Poll: Which Zombie Khukuri would you buy?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which Apocalypse/Zombie Khukuri would you buy?

DESIGN #1- Bowie style clip point with ridged handle
25%
DESIGN #2- Straight clip point with smooth ergo handle
75%

Total votes: 48

ednemo

Re: Poll: Which Zombie Khukuri would you buy?

Post by ednemo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 am

I like the 2nd one, except for the pointy pommel. I always avoid anything with a pointy pommel as it negates any way to gain leverage or roll the blade into position. Add serrations to the avoid list as well. Otherwise, I like it a lot.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:44 am

Hello again everyone!
Sorry about the big absence, I had a crapload of reports to write up and have been travelling between major cities. Very straining.
Here is the final refined design, completely to scale for a 13 inch blade.

Changes include a notched spine for firesteels etc to add detail instead of serrations, a slightly more offset handle as well as the new hammer/skullcrusher hybrid pommel. I've made a mockup of this and it hammers excellently, not at all as awkward as the angle makes it seem. The skullchrusher point is still there, just less severe and way out of the way of the hand when in use. Smashed up some bricks with it, was great fun.
Big changes have happened to the handle. As per Stormcrow's suggestion I made up multiple models before getting it right.

The altered handle shape is supremely comfortable and I've designed it for four different grips. Sabre grip, which is super comfy and secure, a pommel biased hammer grip, a guard biased hammer grip and a full hammer grip. These four different grips give great versatility in use and due to some of these grips being biased towards larger hands or smaller hands, There's not a single person who has held it and not found a lovely natural grip somewhere on it, from my 16 year old female cousin to my gigantic bear like co worker.

Palm swells! Specially designed and refined over 3 different wooden models. These have subtle changes in the depths and widths of the various contours to allow for comfort in all these different hand positions and with space to either side for large hands. The flared butt and guard keep teh hand effortlessly secure for thrusting and chopping jobs.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 am

Just for clarity, the hammer and skullcrusher metal mockup is not pictured. Only the wooden handle mockup.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 am

So 5/16 minnimum at the spine (main spine not swedge)?
Unsharpened swedge like the Kabar Khukri I own and love?
Carbon steel?
I'll let others chime in on grinds, I'm half asleep and on medication.
Look forward to updates!
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I like what I see! you really took people's feedback to heart!

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but have you decided on a final material for the handles?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm really looking forward to the final product, Fugglesby. :D

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 pm

The cutouts for the fingers may limit who can use it comfortably, by hand size... But I DO like the design, especially if it was for a hand size large/xl (mine :) )

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:14 am

Thankyou everyone for your kind words.
Turtlewolf, you're correct, 5/16th for the spine. The swedge will be sharpened, but will be much less severe than the main edge. If batoning is really a priority, it can easily be sanded down, that's the great thing about these kind of handmade khukuris. Very easily modifiable. Steel is 5160 spring steel, hand forged out of jeep/truck leaf springs. Very traditional and time tested. From the steel you can expect incredible toughness, decent edge retention, for the knife to take an edge very easily and for it to rust when uncared for, but less severely than 1095 and it's cousins. Less pitting and more of a patina.

Naptime, handle material is a great question and still a little ambiguous.
There was a lot of debate on it, especially between my colleague at KHHI and myself, but at the moment the choice is unpolished buffalo horn for durability, price and cool factor. I'm a little worried that it'll cause nasty vibrations compared to wood, but I'll drop some construction tips in to see how much of it we can absorb, like having a softened and tapered tang. Maybe even with some holes drilled into it. Worst case scenario if the first one ends up being too rough, rosewood is a viable alternative.
If you've missed out on the previous thread to this, you can find initial design work here http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=101203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quit drooling, chimp ;) hahaha

Maldon, I understand your concern, and I've done my best to provide a comfortable grip for different hand sizes. I'm slightly reluctant to try and design it so broadly fitting so that it can cater for the extremes, because it will reduce the level of comfort which can be achieved by the majority. That might sound a bit mean but that's what good design is all about :P
Also, if you wanna make sure, KHHI do custom handle sizing for slightly less than ten dollars extra usually. Mix and matching blade styles is usually pretty cheap as well.
I'll keep the updates coming and will reply to everything, but progress is going to be pretty sparse as it's mostly production stuff from here on in. I'll be sure to post any photos of any of the first attempts at construction if I get sent any, but in the meantime feel free to share your opinions on various cheap handle materials and blade finishes, like hand rubbed satin, mirror, matte, raw etc.
Thanks for your interest :)

