The Celtic Burda mace

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

The Celtic Burda mace

Post by azrael99 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:31 pm

since i saw it in deadliest warrior and some tv show and movie i couldn't stop thinking about getting one

while it would NOT be the most efficient weapon to carry, no one can say it ain't effective, or easy to produce. This is a simple mace, made of hard wood, steel ring and some bee wax

some will say ''so what the deal about it ?''

check that

simple to use, easy to make, low cost, compact design, depending of the wood, not at heavy as some weapon, low technology , efficient for it use...........what can you say again it ?
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Murph

Re: The Celtic Burda mace

Post by Murph » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Uh, a repost of your own post?
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105190
:clownshoes:
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:04 pm

didn't i said that i had Alzheimer ? :ohdear:
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:30 pm

That looks like something I could make after a trip to the hardware store.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:42 pm

this is why it was so efficient , easy to make, pretty much foolproof

but it must be made of hardwood

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:03 pm

azrael99 wrote:this is why it was so efficient , easy to make, pretty much foolproof

but it must be made of hardwood
I bet I could find some decent pieces of wood at the local lumberyard. That or I could try to find a suitable old baseball bat to make a copy with.

I wonder what sort of wood the Celts were using to make their maces and if I could find something similar in my AO.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 pm

for what i saw, they probably used ashwood, hickory and maple. probably others too

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:51 pm

azrael99 wrote:for what i saw, they probably used ashwood, hickory and maple. probably others too
Once the weather gets better in my AO, I'm heading down to the local lumberyard and seeing if they have any good pieces of hickory or maple wood.

If I end up making one of these maces, I'll post pics of the finished product.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Right off the top of my head, I'd say a pick axe with the handle and both points trimmed would suffice as a cheap and easy makeshift one.

**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:19 pm

My 30 second microsoft paint alteration.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:55 pm

if you make one you will probably have to make another one........................for me :)

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:51 am

What you want is a 58 pattern Pick halve (picture near bottom of page http://josephs-militaria-and-homefront- ... AGE67.HTML). This was the standard weapon issued to me when “staging on” low risk military establishments in the early 80’s.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:05 am

You know,

Cold Steel makes what they call the Brooklyn Shorty, a 20 inch version of the nearly indestructible Brooklyn Smasher;

Special Projects sells it for $12.99 at press time.
http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/92BSTZ ... HORTY.aspx
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Seems like a simple effective weapon. But it is very short and therefore has a very short reach. The metal bands added to the head adds force to the blow and also protects the shaft from damage.

I suspect a plain ordinary four foot long hickory pick-axe handle would serve as well, if not better than the Burda mace. The pick axe handle has more than enough weight to function as an effective club, so much weight and length that it really has to be wielded two-handed. The head of the pick-axe should stand up to quite a bit of battering, unless the target is particularly hard like a metal helmet. Some relatively light reinforcement of the head might be a good idea. A wrapping of wire, such as stainless steel picture hanging wire might suffice.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:46 pm

jor-el wrote:You know,

Cold Steel makes what they call the Brooklyn Shorty, a 20 inch version of the nearly indestructible Brooklyn Smasher;

Special Projects sells it for $12.99 at press time.
http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/92BSTZ ... HORTY.aspx
Or this small barreled, 30 inch long, 30 ounce weight, steel training bat for $30.

http://www.amazon.com/SKLZ-Power-Stick- ... B0019GJZE6
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

sakimoto

Post by sakimoto » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Awesome pick mod Hawaii! !!

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Tire Buddy maybe?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:44 pm

not that bad ! i have a tire club with steel insert .

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:21 pm

In my quest to make one of these things for myself, I stopped at a local hardware store and found some threaded pipe pieces.

I know the Celtic Burda used smooth pieces of iron, but I figured I'm probably not going to be able to accurately reproduce something a Celtic warrior back in his day used. So, now I just need to go back and pick up a couple pieces of the threaded pipe fittings and a large enough piece of wood to make my own version of the Burda mace.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:06 pm

I found an old pick that I don't have much use for anymore. Though I may have to wait until I can go to my Mother's garage out in the burbs. That's where most of my bigger tools, and stuff like my bench grinder is. I live in an apartment in the city now, and they tend to frown upon that kind of stuff.

Looking at the head, I'm torn between cutting and grinding the pick ends smooth, or leaving a nice inch or two of spike on either end to give it a bit more of a modified war pick look.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:12 pm

I wonder if there was any sort of standard look to the Burda mace or if there were modified versions based on each warriors preferences.

If there was different variations, I think the spiked war pick might be neat. I'll probably end up using the threaded pipe fittings on my version of the Burda mace anyway.

Now to just figure out what size pieces I'm going to need. I suppose that all depends on what size piece of wood I use.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Yea, I think it would really add to the design, without turning it into just a war hammer. I'm just think just a couple of small protrusions, not even sharpened to a thin point, just enough to concentrate all that force into a smaller area. Here is another 30 second paintshop special!

I can easily just pick up another handle for the cheap. The heads are easy enough to swap out, so that I could have one full length two handed handle, and one cut down to use as a one handed weapon, closer to the original. I'm curious to see what the balance is going to be like once I lop to two ends off.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Looking good, Sworbeyegib.

It has a sort of flanged mace look to it. :)

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:12 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder if there was any sort of standard look to the Burda mace or if there were modified versions based on each warriors preferences.
Funny you should mention that.
I've been doing some research and the only hits I've got have been the Deadliest Warrior, Bladeforums, Here and a Celtic re-enactment site with the concensus that its bollocks* :?

So, make yours however you like as it can't be wrong :twisted:

I'd use the traditional timber for whacking-sticks.... Thorn

* I once got into an arguement with an Authentication Officer (someone who checks that the gear is correct for time and place) over taking the field at a Viking event with a club. He said there was no Find to prove that Vikings had fought with clubs. I asked was he telling me that despite the fact that humans used clubs since before they were homo sapiens, no Viking ever took a stick to a fight ?
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Return to “Other Weapons”