Looking for a knife for the Missus.

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SuperBanki
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, campiness at it's best.

Looking for a knife for the Missus.

Post by SuperBanki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 pm

I got jumped outside of our home with the kids the other week here in Wilmington, DE, and the Missus doesn't feel safe walking around outside with our kids (2 yr old, 3 mnth old) without *something*. Financially, neither of us can afford a firearm at the moment, and she would like a knife.

While I have plenty, she wants one of her own. So I've been searching for an inexpensive ($20-30$) full tang, slim (something she can slip into the diaper bag, or clip on her belt), and not obnoxious. All I can really find are these Tacti-Cool "APOCOLYPSE SURVIVAL DEMON/ZOMBIE SLAYING KNIFE" and shit on Amazon. We've looked at local flea markets, same deal. She doesn't want to carry about something huge like a traditional bowie knife (like I have her carry in the diaper bag now). So I've come to you ZS! Help me pick her a knife!
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Looking for a knife for the Missus.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:45 pm

http://www.knifeup.com/definitive-guide ... knife-law/

Looks like she'll need to stick with a folder with a short blade.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:03 am

Open carry and the sky is the limit.

Concealed is another animal, and like Doc said you're limited to shorter blades and may want to expand to include folding knives as well. Kershaw Cryo knives are assisted opening, but can be easily de-assisted for a sweet little folder.

If you're willing to save a little more and bump the cost to $60-70, ESEE Izula knives are sick fixed bladed knives. A few come as a kit that can either be worn on the belt or around your neck, skeltonized or wrapped with paracord (micarta slabs can also be had if you need more purchase on the grip) Not to mention the multitude of colors to choose from if you're wife is into that :awesome:

Same deal with the ESEE Candiru. Easier on the wallet and closer to your $30 mark. Slightly smaller in the hand. Belt or neck carry. Colors galore
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Fillet knife. Get them from a fishing shop.

Mate of mine kills pigs with them.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Super, what did you mean by "jumped?" I am curious, that's all. Has she or yourself been physically threatened or attacked with your children?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

SuperBanki

Post by SuperBanki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Super, what did you mean by "jumped?" I am curious, that's all. Has she or yourself been physically threatened or attacked with your children?
By jumped I mean I was physically attacked (punched, shoved, etc) by 8-13 teenagers (The youngest that was charged was 17, the oldest 20). My 2 year old was sitting on our neighbors steps not ten feet from me when the first one ran up and socked me in the back of the head. Luckily my neighbor saw, and she pulled him inside and called 911 (who took over an hour to respond).

I personally, now open carry a bowie knife on me, and have various axes, machetes, etc. around the house. For the moment I custom sewed a sheath onto the diaper bag for a "Mall Ninjay" blade. Things have quieted down somewhat now, so far our block is keeping them intimidated for now. We are moving towards the end of August.
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:03 pm

I don't know what kind of woman your wife is but lets assume she is not the second coming of Bodecia. I don't know that I would go the knife route. I mean you get in a fight with a knife no one is coming out unscathed in general. If we assume the guy attacking is of average strength one lucky blow and either the knife is gone or she is unconscious or temporarily immobile. Now he is pissed and has the knife. I would go with Mace or pepper spray. It's cheap effective and while it doesn't have incredible range she could use it or threaten to use it outside of his reach. You spray it, scream blood murder, and run away. Last time I looked you could get it for 15 bucks.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:08 pm

8-13 attackers wow :shock: May I suggest moving. Sounds like a real bad place to raise a family if you have the means get out. If not maybe a couple of really big and mean dogs. If that many people surround you a bowie knife is not gonna even the odds. I mean you would have your back to at least 2 in any direction. Sounds like the cops aren't gonna be any help either. I was in a similar situation just out of college, however , it was just me, no family. I bought a shotgun for home defense and then as soon as I had the ability got out of there.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:54 am

SuperB. PM me a mailing address. I will send you a knife for the missus. No obligation other than staying within the law.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:44 am

You have not posted. I hope that you are safe.
Henry David Thoreau

SuperBanki

Post by SuperBanki » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Sorry guys, things drastically took a turn for the worse after posting, and while we are all safe and ok, we have also moved. I essentially said to hell with the lease, and we picked up and left. Thanks for all the suggestions, and Asymetryczna, thank you for the offer!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:33 pm

Glad to hear. Be safe. The offer stands.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Other Weapons”