COMPLETED KHHI ZOMBIE KHUKURI!

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Re: COMPLETED KHHI ZOMBIE KHUKURI!

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:57 pm

More of a Falcata fan but man that is nice!
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 pm

thanks man, I love the falcata as well. One of my designs which has sat on my desk the longest without anything happening to it is of a large polearm with a falcata like head. I think I designed it during biology at high school, but I'm still damn ken on getting it made sometime.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 am

New thread up, got some testing going http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 3&t=106416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fourpaws
ZS Member
ZS Member
Location: Worcester in the rolling green countryside.. or up to my eyes and ears in sand and dust..

Post by fourpaws » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:17 am

OH FREAKIN' HELL !!!!! SHE'S ARRIVED !!!! Oh yeah baby !!!

I had the email from the courier company about 3 days ago and I thought, knowing my luck, I'll have just left for the airport for another 8 weeks out in Sandpit and the post man will bring it... but oh no... :-) ... happy days are here... just answered the door all of 15 mins ago this is what the nice man brought me... Im sorry if some of the images aren't brilliant or show as much detail as I like but my camera charger is at the bottom of my bergen and Im leaving very shortly... so no test and not a full workout of this beautiful piece.. and trust me she's much nicer in the flesh than on the pics... the handle is gorgeously sculpted and fits perfectly to my hand... the weight and balance point are great (again for me) and shes sharp...very sharp ! Packaging was first rate and had no worries with the law or customs getting her into country. DHL dropped it off with no hassles. The sheath is very soft but hard leather (is that right ??) and feels luxurious. Oil is still on the blade for protection and theres no blemishes or flaws that I can see in the metal or the sheath.

I have added a couple of extra photos to show my traditional "ceremonial" Kukhri that I was given back in '05 to show size comparison. Also, I've put a Duracell AA battery in a couple of phots to again show some comparison. Ive left her on the paper that she came in so apologies if it looks a bit scruffy !

Apologies for the pic heavy post but I tried to do a few just to show how nice (IMO) it is... Fugglesby.. good job bro !! thanks !!

'Paws.
Somewhere, somehow, someones going to be smashing zombies.....

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Mon May 06, 2013 2:03 pm

That thing is massive, I love it! Always been a fan of those types of knives. Need a new one. Former roomie raided my collection and illegally pawned $1000 of my prized blades.
Don't worry I've been offended by professionals!

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 pm

A low act indeed.
You can take a man's knife but you can never take his spirit!

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Fugglesby wrote:A low act indeed.
You can take a man's knife but you can never take his spirit!
Try being married for a buncha years... you might change your mind.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am

Haha I'll take your word for it!

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 am

Was married, still am. My wife actually understands that I collect weapons. Grumbles about it yes but he actually has been looking at some herself. I'm still trying to recover, and in order to do that I'm going to need another khukuri.

fourpaws
ZS Member
ZS Member
Location: Worcester in the rolling green countryside.. or up to my eyes and ears in sand and dust..

Post by fourpaws » Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Yup, have to say that she is awesome - cant wait to get back and give her good workout ! Luckily my Long Haired Generl just rolls her eyes and lets me get on with things like collecting nice shiny sharp things - if I lived in the US then it'd bang sticks !!
Somewhere, somehow, someones going to be smashing zombies.....

bu55c

Post by bu55c » Wed May 08, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah, the only thing I really don't care for about the UK.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 pm

KHHI has suffered a pretty big setback recently.
On the 6th of may, KHHI's main workshop was the victim of an armed robbery by a gang of drug fuelled bandits.
This is hugely demoralising for all the kamis over there, especially saroj as he works so hard and to see his business trashed and his profits snatched away by lowlifes is very hard indeed.
If any of you guys have orders and you're waiting for delivery, you can expect a 10-20 day wait while KHHI gets its stuff back in order and gets back on track. Most importantly, though is that KHHI will get back on track eventually.
If you're looking for more information, KHHI did a small write-up right here.
http://www.gurkhas-kukris.com/freshtation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:29 am

all you need to do is to get ex-gurkha (even though a gurkha never really retire) as security ........................or tell the gurkha units you sell your kukri that you get some problem with some punks

nowhere on earth or in hell is safe enough to hide again even a single pissed o** gurkha , he will draw his kukri made by KHHI and you will draw blood