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

My biggest concern with a sharpened swedge is that many jurisdictitons have bans on double bladed knives but if you left it unsharpend (but still capable of holding an edge) it would open a lot more market space!
As for battoning, I personaly think that it is only a life or death practice (but I'm a tomahawk/axe/hatchet guy all my life, which actualy led me to khukris-they are an axe IMHO) but I do frequently split kindling by placing the palm of my hand on the back of the blade and, with fingers splayed away from the edge, pushing down with partial body wieght.
I've done it for years, even with my hatchets or such, and it works well for me and that is another reason to leave the swedge unsharpend until it gets to the end user.
Just some thoughts!

Spaniard

Post by Spaniard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Fugglesby wrote:There was a lot of debate on it, especially between my colleague at KHHI and myself, but at the moment the choice is unpolished buffalo horn for durability, price and cool factor. I'm a little worried that it'll cause nasty vibrations compared to wood
I've never had any vibration issues with buffalo horn-handled kukhris.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info :)

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Oops and turtlewolf, yeah I've never really needed to baton with a khukuri, I just split like I do with an axe.
I completely agree with your statement on difficulty getting the knife through customs and legality, I did a lot of research on that a long way back. Australia has pretty draconian knife laws (Nothing that isn't for utility or cultural purposes imported by an individual, no knives carried in public unless it is for a lawful recreational pursuit, employment etc), but this design is fine here as the size of the knife stops it from being classified as a dagger because it can't be concealed easily even though it has a double edge. It gets classified more as a machete/sword.
If you or anyone else here knows of any particular laws in places that would have an issue with this design, please let me know and I'll do my best to find a workaround.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Fugglesby wrote:Oops and turtlewolf, yeah I've never really needed to baton with a khukuri, I just split like I do with an axe.
I completely agree with your statement on difficulty getting the knife through customs and legality, I did a lot of research on that a long way back. Australia has pretty draconian knife laws (Nothing that isn't for utility or cultural purposes imported by an individual, no knives carried in public unless it is for a lawful recreational pursuit, employment etc), but this design is fine here as the size of the knife stops it from being classified as a dagger because it can't be concealed easily even though it has a double edge. It gets classified more as a machete/sword.
If you or anyone else here knows of any particular laws in places that would have an issue with this design, please let me know and I'll do my best to find a workaround.
I know in Texas we can't carry knives that are double edged, but since this is classified as a machete/sword, I think it'll be fine here.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

haha you guys in the US have it crazy good.
We can't even get double edged knives into the country and can get arrested for so much as carrying a swiss army knife. They've even changed the wording folding knives so that as well as spring assisted, gravity and ATF knives, any folding pocket knife which can be opened with one hand is illegal.
So you might be able to grasp why I don't really understand this whole legal carry thing ans nothing is legal down here to carry.
How does this kind of law get enforced?
If it's in the back of your car is that enough to break it, or is it just carrying it in public which is the issue?
Would wilderness use when camping be acceptable?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 pm

In some places it's a carrying issue and in others it's a possession issue.

For example, you can own double edged knives in Texas, but you can't carry them. In some states that aren't Texas, you can't even possess them thanks to state laws.

It all comes down to state and even sometimes town laws.

If you want to look up individual state laws regarding knives, I think Knifecenter.com has a list of laws by state.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Will do, thanks Mr Chimp :)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Fugglesby wrote:Will do, thanks Mr Chimp :)
No problem, Fugglesby.

Glad I could help out.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm

In Canada it isn't a crime to own double edged blades of any variety, some citys have laws in place about blades but they are hard to enforce on non locals and hard to understand at the best of times.
Just me personaly as an individual I'ld like to see the option of having it sharpened or not as I would prefer not just for the way I use my blades in the woods.

