Weapons-UK (Archery & Knives)

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Weapons-UK (Archery & Knives)

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:40 am

Being from the UK you all know that firearms are restrictive.

I have 2 air rifles but they would just be for hunting small game as they're not powerful enough for humans. It might give them a sting and frighten them away but that would be all.

However I have been into archery for a few years so have the following:

Bear Grizzly recurve bow.
Matthews compound bow.
Crossbow
Pistol Crossbow.

I'm not brilliant by any means but I'd be quite confident in using my bows in a fairly close up scenario. I appreciate that the reload time is the problem and that's why I'd use my recurve over the others.

I've been practising quick firing with the bow and can fire off three arrows quite accurately in 15 seconds within 15 yards. I'm trying to bring the time down and increase the distance.

Also I have a good knife collection including machetes and large knifes so I feel pretty prepared and safe :)

feanor

Re: Weapons-UK (Archery & Knives)

Post by feanor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:05 am

With that archery practice I'd put in a few hours on edged combat. When I say a few I mean a few hundred. Maybe that will give enough insight to rethink using the word safe so frivolously.

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:28 am

feanor wrote:With that archery practice I'd put in a few hours on edged combat. When I say a few I mean a few hundred. Maybe that will give enough insight to rethink using the word safe so frivolously.
Ok, maybe I should have said it would give me a safe(ish) piece of mind.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:02 am

Zombie_Hunter_UK wrote:Being from the UK you all know that firearms are restrictive.

I have 2 air rifles but they would just be for hunting small game as they're not powerful enough for humans. It might give them a sting and frighten them away but that would be all.

However I have been into archery for a few years so have the following:

Bear Grizzly recurve bow.
Matthews compound bow.
Crossbow
Pistol Crossbow.

I'm not brilliant by any means but I'd be quite confident in using my bows in a fairly close up scenario. I appreciate that the reload time is the problem and that's why I'd use my recurve over the others.
Sounds like a well thought out plan given the restrictions you're operating under. Archery and air guns actually come up fairly regularly here at ZS. "Survival" is used quite broadly in these forums, so don't discount your air rifles because they'd only be used for small hunting. Putting food on the table in an extended civil breakdown is certainly an (the more likely, in fact) element in survival.

The forum search function is a little unreliable, but Googling "Zombie Squad [search string]" will help you locate them. Here's the currently active air gun thread. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=114460 Would love to hear more about your two air guns.

I know across the pond air guns are taken very seriously and there are some spectacularly beautiful and capable air powered weapons that we rarely see in the States.

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks for the reply and to the air rifle link. I'll have a read through at some point.

My first and primary air rifle would be my Hammerli Air Magnum 850. http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/umare ... magnum_850

I really like this gun, it's light and accurate. It's main drawback though is the fact that it uses 88g co2 cartridges. In a long term SHTF scenario these would soon run out. Also it is not as powerful as other air rifles because of this. If I did run out of the 88g cartridges I'd turn to my other air rifle which is this:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ ... ey-vulcan/ (It's very similar to the first rifle down on the page)

This air rifle is about 30 years old. I keep meaning to get the barrel shorted a little and add a silencer. This is a classic and I love it although it's a touch heavy. The main advantage of this over my Hammerli is the is the fact that it is spring loaded, therefore it will never run out of air to run it.

One day I'd love a powerful PCP but need to save up a bit first.

feanor

Post by feanor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

Zombie_Hunter_UK wrote: Ok, maybe I should have said it would give me a safe(ish) piece of mind.
That is enough to satisfy my hair cleaving mind, yes. Thank you.

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:54 am

feanor wrote:
Zombie_Hunter_UK wrote: Ok, maybe I should have said it would give me a safe(ish) piece of mind.
That is enough to satisfy my hair cleaving mind, yes. Thank you.
I'm pleased about that :D

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:05 pm

3 arrows in 15 seconds....

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk[/YouTube]
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEG-ly9tQGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk[/YouTube]
[YouTube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEG-ly9tQGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YouTube]

....................... OK, how the fuck do you embed youtube clips when none of the available(address bar, youtube provided share link and you tubes embed text with or without the forum [YouTube] youtube][/YouTube] "embed" functions work?
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:00 pm

MasterMaker wrote:3 arrows in 15 seconds....

