Poll: Which Zombie Khukuri would you buy?

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which Apocalypse/Zombie Khukuri would you buy?

DESIGN #1- Bowie style clip point with ridged handle
25%
DESIGN #2- Straight clip point with smooth ergo handle
75%

Total votes: 48

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 am

Alrighty, I'm an Australian designer who's collaborating with Khukuri House Handicraft Industry (http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to create an Apocalyptic/Anti-zombie Khukuri.
I've pitched my designs to the forum so people can have a say on the designs and give feedback, which produced some great stuff and can be found here:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 3&t=101203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But now is the time for decision making!
There are two designs so far which are favourites and your input as to which of the two you would be more likely to buy.
The designs are as follows:

NUMBER ONE: This design features ribbed handles for a better grip, a serrated back edge and a clip point variant on the traditional khukuri format for added menace and piercing capabilities. The "cho" or blood drip has been altered so instead of being shaped like a cows hoof for traditional hindu reasons, it forms a bottle opener with the front guard. It also has an extended tang for lanyard purposes and as a skullcrusher. The serration shape is not set in stone as of yet, the Khukuri would be 8 mm thick and have a 15 inch blade. It would be priced at the $100 dollar mark.

NUMBER TWO: This design features a smooth, ergonomic handle shape, larger front guard, more elegant styling, a larger sharpened back edge but a smaller serrated portion. It sticks more with the traditional and time tested Khukuri blade shape, though with a slightly elongated and raised point for better penetration dynamics. It has a similar skullcrusher and bottle opener/cho. This design would also be 8mm thick, would have a 15 inch long blade and would be priced at $100.

Ultimately, this is Saroj's from KHHI's decision, but getting some clear quantitative data on which is the preferred design would help ensure that the right design is chosen :)
Feel free to vote for both, but only if you would buy both instead of just one.
One of these designs WILL GO INTO PRODUCTION, so take this chance to have your say and help deliver the best apocalypse khukuri possible!

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Re: Poll: Which Zombie Khukuri would you buy?

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 am

Neither actualy, the serrations on the back are garbage to me (others like them) and the sharpened back edge (swedge) makes the blade useless for actual camp work which is the biggest job of a large blade after the End of Days. I bought the Kabar Khukri Machete in part becuase of it's unique design that incorporated a clip point that actualy gives it a decent thrusting tip and detracts nothing from its chopping ability.
I think something more traditional like that would be better, but that is just one users oppinion that wouldn't buy either design even if I do think the snakey other worldly recurve blades do look cool.
However if design number two had an unsharpened back edge and a square pommel crusher (like the Ontario Knife Company Ranger models as well as the handle from number one (but oval, not round, they role like hell!) I could see an almost likeable blade.
I suppose even the back serrations (twitch) could be used as a fire steel striker.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:32 am

I didn't jump in on the other thread. I make knives for a living, so take that how you will.

I voted for #2 of the two available designs. The tip is stronger but will still penetrate just fine. The lines flow better.

I would suggest cutting out a full-sized mockup from heavy cardboard or some plywood to see how it fits. I'm very suspicious that the notch for the index finger is too small. Take out the point there and you'll be fine.

I'd personally prefer a hammering pommel than a skullcrusher (a hammer pommel will crush a skull just fine and is more generally useful).
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Of the two, I'm going with the second sketch.

It has a more traditional look and as Storm Crow said, the lines just flow better.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Put me in line behind storm crow and chimp. Though like storm crow i like the hammre pommel over the spiked pommel.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 pm

I like the second design better as well.
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Storm Crow wrote:I didn't jump in on the other thread. I make knives for a living, so take that how you will.

I voted for #2 of the two available designs. The tip is stronger but will still penetrate just fine. The lines flow better.

I would suggest cutting out a full-sized mockup from heavy cardboard or some plywood to see how it fits. I'm very suspicious that the notch for the index finger is too small. Take out the point there and you'll be fine.

I'd personally prefer a hammering pommel than a skullcrusher (a hammer pommel will crush a skull just fine and is more generally useful).
The pommel I suggested is just that, I just had a thought however-aren't these recurve bowie knives? Not khukris? I decided to step up and vote as well, for number 2 with a Ontario Knife Company Ranger Knife style pommel.

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:The pommel I suggested is just that, I just had a thought however-aren't these recurve bowie knives? Not khukris? I decided to step up and vote as well, for number 2 with a Ontario Knife Company Ranger Knife style pommel.
I'd say the top one would be closer to a recurved large Bowie, but I see the second one as a khukuri with a sharpened top edge.

I meant to comment earlier that I suspect that the grooves on the first one's handle are going to start eating into your handle in short order. The shape of the handle should provide a secure grip, not the texture. A lot of texture will lead to blisters in short order if you're doing any amount of chopping.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, replying by PM :)

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 am

Storm Crow wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:The pommel I suggested is just that, I just had a thought however-aren't these recurve bowie knives? Not khukris? I decided to step up and vote as well, for number 2 with a Ontario Knife Company Ranger Knife style pommel.
I'd say the top one would be closer to a recurved large Bowie, but I see the second one as a khukuri with a sharpened top edge.

I meant to comment earlier that I suspect that the grooves on the first one's handle are going to start eating into your handle in short order. The shape of the handle should provide a secure grip, not the texture. A lot of texture will lead to blisters in short order if you're doing any amount of chopping.
My Kabar Khukri has a similar handle and I strangly realy don't have issues using it long term, maybe the kraton they use is just good stuff because generaly you are correct! I should have considered handle material when I made my suggestion.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:35 am

#2 for sure, though when I tried to vote-
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Return to the topic last visited
Anyway, I love the look of the pommel, just afraid of paking/cutting myself with it... maybe just flatten 1/4" of it, at the tip... Still concentrates impact force, but no cutting your self.

