The grey man knife

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

The grey man knife

Post by azrael99 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:20 am

many people on this forum encounter problem with peoples in their use of EDC knives from many people aren't aware of the legality of carrying or even (as stupid as it sound ) the utility to carry a knife

many people encounter problem while using something as simple as the kudu, including myself, i had to stop using it at work since it so long, so big, so shiny, it could scare customers (yeah right, that so stupid )

so i would like to discuss what would be the safes knifes we could use without alarming much the peoples around

i have pre-selected a few model myself that i think would be safe to use (yes they are all cold steel since it the only compagny that i have a extended experience with them and have the strongest lock-system)

folders :

fixed blades

what good blade would you recommend that would less-likely raise a eye brown ?
Last edited by azrael99 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: The grey man knife

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:44 am

I own a Tuff-lite, but the regular version and not the mini. I found the mini to be much to small for my large hands, and the regular to be just about perfect for a politically correct sized blade. I also have actually carried the Finn Bear as an edc, back when I was going thru a fixed blade kick. I just about never had people question it, though in reality it was overkill for most day to day cutting applications.

In my opinion, the most grey man of cutting instruments someone could use without raising any sort of eyebrows would be a good multi-tool or swiss army knife.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

yummbrains
Favorite Zombie Movies: Colin, Dawn of the Dead

Post by yummbrains » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:19 am

I carry these in my pocket

The little Buck knife was my dad's and that's the only reason I carry that, but I do find it easier to use for opening mail & packages than the bulkier Leatherman. I can't imagine not carrying a Leatherman, I use it every day. I use both of these tools daily at work and have never noticed any strange reaction to them. I never pulled out the Buck knife when I was working in K-12 schools because I wasn't sure how people would react. I think it was technically allowed, but out of respect for the environment I kept it in my pocket and only used my Leatherman. However I could use the Leatherman everyday in those places and no one seemed concerned.

Neither of my knives look very tactical or survival oriented. I do EDC more blade power than this but it's not in my pocket and no one ever sees it.

Some of my friends carry the little Spyderco knife as a utility tool and a self-defense tool. It's a tough little knife that can be deployed quickly, but it's also modest enough to appear non-threatening. I'm not sure if it's the Tenacious or the Ambitious.

If your goal is to go unnoticed and avoid conflict over a pocket knife (of all things!) then tools like this are the way to go.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

Step out of the 'tactical' mindset if you are pushing for a grey man look.

Are you looking for a weapon? Or a tool?

If you are looking for a tool...

Great Eastern Cutlery makes some fantastic knives... here is my favorite right now.

W. R. Case is pretty much the standard, they only come in CV or Stainless currently though.

a 3 bladed Sowbelly is always a good choice.

You could also go the Swiss Army Farmer or Pioneer Harvester route.

If you are going 'traditional' or 'grey man' I cannot recommend enough the GEC or Case brands. They are both awesome, but different. Both unique in their own ways, but both made in the USA.

I stopped carrying 'tactical' blades about 6 months ago, I havent looked back even once.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:40 am

Its hard to find a knife that is completely safe and legal in all situations. The only thing that I think most people can get away with is Multi-tool. I personally like multi-tools where the knife blade can be deployed with one hand like the Leatherman Wave and Skeletool.

In the US knife laws vary by state and even by towns and cities. In my half ass internet research I came to the conclusion that a besides a multi-tool, a folder with a blade length of 2.5" or less, that has no assisted opening feature and if you can swing it something that is dual use and does not look tactical. Same with a fixed blade, but I think you can squeeze out 3.5" in blade length. An example of dual use is something that could be in a trade or other job. Something like a EMT folder with a strap cutter and a glass breaker or a something like a Mora "light my fire" knife when camping. when I say "tactical" you got to remember that if something bad happens, and you use that knife in self defense, you want something that does not look scary when that lawyer hold it up in the courtroom in front of the jury. A Case knife or a Spyderco Salt with a yellow handle looks better than some tactical folder called "the pigsticker" with skulls on the handle

