Tomahawk Choice

For those who live in areas where firearms are not an option and those that are smart enough to have a back up.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which One?

Cold Steel Spike Hawk
10%
Cold Steel Trench hawk
4%
United M48
11%
SOG (please spcify model)
19%
Estwing (yes they make tomahawks now)
12%
Other
44%

Total votes: 91

praharin

Re: Tomahawk Choice

Post by praharin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:44 am

Cold Steel's tomahawk handles are basically junk. The grain is usually way off. Add to that the levels of tortional force put on them by poor throws and they will break. Proper hardwood handles are out there at reasonable prices or carve your own. Its more work, but a good skill to have IMO. They should be voewed as semi-disposible, like rifle/pistol magazines anyway.

Give my vote to Equinox Coronado. Mike and his crew (his wife and dauhters) will treat you right. They run about $250 but come with a Happiness Guarantee. If for some reason you aren't happy, they will go out of their way to fix it. Even if that means a refund.
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

Bolo

Post by Bolo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:01 am

any feedback on the Fort Turners?

http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looking at the Rogers' Rangers spiked hawk but that Norse spiked hawk is also chanting my name.... Any advice?
peace through superior firepower

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 am

praharin wrote:Cold Steel's tomahawk handles are basically junk. The grain is usually way off. Add to that the levels of tortional force put on them by poor throws and they will break. Proper hardwood handles are out there at reasonable prices or carve your own. Its more work, but a good skill to have IMO. They should be voewed as semi-disposible, like rifle/pistol magazines anyway.

Give my vote to Equinox Coronado. Mike and his crew (his wife and dauhters) will treat you right. They run about $250 but come with a Happiness Guarantee. If for some reason you aren't happy, they will go out of their way to fix it. Even if that means a refund.
Both of mine have almost perfect grain and have lasted pretty good, they are what they are though.
You're right about making hafts, it's a good idea to practice if you can.
That said any future tomahawk purchases are a lot further off in the future now because I am now in the process of waiting on a custom project from some one that went in a different, maybe more practical, area.
Oh, I don't throw my tomahawks-ever.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Bolo wrote:any feedback on the Fort Turners?

http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looking at the Rogers' Rangers spiked hawk but that Norse spiked hawk is also chanting my name.... Any advice?
I think you should get both and do a review, that way I know which one I should buy.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

lost in utah

Post by lost in utah » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 pm

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/company.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the kill devil

Cu Chulainn

Post by Cu Chulainn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:04 pm

I don't have any spiked models (I prefer hammer polls), but I'll vouch for his work being top notch. I have a polled Iroquois and Norse hawk.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Cu Chulainn wrote:

I don't have any spiked models (I prefer hammer polls), but I'll vouch for his work being top notch. I have a polled Iroquois and Norse hawk.
Off topic in my own thread, but is your screen name based in Celtic Mythos by any chance?

Cu Chulainn

Post by Cu Chulainn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Yes.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:04 am

I get wholesale pricing on the united M48s. Anyone played with them? I have nice axes/hatchets, just sort of want a toy that isn't half-ass-terrible against wood.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I get wholesale pricing on the united M48s. Anyone played with them? I have nice axes/hatchets, just sort of want a toy that isn't half-ass-terrible against wood.
I've researched these a ton and it seems that for a cheap item the only issue is an occasional failed handle (air bubbles it seems) they aren't super hard for a cheap steel and the blade profile actualy lends itself to splitting wood reasonably well.
The beard also helps protect your knickles if you wanted to use it in bushcraft tasks.
Up here the M48 generaly runs almost $50, if you can get em wholesale i say buy two and beat on them.
BTW, I like the new name!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:38 pm

I prefer something like this.

But for those who like a hawk with a spike the LaGana Tactical Tomahawk is made in the USA and can be found for under 100 dollars. I haven't used mine much because I prefer an axe or hatchet so can't say how well they hold up in the field but it seems well made.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Woods Walker, thankyou for the reply.
As I stated in earlier posts I have many chopping tools, hatchets, tomahawks, machetes of various styles, knives and axes. Originaly I had a very specific task in mind for the spike and it had nothing to do with tactical, however this entire project has been shelved as I await a custom order of a different variety.
I actualy have more choppers than I generaly use in a year and my wife has informed me that I may need a proctologist if I aquire many more!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 am

Turtlewolf

If you ever get back on this project here is what I think about some of the poll options. Personally I would never buy a hatchet or hawk in SS. Not sure why they did that with the M48? :? All the Cold Steel hawks I owned had the head get loose. The steel however seemed good and maybe this is one reason why people sometimes carry just the head and haft it in the field if needed. Who know? This isn't to say people haven't had good luck with Cold Steel handles or the M48.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:22 am

