Experiences with automatic knives?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SnoMan

Experiences with automatic knives?

Post by SnoMan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:44 pm

I just got a Benchmade AFO 2 Auto, and I'm preparing an article about it. If you have (or have considered buying) an auto knife, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Also, any recommendations are welcome. And specifically, if you have anything automatic that is also small, maybe pink or teal, I'd love to recommend something to the ladies. By small I mean like the dimensions of a standard SAK.

Das Sheep

Re: Experiences with automatic knives?

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:03 pm

I have this one:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/5000

Its neat. Its fun to open and close with the auto, but its never come open when I didn't want it too.

The grips actually make it not so fun as a pocket knife because they shred your knuckles when you reach past it in your pocket, but that is of course just this model.

I think the auto feature is neat, though its only marginally faster than a normal knife. Not sure that its good for anything special outside of being cool.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:23 pm

I run the Kershaw leek. It comes in a variety of colors, I've had one for 10 years or so.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:51 am

I have three different kinds of Gerbers that I carry and use regularly. I have had all three for more than seven years.

Gerber 06 Tanto w/G10 Handle
This was my favorite knife for patrolling while deployed. The blade strength is simply outstanding. The whole knife is very strong and nearly unbreakable. It is also sharp enough for most tasks and the serrated blade is very useful. The mechanism needs to be cleaned occasionally to ensure smooth operation. The double lock feature for hold open seems infallible. It is heavy for a knife and I recommend a sheath instead of pocket carry.

Gerber was restricting sales to military and first responders. I don't know if they still are. I am sure you can find one on Ebay if they still are.

Gerber 06 Drop Point S30V

Same as the above knife except the blade is a little sharper and the point not quite as strong due to being a drop point design.

Gerber 05780 Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder Knife

I carried this one before I switched to the above knives. This is supposed to more of a "fighting knife". It is not a true auto opener, more of an easy swing out tactical folder. The blade is too dull to be useful for much. The handle too light for my taste and it does not offer enough friction to provide to provide for proper stabbing. It does have great lockup and is very light. I have heard stories of them wearing out prematurely. I only used it for a couple of months before benching it so I couldn't tell you.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Sen

Post by Sen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:05 pm

I have a Microtech Combat Trodden like this

It is utterly impractical but extremely fun to play with and satisfying to own. If you are planning on getting one make sure you have strong thumbs, my wife can't open mine.

dallas

Post by dallas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Sen wrote:I have a Microtech Combat Trodden like this

It is utterly impractical but extremely fun to play with and satisfying to own. If you are planning on getting one make sure you have strong thumbs, my wife can't open mine.
I have the troodon S/E Damascus version.

I started out with a bench made.

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Sun May 10, 2015 4:54 pm

We can't have them in Canada but I'd say you want a side opener and not a OTF as a side opener still has a traditional pivot point like other folding knives making it more durable.

With the development of thumb holes and studs there is not much need for a auto, however one might be useful if you are deep into hypothermia where oressing a button might be easier than using a thumb hole, all theory for me as I don't own any autos and was never cold enough to have trouble opening my Spyderco thumb hole.

What it really boils down to is this: if you want want, and they are legal where you live, then buy one and enjoy.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:08 pm

I've carried this for years:

http://www.tactical-life.com/tactical-k ... onversion/

Personally, I have found that a thumb stud/spring assisted knife to be just as fast.

While legal in my AO, many cops don't 'think' it is, and it could cause more hassle than it's worth.
WWSD?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun May 10, 2015 9:17 pm

I used to have a little Microtech OTF autoknife, a UTX-70

It was a wee knife, with a 2.5" blade.

It was nice enough but in no way worth the $200 it cost. By the time I sold it, it was started to feel kind of loose and sloppy.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sun May 10, 2015 10:35 pm

I carried a Benchmade Infidel for a number of years. It didn't do anything a normal locking blade knife couldn't and was more expensive and more finicky. The novelty wore off after about six months and I sold it for what I paid for it.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 am

I'll agree with the other posters and say that I've never seen an otf that actually got used, and didn't turn into a rattletrap. I've been carrying Spyderco knives for years and they get the zip tie wave treatment. I've owned OTF and "switchblades", and there's simply NOTHING faster (ETA: than the wave feature), period. It doesn't wear the knife out and it's legal most places.
Last edited by AmirMortal on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dallas

Post by dallas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 am

AmirMortal wrote:I'll agree with the other posters and say that I've never seen an otf that actually got used, and didn't turn into a rattletrap. I've been carrying Spyderco knives for years and they get the zip tie wave treatment. I've owned OTF and "switchblades", and there's simply NOTHING faster, period. It doesn't wear the knife out and it's legal most places.
I have used my OTF for 2 years now. It is still tight. My one warning is don't carry change in the pocket with the knife. It can get in the slot and jam the blade.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:15 pm

I carry a benchmade Adamas (2750) as my main folder, its BM's heaviest auto - and probably a bit big for most. I chose it for one hand opening in less than optimum conditions (it is the ONLY folder I have personally used that can be opened in structure fire gloves) as well as being hell for stout.

I also carry a BM 3550 - this is the exact opposite, its light, its fast, it fits my hands perfectly for precise tasks.

Different tools for different jobs, and i wear a variety of hats throughout the day. Recently I made a major career shift from the private sector into public, and now juggle more than ever before.
There is no such thing as a typical day, but for a few examples - two weeks ago my little town experienced just over 9 inches of rain in a single day. My morning started at city hall going over budget reports, by noon I was wading in chest deep nasty water out to sewer lift stations to shut down pumps when my scada system crashed, in between swift water work with the VFD and cutting brush/trash/twine out of tin horns to aid drainage.

The 3550 was great for slicing the apple I picked from one of our alley trees on the way to work but would have been poorly suited to cutting the huge wads of baling twine that had tangled with brush blocking a primary drain pipe.

The 2750 was great for chopping through the leather lead rope holding a gate closed that had turned into a dam.

Like any tool, a knife - auto or otherwise - is best suited only to a few specific tasks, although they can work out of their range with some loss of efficiency, it is important to bear in mind the goal before you decide on the route.

Regarding autos for our fairer members, first and foremost - don't - I've been married, a couple times, and am a bit dense but even I know that shoes, guns, purses, and knives are things that have to fit. No matter how well marketed something is towards one demographic, if it doesnt fit the individual it wont be used at best, and at worst it is used incorrectly and injury results.

Setting aside the disclaimer above

They have been discontinued, so I grab every one I can find locally - both my wife and my eldest daughter carry the benchmade benchmite auto. I also try to keep one (auto or manual) in every FAK and BLS. Its a "cute" little knife with loads of potential for precise cutting.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Had a Benchmade. It felt loose.

Emerson waves are faster, and probably less stressful on the mechanism.

I have a Spyderco Endura with a wave. Like any other Syderco its good to go.

Also have a Cali 3.5. I tried the zip tie and didn't like it. Wasn't about to grind a wave because I think it weakens the blade. I saw these things on Amazon made out of Kydex. Its just a folded piece, screwed through the hole, and it comes out like a spike to catch on your pocket. Hard to explain, but I couldn't find a picture. I just made one. Been on my knife for more than a year and never even lossened, and the the mechanism is still tight.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Return to “Other Weapons”