Anybody EDC fixed blades?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wolverine_173

Anybody EDC fixed blades?

Post by wolverine_173 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:19 am

just picked one up i might start edcing

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: Anybody EDC fixed blades?

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:46 am

I used to edc a Cold Steel Finn Bear on my belt at the 9 o'clock position. It had a very "grey man" sheath/pouch, that rarely caught anyone's eye. I carried it for two reasons.

The first was as a weak side defensive blade. While I hate the idea of using a knife in self defense, my state does not allow for CCW. I would usually carry my flashlight and/or pepper spray on my strong hand side, as well as my multitool. The left side draw was to be able to create distance and place a "defensive barrier" between myself and whoever I was protecting myself from. Not an ideal situation at all, but at the time I thought it was my best option.

The second reason I carried it was for tasks that my primary folder or multi-tool would not be suitable for. Light batoning, food prep (I used it as a steak knife at a few bbqs), or even just very wet and mucky tasks that would gunk up my folder.

However, since my work situation has changed, I don't carry it anymore.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

yummbrains
Favorite Zombie Movies: Colin, Dawn of the Dead

Post by yummbrains » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 am

That's a nice looking knife, do you have the sheath for it already?

I EDC 2 of them, if you count this as EDC.

I carry one of those Bear Grylls paracord fixed blade knives in my bag. I have no planned use for it, but it is small enough to carry without being a big deal, and it's the closest I have to a pry bar in that bag. I would still carry it even if I had a small pry bar in there. I carry a pocket knife and a multitool in my pockets all the time.

I also have a fixed blade in my car for defense, which I hope to never ever use! It's a big blade, I'm hoping it just scares people away. I'll still leave it in the car after I get my CCW though.

I just feel more comfortable having a solid blade with me. I don't really need a reason. (My grandpa would be proud!)

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:39 am

I have a Glock 78 field knife that I keep in my bedroom, however I don't carry a fixed blade as EDC. The laws where I live don't cover a fixed blade under legal to carry around concealed with a CCW -- pistols only, not other stuff.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 am

I carry a KaBar TDI most of the time. The small one, because the big one is very heavy.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:29 pm

I have EDCed fixed blades many times in the past, most often boot knives but also plenty of others. Personally I have just always preferred fixed blades over folders.

The reason I don't EDC them now, is laws and lack of knowledge of laws in most areas. Carrying a legal fixed blade can get you odd looks by others and even police ignorant of actual laws can end up stopping you and taking your knife. I have had to go to court to get my legal boot knife back before.

Carrying a knife is just not as common as it once was, so carrying something that is less concealed becomes a red flag to a lot of people. Altering the way they interact with you.

For me it stopped being practical to EDC a fixed blade while in suburban and urban places. Though when ever I am in a more rural area I tend to revert back to EDCing a fixed blade pretty quick. Rural areas seem a lot less freaked out by folks carrying a simple tool like a knife.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Yup, I EDC a small custom made punch dagger ( made by a local 'smith) on my belt as a off hand defensive weapon. I love the fact that in az we can carry ANY knife, just about any where.

( this is a similar dagger, its what mine was based on but mine has a larger handle and a blade that while slightly larger is the same shape.)

I also occationally ( like when camping or out in the boondocks.) carry a 9.5" custom Bowie, made by the same fella.

( sorry about the crappy cell phone photo, yes that is a full size 5"1911 for scale)

J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:11 pm

I EDC a BK 14 with a metal belt clip attached. I have worn it long enough and done enough to it that the metal clip is needing to be replaced.

I have worn it in the city, country, suburbs, always on my belt at the 5 o'clock or 8 o'clock once I started carrying a pistol in the 5.... but now I carry my pistol in the 2 o'clock, so maybe I should change my knife again.....

I have very rarely "been made" while carrying. Only once or twice. I am pretty skinny and often wear tighter shirts, though since carrying a pistol, my shirts have got looser. So my BK 14 has gone unnoticed in a LOT of places with LOTS of people.

So, I have no problems EDCing a fixed blade.

I even put bright paracord on the handle. I still have not been spotted since doing that. :)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 pm

I have pocket sheaths for both a Fallkniven F1 and a Spyderco Ronin and I use those sometimes.

