods comments on ground fighting. Ending up on the ground as a bad place to be. At some point it will happen & you had better know what to do.

5. As far as styles go, I have no idea. It seems to me that a person's skill & experience would be more important than the school or style or whatever it is.

6. Situational awareness has always served me well. An SW at the VA labelled me Chronically Homeless. In that period I only had to fight once. I saw many more. It came down to numbers, someone not recognizing danger or 'they had to represent', and what passes these days for the 'sucker punch'. I'm unable to put my observations of the criminal element into words, simply because I don't how to describe it.

7. There is a YouTube called Active Self Protection. It's an assessment of actual self-defense encounters. Surveillance videos and such. It's on in a blink of an eye & over just as quickly.

Remember this: The attacker has made a decision. They will have the element of surprise. They know what is going to happen & they know what they are going to do. Make a decision *now* to act in a nanosecond. Weather you run or fight, what gives you the better chance for survival?

When I have been able to recognize danger & leave, it has served better & more often than my CCW has.

Good Luck.

ETA: Failure to spellcheck.
Last edited by MPMalloy on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm

I am going to agree that Krav is right up there near the top.
My memory says the original MMA, in the very beginning, they had very few rules and the people who dominated were people who used small joint locks to gain pain compliance.
From what I recall BJJ dominated the early years and GRW was not even officially recognized. Wrestlers would sneak in anyway and within a few years the wrestlers were winning every match. Then there was a gradual transition to a combination of mostly Greco Roman Wrestling, BJJ, Judo and boxing. An MMA fighter these days has to be very well rounded and able to take a lot of punishment with a good ground game and be able to engage on his feet. Being weak in one area will get him exploited.

MMA is great but there are some issues such as the idea that the fighter takes some awkward risks to win the fight and is not concerned about lethality because the rules will save him and prevent him from mounting more devastating attacks or being victimized by them. Also no weapons or improvised weapons unlike in Krav where everything is an opportunity.
Using a few simple techniques from a medieval fighting treatis I have kicked the asses of Army and Marines with Combat and Non-Combat MOSs.
The military does not train much on unarmed fighting. It is better than it used to be but well short of useful. Most of the focus seems to be wrestling the adversary in to a headlock and choking them out. This is a good strategy when dealing with an untrained fighter but will not be successful when dealing with someone with years of training.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:39 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm
I am going to agree that Krav is right up there near the top.
My memory says the original MMA, in the very beginning, they had very few rules and the people who dominated were people who used small joint locks to gain pain compliance.
From what I recall BJJ dominated the early years and GRW was not even officially recognized. Wrestlers would sneak in anyway and within a few years the wrestlers were winning every match. Then there was a gradual transition to a combination of mostly Greco Roman Wrestling, BJJ, Judo and boxing. An MMA fighter these days has to be very well rounded and able to take a lot of punishment with a good ground game and be able to engage on his feet. Being weak in one area will get him exploited.

MMA is great but there are some issues such as the idea that the fighter takes some awkward risks to win the fight and is not concerned about lethality because the rules will save him and prevent him from mounting more devastating attacks or being victimized by them. Also no weapons or improvised weapons unlike in Krav where everything is an opportunity.
Using a few simple techniques from a medieval fighting treatis I have kicked the asses of Army and Marines with Combat and Non-Combat MOSs.
The military does not train much on unarmed fighting. It is better than it used to be but well short of useful. Most of the focus seems to be wrestling the adversary in to a headlock and choking them out. This is a good strategy when dealing with an untrained fighter but will not be successful when dealing with someone with years of training.
I'm a huge MMA fan. I agree with your right on analysis of how MMA evolved over the last 25 years. I think PRIDE might have been the best promotion in terms of getting as realistic as one can get in a ring or octagon. Knees to grounded opponents, soccer kicks, were allowed. But elbows not. I think it would change the game a lot today if they gave fighters knees to a grounded opponent. And they need to get rid of the ridiculous three point stance rule. Or whatever it's called where you can put a hand on the ground from a bent over position. And the rules say you can't be knee'd or kicked to the head. I thought that went out with the new unified rules. But I may be remembering that wrong.

In answer to your original question, I don't think you can choose just one. You've got to have a stand up skill, a bottom game and the ability to transition someone to the ground when you need too. Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling? You pick your combo. It's got to be at least two. Personally I would love to take a Muay Thai class. I don't think my back could take BJJ at the moment. They didn't teach you so much how to fight back when I was in the military. More like how to kill people with known objects. Like an e-tool or a helmet or a firearm (like bayo training). I vividly remember being trained on the benefits of sharpening your e-tool. LOL. It was insightful. But without a tool there was not much training going on except pugil sticks. And that's to replicate bayo fighting.