....................... OK, how the fuck do you embed youtube clips when none of the available(address bar, youtube provided share link and you tubes embed text with or without the forum [YouTube] youtube][/YouTube] "embed" functions work?
Take the 's' out of the "http" when you use the YouTube tags, MasterMaker.

I fixed the links for you, by the way.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Just a suggestion, don't take Lars too seriously. He is a trick archer with a lot of bogus claims. There are a lot of archers you can learn from who are not all gimmicks and false claims.

I also wouldn't overly stress on speed shooting like Lars. His technique is for low power bows using a pinch draw and only half or even quarter drawing these low power bows. If your using a hunting weight bow with Mediterranean or Mongolian draw (which you would need for heavier draw weight) you will never be able to repeat his speeds.

You can get some decent speed with a full draw and proper string grip, and unlike Lars actually have your arrow penetrate.

A few other weapon options you might want to explore in the UK,

a sling shot
sling (both hand and staff style)
staff
spear/pole arms
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:29 am

don't get too hung up about speed shooting with bows, its accuracy that will count in the long run.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:48 pm

From what I understand it is pretty easy to get your shotgun certificate in the UK. Basically a matter of filling out the paperwork correctly. Have you tried looking in to that?

In an emergency a properly loaded 12 ga shotgun will take any game available in the UK and makes darn good medicine for human predators if you are unlucky enough to run into such.

Edit: Here are the steps. There is a fee of 80 pounds and you will need a cabinet for storage.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/st ... ence-32358

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Aikibiker wrote:From what I understand it is pretty easy to get your shotgun certificate in the UK. Basically a matter of filling out the paperwork correctly. Have you tried looking in to that?

In an emergency a properly loaded 12 ga shotgun will take any game available in the UK and makes darn good medicine for human predators if you are unlucky enough to run into such.

Edit: Here are the steps. There is a fee of 80 pounds and you will need a cabinet for storage.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/st ... ence-32358
Seconded, even though you can only get a double barrel on a SGC a side by side coach gun would be far better than a bow for most things.

In a old GunDigest(1978) there is an article titled "the poor mans double" which is about adding rifle sights to a side by side shotgun and turning it into a usable short range slug gun/"double rifle", with the right slugs you would get at least minute of bad guy out to 50 meters and possibly further....
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:37 am

getting a FAC<firearms certificate<in the UK is far from easy, if you live on a farm you can have a shotgun but even then you have to have a reason, just wanting one is not enough.
then you have to have a secure place to store the gun, usually this means an approved gun cabinet securely fitted to the wall, before any FAC is granted this has to be inspected by the Police.
2 points arise from this, one I don't want Police in my house and two this puts any gun owner on a firearms list which could be used in the future against them.
most preppers in the UK don't have a FAC.
in Devon and Cornwall(my part of the UK) there are 10,800 guns, including shotguns, in a population of 1.65million.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:14 am

There is a difference between the Firearms Certificate and the Shotgun Certificate. I can understand not wanting to be on any government lists though.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:18 am

Aikibiker wrote:There is a difference between the Firearms Certificate and the Shotgun Certificate. I can understand not wanting to be on any government lists though.
we still have to have the same gun cabinet and the same Police household inspection.

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 am

MasterMaker wrote:3 arrows in 15 seconds....

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk[/YouTube]
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEG-ly9tQGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk[/YouTube]
[YouTube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BEG-ly9tQGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YouTube]

Yeh, I saw this video a while ago. While I'm in no way doubting his skill, it is trick archery and there is no way you can do this with a normal traditional bow and arrow.

Anyway I'm nearly down to 3 arrows in 10 seconds :clap: :)

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:48 am

I have looked into getting a shotgun licence as well but as grumpyviking mentioned it is not easy or straight forward. I'm pretty sure I could get one if I wanted, I know a few farmers who could say that I shoot on their land. However it's a time consuming practice, shotguns are expensive and it would have to be securely lock away in a proper cabinet. I don't object to that but again the cabinets are quite expensive.

And when I think about it, would I actually use it in a SHTF scenario? If a few people were trying to get through my front door to me and my family, absolutely yes, without a doubt. But the chances of something like that happening in my lifetime are hopefully very slim and feel quite happy with my other protection if needed.