The problem I see with some folks in the prepping community is they may be carrying knives that are completely illegal to carry in their area, regardless if its scares anyone. Tons of gear reviewers and survivalist will sell you on how great this folder is with a 4.5" blade, or how its better to carry a double edge boot knife than a folder, but the first thing you should look at before buying those knives for EDC "is it legal to carry" in my country, state, and town, and in the other areas I travel thru.
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am

All of my knives are tools, not weapons. They're all pretty grey-man, and all under my state's 4" limit.

To the OP: calling people 'sheep' or 'people' is a no-go around here. I only clicked on this thread because I can see someone has already flagged it for mod review. You'd do well to not do that anymore.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 am

I like my Northwoods Burnside Jack. Very similar to Great Eastern Cutlery, in fact I think they pair up on projects from time to time and produce knives for each other.

I am thinking pretty heavily on getting a Norfolk, but the Freemonts in Mammoth Ivory are oh so choice!

Burnside Jack in Calico Bone

Norfolk in wood

Freemont in Mammoth Ivory

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 am

Most of the knives in the OP look more "tactical" than utilitarian. I've never seen a fixed blade that would fit in, unless I was hunting or camping.

In my experience multitools (Leatherman, Gerber, etc. ) never raise an eyebrow. Neither do any kind of Swiss Army Knife or similar. I think it's because these are seen as tools and not weapons.

I also find how I present my knife can change how a person seems to react. Breaking down a cardboard box: Reach into pocket, pull out knife with one hand, use second hand to pull the blade open with thumbnail, ...is way less of an attention getter than reaching into pocket and pressing the spring assist nub on the back of the blade to snap it open in one quick motion.

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm

crypto wrote: calling people 'sheep' or 'people' is a no-go around here.
"People" is a no go? Why?

Just curious.
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Chirpy wrote:

Just curious.
I think he might have meant "sheep" or "sheep-le"?
EDIT: interesting, if you type "s h e e p l e" without the spaces like thus: "people", it turns into "people" upon posting. Forum autocorrect? It corrected my attempted correction when I checked my post just after I posted it.

OT: While around people who don't carry knives daily, or aren't even very familiar/comfortable with others carrying them, I think the design and presentation both count.

On design, I think it should be very plain, maybe not even include any serrations. There is a psychological limit to how long it should be, before I think people will start to think twice when you take it out - maybe 3"? Folding blades seem to draw less attention than fixed blades; possibly because the blade is still not exposed the first time they see it, or if you need to hand it to someone, it looks safer. The locking mechanism should be reliable (always), but should probably be a thumb stud at most, certainly no assisted openings or whatnot.

Most of us probably already carry knives like this, or could at least reasonably make due with it day-to-day. My EDC knife is a cheapo Buck that looks pretty much quintessentially "folding pocket knife" if you were to imagine one in your head. Some of the non-locking knives others suggested, "penknife" style, would also be pretty low-key. And I definitely agree that my full multi-tool only gets questions as to why I bother to carry around such a heavy object, but never the fact that it has multiple large, sharp blades on it.

And of course if you are trying to be "grey man" your presentation of yourself and your kit will matter too. If there is a need for a knife - to open a box, let's say - giving people a second to look for scissors or telling them that "I've got this" before taking your knife out will at least give them the opportunity to do it their own way, or let them know what you intend to do. Don't just whip it out, blade open, and eyes on the prize, before they know what's going on. :P
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Chirpy wrote:

Just curious.
Aha, I forgot we have a word filter on s h e e p l-e so nevermind about that one. but yes.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Sorry if my choice of word was unapropriate

I fixed it
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:Most of the knives in the OP look more "tactical" than utilitarian. I've never seen a fixed blade that would fit in, unless I was hunting or camping.