Anyone else watching the fights tonight?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 am

I was watching college ball and then the series. Only so much time in the day for TV watching.

TBH, I prefer watching boxing over MMA. The boxing rules are pretty static and easier to follow. The strategy and action is easier to track as well. Of course I grew up when boxing was big with Ali, Holmes, Tex Cobb, Foreman and Frazier etc. In the modern era I was a huge Klitchko's fan. IMO, Wladimir in his prime was one of the greatest boxers of all time but they were both great.

Right now heavy weight boxing is mess of course but I think they will get it back on track by January.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 am
I was watching college ball and then the series. Only so much time in the day for TV watching.

TBH, I prefer watching boxing over MMA. The boxing rules are pretty static and easier to follow. The strategy and action is easier to track as well. Of course I grew up when boxing was big with Ali, Holmes, Tex Cobb, Foreman and Frazier etc. In the modern era I was a huge Klitchko's fan. IMO, Wladimir in his prime was one of the greatest boxers of all time but they were both great.

Right now heavy weight boxing is mess of course but I think they will get it back on track by January.
"I grew up when boxing was big with Ali, Holmes, Tex Cobb, Foreman and Frazier etc."

SO did I. I grew up boxing. I boxed in smokers. At school. My grandfather was PAcific Northwest welterweight champion way back in the day. He taught me how to hit a speed bag and a heavy bag. My father was a wrestling coach. And taught me wrestling. I got in many street fights as a kid. Which is probably why my father was happy to sign for me to join the Marine Corps when I was 16. I went in on delayed enlistment when I was 17. I boxed some in the military. And always had my speed bag with me. In Okinawa they had a great boxing gym. With an incredible old cast iron and wood speed bag rack. Maybe that's why when MMA came along I was hooked. I'd seen more than one discipline. Practiced more than one.

But I remember listening to an Ali fight on my families huge Sears transistor radio. That changed me. It was a formative moment in my upbringing. WE rarely had TV. But later on I never missed a Tyson fight. But fight fixing made me fall out of love with boxing. And the fact that it's not truly a fight. Like in an open combat sort of way.

I have no problem keeping up with the rules of MMA. And is so far advanced from any other one discipline. It's purity of honesty attracts me. It's the closest to a real fight you can get. And even though the modern era seems to favor the stand up guy in popularity. The ground guys are still going strong. Khabib Nurmagomedov comes to mind. A Dagestani fighter that has never lost in 28 fights. Never lost a round. Is the UFC's welterweight champion. And now they are bringing over Ben Askren who is a similar US wrestler who has rarely if ever lost. If they can make that fight happen it could be one of the most important modern fights of our time.

But my son really got me into it. When he was like 5 we started watching the UFC together. And he was hooked. So I've never missed a single UFC event. And follow many other MMA organizations.

I just remember getting into fights. And wondering why one guy would be great on the stand up but terrible on the ground. Or visa versa. I was good on both. SO I always had an advantage. But this is back in the 70's. When a street fight was very different from today. lol. You didn't see any submissions. And you rarely saw a round house kick. More like boxing and ground and pound combined. Was about as sophisticated as it got.

To watch MMA truly evolve over the years. Has taught me that it's the most advanced combat techniques out there. As it continues to evolve and grow year after year. Unlike to many other disciplines that held onto tradition to long. That once might have been an effective style. But had not evolved in hundreds of years. You see these young guys coming up that have trained MMA since like 8 or 9. In all the disciplines. And they bring even more to the table. Guys from just 10 years ago that were killers couldn't hang with most of the modern era guys. The training and technique has just evolved past them. It's fascinating to watch. And was especially fascinating in the beginning. Because it truly tested which disciplines worked and which didn't. Watch the first 10 UFC's. And you'll see tiny little BJJ guys choking out huge Sambo and KArate guys. The fancy styles that everyone bragged about in school or in movies or on TV. Came crashing down. And the true fight techniques that really worked came to the top. That was a truly fascinating era of combat sports.

MMA certainly is the most evolving discipline and the one I would concentrate on. Short of those that use weapons like Krav. If you could somehow include rudimentary fake weapons to an MMA match you might have something. AFterall a "real" fight like to the death is very different from a sport. Those MMA camps that teach combat to soldiers. Probably have some of the best systems out there. Combining both MMA and real killing techniques vs just getting someone knocked out or to tap. I think you can take those classes right along with LE and military. And there are many top level camps that teach them. As there's good money in that.