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sat May 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah that's what Saroj has done, he's got one of his ex ghurka mates on payroll now patrolling around the industrial estate looking for trouble.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Fugglesby wrote:Yeah that's what Saroj has done, he's got one of his ex ghurka mates on payroll now patrolling around the industrial estate looking for trouble.
There's nothing on this planet quite as scary as a pissed off Ghurka coming after you while screaming the famous Ghurka battle cry. :shock:

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm

well yes there is something :

"a pissed off Ghurka coming after you while screaming the famous Ghurka battle cry wielding a KHHI ZOMBIE KHUKURI!"
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Sun May 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Well, poopy von poopenmeyer. :( Like I tried to teach my students back what when I were a English teacher, "Those who don't do what they're supposed to make life hard on the rest of society." As if making a living isn't difficult enough as-is, you throw drug gangs in the mix.

Although, a place where men are swinging sledgehammers all day making large knives doesn't seem like a smart place to shake down. :twisted:

Hope that the bad guys get sorted out and the honest folk can get back to their work soon.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 pm

"good new everyone"

i wanted to search a type of sword that was called a "skull crusher" guess what i saw in the first few result ?

that beast

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Awesome!
I've been keeping track of a few keyword searches lately, the scourge is pretty much on top for zombie khukuri and apocalypse khukuri but is way behind on zombie kukri. All in good time!

Also the first imitation of the scourge is already up! Ex ghurka Khukuri house, doin' what they do best. Copying designs from Busse, KHHI and even mcswood (who has some beautiful customs) then makes them in far worse quality and charges more for them than the original was! Top blokes.
http://www.nepalkhukurihouse.com/497/13 ... -Kukri.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They even decided to use one of the preliminary sketched and put it into production. Not sure why anyone would want to use such a malformed half baked knife design, but they're dead keen.
http://www.nepalkhukurihouse.com/488/13 ... -Kukri.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In happier news, there's a scourge unboxing on youtube! It's pretty long but a cute kid is holding the camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhN8XaPtcx8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what it's all about :)

EMEUTIER
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Resident Evil Series

Post by EMEUTIER » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:27 pm

I really hate to necro a thread, but i haven't been able to find any news about if you managed to create any custom variations of the Scourge, specificaly I was hoping to see an option for a mircarta handle with kydex sheath as an option.

I still really want this kukri though, is there a way to buy them in Australia? (considering all the legality's involved in mailing a knife)
To JoergSprave on YouTube, Tproa wrote: Sir, I tip my hat to you --- slowly, and without any sudden movement....

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:34 am

No worries about the necro.
As far as the micarta goes, it didn't pan out. However while in Nepal I passed on the skills to make kydex sheaths to one of the kamis so if you email KHHI they might be able to do it for you. Alternatively they might not be able to to do it because they're not happy with their skill level at the moment and are going to wait a little longer. Either way an email to KHHI will definitely clear it up. As far as getting the knife in australia, there's no issues in getting it through customs. The back edge doesn't classify it as a dagger due to it's huge size and the cheapest option is buying direct from KHHI. The markup australian blade sellers take is ridiculous.
Take care,
Andrew