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:46 pm

I carry a KABAR TDI just to the left of my belt buckle and sometimes an Izula II around my neck. The TDI is just enough to help me protect my weapon, and the Izula II is a great GP knife.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 pm

m-f = benchmade Nimravus in a home made leather sheath (factory kydex rattles like an old ford)
weekends I mix it up, sometimes a Randall, sometimes a Busse - always between 5 and 6 on the belt.
There is always a mora on the outside of my tool bag, and in the door of my truck, and in the toolbox, and in the GHB behind the seat....too cheap not to have a tone of them laying around.

I also carry a heavy duty folder (BW 2750) in my rt pocket and a small knife elsewhere.
As soon as I get done paying off my next Randall, I am replacing the Nimravus with the BM Adamus fixed (model 375)

Kinzei
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Dead Alive, Reanimator, Dead and Breakfast, Dead Snow, Army of Darkness, I am Legend, Juan of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombie land, Evil Dead 1 & 2, etc......

Post by Kinzei » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm

I carry an ESEE Izula as part of my EDC kit.

Keep on galloping my black horse, carry me to unknown shores
through these outlandish woods, and with confidence back home.
Korpiklaani-Keep on Galloping

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:33 pm

fixed blades are where its at. I have cairried them in what is referred to as "non-permissive" environments- CA, Boston, ect. With the right sheathing and panning its no big deal.
Currectly,my primary EDC is a 4 1/2" blade i made in a kydex sheath, strong side forward of my pistol.

Folders are already broken, convinced to stay together by a small pin and various locking mechanisms.

Folders, i don't care if they are auto, assissted, or majical, are not as fast as a well sheathed fixed blade.

Plus, a functionaly superior fixed blade will be cheaper to buy than many of these folders that are 'advanced" and pricey.

homerj109
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by homerj109 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm

I experimented with a couple of custom knives carried horizontally, with most of what I wear he smaller one dissapears when I wear it in front of my belt buckly but the 5 1/2" one I have to dress around or wear it on the small of my back.

I recently started appendix carrying my G19 and have been wearing these fixed blades less and less, every now and then I will carry them to work when I want to mix up my EDC knives but I find it easier to carry a 5 1/1" CS Espada or Voyager in my pocket.

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by AfleetAlex » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 pm

My EDC is a SOG PUP II field knife. It fits discreetly on the inside of the calf. Even under yoga pants.
Come with me if you want to live.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:14 pm

i can't find my pic, but here a google one

i often carry a Kiku D-2 whenever i go see my father, or help my friend at his store, or work at the warehouse

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:24 pm

For about 10 years, I carried a Mad Dog PATAK (just shy of a 5" blade). I carried quite well under the BDU/ACU/OCP blouses.

There's few other "fixed" blades in the mix:

I've had to down-size the PATAK to an ESEE-3, but I still carry the KaBar small TDI as well. For civilian attire, it's usually just folders, but during the winter, I'll add one of my favorites which is Spyderco's Fred Perrin. Best carry methods are usually horizontal sheaths for cross draw or the simple 550-cord figure-8 harness for a "shoulder" carry (mostly for the Fallkniven WM-1 or ESEE Izula; both systems conceal very well.

ROCK6

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:29 pm

If I'm awake and have clothes on...these two are on me, period.

(there's a few places *bank, bars, etc* that the G19 stays in the truck, the BK14 never leaves my pocket)
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:12 pm

maine1 wrote:fixed blades are where its at. I have cairried them in what is referred to as "non-permissive" environments- CA, Boston, ect. With the right sheathing and panning its no big deal.
Currectly,my primary EDC is a 4 1/2" blade i made in a kydex sheath, strong side forward of my pistol.

Folders are already broken, convinced to stay together by a small pin and various locking mechanisms.

Folders, i don't care if they are auto, assissted, or majical, are not as fast as a well sheathed fixed blade.

Plus, a functionaly superior fixed blade will be cheaper to buy than many of these folders that are 'advanced" and pricey.
It's legal to carry a fixed blade here in CA. You just can't carry concealed. Also, CA has no blade length restrictions.