Btw, I would love to see some more 3-D ish looks at the grip area!

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 am

I'm not having the problem but I can't see a way of fixing it either. If anyone else has this problem, just drop a comment in as Maldon has done :)

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm

The problem with the poll is it only works with certain "skins" of the site. I think the default skin is the only one that works with the polls, but I could be wrong.

I must admit that I'm not a fan of the saw teeth grooves on the back of either blade, but I suppose one could use them for striking a fire steel or something. Maybe lose 7 of the 8 grooves and keep the last one for striking a fire steel.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Forgive my ignorance because I am by no means a khukuri guru, but doesn't design #1 defeat the entire purpose of the khukuri? I was always under the impression that the blade was recurved down so that when holding the knife in your hand in a natural position you could stab with it and therefore not require you to bend your wrist downward in a unnatural postion to get the blade down.

Natural grip, knife points upward. Not good for thrusting.

Natural grip, khukuri angles downward. Good for thrusting.

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 pm

That's what I was thinking as well, Maverick299.

To me, Design #1 is simply an over-sized Bowie knife whereas Design #2 has more of a traditional khukuri style.

As it stands, I already have a Bowie knife, but I'm lacking in the khukuri department. Which is why I went with Design #2.

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm

I have sat in camp chairs, and on the ground and on logs, and every now and again, the pommel would hit me in the kidney... So havinf a point on it would just hurt more. I have used my khukuri to pound in plastic tent stakes, but I used the flat of the blade. Battoning fire wood is easier with a flat or slightly rounded spine. For crushing skulls, the 'knee' on the back of the blade would work better than the butt end I think. Handle materials are fine, as long as I am not forced into just one grip, like with finger grooves.

I like the second one better, but I don't love it.
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Khukuris are recurved downwards for chopping power, not stabbing ability. That may be a secondary effect, I suppose, but stabbing is not a major usage of the khukuri. The drop below the level of your knuckles adds to chopping power, but it can be tricky to control if it glances off.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Good feedback everyone! I've got a hybrid hammer pommel compromise going right now which should please.
As for this angle of thrust thing, It's not quite the whole purpose of a khukuris bend, in that it's mostly to contribute to a weight forward design and the positioning of the knife's sweet spot but it is very useful.
The reasoning for changing the angle at which the knife's point occurs relative to hand grip is the type of thrusting which would be taking place. A ghurka's khukri would have this fist type of thrust, which is very efficient at going through flesh. However, these khukuris are designed primarily for zombies as far as the offensive properties go and the only way to kill a zombie would be by damaging the brain, severing spinal cord etc. In that kind of scenario, where the point has to penetrate through bone in the skull, this fist hold produces a great deal of twisting force and deflects the point upwards, wasting a lot of energy. You can test this out with a pair of big kitchen scissors if you'd like. If you hold them on the blade, with your fist at a slightly tilted forward angle, then punch a wall, it just pushes the top of the blade back and bends your wrist. Not ideal.
If you flip scissors around the other way , holding by the handle in the same hammer grip, but with the fist fully at an angle, then punch a wall something different happens. There isn't any twisting force as the force is going parrallel to the grip, giving full penetration force, meaning you could actually penetrate such hard materials as plywood or skulls.
This does produce an uncomfortable hand grip though, and while I can't speak for the blade design of number 1, as it is my collaborator's, the point on number 2 is raised slightly higher than on a traditional khukuri, with the handle slightly offset.
This gives a way more comfortable and strong grip on the knife when thrusting, but while also keeping the forces from thrusting going straighter into the grip.
Sorry if that was a little long and boring, but it's just a b it of an explanation for those of you that are wondering.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Stormcrow's on the case already though I see hahaha

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Storm Crow wrote:Khukuris are recurved downwards for chopping power, not stabbing ability. That may be a secondary effect, I suppose, but stabbing is not a major usage of the khukuri. The drop below the level of your knuckles adds to chopping power, but it can be tricky to control if it glances off.

I knew that!...............

Cause I read you saying it a while back :lol:

SteveCA

Post by SteveCA » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:19 pm

If I just had to get a khukuri and only those 2 were available I would pick #2.
Two wrongs don't make a right but two "L"'s make a "Y".

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 am

First, have you tried holding mock-ups of those upside down, because they don't look too comfy that way, and I don't imagine the saw would be very useful oriented towards the back of your hand unless you're cutting up into something? Unless they're really just decorative, which is fine, but not my preference. Secondly, is the bottle opener designed to be used in the sheath? It looks like you'd have to pull against the blade to get leverage in the right direction, if I'm seeing it right. Those would be my concerns, along with the previously maligned sharp pommel.

But yeah, I like the second one better...

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 am

Turtlewolf wrote:Neither actualy, the serrations on the back are garbage to me (others like them) and the sharpened back edge (swedge) makes the blade useless for actual camp work which is the biggest job of a large blade after the End of Days. I bought the Kabar Khukri Machete in part becuase of it's unique design that incorporated a clip point that actualy gives it a decent thrusting tip and detracts nothing from its chopping ability.
I think something more traditional like that would be better, but that is just one users oppinion that wouldn't buy either design even if I do think the snakey other worldly recurve blades do look cool.
However if design number two had an unsharpened back edge and a square pommel crusher (like the Ontario Knife Company Ranger models as well as the handle from number one (but oval, not round, they role like hell!) I could see an almost likeable blade.
I suppose even the back serrations (twitch) could be used as a fire steel striker.
I would have to agree. To be brutally honest they look too Chinese, mass produced, gimmicky and fleamarket-esque for me. I prefer something practical than pretty. Not trying to put down your design skills just giving my opinion.
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Handle from first one, no serrations.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

Return to “Other Weapons”