I wouldn't be using a shotgun for hunting as they'd be too loud, it would draw attention and would also let other people around know that I had a decent weapon. So in a nutshell, no I don't think I'd apply for a shotgun licence.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:34 am

Zombie_Hunter_UK wrote:I have looked into getting a shotgun licence as well but as grumpyviking mentioned it is not easy or straight forward. I'm pretty sure I could get one if I wanted, I know a few farmers who could say that I shoot on their land. However it's a time consuming practice, shotguns are expensive and it would have to be securely lock away in a proper cabinet. I don't object to that but again the cabinets are quite expensive.

And when I think about it, would I actually use it in a SHTF scenario? If a few people were trying to get through my front door to me and my family, absolutely yes, without a doubt. But the chances of something like that happening in my lifetime are hopefully very slim and feel quite happy with my other protection if needed.

I wouldn't be using a shotgun for hunting as they'd be too loud, it would draw attention and would also let other people around know that I had a decent weapon. So in a nutshell, no I don't think I'd apply for a shotgun licence.
This is why most preppers and survivalists in the UK don't go the shotgun or firearms route.
a gunshot will give away your location and position, I can hear gunshots in the woods here from a mile or more away and that's in normal times with all the normal background noise, post SHTF when its all quiet noise will be heard for much further(same goes for lights and smoke).

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:05 pm

grumpyviking wrote:This is why most preppers and survivalists in the UK don't go the shotgun or firearms route.
a gunshot will give away your location and position, I can hear gunshots in the woods here from a mile or more away and that's in normal times with all the normal background noise, post SHTF when its all quiet noise will be heard for much further(same goes for lights and smoke).
Yep, even though I am in the US and have firearms I am a big advocate for archery and other more stealth weapons for preppers. The noise from firearms is just too attention getting.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Zombie_Hunter_UK wrote:But the chances of something like that happening in my lifetime are hopefully very slim and feel quite happy with my other protection if needed.
Isn't this sentence in direct contradiction with the very reasoning behind prepping, the fact that "hopefully" and "I don't think that would happen" doesn't necessarily fit with what actually does happen and keep happening to people that didn't expect it and weren't prepared for it...

(not to downplay the usefulness of archery in a PAW as I took it up more than half a lifetime ago, I got started with it at 15 and bought my first bow before I turned 16)
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:34 am

"Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best" .

Zombie_Hunter_UK

Post by Zombie_Hunter_UK » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 am

MasterMaker wrote:
Zombie_Hunter_UK wrote:But the chances of something like that happening in my lifetime are hopefully very slim and feel quite happy with my other protection if needed.
Isn't this sentence in direct contradiction with the very reasoning behind prepping, the fact that "hopefully" and "I don't think that would happen" doesn't necessarily fit with what actually does happen and keep happening to people that didn't expect it and weren't prepared for it...

(not to downplay the usefulness of archery in a PAW as I took it up more than half a lifetime ago, I got started with it at 15 and bought my first bow before I turned 16)

I don't know about anyone else but when I'm working out my prepping plans and especially when looking at stuff to buy I think about a cost/likelihood of the event happening ratio. Unfortunately, probably like most people here, most of my money will go on my mortgage, house bills, food and my children, leaving not much spending for toys afterwards.

I really do think that the chances of a big global SHTF scenario are small but I think the chances of a smaller, short term scenario happening is greater. For example a countrywide blackout for a couple of weeks is quite possible and that is more what I am aiming to prep against. However the more stuff that keeps happening in the world the more I think that something bigger could possibly could happen.

What I'm trying to say is that in an ideal world with lots of spare cash I would go out and go down the firearms and shotgun route and keep them locked away just in case anything big happens. But while I don't have tons of cash to throw around I will put my money towards preparing for an event that I feel has a greater chance of happening.

Hope that all makes sense.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 am

with all that is happening in the world these days, and in the aftermath of the Paris attacks, I don't think any of us can afford to be complaisant, I rule nothing out and I prepare for all and any event( whether others think it is possible or not). its a dangerous world and its getting worse by the day.
as far as power cuts go, the likely time when demand outstrips supply this winter in the UK is reported to be around 11-16 January 2016.

Return to “Other Weapons”