I have thought about carrying a fixed blade. I don't like the idea of open carry however. Many people get alarmed by knives of any sort. A fixed blade will be even more alarming to some people. I really don't need someone to freak out and call the police. Although it would be interesting to see how people around here would react (if at all) to a Mora. My Mora has a black handle and OD green sheath. So depending on what I am wearing, it might blend in nicely. I wonder how people would react to one of those Mora's with the bright pink sheath. Would having a pink sheath actually do anything to make the knife seem less scary to people? I also wonder if it might not immediately register as a knife in people's minds. Pink plastic isn't what most people will think of when they think of a knife sheath. Mora's are cheap enough that I may have to try that experiment.

Of course the way people react will also depend on the area. I live live in the east bay. Although the town isn't really that rural; we do have a feed and farm supply store and a rodeo. So people around here might have less of a problem with a fixed blade than people in San Francisco or Oakland.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:I wonder how people would react to one of those Mora's with the bright pink sheath. Would having a pink sheath actually do anything to make the knife seem less scary to people? I also wonder if it might not immediately register as a knife in people's minds. Pink plastic isn't what most people will think of when they think of a knife sheath. Mora's are cheap enough that I may have to try that experiment.
What do you think they'd mistake it as...? A personal massager?
:roll:
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:
maine1 wrote:fixed blades are where its at. I have cairried them in what is referred to as "non-permissive" environments- CA, Boston, ect. With the right sheathing and panning its no big deal.

It's legal to carry a fixed blade here in CA. You just can't carry concealed. Also, CA has no blade length restrictions.

I have thought about carrying a fixed blade. I don't like the idea of open carry however. Many people get alarmed by knives of any sort. A fixed blade will be even more alarming to some people. I really don't need someone to freak out and call the police. Although it would be interesting to see how people around here would react (if at all) to a Mora. My Mora has a black handle and OD green sheath. So depending on what I am wearing, it might blend in nicely. I wonder how people would react to one of those Mora's with the bright pink sheath. Would having a pink sheath actually do anything to make the knife seem less scary to people? I also wonder if it might not immediately register as a knife in people's minds. Pink plastic isn't what most people will think of when they think of a knife sheath. Mora's are cheap enough that I may have to try that experiment.

Of course the way people react will also depend on the area. I live live in the east bay. Although the town isn't really that rural; we do have a feed and farm supply store and a rodeo. So people around here might have less of a problem with a fixed blade than people in San Francisco or Oakland.

back when i lived in CA, aparently the Local DA in OC had an unwritten policy( acordibng to a few cops i had contact with) "anyone with a knife gets charged/jailed". Honestly, what i carried at the time was openly carried, at least one of the fixed blades was, and i don't recall being noticed by anyone.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 pm

There where a few times when I carried quite a large blade quite discreetly while out of the house. Not so much in an EDC fashion, but for night time walks and such in secluded areas.

My state does not allow CCW, and the laws are a bit fuzzy on ASP and similar sized batons (I keep getting mixed answers from both LEO's, local defense foundations, and such). However, my state has no length limit laws on blades.

I used to go out for night time walks along public walking/biking trails on the outskirts of my suburbs. My pepper spray always came with me, but on more than one occasion, so did my Cold Steel 12" bowie machete. It is a long and intimidating blade, but it is very thin and light. I could easily just tuck it into my waist band if I were wearing loose shorts and it would be barely noticeable be either me, or anyone I may run into while walking on the trail. I didn't want to open carry it on my waist, because the last thing I wanted to do was freak any nice people/families out who are just looking for some fresh air like myself.

However, as with any dark and secluded trails/areas, it also attracted a lot of hooligans and teens looking to get liquored up and raise a little hell. Lots of stories of people getting "jumped", even though it was a very nice neighborhood.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 pm

maine1 wrote: back when i lived in CA, aparently the Local DA in OC had an unwritten policy( acordibng to a few cops i had contact with) "anyone with a knife gets charged/jailed". Honestly, what i carried at the time was openly carried, at least one of the fixed blades was, and i don't recall being noticed by anyone.
I am making assumptions about how people might react. The only way to know for sure is to try it and find out. I could also carry a fixed blade in backpack. It's my understanding that it wouldn't qualify as concealed since I wouldn't have ready access to it.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:55 am

Yup been doing it for years.

I like that setup.
Browning 35 wrote:I have pocket sheaths for both a Fallkniven F1 and a Spyderco Ronin and I use those sometimes.

Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

Return to “Other Weapons”