Woods Walker wrote:Turtlewolf

If you ever get back on this project here is what I think about some of the poll options. Personally I would never buy a hatchet or hawk in SS. Not sure why they did that with the M48? :? All the Cold Steel hawks I owned had the head get loose. The steel however seemed good and maybe this is one reason why people sometimes carry just the head and haft it in the field if needed. Who know? This isn't to say people haven't had good luck with Cold Steel handles or the M48.
I always debur the eye of my Cold Steel Tomahawks and work over the hafts so you get a good solid friction fit, although wood still shrinks and expands I haven't realy had issues with head looseness after I rework one-I also toss the terrible set screw!
I would actualy consider my Pipehawk a good in between for my Fiskars X7 and the Fiskars X15, it splits pretty well, chops good and isn't any more difficult to make fine tinder with.
The Trailhawk is a fun light wieght tool but the very narrow bit splits very poorly except on smaller wood (which in reality is all you may have access to in a survival situation), but again it tinders well, holds an edge and chops very decently.
Mt Cold Steel tomahawks were all picked off the shelf however and the grain is perfect in the handles so I haven't had any issues there either, my biggest issue has been cost-they run $40-50 up here.
I agree on the stainless, but some stainless blades surprise such as my 420HC Buck blades that chop pretty well and hold an edge forever. I've also seen decent reports on the M48 working okay as well, but having no field experience with them myself shouldn't realy comment. The M48 also runs $50-60 up here as well.
I've been around axes and blades all my life so I generaly don't step into something lightly and I base most of my advice and choices on my own past field experience.
Again, thankyou for your reply!

prekarious

Post by prekarious » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 pm

M48 is nice for having something that you can just abuse and not feel bad about. Not knocking it, I do have a couple and don't feel bad about using the for stuff that should be at edge or beyond their abilities.
However, next hawk will definitely be the GG&G Battle Hawk
Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:16 pm

The sheath that comes with the SOG Fasthawk and the larger version is basically cordura covered milk jug plastic. Mine didn't hold up to wear very well, but I also reshaped the spikes to be more useful.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:49 am

I have been looking at hawks recently also. I've come to the conclusion that if I buy one I'll go with a hand made hawk. There is a guy close to me that makes some beauties. He has an ebay store: http://myworld.ebay.com/butchesforge?_t ... 7675.l2559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now there is only a hammer type, but frequently I see him put out some nice spikes.

kwailo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kwailo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm

I bought 2 SOG Fasthawks, for my wife and oldest daughter's bag. Decently sharp right out of the pack, 1 was able to cut paper right away, the other just needed a few passes across a 4000 stone. I intend to file the spike sharpish when I have my files out next.

Johnnie_T

Post by Johnnie_T » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm

I voted for Estwing. My grandfather is a carpenter and there were always lots of Estwing tools around growing up. Hatchets, roofing tools, and hammers just to name a few. They seemed to outlast everything else in his shop and now my Estwing hatchet is working on that same reputation.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:16 pm

I had several hawks in the sub $200 range... including a few hand forged Craig Barr customs.

Then I found some hawks at a gun show from a company called 2hawks... http://www.2hawks.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We paid $190 for three of them as part of a group buy with a buddy of mine.

I have a small belt hawk and a longer/larger hawk by them I think they call them "Woodsman" and "Longhunter" buddy also got a "Longhunter".

Havent looked back, and sold the ones I had that were not 2hawks.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Tactical_Havik

Post by Tactical_Havik » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am

I kinda like the SOG fasthawk and the sheath design. wouldn't mind picking one of those up soon.
"If you can't get it done with 10 rounds of 45 you dont need more ammo you need air support."
XD "Maxine"
MP15 "Clarice"

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 am

So is this the tomahawk thread?

Boker tomahawk. Couldn't find many reviews on it prior to buying but I liked that it was a solid piece of steel and not a couple hundred bucks. Been beating it up a bit. My only complaint is the handles. The G10 scales are terrible and I found just wrapping the metal with paracord kinda meh. So I wrapped some electric tape around the handle and then wrapped the paracord. Like it much more. Tempted to purchase one to leave in the Jeep, where my old Fasthawk has been banished to.

*Not sure why the forum is cutting part of my image down. Resized it a few times with no luck*

Turtlewolf

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 am

Oddly enough there isn't a tomahawk thread, there should be though. I don't mind if this is used as such.

FlungPup
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by FlungPup » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm

I'd sleep with this one:

http://www.hardcorehardware.com.au/weapons/bft01.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swing Your Fists While You Still Have Them!

"Successful outcomes breed bullshit solutions." - Paul Gomez

Return to “Other Weapons”