I think if you trained Krav and MMA you'd have a great base. Not taking away from all the other great disciplines that still show up in modern MMA. Karate. Tae Kwon Do. Sambo. They all have vital parts. That continue to contribute to MMA. Even boxing.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

dallas

Post by dallas » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:45 pm

There is no best martial arts. Each person should modify the style to fit their strengths and weaknesses. I have been a martial artist for over 30 years. I have studied Taekwondo. Gracie Jujitsu, Modern Arnis, Aikido, Muay and Iaido. I guess the closest style would be Jeet Kundo.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:52 am

There is always a certain prejudice for overestimating what we know. People will reccomend what they have or what they know - it's human nature.
I have studied judo, savate, tkd, krav and akido - studied but not mastered. I started training in martial arts after I had to give up boxing (a dozen pins and screws in your hand and wrist tends to negatively affect your jab).
I have been fortunate to see masters in many disciplines work - and any one of them could lay me out in a heartbeat. The biggest difference in each of the disciplines i have studied is the time from novice to practical application.
Krav Maga and Savate were both created for combat- designed to be effective for personal defense with a minimal amount of instruction. Each can continue training for more proficiency and advanced skills - but the bare bones basics are grunt proof difficulty and get away alive effective.
Tai Kwon Do is beautiful and flowing, judo is sneaky and slick, akido is flat out dangerous - and they take years to be proficient.
If you want to learn an art form, go with one of the classical styles and be awesome.
If you want to get off the X intact, with confidence - go with a combat designed school.
My daughters are learning Krav, because someday they will have boyfriends and having been a boy once upon a time- I worry.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:41 am

My Rex Kwon Do training has given me the skills and confidence I need to prevail in fights against children and old ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_W4Gi5h9P8

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:41 am
My Rex Kwon Do training has given me the skills and confidence I need to prevail in fights against children and old ladies.

“Like”
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm

THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS

AMIRITE
:awesome:

Another way I think about this is what martial art would I start my kid on:

BJJ would probably be what I pick.
Man is a beast of prey

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am
absinthe beginner wrote:

“Like”
That ain't nothing. I've spent the last thirty years practicing and mastering the art of high pitched shrieking. This coupled with a religious adherence to de-escalation and confrontation avoidance via the rarely leaving the house method, has made me near invincible to anything short of gigantic fire breathing lizards and indoor bee infestations. .
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am
absinthe beginner wrote:

“Like”
That ain't nothing. I've spent the last thirty years practicing and mastering the art of high pitched shrieking. This coupled with a religious adherence to de-escalation and confrontation avoidance via the rarely leaving the house method, has made me near invincible to anything short of gigantic fire breathing lizards and indoor bee infestations. .
:rofl: :clap:

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm

MMA or its equivalent gives you the most options to train live and at real speed the sorts of things you will encounter in a fight.

So even say if you just did boxing. MMA would let you asses that against someone who is also kicking and grabbing you.

That way you will have some sort of exposure to what you are going up against.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Flybynight said: That ain't nothing. I've spent the last thirty years practicing and mastering the art of high pitched shrieking.
I bet you trained under this Japanese master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_75eE3DV0s

When faced with extreme physical danger, my piercing girlish squeal, followed by an involuntary bowel movement, will shock most foes into paralysis, enabling me to make good my getaway.

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am

I'm going to be lazy and copy/paste my generalized "Picking a martial art spiel"

This is, of course, subject to geographical limitations-you need to train somewhere that you can reasonably go to, though for weekend seminars you can go a bit farther afield. But a seminar only does you any good if you have a good baseline skillset anyway; actual martial arts proficiency requires frequent practice as those skills are perishable.
First off, always see if they will let you take a couple of trial classes before you pay them anything. You will find that not all dojos, even in the same style/organization, train the same and so it is nearly impossible to generalize them. Also you might find that some are physically too intense or not intense enough for you to actually keep training there. If nothing else, see if you can just sit in on a class and watch what goes on.

Also, a big +1 on skepticism for bullshit claims. Ask to see credentials often. While there are some great non affiliated instructors in some styles (and a certification doesn't mean instant badass), someone who is affiliated with a national or international organization has at least been screened some for obvious fraud.