In my experience multitools (Leatherman, Gerber, etc. ) never raise an eyebrow. Neither do any kind of Swiss Army Knife or similar. I think it's because these are seen as tools and not weapons.

I also find how I present my knife can change how a person seems to react. Breaking down a cardboard box: Reach into pocket, pull out knife with one hand, use second hand to pull the blade open with thumbnail, ...is way less of an attention getter than reaching into pocket and pressing the spring assist nub on the back of the blade to snap it open in one quick motion.
+1 on that. I have had a few time where people would freak out when I use a flipper knife like my CRKT M16 thinking its was a switch blade. If I use two hands they just assume its another folder.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I also like that Northwoods Burnside Jack

The last one like a seax look quite good

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm a big fan of sodbuster blades, and own a few. My largest is a Boker, with about a 3 1/2" or 4" blade. Even though it is fairly large, it is not very intimidating because of its classic "old-timey" look.

On top of that, its an incredibly comfortable blade to use in the hand, and takes an edge like a champ. All its missing is a pocket clip.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I EDC both a Spyderco Persistence (2.75" blade to conform to Michigan law) and a Leatherman Wave. I haven't had any hostile reactions to either one, but a couple people couldn't figure out how to close the Persistence.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Towanda wrote:...but a couple people couldn't figure out how to close the Persistence.
I don't let anyone handle my knives, if they knew how to use/be safe with one they would carry one themselves.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 pm

I have been carrying this lately, it cuts well and it is very sturdy so prying can be done without snapping the blade off. Also has a glass breaker on the end, it's covered in this shot by the lanyard.
WWSD?

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Paladin1 wrote:I have been carrying this lately, it cuts well and it is very sturdy so prying can be done without snapping the blade off. Also has a glass breaker on the end, it's covered in this shot by the lanyard
Do a lot of glass breaking and pry work on a daily basis eh?

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 am

Merovech wrote:
Towanda wrote:...but a couple people couldn't figure out how to close the Persistence.
I don't let anyone handle my knives, if they knew how to use/be safe with one they would carry one themselves.
They are people I know well enough to trust with my tools. They just hadn't encountered a frame lock before.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 am

I used to make a big show of packing every tacticool blade I had. I've grown up. I carry a Mora electrician's knife at work because it is damn useful, very safe (rounded point), and scary sharp. I generally also have my skeletool on or about my person, and a snap-off razor blade. These are all "tools" that I openly carry, and use publicly. My Cold Steel Voyager is now my "undercover" (dont pull it out or let it show) carry, or my prized Bowen belt knife. It's comforting to have close at hand, and out of sight in plain sight.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:02 am

Merovech wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:I have been carrying this lately, it cuts well and it is very sturdy so prying can be done without snapping the blade off. Also has a glass breaker on the end, it's covered in this shot by the lanyard
Do a lot of glass breaking and pry work on a daily basis eh?
Well, that the point, it's a tool. I do cut packaging open on almost a daily basis, it can cut, scrape, pry, cut a seat belt, pop a car window. And, most assuredly, be used as a stand off device while I protect/access the strong side which has the real weapon.

But it's not a big scary, offensive oriented looking "tactical weapon".
WWSD?

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Well I agree with the multi tool as being "Grey" as well.

What I carry is three knives.

Cold steel 5 inch voyager ser.--California does not have a blade length law just no fixed blades concealed and carried capable of ready use.
This knife is my tac folder meaning I use it for nothing other than saving lives is it is always sharp. you would never use your duty gun for a hammer would you?

3 inch cold steel voyager ser. as what I call a cutter meaning for cutting things. Still a little large for most people to see.

A victorinox "money clip" with two blades and scissors. This is the true grey man knife as it is a SAK and small.

LastBoyScout
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:56 pm

do you think the orange survival edge would be a "grey" knifes ?

it bright, not even close to be tactical and quite useful

whatcha think ?

Return to “Other Weapons”