Where is the weakest place in the scull - face forward?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Laevatein
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Where is the weakest place in the scull - face forward?

Post by Laevatein » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:04 pm

The eye.

Agreed

Unless you have a high powered firearm, a 22 can
easily penetrate the and the thin bone behind it; right
into the brain. In all the zombie films, you never see
them go for the eye.
'oderint dum metuant'

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Where is the weakest place in the scull - face forward?

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:57 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:00 pm

Just to the right and left of the eye orbits, the temples, are also pretty vulnerable, and easily attacked from the side while facing the skull face forward. Eye sockets, while vulnerable, are also set deep.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

chrispy

Post by chrispy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:57 am

The temple

radicalreverie

Post by radicalreverie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:47 pm

I look at this question in two different ways. The first being, what is the weakest point in the actual structure of the skull, bone only, and the second being what is the weakest point in the face as a whole, not just in bone but everything that comes with it.

When I think of what would be weak in the front of the skull structure I immediately assumed the nose and around the eye sockets but because I wasn’t sure I decided to do some research and apparently other people were wondering the same thing! According to one strength analysis that I read, the weakest part of the skull in the facial section is the front mandible and the nasal bone, but there are more. For fun, I looked at what the weakest part was among the cranial bones (parts that are not the facial section) and it said the parietal bone (the top sides that wrap around the back of the head).

When it came to what would be weak in the front as a whole, not just the bone, I thought of a few things: the eyes, the mouth, and under the chin. If you want to go a little around the sides then the temples and jaw joints. If you hit any of those areas hard enough then that person is stunned or down for the count.

Going under the chin, through the mouth or nose, or through the eye with an edged weapon would be devastating. Even if it didn’t kill the person, I can’t see them shrugging it off. Hitting someone with a strong, blunt weapon in the face would probably stop most assaults, at least when it comes to regular people.

Anyway, I found this topic really interesting and just wanted to share some thoughts. Feel free to add or critique!
Let your dreams be bigger than your fears and your actions be louder than your words.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon May 02, 2016 11:30 pm

The base of the skull is the weakest part of the skull, otherwise known as the occipital bone. I learned this in my physical anthropology class, as this was how cannibals would access the brains of a skull, by slicing off the occipital bone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occipital_bone

To access this bone from the frontal aspect of a standing person, or zombie, perhaps a long sharp piercing implement thrust in an uppercut blow underneath the chin and through the neck would suffice. Or perhaps a hook bladed hand axe like a brush axe swung horizontally and pulled in to catch the skull from behind would work.

And this thread should probably be moved to the Zombie Combat Tactics section of the forum.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Return to “Other Weapons”