Also, any school of martial arts that doesn't train against resistance is setting you up for fail. Those 10,000 year old techniques may work, or they may not-but you have only the instructors good word that they work under pressure against a resisting opponent. Just like I would never trust a firearm that I wasn't sure was reliable, I would never train in a martial art that doesn't allow any testing of their techniques.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 am
My personal belief is that Shoalin Kung Fu may be the best school out there. Unfortunately it is not practical to learn since you have to become a monk and train for decades. Also the proof of it is limited as they do not conduct matches for sport. They train extensively in armed combat which most other schools do not do, and several of those that do train in it do not do so effectively.
Don't feel bad about not getting to do Shoalin. There is no real Shoalin anymore. The Chinese government basically destroyed the order and took it over as a cultural heritage. The "monks" there don't even study Buddhism anymore. It is all a tourist trap and claim to fame for the Chinese government now.

The closest you can come to true Shoalin is Tai Chi, but it is really hard to find an instructor who teaches the full range of Tai Chi and not just the exercise/meditation side. Not only will a true instructor teach the martial side but should also instruct on acupressure and acupuncture. These healing techniques are a part of the martial art, for healing but also to know the pressure points for combat.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am

So as an assistant instructor I thought I would add my two cents. I train in Emperado method Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo is a combined art of Hawaiian kempo,judo,jujitsu, kung Fu , tang soo do, and boxing. At my school we add muay thai and silate as well. We are the type of school were fighting dirty is encouraged. The most important part is the method of training. No technique can be added unless it can be done under full contact going 100%. It then has to be repeatable with different attackers. While I am biased towards my style I would suggest you find a school that has full contact training. Yes, it does hurt, but I know what works for me and what doesn't. I also know what my limitations are.

As was said before no one style is best. I train with three separate instructors when I can. It is process that takes patience and time. I would also suggest to just start trying styles out. There are plenty of good styles, with good instructors. I trained in multiple different ones before I found the one for me.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Probably what's most important is to read some of those books out there on the psychological aspects of it all, the pre fight indicators, fear, adrenaline etc... There's been a revolution in the field since maybe the 90's at least (I found a book by a UK bouncer Geoff Thompson that talks about this stuff then, and there's all those more recent Seargent Rory Miller books etc...).

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the thinking has permeated down to the actual training. Unless your master/instructor has read/studied such works, you're just training for duelling.

The most effective thing being to not be there if possible etc...

But if there is no way out, I've come round to thinking, that the most effective school of martial arts is what the typical mugger/attacker does- in close, engaging the person's brain with a question that doesn't have a yes/no answer, and then a strike to the jaw with a closed or open hand (your choice).
So keeping the attacker unaware that they're about to be attacked. And probably not too many finishing moves, just running.
If you think about it, it works all the time for the attackers. Once they have that first strike in on an unaware person it's usually all over.
Additional benefit of keeping it simple.

I liked this video from Funker Tactical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ag8qT78A4

Another one about blocking is useless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j_lCc-BM8A

This one about knife defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLwcjQNwZI

I've seen some good stuff based on Keysi (remember wash on/wash off is useless).

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Unless I quit my job that won't be possible. I guess I mix it up about once every 2-3 months these days. At my size most smaller guys don't want to fight and larger guys are likely worried I'd step it up a level or two. So far I am about 18-0 but I tend to cheat and never fight fair. Also I am always sober and they are nearly always impaired by something. Running away is seldom a good option.

I am too old to start training with anything new and by the time I would get good at it, likely would not need it anymore. I like to keep up with current stuff though.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Red Tamarillo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm
That is what my Tai Chi instructor used to say pretty much. He was very big on teaching how to avoid a fight, to not get into one by not being in the place to need to fight. As some would say, good operational awareness can keep you out of serious trouble since 99% of conflict is pretty predictable to see coming before hand.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 pm

I have practiced Kempo for about 17 years. I like it because it's a very "stand-up' style.
It does include "ground work" but unless you incorporate "shoot fighting" (which is also taught at my school) most the techniques are focused on getting the opponent off you and getting back up.
There are also several techniques and practices that expose you to multiple opponents.
Kempo is certainly "combat based" the origins were Japanese samurai hand to hand fighting methods.

The Krav maga has a good reputation for being simple to teach and emphasizing uncomplicated moves.

Nice topic, thanks.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 am

drop bear wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 pm
MMA or its equivalent gives you the most options to train live and at real speed the sorts of things you will encounter in a fight.

So even say if you just did boxing. MMA would let you asses that against someone who is also kicking and grabbing you.

That way you will have some sort of exposure to what you are going up against.
To add to this MMA or any combat sport will expose you to tough guys. Which is an element that fundementally changes what works and what doesn't tactics wise.

Martial arts has this idea that technical overcomes. But it is not always really the case. And I think people need exposure to people resisting you with a real win or die mentality.

Return to “Other Weapons”