Djchina777
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland being first favorite and Dawn of the Dead being my second

Post by Djchina777 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:30 pm

i'd definately buy the second one its sleeker and i'd feel more comfortable holding it but it definately need the kind of cresent the Gurkhas from Nepal put on it when they invented it. what it does is keed blood from reaching your hand but more importantly its more true to the official design i'd buy it regardless but id like it to have that part

Its this crescent curve with a spike in the middle that trickles the blood off

Gunmetal Crew Chief
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead TV Show
Dead Snow
Dead and Breakfast
28 days later
Land of the Dead
Orig, DOTD

Post by Gunmetal Crew Chief » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Storm Crow wrote:I didn't jump in on the other thread. I make knives for a living, so take that how you will.

I voted for #2 of the two available designs. The tip is stronger but will still penetrate just fine. The lines flow better.

I would suggest cutting out a full-sized mockup from heavy cardboard or some plywood to see how it fits. I'm very suspicious that the notch for the index finger is too small. Take out the point there and you'll be fine.

I'd personally prefer a hammering pommel than a skullcrusher (a hammer pommel will crush a skull just fine and is more generally useful).
It is ok to echo Storm Crows words? Couldnt have said it better myself.
Visit my Blog--->> http://www.gunmetalgearblog.com

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

DJchina, The Cho isn't actually meant to be a blood drip, nobody really knows why it was first introduced, but it's said to symbolise a cows hoof, or udder or various other pieces of Hindu imagery. It's just there for tradition and making a great little weak spot at the base of the blade. The bottle opener cho that's on there would drip blood as well, but also has the function of a bottle opener, which I think is a little bit cooler.
Gunmetal, it's definitely fine to echo storm crows words, as I took every bit of sage advice he imparted in the comment you quoted and the design is now better off as a result.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Would it be at all feasible to have a shorter false edge/swedge, just the first inch or two, so that it gives you a point for thrusting, but still leaves a platform for batonning?

Gunmetal Crew Chief
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead TV Show
Dead Snow
Dead and Breakfast
28 days later
Land of the Dead
Orig, DOTD

Post by Gunmetal Crew Chief » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Jeriah wrote:Would it be at all feasible to have a shorter false edge/swedge, just the first inch or two, so that it gives you a point for thrusting, but still leaves a platform for batonning?
SMART! DAmnit, why didnt i think of that.

I dont think you can do a hammering pommel on that type of handle from the pics can you? Unless you weld it on the bottom of the stick tang...right? Are you doing a stick tang or rat tail, tapered, full? Is that handle in the pics just a proto for fitting? You could rivet on a hammerhead of sorts the same way the Russians attached the Bayonet Clip on their AK Bayos...its just a couple rivets that are attached to the tang, under the handle scales.
Visit my Blog--->> http://www.gunmetalgearblog.com

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm

It's a full tang, when i was shaping that handle prototype I had a grey 8mm line doown the middle showing the thickness of the tang but I ended up sanding it off completely.The large flat portion of the pommel is for hammering and does a pretty good job with the metal model I made up, think ontario rtak type stuff. I would've liked to include big metal bolsters and have the bottom one with a dedicated dimpled hammering surface but it'll put the knife way over budget. Perhaps for a later design.
I did a few sketches with a shorter swedge but it really messes up the lines if it doesn't terminate at the blade's elbow. In my experience with my KHHI max, which is 11 inches, i never felt the need to do any batoning. You can just bring it straight on down like you would an axe and the heft of the knife puts it through. If it only gets halfway you can just try again or list up teh log and knife and swing while it's still wedged in there.
The way I see it is that having a shorter back edge compromises the aesthetic and identity of the knife, but I still recognise that batoning ability is something people still want. We could make the back portion an unsharpened swedge, but then there'd be a group of users who'd be upset by the absence of a sharpened edge. The obvious solution if pleasing everyone was the goal would be to have two different options, sharpened back edge and regular swedge and considering the individual and easily altered handmade construction of this knife, that's definitely possible. If not, I'd be leaning towards selling the product as only having an sharpened back edge, purely because it's a lot easier for a user to remove the point from an edge with sandpaper and whatnot than putting a completely new edge on it.
I've sent an email to my collaborator asking if we can provide an unsharpened option in the same manner that they've done multiple handle choices before.
I'll post developments on that line of enquiry as soon as I get a response :)

Return to “Other Weapons”