gold03

Post by gold03 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and signed up to offer a review of this knife. I ordered from KHHI and was delivered to my home in Alberta with in two weeks. I noticed the point of the knife was just protruding from the card board box about a mm. No one seemed to have been injured though, and no damage. The knife was wrapped in plastic and coated in oil. No signs of rust or any water damage. The shipper only took 4 days to get it from Nepal to Alberta so it didn't sit in a slow boat at all.
The knife is awesome. Big and heavy as hell. I bought this as a working knife. I spend a lot of time in the bush and wanted a knife that could serve the purpose of a knife and hatchet. This thing fits the bill. I hacked down some 2 inch frozen polars. It is easier with the Khukuri than the hatchet. It is actually heavier than my Estwing hatchet. Held its edge with out any wear and tear after about 10 minutes of abusive testing. Poplar isn't the dirtiest wood so not a lot of contamination, but was frozen solid. The handle isn't very refined in that it has not been sanded smooth. Still has some file marks in evidence. I'm not touching it up, the extra traction might be important. If you lose control of this knife it will be bad. The handle is substantial. Someone with a small had will find it a hand full to keep a grip on. The blade is well formed, straight and proportional. The finish is fine grinding marks, no forge marks. the appearance is like a nice brushed steel finish. There is no annoying ring when you strike with this knife. lands with a solid thunk.

The weight and size of the knife make it a little awkward to wear on a belt, but that is where I carry it. I carry it belly down on my left hip with the handle toward my mid section. This allows me to move and bend at the hip, as well as draw with my right hand. The sharpened spine makes it important to have some protection on your gut section if it hangs over your belt area. The size of the knife size makes carrying it feel like a short heavy sword. I took the edge to a higher level of sharp, but there was nothing wrong with the edge from the factory.

The sheath needed a little rework when it arrived. The knife has no retention in the sheath and I need to build up the inside to retain the knife sufficiently. I used some leather strip glued into the very inside of the sheath. I secured it with glue and it will take some further refining to avoid the knife coming out on its own. No problem, just a little deer hide and it will be good.

This knife is more than I expected and have no problem recommending this knife. Great value for the price. I have not found an equivelent as far as weight, quality and price. Some of the North American knives are pretty nice, but also light weights. The knife is bigger and of a higher quality than I expected to find. Given the choice between a Bowie knife and this Khukuri, I chose the Khukuri. KHHI was very responsive to emails and questions. I feel I recieved great service. They ship with DHL and it was the furthest and fastest shipping I have ever had done. No UPS B.S. for you Canadian brothers.

Enjoy.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Hey Gold, thanks for that review it was really, really solid! It's always valuable to hear about the real world use that other people can get up to so I can take it into account in future, especially your comments on cutting frozen trees as it's something I would have no chance of being able to do in australia. You seem like you've really got some decent use in, do you have any thoughts on the geometry of the blade? I feel a little bit restless in regards to it currently. As it stands it has a 9mm spine with a subtle flat grind down to the secondary bevel which is a large convex. I've used it to cut through some pretty insane australian hardwoods without issue as well as all sorts of abuse cutting steel/rock etc and I feel like I could wring a fair bit of penetration out of it if the primary grind was steepened and if the secondary bevel started later. As of yet I've heard of no failure at all in the primary grind from any user, not so much as a ripple even from heavy pry work. Frozen wood sounds like a pretty extreme real world use scenario, so in your situation would you opt for a slightly leaner geometry at risk of reduced primary grind strength?

gold03

Post by gold03 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 am

From a survival point of view I think it works well. It would penetrate better if the primary was a little leaner, but carefully consider the weight of this beast. It will be used by individuals to do things that are normally way outside of the line of duty for a knife. And they will exert a lot of force doing it using two hands to swing it. As I did. If you can test before releasing a change you might be safe.

As an axe or hatchet function the current profile allows for slitting dry wood. As you shallow up the primary this will get more difficult because more penetration makes more work out of splitting firewood. Look at a Estwing axe/hatchet. Very fine, thin deep primary. They don't split wood worth a shit. This knife, for me, is a combination tool and there have to be some compromises. One of the important ones for me with a survival tool is the ability to put it to hard use but not have blade failure. Repairing a tool because it's edge failed is a bitch when you are in survival mode.

Don't get to focused on beheading a zombie with a single blow. In the real world this knife is going to deliver a deadly blunt force trauma even if swung sideways at someone's noggin. if you have the arm to swing it. An edge on attack would be brutal regardless of how deep it penetrated.

Return to “Other Weapons”